• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles

One game that has been overlooked in the last year and a half is The Dream Machine.

It's a episodic browser based point & click game, made by two people and everything in the world is made by hand.

The game follows a couple that just moved into a new apartment, and while moving in you find some odd stuff in your new home, which lead to a dramatic and horrific journey through your own mind and a twisted world where machine is king.

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.22.21.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.23.44.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.24.10.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.24.36.png

The game is beyond beautiful, and runs amazingly well in the browser environment. As mentioned, it's episodic, and currently the first three episodes are available.

Episode 1 is playable for free, so you can get an idea of what the game is about.

It's fully in english but with no voice acting - http://thedreammachine.se/

Personally it's one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The story is well told and the puzzles are clever, but never headache inducing or stupidly designed, which makes it really fun to play.

Also having it in a browser and having cloud based saves, makes it easy to play anywhere you are.

Fuck dude, this looks like one of my favorite games, Neverhood (my avatar).

Adam Sessler had a great Q&A with the creator in Indie Game Challenge 2012 last month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLHqBcGsqQ#t=3m53s

BluWacky

I noticed the other day that GOG have Broken Sword 4 available. I had no idea this even existed. Has anyone played it?

Yes.

It's not very good, but it's not terrible either. It's slightly less irritating than Broken Sword 3 (fewer stealth and box-pushing puzzles!) but the story is frustrating given the long history we all have with the Broken Sword series.

GhaleonQ

I need to do some reviews of this year's adventure games.

Fuck dude, this looks like one of my favorite games, Neverhood (my avatar).

Nope. Not even close. Doug TenNapel's clay animation is inspired by totally different stuff than their puppet animation is. It gets brought up a lot, for some reason.

Also, the game's episodes aren't fully complete, and they take a long time to make.

I noticed the other day that GOG have Broken Sword 4 available. I had no idea this even existed. Has anyone played it?

I quite liked it, it's definitely worth playing. Istanbul was a cool location, Uncharted 2 would later remind me of it with its museum level.

Never finished it though, so now that it's on GOG might give it a go.

LProtag

Hm, I also want to play the Broken Sword series...

Is the remake/remaster/whatever it is for PC the best way to go for the first game?

wazoo

It is very easy to get what are the good games of the 90s in that genre.

For the 2000 and later, considering the niche/indie genre it has become, I find this more obscure.

I would put Amerzone, Syberia 1/2 and other Sokal games (paradise and one other "Ile Noyée") near the top

The sequels of old series like Broken Sword 4 and In cold Blod from Revolution

Still Life 1 and 2, I heard good things about them, but I think they are not point and click

of course Dreamfall and Jane Jensen Grey Matter

Pandulo Software (Runaway 1/2/3 and the Next Big thing)

A new Beginning anf the other games from their creators

A Vampire Story and the Abbey made by a guy from Lucasarts

Is the remake/remaster/whatever it is for PC the best way to go for the first game?

Yeah, I think it is. A lot of fans don't care for some of the additions in the remake but they've never bothered me, personally. I say go for it and at some point play the original version

It is very easy to get what are the good games of the 90s in that genre.

For the 2000 and later, considering the niche/indie genre it has become, I find this more obscure.

I would put Amerzone, Syberia 1/2 and other Sokal games (paradise and one other "Ile Noyée") near the top

The sequels of old series like Broken Sword 4 and In cold Blod from Revolution

Still Life 1 and 2, I heard good things about them, but I think they are not point and click

of course Dreamfall and Jane Jensen Grey Matter

Pandulo Software (Runaway 1/2/3 and a New Beginning)

The Next Big Thing

A Vampire Story and the Abbey made by a guy from Lucasarts

A New Beginning was made by Daedalic Entertainment. Did you mean to put The Next Big Thing there instead?

Turnstyle

Yes.

It's not very good, but it's not terrible either. It's slightly less irritating than Broken Sword 3 (fewer stealth and box-pushing puzzles!) but the story is frustrating given the long history we all have with the Broken Sword series.

Messofanego said:
I quite liked it, it's definitely worth playing. Istanbul was a cool location, Uncharted 2 would later remind me of it with its museum level.

Never finished it though, so now that it's on GOG might give it a go.

Ok, thanks for the impressions. I might pick it up if it ever gets put on sale. I can't even remember if I finished BS3...seems a long time ago.

wazoo

I have to add that for early adventure games such as Zack Mac Kraken, the FM towns versions are the best one to play, more colors, better sound

Also for early Sierra games, now Dosbox supports MT32 emulation which sound much better than the bad ADLIB soundchip

Bebpo

Banned
EdnaandHarveyTheBreakoutCollectorsEditionFINAL.jpg

EdnaAndHarveyTheBreakout234.jpg

So I finally finished Edna and Harvey by Daedalic Entertainment who apparently went on to do The Whispered World and A New Beginning and even a sequel to Edna & Harvey's New Eyes.

I had heard about this game when it first came out in Europe (Germany?) and heard that it was a hit there and everyone loved it. When it came out here I read the reviews that were all fairly negative and still gave it a shot. The reviews said the game is kind of terrible but the story is charming and since I play adventure games 70% for the storylines, 30% for the gameplay, I figured it might be something up my alley.

First of, this game is LONG. Playing casually it probably took me at least 12-15 hours and I hear people say it's generally a 15-20 hour game, which I don't doubt.

At first the positives come to light, the story is a charming tale of mentally insane patients including our heroine who needs to escape the asylum and prove that her father was innocent of a murder. It's done very light-heartedly with touching flashbacks and there's a ton of humor as your MC is a little insane and has a talking rabbit which is more insane. You can click on EVERYTHING and everything has a unique interaction with every item in your inventory. Really insane amount of unique lines. But if you click everything on anything you see this game will take you forever and be slow as heck. I did that at first, but by the end I was hardly talking to any chairs/overs/soap dishes to see what they say back.

Around halfway you've explored all the rooms in the Asylum and all you've been doing for hours is fetch questing back and forth between rooms to solve a dozen quests that each move the story like 1 conversation further. As you play the puzzles get more and more obtuse.

But the last 1/3rd the puzzles are ridiculously difficult and obtuse and the story is just beginning to pick up gear and you've been playing for 12 hours already...and then it ends abruptly with a 10 second ending clip to pay off for this long slow adventure where very very little has happened over a long period of playtime and fetch questing with annoying puzzles. Yeah...it definitely had worn out its love by the time the credits rolled.

At first I wanted to like it and thought all those reviewers giving it 5/10s and 6/10s were wrong. But after finishing, yeah it's a pretty weak game and not worth the time you need to invest to play it all. It has some good parts, some good puzzles and the flashback scenes are all really great and the best parts of the story. But it's held back by really unconventional puzzles and awful pacing full of fetch questing. It's also really buggy and that can be a little annoying too.

Oh well. Now I'm kind of not interested in playing Whispered World or their other games. I've heard they are better, but I also remember WW got a lot of negative reviews as well as the positive ones, so I don't know....

Think I'm going to go back and finish up Telltale's BttF next. I got to the 3rd episode and it was just decent, but I might as well finish up the story. It's been a while since I played an adventure game that's really impressed me and made me feel satisfied for the time I've invested in playing it by the end. Gray Matter (rushed ending notwithstanding) and Machinarium are probably the last adventure games that were really satisfying throughout.

I dunno, I have a huge backlog of adventure games from the last few years, are any of these ones TRULY great games with compelling stories and worth their time in enjoyment? I love all the classics, but modern adventure games have been so hit or miss in the last decade :| And when they miss it feels like a waste of time if the stories don't pay off.

Gemini Rue, Whispered World, Syberia I & II, Dreamfall, Ceville, Runaway, Broken Sword II, Still Life, Blackwell series after the first game (wasn't impressed by the first one at all), The Book of Unwritten Tales.

MBison

Gemini Rue, Whispered World, Syberia I & II, Dreamfall, Ceville, Runaway, Broken Sword II, Still Life, Blackwell series after the first game (wasn't impressed by the first one at all), The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Of those, I would definitely play:

Gemini Rue, Dreamfall (assume you have played The Longest Journey), Still Life, The Book of Unwritten Tales

Runaway is decent, BS2 is of course classic goodness. Haven't played Ceville or all of TWW.

I had no idea Edna & Harvey was that long. I've always had my eye on it but mostly because of the way it looks. I may still play it at some point but it's at the bottom of the list.

Cranzor

Apologies if somebody asked this, I haven't read the entire thread, but what is the best adventure game to start with? The only one I've ever played is Machinarium which I liked a lot. I am thinking about getting Secret of Monkey Island, but I'm not sure if that's a good one to start out with.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What a great topic. It has convinced me to finally jump into Gemini Rue, which I have owned for months.

currently playing Gemini Rue... it really is pretty good so far :)

any news on a Grim Fandango announcement for GOG or Steam or whatever meanwhile?

no? that's what i thought damnit :(

No. But you get the original as well as the remakes.
The big difference is a prelude made for the remake, compared to the opining as was, it's slow un-engaging and there for fans to have a look at a part of the story only hinted at,
the best way to play them is original first then remake until you hit the originals content.

Apologies if somebody asked this, I haven't read the entire thread, but what is the best adventure game to start with? The only one I've ever played is Machinarium which I liked a lot. I am thinking about getting Secret of Monkey Island, but I'm not sure if that's a good one to start out with.

That's a great one to start with. Also check out the sequel which is on Steam. Also, play the first Gabriel Knight (on GOG) and if you like it check out the sequels.

Minion101

Banned
Even though I've never played any of these games. I find it heartening seeing all those screenshots. I'm going to try playing Grim Fandango again. Never was able to get it to work a few years ago.

mclem

Inspired by the Jane Jensen Kickstarter, I picked up Gray Matter and played through it over the last couple of days.

