• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 4 | Review Thread

Woopah

Up to 88 on Metacritc now.

It's a skillful evolution of a series which has been left feeling a little overlooked for too long. Is this Pikmin's true breakthrough moment? Who knows. But without a doubt it's one of Nintendo's best games in years.

Eurogamer's first ever 5/5 didn't go to Zelda. It went to Pikmin.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I own part 3 on Wii U and never played it.

Debating between hooking up the Wii U sometime, or buying the 1+2 Switch bundle. 4 will have to wait a while, but I'm glad it's reviewing well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I own part 3 on Wii U and never played it.

Debating between hooking up the Wii U sometime, or buying the 1+2 Switch bundle. 4 will have to wait a while, but I'm glad it's reviewing well.
1+2 Switch bundle then 3 on Wii-U or if you're lazy just buy Deluxe then play 4.

The first game is still the best of the three.

Can you please describe it? I can’t seem to find a good explanation for what this is anywhere lol
You collect the little colorful Pikmin creatures and make them follow you like ants. You throw them at objects to pick them up like ants and carry them around back to your ship. You can throw them at enemies to attack and carry the carcasses back to your ship as well. It's pretty enjoyable.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still haven’t finished Pikmin 3, but I’m going to buy this on day 1. It’s the least I can do for Pikmin fans.

SpiceRacz

I don't put much weight in review scores, but that's way better than I was expecting. Especially for a game that Nintendo's had on the back burner for a long time.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Just bought it, excited to play. Demo was fun, and since there's a save file I can move past all the annoying gibrish.

Marvel14

Banned
Folk describing the game are forgetting that time management and batttle/collection strategy are core to the experience. In what order and with what complement of Pikmin should you tackle enemies or collect resources? How much should you focus on spawning and deploying new Pikmin vs battling/collecting with your existingcomplement? ...it's RTS meets puzzle game meets resource management game.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Miyamoto Garden Simulator.
Miyamotos turned into a full times Pikmin Dealer

5cV.gif

Krathoon

They never explain were the humans have gone in Pikmin.
Maybe it takes place after the rapture.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
so, if I buy this and play it and adore it...im going to struggle to go back to pikmin 3?

I played and completed 1&2 but never played 3...Feel like I want to jump in here.

Tams

It's gotten more than a chance lol, the series has gotten a release every console since it was created. Wish other franchises got that Miyamoto bias lol.

To be fair, Pikmin is fairly popular.

Of all the games Niantic has tried, only Ingress, Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom have done well enough to be kept going.

Woopah

To be fair, Pikmin is fairly popular.

Of all the games Niantic has tried, only Ingress, Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom have done well enough to be kept going.
Compared to other Nintendo franchises Pikmin is not popular. But this could be its breakout moment

Tams

Compared to other Nintendo franchises Pikmin is not popular. But this could be its breakout moment.

My point is it is popular enough.

And in the game format. Whereas Harry Potter, that is far, far more popular in general, had it's Niantic game shut down.

Plenty of people want to play Pikmin.

Nintendo has medieval approach to diversity.
Really? When I booted up P4 I could choose my character to look like almost any color of the rainbow, with any girl boy look and any hairdo for the trans people etc.

But no, it’s never enough for some people is it now? I’d say this game is perfectly diverse and the player can choose whatever they like. Also, in splatoon and other games, same thing. The hell with medieval approach. If anything it shouldn’t go any further than what they do now.

I think they stroke a good balance and I hope they don’t tilt it because of some nagging childlike woke people.

Disco Dave

Really? When I booted up P4 I could choose my character to look like almost any color of the rainbow, with any girl boy look and any hairdo for the trans people etc.

But no, it’s never enough for some people is it now? I’d say this game is perfectly diverse and the player can choose whatever they like. Also, in splatoon and other games, same thing. The hell with medieval approach. If anything it shouldn’t go any further than what they do now.

I think they stroke a good balance and I hope they don’t tilt it because of some nagging childlike woke people.
PQS6wOs.gif

Krathoon

I went ahead and got Pikmin 3 Deluxe too. I had it on the Wii U, but never finished it.

I was going to try to get it used, but people would not sell it for a low enough price.

That is the annoying thing about Nintendo games.

I found it for $54 on Amazon. Still, not much of a discount.

Deerock71

I'm kind of off the Nintendo train for a bit. I'm still playing the fuck out of the Switch, just other games like Jack/Jean, Ghost Trick, and Octopath Traveler II. Hell, I didn't even get the last Splatoon.

Krathoon

I may play some of the demo tonight. See if I can finish it before getting the full game.
I need to get my docking station setup.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Ouch. Really didn’t get it, eh?

Anyway, Nintendo is having a historic year. I can’t remember many years like this one for a system like the one they are havin.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
It’s getting annoying that Nintendo can’t do multiple difficulties. Why not have more challenge for those who will enjoy it.

Yoshi games especially guilty of this

Last edited:
Top Bottom