• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Laying Off 900 People - Multiple Studios Effected (Insomniac/Guerilla/Firesprite) - London Studio Shuts Down

GHG

So what you mean is anyone with any brains has left the UK because the pay is bad for the same work.

It's not necessarily that the pay is "bad" there, it's the cost of living combined with all the direct and indirect taxes that crushes people.

In a lot of cases people can take a gross pay reduction when moving overseas and still be better off in terms of net disposable income once all is said and done.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

n2wZTI5.png
I mean if that's current studio London then I'm not surprised. I think Jim is older than all of their ages added together.

More like studio my first game class 101

adamsapple adamsapple More details on the layoffs: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/news/blog/an-important-update-from-playstation-studios/

Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment initiated a reduction in our workforce – including within PlayStation Studios – and I wanted to talk about the impact that will have.

These decisions have been extremely difficult, but they are necessary, and I think it’s important to be transparent:

The US based studios and groups impacted by a reduction in workforce are:
  • Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, as well as our Technology, Creative, and Support teams
In UK and European based studios, it is proposed:
  • That PlayStation Studios’ London Studio will close in its entirety;
  • That there will be reductions in Guerrilla and Firesprite
These are in addition to some smaller reductions in other teams across PlayStation Studios.

Add them to the OP.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Goddamn this is rough.

But, but ..... Its different 🙃

Nothing that was not already pre-announced (although some would like to look the other way until it was announced). It's the Industry in general, massive layoffs were going to happen with or without consolidation. It is a general post-Covid readjustment.

That said, 900 layoffs is much more than one would expect even though the CEO's words already reveal a significant amount.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think the point is they shouldn't have been borrowing so much during a time where revenue was so high, but rather investing their profits in improving the way they do business. They foolishly expected the growth to continue when that was never a realistic possibility.
I don't believe they thought they needed to improve the way they do business prior to the previous quarter. They've been doing what they always do, which is focus on growing the install base by getting more consoles into people's hands. In the past when that happened there was an uptick in software sales large enough to offset the loss caused by the hardware bundles. That growth in software revenue didn't happen the same way this time. Now they are taking action in response.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is serpentine reporting, but we all know why.

The "PC and mobile" statement is completely unrelated to these layoffs but Warren is attempting to conflate the two.

it's in a separate statement from Hermen. Why they needed 2 statements for this, who the fuck knows.

FeralEcho

The cost of everything is going up, so companies are tightening there belts.
I work in the luxury motor vehicle business and we have seen lay offs too, no one is buying luxury items like they used to.
Conpanies:

Cost of everything going up,no one is buying our shit,lets lay off people to ensure economic stability,no one has job,cost of everything is still up,why is no one buying our shit ?
Steve Brule What GIF

I'm convinced mentally retarded people have a monopoly on the CEO positions in these companies.No other explanation,it's simply too retarded.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

it's in a separate statement from Hermen. Why they needed 2 statements for this, who the fuck knows.
"We looked at our studios and our portfolio, evaluating projects in various stages of development, and have decided that some of those projects will not move forward. "

Massacre. Studio closed, games canceled, and layoffs.

Meanwhile Insomniac out there selling DLC for charity.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
The industry got too big it's boots during covid. They thought and hoped the boom period they enjoyed while everyone was forced indoors would stick.

They set unsustainable targets, overhired, overaquired and overleveraged and this is the result.
Yet they were crying in the covid days and how covid is affecting them badly. So which is it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep. Tom wasn’t happy with just a direct quote, needed to editorialize.

Standard operating procedure for Tom, dickless even got banned from Era for it for a bit.

He's paraphrasing Herman Hulst (not Jim) , there's two statements from Playstation out today. The PC and mobile part is in the second one.

Delivering and sustaining social, online experiences – allowing PlayStation gamers to explore our worlds in different ways – as well as launching games on additional devices such as PC and Mobile, requires a different approach and different resources.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This is what happens when a whole industry dips even just a little.
Thing is... its really not, games are selling better than ever.

It's really , as some have said here, a mix of poor leadership, bad external influences to several global economies, the covid inflation , the inflation to the cost of living and finally an unemployable work force who entered the market 2-5 years ago that are more politically oriented than skill oriented.

There's probably even more to mention but if you add the above into a boiling pot that's essentially what many companies, especially in anything tech related are having to confront.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't believe they thought they needed to improve the way they do business prior to the previous quarter. They've been doing what they always do, which is focus on growing the install base by getting more consoles into people's hands. In the past when that happened there was an uptick in software sales large enough to offset the loss caused by the hardware bundles. That growth in software revenue didn't happen the same way this time. Now they are taking action in response.
Hard to have an uptick in software sales when very little first party software is released. They misjudged the effect long development times and inflated budgets would have on consumer engagement.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The US based studios and groups impacted by a reduction in workforce are:

• Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, as well as our Technology, Creative, and Support teams
In UK and European based studios, it is proposed:

• That PlayStation Studios’ London Studio will close in its entirety;
  • That there will be reductions in Guerrilla and Firesprite
oof

Thing is... its really not, games are selling better than ever.

It's really , as some have said here, a mix of poor leadership, bad external influences to several global economies, the covid inflation , the inflation to the cost of living and finally an unemployable work force who entered the market 2-5 years ago that are more politically oriented than skill oriented.

There's probably even more to mention but if you add the above into a boiling pot that's essentially what many companies, especially in anything tech related are having to confront.
Some games are selling well. But yes the industry is down despite the most recent game successes.

This article explains what's happening.

DaGwaphics

Depends on where their debt is held. Japan interest rates are still near 0.

This is likely more a reaction to the global economic situation which is a direct result of sticky inflation.

With the excessive inflation of basic cost of living expenses, you've got to think that all non essential markets are going to feel it.

With that said, I can see the other side of the coin as well. Where you could make a case that these cuts are unnecessary at Sony because the profit loss they had was largely driven by a lack of first-party releases during the quarter. It creates that weird situation where overall numbers for the gaming industry remain quite good, but the chase for profits puts thousands out of work. Hopefully these folks keep on keeping on and find their way to up and coming studios.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The industry got too big it's boots during covid. They thought and hoped the boom period they enjoyed while everyone was forced indoors would stick.

They set unsustainable targets, overhired, over-aquired and overleveraged and this is the result.
Tech industry as a whole just over hired like crazy during the pandemic. So many people decided to go job hopping, and employers snatched up every employee they could just because everyone else was doing it.

Kinda like the same thing that happened with toilet paper.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think PSVR2 flopping is gonna have a ripple effect where they reallocate those resourced to mobile games and PC ports that are more lucrative endeavors
But SonyGAF assured me that, based on the first 2 weeks of sales data (after which Sony was suspiciously silent), PSVR2 would be a huge hit and greatly outsell the original.

Oh well, I bet PSVR3 is when VR will really take off.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It affected them negatively in terms of meeting demand (because of the logistics shutdown and subsequent lag after restarting) and production. Two different things.

Don't get it twisted, they weren't moaning about everything.
Yeah yeah people were dying but damn it we can’t sell more PS5 oh no. Also we know this covid situation will end but let’s get bigger anyways. Brilliant management. Jim Ryan should write a book to educate the industry and business schools everywhere.

Killjoy-NL

"We looked at our studios and our portfolio, evaluating projects in various stages of development, and have decided that some of those projects will not move forward. "

Massacre. Studio closed, games canceled, and layoffs.

Meanwhile Insomniac out there selling DLC for charity.
You want prices to go up more?

OT:

The world-economy is shit.
No idea why some act like all these lay-offs are exclusive to the gaming industry.

Top Bottom