It's certainly scratched an itch, there. Story was really entertaining although I did tend to be about half a chapter ahead of the plot at any given time (and there was a huge giveaway when - BIG SPOILERS -
the female student in Styles' flashback had a scottish accent
). Puzzles were mostly solid, although sometimes it wasn't quite clear *exactly* what was required to progress, and it commits what I regard as a cardinal sin of adding new hotspots without giving any indication to the player it's doing so:

There's one point - just for a few bonus points, but still - when you have to interact with the flour that's been at the back of the kitchen since the start of the game and has never been a hotspot until that moment)

That's somewhat alleviated by the fact that you can display all hotspots (very welcome! I don't appreciate pixel-hunting)

If I do have one further complaint, it's that the story falls apart a bit at the end. The majority of the final chapter is only tangentially related to the plot, feeling like the puzzles were constructed deliberately to keep you from the denoument.
That has a plot reason, admittedly, but it's rather tenuous

Nevertheless, I rather enjoyed it. It's the first JJ game I've actually finished, and it makes me quite happy to fund the KS.

Katzii

No love (as of yet) for Dracula's Secret?

Fairly simple and short little game, but it was quite fun and had three difficulty levels which mixed all the puzzles up a bit.

31050.jpg

151177-dracula-s-secret-windows-screenshot-headless-horse-man-blocking.gif

vareon

Secret of Monkey Island (and the sequel) IS a good place to start.

Looking for the best and most beautiful iPad adventure games.

Already played both Monkey Islands, but that's about it.

Any advice?

Indeed. Which is why I constantly wonder why they don't make a season 2 of it, and instead make games like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and now The Walking Dead.

I think they said something that the new regime of LucasArts aren´t as interested as the old one that they worked with.

Gustav

Banned
This is probably the best goddamn thread on NeoGAF. Thanks, man!

I want to get into the Tex Murphy games, which ones should I buy? Are the Tex Murphy 1+2 games good?

Tr4nce

Great thread! Point 'n clicks will always remain to be my favorite genre in gaming. I can honestly say that without these games, my youth would have been very different.

Also, a very weird game, and very grimm for that time, the long forgotten 'Harvester'!:

harvest_035.png

Edit: sorry, discoalucard also posted this already.

Ok, how about: The Apprentice. Very good game for a freebie!!!

scrn_apprentice.jpg

Big Red Adventure:

Big%20Red%20Adventure,%20The_6.png

Bud Tucker in Double Trouble:

17886_full.jpg

Kaptain Brawe:

videojuegoblog_kaptainbrawe.jpg

I haven't read the whole thread, but is Quest For Glory still not available digitally? And if I still have my "complete" pack on CD with I - IV, will that work in DOSBox?

Great thread! Point 'n clicks will always remain to be my favorite genre in gaming. I can honestly say that without these games, my youth would have been very different.

Also, a very weird game, and very grimm for that time, the long forgotten 'Harvester'!:

I think there's boobs in that pic, might want to change it.

I never really got into Point and Clicks for various reasons. I always thought the game logic was needlessly complicated just to stymie the player. But I just recently played through Beneath a Steel Sky since it came free with my GOG account and man was that a great game. Totally playable, cool story, great humor and the mechanics actually make sense. I've turned a corner and now find myself eyeing up Monkey Island for iPad, Broken Sword, Gemini Rue, Space Quest on GOG, etc. By week's end I'll likely have bought all of them.

jimi_dini

I haven't read the whole thread, but is Quest For Glory still not available digitally?

Nope.
but I wouldn't give up hope

And if I still have my "complete" pack on CD with I - IV, will that work in DOSBox?

Why Dosbox, when you can run QfG1-3 using ScummVM (and QfG1 EGA/Hero's Quest even with undithered graphics) and ScummVM works even on all sorts of hardware from PC to Mac to Wii...?

Nope.

Why Dosbox, when you can run QfG1-3 using ScummVM (and QfG1 EGA/Hero's Quest even with undithered graphics) and ScummVM works even on all sorts of hardware from PC to Mac to Wii...?

Not sure why I didn't even think about ScummVM - I'll dig out my disc and give that a shot. Thanks!

Ledsen

Amazing thread! Played a lot of these already, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Gemini Rue gets better? I played it for 30 mins. Had to turn off the horrific voice acting, died twice and then had no idea where to go. Promptly uninstalled the game.

epmode

The Blackwell games dramatically improve after the first one. By the time the third one rolls around, it's among some of the best games since Lucasarts.

Amazing thread! Played a lot of these already, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Gemini Rue gets better? I played it for 30 mins. Had to turn off the horrific voice acting, died twice and then had no idea where to go. Promptly uninstalled the game.

I agree that the voice acting isn't very good but I remember the puzzles being rather straightforward, provided you get in the habit of searching for things on the in-game internet.

For some reason I just came to remember Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. I have never encountered anyone who also has played this game that is one of the most bizarre and unique point-and-clickers I've ever played. Due to it's nature I never completed it since many of the puzzles are so obscure and impossible to solve without a lot of trial and error.

xjBev.jpg

XAq9y.jpg

A video showing the game in all it's glory.

Top Bottom