• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Is Hiring For A Manager To Identify "Inorganic Growth Opportunities Through Acquisitions & Investments"

image.png

Source:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
speaking about acquisition, remember few months ago theres a rumor Sony acquired some publisher or huge studio ? wheres that news now?

yurinka

Yes, Sony said they'll continue growing via acquisitions. But in the mid to long term, pretty likely after they sell most of their banks division in 2-3 years from now.

Does inorganic mean someone that’s not second party?
Organic = to grow a company revenue by focusing on what you already have: tweaking your product, hiring people, improving your marketing or manufacturing methods, hiring some people, to make new products with the team you aready have... basically selling more because you improve the product or things you already make

Inorganic = to grow via acquisitions, you buy a company or companies who make other products, so you add their revenue and profit on top what you already have

When applied to gaming, 'organic' would be what Sony did of hiring people to grow all their teams, to make movie/tv adaptations of their IPs with other divisions, to expand their IPs to PC and mobile, to acquire teams who already were basically only working for them.

'Inorganic' would be acquisitions like Double Fine, Bethesda, ABK, Bungie or EVO, companies not too attached to them just to secure their catalog and get their revenue and profits. It could include big publishers like Capcom or Square, small publishers like Devolver or Annapurna, big devs like From Soft or CD Projekt, small devs like Blue Twelve, Sloclap or Emberlab, random support/mobile/porting/VR teams or companies who make anything else as could be accesories, eSports stuff or internal tech for things like cloud or VR. To buy companies of any type and size who aren't super attached to them.

Does inorganic mean someone that’s not second party?
Can they afford Square or Capcom?
Both, and at the same time.
But I wonder if inorganic would rule out Square considering their already close relationship.
Capcom or Square or any 3rd party company would count as inorganic. Same goes with 2nd party studios who not only work with them.

Sony could afford to acquire both Square and Capcom, but to do so these companies should be open to sell, and particularly to sell to Sony. And Sony would need to want to buy.

Sony said they'll continue acquiring but not this fiscal year, that they'll take their time: they spent the acquisitions and investments budget they had for this year in other things and mentioned they'll continue with acquisitions in the mid to long term. And also mentioned that will branch out and sell most of their banks division to use that money for acquisitions (a process that will take 2-3 years).

Last edited:

bitbydeath

speaking about acquisition, remember few months ago theres a rumor Sony acquired some publisher or huge studio ? wheres that news now?
Don’t know, but there was a news piece that said they were planning on selling off their finance sector for a gaming acquisition which combined with their cash would give them around 20B to spend.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"Its okay when my company does it"
It's fine to change course and adapt. I think they turned around PS+ extremely quickly after repeatedly saying this wasn't the way forward. Then you suddenly see big 1st party games like Horizon show up. Nothing wrong with that.

All I will criticize is that they repeatedly seem to be caught off guard in terms of their vision, or lack thereof, and have to pivot to change their stances. And it's happened multiple times.

Three

I swear I've read this headline before. Maybe without the "inorganic" part.

We get one of these every year

The 2022 one was the exact same:
"responsible for identifying inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures,"

They've been building their acquisitions team because there is no way this consolidation is slowing down now.

Last edited:
We get one of these every year

The 2022 one was the exact same:
"responsible for identifying inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures,"

They've been building their acquisitions team because there is no way this consolidation is slowing down now.
New hiring = new post :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Manager, Corporate Strategy & Development-Integration and Acceleration​

Sony Playstation
San Mateo, California, United States
1 day ago

Also, it says right there that it's a new role. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I think the famous quote was actually Hermen.

jim said the same thing

"We're in a really good place with PlayStation Studios and have been for the past few years," said Ryan. "The critical success and the commercial success of the games that they've been making… that has given us permission to invest heavily in content creation."

He added, "We’re growing our studios organically and we’re growing through acquisition. We acquired five studios during the course of 2021, we’re in discussions with Bungie and we have more planned. This is getting us into a virtuous cycle where success begets success."

he mentions it again in this short clip at the 2 min mark

Last edited:

graywolf323

jim said the same thing

"We're in a really good place with PlayStation Studios and have been for the past few years," said Ryan. "The critical success and the commercial success of the games that they've been making… that has given us permission to invest heavily in content creation."

He added, "We’re growing our studios organically and we’re growing through acquisition. We acquired five studios during the course of 2021, we’re in discussions with Bungie and we have more planned. This is getting us into a virtuous cycle where success begets success."
yeah but you’ll note that this was before MS decided to acquire ABK

sometimes businesses have to change how they operate because of competitors having done something that changes the game

Dane

It's fine to change course and adapt. I think they turned around PS+ extremely quickly after repeatedly saying this wasn't the way forward. Then you suddenly see big 1st party games like Horizon show up. Nothing wrong with that.

All I will criticize is that they repeatedly seem to be caught off guard in terms of their vision, or lack thereof, and have to pivot to change their stances. And it's happened multiple times.
And the ones who accuse the others of "bad things" will go along it.

Sony obviously know that they don't have a near monopoly like in 32-128 bit where it was "release it on our platform or bust", and now that Microsoft has decided to use their wealth they gotta catch up.

I wonder what would happen to the quality of squeenix titles if Sony purchased them? Would they improve?

I dream of a ps1/ps2 Squaresoft golden era return.

Screw acquisitions, btw.

when Sony gets in front of the regulators:

"we didn't want to buy publishers is just that MS buying ABK force us to do so"

"MS wants to spend Play Station out of business by spending more"

"MS wants to grow bigger by making Play Station smaller"

"With these acquisitions we are going to bring more options for more gamers around the world"

Top Bottom