• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FBI’s New U.S. Terrorist Threat: ‘Black Identity Extremists’

This is basically a civil war.

Our federal government doesn't fuck with us. How long until they start raiding and hit us with bullshit charges.

None of these "BIE" are even armed?!! What the fuck are they referring to? God, this racist ass country is so fucked.

Dartastic

Ah yes, "perceptions" of police brutality towards African Americans.

Fuck you, FBI. Just... fuck you. You've been doing this shit to black people for decades.

BluWacky

But why would they give white supremacists and neo-nazis a pass, but target black activists groups?

Do they? This is the same law enforcement agency who is being spun as announcing that white nationalism is as big a threat as radical Islam (perhaps not how I'd interpret the figures but there you go).

This is not to downplay the potential rhetoric behind this report or any biases the FBI may endemically have - I don't know. I'm not even from the USA. However, I would say:

i) Unfortunately, with so many police brutality allegations mired in quicksand and obfuscation, the FBI is very likely attempting to avoid further controversy by continually writing "alleged" or "perceptions" in their report. They are trying to avoid outright stating something slanderous that could prejudice something not completely proven. Of COURSE there is a problem with police brutality, and of course what the FBI have written comes across as if they're denying it because that's what we think as readers from the word "alleged"; but that's just the nature of the beast.

ii) Activism is not the same thing as "ideologically motivated criminal activity" on paper. In the minds of an investigator with bias unconscious or otherwise, perhaps there is - but at least in the words of a report, this isn't the case.

I worry that I'm sounding like a terrible apologist in the above, and I'm not intending to be. However, I also don't think that this report is intended to be some kind of horrific racist finger-pointing exercise; it simply identifies that some instances of domestic terrorism can occur through a twisting of an extremely positive ideology.

Blader

'Black Identity Extremist' sounds like the kind of thing you'd make up when writing satire. Jesus Christ.

SeanC

Where was BLM named an extremist group by the FBI? FBI is talking about people like the Dallas shooter.

The article directly references the FBI bringing up BLM rallies? BLM movement also noting concerns about FBI surveillance on them?

That's the issue here, isn't it? That this is leading to just that?

Karkador

Banned
So who makes these decisions at the FBI? Serious question.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the diversity stats for the FBI, which I presume are these:

https://www.fbijobs.gov/working-at-FBI/diversity

Although it seems like they've tried to more or less match the targets of our census on diversity (60% of the country is white, therefore 60% of the FBI is white), I feel like I'm missing part of the picture.

Who decides what intelligence gets gathered, what designations get made, etc? Is there an overwhelming bias against non-whites, despite the "representative" diversity they're reporting?

Show me the trend of so called black identity extremist groups turning to violence and plotting to kill other Americans. We already see it with white supremacists. Show me the receipts.

