• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMink

An earnest question here

While I (who has yet to get his hands on the game) am cautiously optimistic about the Supers system, there are many who are not. When anti-PSASBR complainers aren't complaining about how this game is a "Smash rip-off", their complaints usually pertain to only being able to kill with Supers.

That said, would it really be hard for Superbot to just add a health bar mode? Just to satisfy a significant amount of potential buyers? It just seems like an easy fix to something that has a lot of negative reaction (as well as positive reaction, but the Supers mode doesn't have to be abolished). Throw that option in there, and the many people who aren't sold on the Supers will have their concerns satiated.

A health bar mode is totally possible IMO, but I wouldn't expect it to be there.

SSReborn

Is it odd the amount of coverage IGN is giving this game? (The Crash Bandicoot video was actually pretty funny)

They are generally excited for the game. I also find that they have one of the best Playstation teams of any of the sites out there. All the guys generally love Playstation and it isn't like they have people who aren't fans of the system reviewing the games.

An earnest question here

While I (who has yet to get his hands on the game) am cautiously optimistic about the Supers system, there are many who are not. When anti-PSASBR complainers aren't complaining about how this game is a "Smash rip-off", their complaints usually pertain to only being able to kill with Supers.

That said, would it really be hard for Superbot to just add a health bar mode? Just to satisfy a significant amount of potential buyers? It just seems like an easy fix to something that has a lot of negative reaction (as well as positive reaction, but the Supers mode doesn't have to be abolished). Throw that option in there, and the many people who aren't sold on the Supers will have their concerns satiated.

In the leaked files there was something that said "level 3 kills only" that could easily be used as a health mode equivalent.

Noi

A health bar mode for this game would be as bad and unplayed as Smash Bros' HP mode, IMO. Outside of randomly assigning a "damage" value to each attack, its not going to be as balanced as the normal modes.

An earnest question here

No. The whole foundation of the game is the super system. Thats its defining charaistic. the whole game is based around it. Plus superbot already said no to this multiple times. Those people need to just try it out for themselves. I havent seen any complainers about the super system specifically after they tried it. It really works. Theres is some criticism, but about other things.

HiiiLife

I'd go with Kat over Tate if it came down to it.

Edit: Unrelated but holy tits I'm a member now. First post as a member on PSAS thread. Helllll yeah.

On topic: I want to play as Nate Drake already.

Jawmuncher

I'd go with Kat over Tate if it came down to it.

Edit: Unrelated but holy tits I'm a member now. First post as a member on PSAS thread. Helllll yeah.

On topic: I want to play as Nate Drake already.

Personally I wouldnt mind if Tate is never in the game.
Mainly because I still recall the magazine ads where it shows all her different "forms" and she looked so ugly in every single one of them.

I know thats a poor excuse but as a kid those images have been engraved into my mind.

Jawmuncher

Also i'm a little saddened by the lack of Rynn in this thread.

Drakan:The Ancients gates was an awesome game on PS2 by sony.
That definetly needs more love, while there no way in hell they'll include her.
If they did oh man she would definetly be my main.

Sony needs to make a new drakan game

EDIT:it was only published by sony, so I have no clue if they kept the rights.
Regardless what I said still stands

SSReborn

Just me or does it look more cartoonish?

Which is a good thing imo

Yep they do but I doubt those would be the in-game models of the characters. Would it even be possible for them to improve the in game models that they currently have to what's shown in those small icons?

SeriousApes

Kind of glad they are using the newest desgns for the characters, im sure secondary costumes are all going to be older looks

If so, I hope that means PS1 polygon-style alt costumes for some of the older characters, like Spike.

I still really want to see gameplay of Ratchet and Sackboy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So I gave the controls to the beta to one of my friends that happens to be the biggest smash fan ever. Not in the fanboy sense but in the sense that its almost the only game he happens to play. He's willing to try out the final game, but he too was extremely skeptical of the death by supers thing, saying some of the same stuff here.

Superbot really has an uphill battle selling this new super system, and I'm not sure if putting 4 player FFA at the forefront is doing them any favors, since that is the mode where you are most easily punished by a super that wasn't built up by attacks on you.

Spinluck

It's going up on Monday.

2fYd0.gif

I am hype.

I cannot wait to see the next Official Thread, and the fact that it goes the day before Gamescom will make my week!!

These vids have became an unexpected joy - genuinely funny stuff. I doff my cap to you IGN PS3 team. I hope there's many more of these to come.

And if we're talking dream rosters, or folks we want to see in the game most, then in order...

1. Cloud Strife
2. Kat
3. Robbit
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Spyro The Dragon
6. Wander
7. Sir Daniel Fortesque
8. Spike
9. Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
10. Nariko

Sorry. I like lists.

Ethan Mars at #233

Shahed

These vids have became an unexpected joy - genuinely funny stuff. I doff my cap to you IGN PS3 team. I hope there's many more of these to come.

And if we're talking dream rosters, or folks we want to see in the game most, then in order...

1. Cloud Strife
2. Kat
3. Robbit
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Spyro The Dragon
6. Wander
7. Sir Daniel Fortesque
8. Spike
9. Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
10. Nariko

Sorry. I like lists.

