• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical Artbook PS4 Version of TSUKIHIME will be censored, Switch version will be uncensored

GHound

After looking through the Japanese version of the game's artbook, and assuming the US release is essentially a copy, the one likely change is almost certainly due to merely the perceived nudity (the potentially offending text on age is five pages prior and not specific to the actual image in question); and I honestly can't figure-out what else would need altering, leading me to believe the two pages with several clothed images of the loli character are going to see some asinine tweak. If I'm proven wrong, that's fine, but I'm expecting these changes to just further highlight the ridiculousness of Sony's newfound prudishness.

Given the price of the physical edition, it's good people at least have a legit alternative.

Tell me about it. At this point the western release of Fate/Samurai Remnant having an untranslated artbook is less shit than even the thought of paying a $30 premium to own a physical reminder that SIE is a petty bitch.

Senhua

First, SIE should stop regarding the US as the center of the world now; it far from it, especially today.
Then, they should stop assuming that translating games into English means localizing them for the US.
There are still many countries that use English but adhere to cultures different from that of the US.

When they insist on changing this in the name of US culture for all regions, they should also change ALL similar content in the name of other countries' cultures
GL7k5CfagAACQjV.jpeg

Because if not, it means you're promoting US ethnocentrism. Imposing one culture on a country in the name of international public.

In general, I've decided to disengage with games that are primarily in English or made specifically for US consumers (like DD2 or Final Fantasy) for the reasons mentioned above.
I only play single-player non SIE games made in China now. They're much more creative, free from US cultural imposition, and cost-effective.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. At this point the western release of Fate/Samurai Remnant having an untranslated artbook is less shit than even the thought of paying a $30 premium to own a physical reminder that SIE is a petty bitch.
Ah, didn't really follow the release of that game. Looks like Koei Tecmo simply repurposed items directly from the JP limited edition and added the translated, short-story booklet. That said, I'd gladly take the untranslated artbook over SIE's nonsense.

The physical release of Tsukihime, especially at eighty bones, is targeted towards a real specific audience, making me wonder if those PS4 copies will eventually become shelf warmers--might be worth keeping an eye on Amazon a few months down the road for some cheap stock (of course, this is assuming the games does--as stated in the tweet--remain unaltered).

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So why doesn't Nintendo do the same? Because they're a Japanese corporation based out of Japan that doesn't care about social media influencers and their sociopolitical agenda. Kudos to them for that.
Really? Nintendo of America has been a thing for decades, and it’s the reason western versions of Nintendo games got gore, sexuality and religion removed for generations. They also caved for the most egregious internet shitstorms, like people foaming at the mouth about Mr. Game & Watch with a Native American headdress. American localizations of Nintendo games are subject to heavy scrutiny and “purification” even these days.

This here is probably just one of those cases where the product is aimed at such a small audience in the west, Nintendo can expect very little pushback and exactly zero money losses even if the usual storm in a teacup ensues. This, and / or there’s no people tasked to care about these minutiae at NoA. Which could be pretty telling about the role some people have at Sony in California, and what kind of people those may be, more than anything else.

Senhua

Really? Nintendo of America has been a thing for decades, and it’s the reason western versions of Nintendo games got gore, sexuality and religion removed for generations. They also caved for the most egregious internet shitstorms, like people foaming at the mouth about Mr. Game & Watch with a Native American headdress. American localizations of Nintendo games are subject to heavy scrutiny and “purification” even these days.

This here is probably just one of those cases where the product is aimed at such a small audience in the west, Nintendo can expect very little pushback and exactly zero money losses even if the usual storm in a teacup ensues. This, and / or there’s no people tasked to care about these minutiae at NoA. Which could be pretty telling about the role some people have at Sony in California, and what kind of people those may be, more than anything else.
Nintendo typically only censors first-party games nowadays, and even then, they usually consult with NoA translators during the development process to ensure a single build can be released worldwide.
Of course, there are exceptions, like with FE Engage, where it's evident that there are different builds between the Japanese and English versions and Beat Refle, a third-party game that was directly banned.

Last edited:
It's just really awesome that corporations like Sony engage in hardcore moralizing, censorship and thought control and we're just not supposed to ever care about this or complain or else we're incels.

Only total losers care about stupid, lame concepts like freedom of speech.
Just stop buying from them. About all you can do.

Nintendo of America takes all of its marching orders from Japan. It's a separate entity only in the way Japanese car manufacturers have "American" companies like Toyota of America, Honda of America, etc. It's about complying with laws to be able to do business in America.

Could Nintendo have opted not to do the censoring? Yup. And they did, too, which I acknowledged and praised them for earlier. There's a very different culture between the two corporations. Primarily, Sony is far more westernized than Nintendo is, so much so that it moved its corporate headquarters from Japan to California. Sony isn't just in the gaming business. It's in the media business, including music, television, and film. It's very much got its finger on the pulse of what's happening now--for better or for worse--and responds to trends. Including awful ones like appeasement of an extremely vocal minority for fear of having their offices picketed and tons of news stories about how they're catering to pedos because of artwork in an anime game.

In short, Nintendo doesn't fear such reprisals. They are far more insulated. Partly because they're not headquartered in the west, partly by their own culture and warchest. It costs much less for Nintendo to operate as an entity than it does Sony. Because they're much smaller. Nintendo could release multiple generations of absolutely failed consoles performing worse than the WiiU and they still would survive. Sony will be dead if the PS6 is a flop.

In short, Nintendo is less affected by negative press and can survive a firestorm of it. They've done some very shady and anti-consumer things over the years--just as PlayStation and Xbox have. Sales of the Switch seem to indicate no one cares.

Top Bottom