From the document itself:
  • On 7 July 2016, Micah Johnson ambushed and shot 11 law enforcement officers, killing five, in
    downtown Dallas, Texas, during a First Amendment protected protest, before being ultimately killed by police.
    The five deceased officers were white. The planned public event was protesting recent officer-involved shootings of
    African Americans in Louisiana and Minnesota. Based on Johnson's journal writings and statements to police, he
    appeared to have been influenced by BIE ideology.
  • On 23 October 2014, Zale H. Thompson attacked four white New York Police
    Department (NYPD) officers in Queens with a hatchet. One officer received injuries to the
    arm and a second officer received an injury to the side of his head. The two remaining NYPD
    officers at the scene shot and killed Thompson according to open source reporting. According to
    open source reporting, Thompson was angered after ”a
    recent spate of deaths at the hands of the police." 5 In his own writings, Thompson
    advocated for armed struggle against ”the oppressors" 6 and ”mass revolt" against
    the US social, economic, and political systems, which he perceived to be ”white
    dominated." He also described the United States as a ”beast" and called for
    ”chopping off" its head, hands, and feet. 7 NYPD observed tattoos on Thompson's
    body that indicated he was affiliated with a black separatist extremist group and
    pocket litter indicating he may have been associated with another black separatist
    group according to law enforcement reporting
  • On 4 October and 13 October 2016, an individual allegedly shot at two different police
    stations in Indianapolis, Indiana. The subject left a hand-written note at the scene of one of
    the shootings, in which he identified himself as a Moor and made anti-white statements.
    The subject posted pictures on social media of African American men carrying assault rifles
    behind text calling for social injustice and retribution.9 The subject was later involved in a
    shootout with police during his arrest on related charges according to law enforcement
    reporting
  • On 17 July 2016, Gavin Eugene Long ambushed and shot six law enforcement
    officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, before eventually being killed by police. 12 The deceased
    victims included one African American officer and one white officer from the Baton Rouge
    Police Department, and one white officer from the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office.
    Long had expressed black separatist rhetoric both on social media and in his manifesto,
    including rants against ”crackers" and reference to an African American male killed by
    police in Baton Rouge on 5 July 2016. 13, 14 In his manifesto, Long expressed his frustrations
    with the police and criminal justice system in the United States and saw his actions ”as a
    necessary evil... in order to create substantial change." 15 A law enforcement search of
    Long's laptop contained biographical information and residential addresses of two officers
    involved in the Alton Sterling shooting, and Google searched directions to one of the
    officer's home address. 16 Long had also declared himself to be a Moor, had changed his
    ”slave" name to the Moorish name Cosmo Ausar Setepenra, and was carrying a Moorish
    identification card at the time of his death according to open source reporting
  • On 13 September 2016, an individual reportedly intentionally drove his vehicle
    toward three white officers with the Police Department in Phoenix, Arizona, outside a gas
    station, striking two of them before he was arrested. 19 The subject's social media accounts
    indicated that he was tied to a BIE group and a Moorish group, 20, 21 and that he was angry
    over police shootings since at least the killing of Brown in 2014.22 Consistent with BIE
    statements on social media, the subject stated, ”The Caucasian needs to be slaughtered like
    the pigs that they are right along with the niggas who serve and protect them" according to
    law enforcement reporting
  • On 21 November 2014, a BIE was arrested and eventually convicted for
    purchasing explosives the subject intended to use in the Ferguson area upon release of the
    grand jury verdict for the police officer involved in the shooting death of Brown. 25 He
    previously discussed a desire to kill the white St. Louis County prosecutor and the white
    Ferguson police chief who were involved in Brown's case, according to FBI information.
    Additionally, the subject had ties to a BIE group 26 that had discussed ambushing police. 27
    Furthermore, the subject had ties to the sovereign citizen movement 28, 29 filed paperwork
    declaring himself an ”aboriginal/indigenous free sovereign moor," 30, 31 and possessed a
    Moorish identification card according to open source reporting

The article directly references the FBI bringing up BLM rallies? BLM movement also noting concerns about FBI surveillance on them?

That's the issue here, isn't it? That this is leading to just that?

Obviously they are going to surveil BLM in search of extremist within their ranks.

I'm not saying it's right, I just meant they haven't named BLM an extremist group.

Slayven

Only a matter of time before they bring back a one hit wonder

maxresdefault.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Now cops will justify shooting black people in the back with "he may have been an Identity Extremist."

Now the media will dig through the facebook timeline of a slain POC, find they "liked" a news story about an ordinary Black Lives Matter demonstration and break the news "he was no angel - suspect liked Identity Extremists."

MLH

The utter hypocrisy. if black extremists are a problem enough for the FBI to call them a threat what are these neo-nazi fucks we're seeing parading around, bombing mosques and other places of worship, beating black people and minorities, recruiting more and becoming a greater and greater threat to civilised society?

But I suppose the FBI only cares about threats to itself and the estabishment, not innocent people... and neo nazis don't target their own, do they. fascist fucks.
You guys need revolution.

Raven117

The utter hypocrisy. if black extremists are a problem enough for the FBI to call them a threat what are these neo-nazi fucks we're seeing parading around, bombing mosques and other places of worship, beating black people and minorities, recruiting more and becoming a greater and greater threat to civilised society?

But I suppose the FBI only cares about threats to itself and the estabishment, not innocent people... and neo nazis don't target their own, do they. fascist fucks.
You guys need revolution.

They are under surveillance.

Instro

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that there may be violent individuals using the current issues and situations as motivation for violent attacks on police and others, we've seen the examples post Ferguson, and they are listed in the document. It's also reasonable to say there may be some hiding within BLM ranks that subscribe to such ideas. Obviously the optics are terrible, and perhaps this needs to be handled differently, but at the same time it would be negligent of then to ignore potential threats regardless of where they are coming from. It's too easy to get weapons in the country.

Top Bottom