Ethan Mars at #233

Add Kazuma Kiryu to that, and it would be nigh on perfect. I'd say Snake, but Raiden's already there. What kind of game was Robbit? Never played it

Kat

Jawmuncher

We all might as well make our dream lists
(Im going to go with no one who has popped up on a leaked list yet)
*Not in any real order*

1.Regina (Dino Crisis)
2.Cloud 3.Jill (Resident Evil)
4.Rynn (Drakan)
5.Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain, would seriously love this character since he'd stick out)
6.Lara Croft
7.Solid Snake (Metal Gear Acid Version, could work as a bullshit PSP rep)
8.Blasto
9. Mark hammond (The getaway)
10. Dennis Riley (Extermination)

One hell of a dream list for the most part I'd say.
But since this PSA is looking to be more about throwing in characters that can help sell the idea. I'm hoping the inevitable sequel really does actually delve into the history of PS and brings back some forgotten heros.

Radec is so kawaii uguu when he kiddily says ''let us meet in combat'' ^_^ Cause he missed his chance with Templar :< Just went something like 5 game winstreak with him. His lvl 1 and 2 are way better than I though before. I never use his lvl 3.

Dreamscape-all 3 run to the right platform when quiz begins, you have lvl 2 with Radec...

Add Kazuma Kiryu to that, and it would be nigh on perfect. I'd say Snake, but Raiden's already there. What kind of game was Robbit? Never played it

Kat

I've much love for Kazuma, but you need to bring in the A-listers when it comes to third-party representation, and the Yakuza games just don't have that much sway commercially, which is a total pisser 'cos they're great. He'd be a good sell over in Japan though.

Robbit is the star of the Jumping Flash! games that were released early in the PS1's cycle. They're first-person platformers set in fully-3D, free-roaming stages. Controls are crude by today's standards, but the charm is still there in bucketloads. It's a franchise that would translate immensely well to current-gen, given these dual analogue times we live in, but alas, it looks like Sony has abandoned the IP.

Dusky

I've much love for Kazuma, but you need to bring in the A-listers when it comes to third-party representation, and the Yakuza games just don't have that much sway commercially, which is a total pisser 'cos they're great. He'd be a good sell over in Japan though.

Robbit is the star of the Jumping Flash! games that were released early in the PS1's cycle. They're first-person platformers set in fully-3D, free-roaming stages. Controls are crude by today's standards, but the charm is still there in bucketloads. It's a franchise that would translate immensely well to current-gen, given these dual analogue times we live in, but alas, it looks like Sony has abandoned the IP.

But Sony never abandons their IP's :(

Shahed

But he's quite popular in Japan. Yes the rest of the world is the bigger market, buy if you have the likes of Crash, Cloud, Kratos, Drake and the rest, there's not much more needed to properly market the game in the West.

Plus he's awesome :p

Jumping Flash sounds decent. Is it on PSN? If so I might add it to my homework list!

Kat

But he's quite popular in Japan. Yes the rest of the world is the bigger market, buy if you have the likes of Crash, Cloud, Kratos, Drake and the rest, there's not much more needed to properly market the game in the West.

Plus he's awesome :p

Jumping Flash sounds decent. Is it on PSN? If so I might add it to my homework list!

Kat

If Crash and Cloud are in the game and Superbot/Sega want to throw in Kazuma for good measure... then I can die a happy man. But not before the game comes out obviously.

The first one is. The second one I'm not so sure, I don't think so. Which is a shame because it's a little superior in every way. But anyway, my advice is watch some gameplay footage and see if it appeals to you.

Reference to something they said a few weeks ago. I really ought to stop being sarcastic, it never seems to work :/.

I thought you were being sarcastic, but you can never be too sure on NeoGaf.

Shahed

I believe Yoshida's exact words were 'We never retire our IP's'

Thing is though, this game doing well could help the chances of Sony doing a new installment of old IP's. I mean look what Nintendo did after Pit was so popular. Hopefully anyway

Kat

I could see Battle Royale serving as the catalyst for Sir Dan's breakout stardom. They really seem to love him in particular over at GameFAQS; always fawning over his goofy charm. And maybe Battle Royale motivate Sony to give the world what it has long been denied... a new Ape Escape game. A proper one!

Shahed

n8RCz.jpg

Okay I see
Sweet Tooth,Nariko,Parappa, Jin, Ratchet, Radec, Jak,Kratos, Sly, Big Daddy, ???,???,Cole,FP

Kazuya and Ryu Hayabusa.

Clock's since confirmed that the only Tekken characters are Heihachi and Kuma. So take the pic with a grain of salt

Kat

sn00zer

ah gotcha been outta the loop a bit.....what a crazy mishmash of characters....its turning more into a mascot fighting game than a Playstation fighting game...but im not complaining

LuuKyK

ah gotcha been outta the loop a bit.....what a crazy mishmash of characters....its turning more into a mascot fighting game than a Playstation fighting game...but im not complaining

Clock already said we only have one tekken character in the game.

Edit: beaten badly.

I believe Yoshida's exact words were 'We never retire our IP's'

Thing is though, this game doing well could help the chances of Sony doing a new installment of old IP's. I mean look what Nintendo did after Pit was so popular. Hopefully anyway

Kat
Maybe vita version will do well they wont retire that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom