• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5: Nov 12 / Nov 19 - $399/$499

LordOfChaos

Sweet they followed Microsoft in not doing the direct conversion, they're both eating about 20 dollars. 499 for the DE in CAD, rather than 522 which would be the direct conversion.

bargeparty

Think you're missing the point but that's ok. It's $10 per game, how many games you buy each year?

No I fully understand that. And what I buy varies on what exists. If you can't afford $10 extra maybe you should choose a different hobby or adjust your purchasing accordingly.

So again. Where are the sales/discounts for physical disc at launch?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
JHq5b4R.png

pp1Z9ca.png
Is that a USB c at the top?

Biff

But there is one on the front. If its only 1x than this aint it. Or am I making stuff up again?
Whoops - you are right. Wasn't looking closely and thought that was the front of the machine.

I bet its a Kensington lock port - you know those vestigial security loops laptops have. Used mainly for theft prevention for store display models.

Arkam

Whoops - you are right. Wasn't looking closely and thought that was the front of the machine.

I bet its a Kensington lock port - you know those vestigial security loops laptops have. Used mainly for theft prevention for store display models.
Thats what i was thinking too. Esp since its so far from the rest of the back ports. Cannot wait for teardown!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

That makes sense. Odd for one at home though imo.

lock2k

Banned
Brazil prices confirmed digital R$ 4499 and disc R$4999. Not that bad. Could be way worse. But the game prices will be R$ 349. lmao

Goujen87

Neo Member
No way would I pay $300 for Series S when I can get a full powerhouse PS5 for $100 more.
But then again, wouldn’t mind the Disk version for the Blu-ray, well played Sony!

cryptoadam

Banned
Wonder what the shipping will look like.

2 to 1 for physical? Shortages on digital, meh an extra 100$ I really want that PS5. Would be smart.

Rippa

Lol at all the asshats that said the PS5 would end up being the more expensive console.

That D.E. Is going to sell gangbusters!

nordique

Ouch, $630 CAD pre-taxes for the disc version. They just wouldn’t match MS’ $600 price huh?

I know. It’s a bummer.
depending where one lives, it’s either as low as 661$ with tax (AB) or over 711$ (ON)
series x would be 628$ w tax or over 676 respectively

not a huge diff, 30$, but the mental marketing barrier of “599 Vs 600” threshold has been crossed

Plus games are 90$ CAD and a second controller is also 90$. Basically 100$ w tax. You buy one game and a controller or two games, you’re dropping a grand.

i personally Don’t know anyone interested in the digital ps4 or xb series s outside of people on Gaf/online, my Friends are the more casual crowd, and for them it’s a disc based system
so In My circle at least It’s either the series x or ps5, or both

I was super excited for launch and expected these prices, but now I’m not sure
I don’t see any games that are must buy for me, for either system, and the only game I’d have any interest in playing this fall outside of cyberpunk is Spider-Man, which I can play on my ps4 pro. My only “must play” next gen game is god of war 2

knowing me I’ll get the inevitable ps5 slim in black anyways lol. I’m sure some of us on here are in similar boats...these consoles on one hand offer fantastic value given their whole package, but on the other hand they are still expensive and for some of us there are no compelling releases that we cant find on current “pro” systems (Unless of course one of the launch games is a compelling release For you Like demons souls; looks great but not my type of game)

Last edited:
Reactions: KO7

LordOfChaos

I know. It’s a bummer.
depending where one lives, it’s either as low as 661$ with tax (AB) or over 711$ (ON)
series x would be 628$ w tax or over 676 respectively

not a huge diff, 30$, but the mental marketing barrier of “599 Vs 600” threshold has been crossed

The crazy part really is Microsoft eating 60 dollars of the conversion for us, that's way more than expected and they're probably taking a decent loss on the X especially in Canada/FX.

Would have been nice if Sony did the same, yeah, but eating 60 dollars is massive on what's already probably an at cost or loss leading product. Both of them are eating 20-30 dollars on the PS5, PS5 Digital, and Series S.

nordique

The crazy part really is Microsoft eating 60 dollars of the conversion for us, that's way more than expected and they're probably taking a decent loss on the X especially in Canada/FX.

Would have been nice if Sony did the same, yeah, but eating 60 dollars is massive on what's already probably an at cost or loss leading product. Both of them are eating 20-30 dollars on the PS5, PS5 Digital, and Series S.

This is the first time since probably 2013 that we’ve had fortune with the exchange rate. I remember 2013 when we had a dollar in the 91 cent range yet everything was same prices as states...oh yes I remember the Best Buy trade in deal for gift cards several weeks before, and then the launch ps4 being 399 like the states... those were good days. I lived In Alberta at the time too so I benefited from no pst to boot

Still though, exchange rate or not; the neighbourhood of a grand is a lot of money. And I would be buying the system with a few games at the very least

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
499$ is an amazing price. I am honestly surpriced and had expected 599 or more.
Not complaining since I plan to buy two.

I am not preordering. I never preorder, so I will probably have to just wait a few weeks until the initial rush is over and they are readily available at the nearby store. A few weeks to wait will not be the end of the world.

EDIT: 499 wow. "Officer, I would like to report a murder"

Last edited:
Top Bottom