• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

Banjo64

cumsessed
You are an exception Banjo, hope you work it out with Kazooie though
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is me, Kazooie, Gruntilda and Brentilda:

tumblr_m0owq9z0wx1qb39w1o2_250.gif

skit_data

Well, I consider this studio pretty much unproven so it really does nothing for me.

What is obvious is that Sony is on a shopping spree, something they’ve never done before. I guess they can’t let another potential From Software slip between their fingers.

AmuroChan

Their game/project was in the works when they were under Google Umbrella for stadia. It changed when they left and created a new studio, but most of the developers/talent who were under stadia all left to join haven on top of top talent from ubisoft being poached. Who now work at Haven.

Again, those talents aren't all going to leave tomorrow. Let them make their game. If the game turns out great, then acquire them and pay the top talents to stay.

Kokoloko85

How is buying another studio organic? Neither are organic. Doesn't matter if they made games for MS or Sony systems. They didn't make those studios.

Organic means they slowly built a working relationship up before acquiring them.

For example Naughty Dog or Insomniac.
They saw a studio, pay studio to make a ip together ( Crash, Spyro, JaknDaxter, Racthet and Clank etc ). Release the game. Pay the studio more next time to make another Ip together, build that studio up more etc.
After awhile they purchase that studio because they have worked on exclusive games for that platform.

Like how MS did with Undead labs and the State of Decay games.

Whereas if Sony goes and buys Bungie or Jade’s new team, there’s no previous working relationship. Bit different to how they aquired and built up Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac etc

Chronicle

At least the xboxers won't get a taste of this before its gone. Losing Fallout, Skyrim and Call of Duty this year for me on Playstation was a huge blow and tough pill to swallow. Especially Fallout. I salute you.

Buggy Loop

Honestly, why is her name even a factor here? She was director for Assassin’s creed at the peak of Ubisoft Montreal in freaking 2007, 15 years ago!

I feel peoples are pulling her name out just for the « we are so inclusive with women » check box ✅

She hasn’t done shit since then, how much money she leeched from Google?

Papacheeks

Banned
Again, those talents aren't all going to leave tomorrow. Let them make their game. If the game turns out great, then acquire them and pay the top talents to stay.

I don't think you understand how Sony operates. They operate on results. Sony has seen what Haven is making. When they left google they took the project with them, but not everyone left with them. So they needed to get their studio up and going before "continuing" the project they had started at google.

They now probably showed Herman their project, he probably knows a hit when he sees it. So he went back to Sony HQ as seen in his tweets and probably finalized the deal.

I expect to see this game actually soon in some way shape or form.

Papacheeks

Banned
Her studio hasn’t even launched a game, but it’s still a way better acquisition than Microsoft buying another Montreal studio called Compulsion Games. Ms certainly got trash with that one.

I think Sony has seen the game. And since Haven is independent what do you do? If you show off the game this year and it blows people away, then a month or so later they are bought by Amazon or Apple? Your out of a developer for future titles.

I think Sony is pouncing on GAAS/Multiplayer talent because they know whats coming.

cHaOs667

Lol, let MS first make sure they can manage their own studios.
Come on, that's a pretty weak argument. Both have a track record of, sometimes, doing irrational decisions. Like Microsoft closing down Ensemble Studios and FASA, as well Sony shutting down Studio Liverpool (that one actually broke my old Amiga heart), Incognito Entertainment, Evolution or Zipper Interactive.

Studios like Lionhead are on a different page - I was actually surprised it lasted that long with an unreliable studio head like Peter Molyneux.

Zeroing

Banned
Returnal is an example of what Sony assistance would do to your game.
That is actually true, also not the first time Sony saw talent in a studio and let them go bigger by giving support...the devs of journey for example.
If the game turns out to be a massive hit, more interest on the studio would come thus making the acquisition more expensive. Also location does make a good reason to adquire a studio, Sony does not have any studios in Canada, more easy to capture talent.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Come on, that's a pretty weak argument. Both have a track record of, sometimes, doing irrational decisions. Like Microsoft closing down Ensemble Studios and FASA, as well Sony shutting down Studio Liverpool (that one actually broke my old Amiga heart), Incognito Entertainment, Evolution or Zipper Interactive.

Studios like Lionhead are on a different page - I was actually surprised it lasted that long with an unreliable studio head like Peter Molyneux.

I was surprised they allowed Peter Molynux to be as crazy as he was and burn through tons of cash making dumb projects. They should have got rid of him a long time ago and promoted someone else lead of Lion head and also not have forced them to make Fable Kinnect game or a MOBA.

Rivet

I don't think you understand how Sony operates. They operate on results. Sony has seen what Haven is making. When they left google they took the project with them, but not everyone left with them. So they needed to get their studio up and going before "continuing" the project they had started at google.

They now probably showed Herman their project, he probably knows a hit when he sees it. So he went back to Sony HQ as seen in his tweets and probably finalized the deal.

Yeah, if they buy them, it means they're sure their game will either sell well OR it'll bring something new and different that could ultimately make people buy their console and enter the PS ecosystem (think Media Molecule).

No way they would buy the studio otherwise. They're very smart with their acquisitions.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

You're making my point for me. Sony has always made acquisitions based on results. That's why historically they've acquired studios that have shipped multiple games and have a proven track record. Bluepoint, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, GG, Housemarque, etc have all shipped multiple games before being acquired by Sony. When you haven't shipped a single game yet, that's not results. Sony is a business. Results mean profits. Result isn't "Oh I saw this game in alpha and it looks great!". You can spin it however you like, but this is not the type of acquisition that Sony has historically made.

SSfox

So basically Sony will buy the entire industry except the talented japanese studios and publishers. Snoozfest at its peak.

Rivet

Same Herman who struck exclusive deals with Godfall and Babylon’s fall?

So much salt in this thread again... Same Herman who bought Bluepoint or Housemarque, 2 major and smart acquisitions. They never bought Godfall studio in case you didn't notice. Financing a project is different, it's more hit or miss, especially for launch games.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
She was director for Assassin’s creed at the peak of Ubisoft Montreal in freaking 2007, 15 years ago!
Not even that, the creative director was Patrice Désilets, and the game design director was Maxime Béland; Jade was the producer, she's never had a creative role in these big games, instead she was management.

NonPhixion

Same Herman who struck exclusive deals with Godfall and Babylon’s fall?

Drunk Gilligans Island GIF by Wisconsin Sportscenter
He’s not the head of 3rd party relations. Almost gotttemmmmm.

Not sure who is actually in that position after Adam Boyes left a few years back. Hah those two deals were likely struck by Adam Boyes tho

Last edited:

AmuroChan

That is actually true, also not the first time Sony saw talent in a studio and let them go bigger by giving support...the devs of journey for example.

If the game turns out to be a massive hit, more interest on the studio would come thus making the acquisition more expensive. Also location does make a good reason to adquire a studio, Sony does not have any studios in Canada, more easy to capture talent.

We don't know what kind of contract Haven signed with Sony last year. Sony could have a clause in the contract that they have first right to refusal for an acquisition. Again, this is just very different in how Sony traditionally operated. They usually acquire a studio AFTER they've shipped multiple games for them. Look at Insominiac, Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc.

Rivet

Really? I wouldn't call neither of those teams major acquisitions, even loving their games

I think so. Bluepoint made the most beautiful Souls game ever by a wide margin, they're extremely talented. And Housemarque games are unique, nobody does anything remotely like that, with this arcade spirit.

It all depends on what you like obviously... But for me it certainly cemented my future PS purchases for sure.

Papacheeks

Banned
You're making my point for me. Sony has always made acquisitions based on results. That's why historically they've acquired studios that have shipped multiple games and have a proven track record. Bluepoint, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, GG, Housemarque, etc have all shipped multiple games before being acquired by Sony. When you haven't shipped a single game yet, that's not results. Sony is a business. Results mean profits. Result isn't "Oh I saw this game in alpha and it looks great!". You can spin it however you like, but this is not the type of acquisition that Sony has historically made.

Most talent at the studio including Jade are all alumnus. All senior talent. Also when this game comes out will raise price of what Developer would be worth. I mean this is similar to Respawn. Respawn had money invested from Microsoft and EA for Titanfall, it was exclusive for Microsoft. When it came out it was a hit, it moved XBox's. But Microsoft didn't move fast enough and EA bought them in 2017 for 400 Million. If Microsoft had not waited they could have got them for probably a lot cheaper and would have had games like APex/ TF2, Fallen Order under their belts.

Now do you see? Sony is not MS they dont have a giant bank account they can just grab money and throw it at a developer and not worry about financials. They have to be smarted since they are a smaller company financially compared to Microsoft.

Buying now for like maybe 200 Million is better than spending 500-3.2 Billion a year from now when the market cap value of Haven has risen astronomically.

Papacheeks

Banned
We don't know what kind of contract Haven signed with Sony last year. Sony could have a clause in the contract that they have first right to refusal for an acquisition. Again, this is just very different in how Sony traditionally operated. They usually acquire a studio AFTER they've shipped multiple games for them. Look at Insominiac, Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc.

The market cap though even with multiple titles developed, is still smaller than something like Bungie. Insomniac was bought literally in 2019 less than a year after Spiderman 2018 for 220 Million. If they had waited easily would have been double if not more market cap wise.

Sony is not Microsoft. SO buying Low is always in their interest. When it comes to Bungie they had no choice but to buy high because of overall market value.

i think Sony knows they got a banger on their hands. And Haven is going to be a house hold name like Respawn.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Most talent at the studio including Jade are all alumnus. All senior talent. Also when this game comes out will raise price of what Developer would be worth. I mean this is similar to Respawn. Respawn had money invested from Microsoft and EA for Titanfall, it was exclusive for Microsoft. When it came out it was a hit, it moved XBox's. But Microsoft didn't move fast enough and EA bought them in 2017 for 400 Million. If Microsoft had not waited they could have got them for probably a lot cheaper and would have had games like APex/ TF2, Fallen Order under their belts.

Now do you see? Sony is not MS they dont have a giant bank account they can just grab money and throw it at a developer and not worry about financials. They have to be smarted since they are a smaller company financially compared to Microsoft.

Buying now for like maybe 200 Million is better than spending 500-3.2 Billion a year from now when the market cap value of Haven has risen astronomically.

No, I don't see, and I work in M&A. I don't see a world in which Haven would be worth $3 billion when 1) they haven't shipped a game, and 2) they don't even own the IP that they're working on right now. Sony owns that. IPs are what make a company valuable. It's why Insomniac only sold for $229m. If they owned the Spider Man IP, that price tag would be in the billions.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is so strange. The studio was created barely a year ago, what exactly are they purchasing?

On the other hand, her reputation in the industry appears to be pretty stellar and I can only assume the purchase of an infant studio suggests the project they're working on will be great.

boomcrab

Really... Desperation? Come on now.

Whatever Haven have shown to Sony must have been amazing for Sony to acquire them before their first game.
I certainly hope you're right. It just doesn't line up historically with how Sony usually makes acquisitions. Even if the game is great that doesn't necessarily mean it will sell well. How many games did insomniac have to make before they were purchased? Housemarque? This studio still has a lot to prove and even one really great game doesnt mean that's going to be their output consistently. You are probably right though whatever it is HAS to be good

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
No, I don't see, and I work in M&A. I don't see a world in which Haven would be worth $3 billion when 1) they haven't shipped a game, and 2) they don't even own the IP that they're working on right now. Sony owns that. IPs are what make a company valuable. It's why Insomniac only sold for $229m. If they owned the Spider Man IP, that price tag would be in the billions.

I'm just throwing a number out. But respawn was worth about half a billion and had not been around long. And they only put out 2 titles. one of which was a sequel that bombed hard. But they were worth 400 Million.

If haven's game is a big success, their market cap will be that much higher and more people will want to buy them. How do you not understand that? If you are more valued by the industry your market cap will be that much higher? So its best to buy them now, before they announce their game that garners a ton of attention.

Microsoft and Sony are also fighting Tenecent, Amzon, Apple, Netease.

You work in M&H but have no idea on how software companies are valued and how their value increases. Shipped titles is not the only gauage. Insomniac was bought for 220 Million? After making how many games? They should have been in the billions by your metric..

But their most successful game was Spiderman, and it was still early sales wise. Sony knew if they waited the price was just going to go up and others looking aka Microsoft at the time would have bought them or offered a purchase making it harder for Sony to buy them.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Organic means they slowly built a working relationship up before acquiring them.

For example Naughty Dog or Insomniac.
They saw a studio, pay studio to make a ip together ( Crash, Spyro, JaknDaxter, Racthet and Clank etc ). Release the game. Pay the studio more next time to make another Ip together, build that studio up more etc.
After awhile they purchase that studio because they have worked on exclusive games for that platform.

Like how MS did with Undead labs and the State of Decay games.

Whereas if Sony goes and buys Bungie or Jade’s new team, there’s no previous working relationship. Bit different to how they aquired and built up Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac etc
That also applies with MS purchases.
Without MS, COD wouldn't be big at all. Without OG xbox, bethesda wouldn't have made a console game, same for cdpr. And other western companies too.

Zeroing

Banned
Yes but let's not forget one small and important detail. The acquisitions started happening after Herman took the place of Shu, before that, Sony spent an entire generation without buying studios.. Missing on very good opportunities.
Also MM was adquired before Little big planet came out (if I am not mistaken) ... so not the first time Sony does this.

Perrott

Gold Member
We began working with Jade and her team in early 2021 when they were on the brink of announcing the formation of Haven Studios. From their first pitch, we were inspired by Haven’s vision for creating a modern multiplayer experience that brings gamers together in positive and meaningful ways.

Farming, fishing and murdering people confirmed.
Her goals for live service/multiplayer back when she was still at EA were centered around a sort of online experience closer to Death Stranding's sense of worldwide collaboration, discovery and usage of non-violent mechanics rather than an average Destiny clone.

AmuroChan

I'm just throwing a number out. But respawn was worth about half a billion and had not been around long. And they only put out 2 titles. one of which was a sequel that bombed hard. But they were worth 400 Million.

If haven's game is a big success, their market cap will be that much higher and more people will want to buy them. How do you not understand that? If you are more valued by the industry your market cap will be that much higher? So its best to buy them now, before they announce their game that garners a ton of attention.

Microsoft and Sony are also fighting Tenecent, Amzon, Apple, Netease.

You work in M&H but have no idea on how software companies are valued and how their value increases. Shipped titles is not the only gauage. Insomniac was bought for 220 Million? After making how many games? They should have been in the billions by your metric..

But their most successful game was Spiderman, and it was still early sales wise. Sony knew if they waited the price was just going to go up and others looking aka Microsoft at the time would have bought them or offered a purchase making it harder for Sony to buy them.

Just stop. That's not how market cap is calculated first of all. Also, it's M&A, not M&H. You are rationalizing based on your own takes that are contradictory to how Sony have acquired studios in the past.

Also, you're continuing to make my point for me. Insomniac is a proven studio that have shipped multiple great games. Why did they only sell for $229m? Because they don't own any IPs. So what's the conclusion to draw from that? Haven's market value is not going to be in the billions even if they ship a game that's 99 on MC. Why? Because they don't own the IP. So if Sony was able to acquire a top studio like Insomniac for such a low price even after they've shipped multiple critical and commercial hits, why do you think Haven is suddenly going to be worth billions of dollars as a company after shipping just one game? Your own arguments literally contradict the point you're trying to make.

Top Bottom