• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to buy Nintendo: i honestly believe a good move for both companies

Batiman

Banned
lol so MS has one game that was a passion project that the studio started making before being acquired by MS.

No matter how you look at it MS has a terrible track record of managing their own shit and relies on complete dumb luck like this. When they set out to make their own game you get Halo Infinite
I loved halo infinite.

Pimpbaa

Meh, more games for game pass. Come at me bros! Seriously tho, even though I love game pass I am really looking forward to the Switch 2 (even tho I will use it docked 99% of the time). Not happening unless the Switch 2 flops hard (which is doubtful).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not just locker room talk. They're explicitly saying that they hope ValueAct/Mason Morfit will pressure Nintendo to use up their capital through market expansion, which will create an opportunity for Microsoft to acquire Nintendo when the latter has less cash on hand. It's much more nefarious than just wanting to acquire Nintendo. They want to forcibly create a situation where Nintendo fails through unsustainable growth and buy them up.

This is missed in a lot of the reports where they just focus on Phil hoping to acquire Nintendo. I think Microsoft having an actual plan to force Nintendo to fail is quite alarming and anti-competitive. It's leaning towards corporate sabotaging.
If true, fuck Microsoft. Hope someone goes to jail over this.

How the fuck did ftc miss this??

Fishels

A part of what makes Nintendo so charming is you have to play their games on their hardware which provides a unique experience. Can you imagine booting up the new Mario on a regular ass Xbox? Ewww

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The 2 things Sony and Nintendo have in common is that they're not in the top 5 richest companies in the world. Nintendo lives and dies by gaming and for Sony it makes up a major part of their revenue. That's why they try so hard. That's why they're consistently making the most popular and critically acclaimed games. If they don't, they die. PS3 and Wii U were catatstrophic events for them. For MS, Xbone was a blip on their radar. That's why Sony and Nintendo rebounded and MS is content being last place

I'd be 100% confident that if Sony and Nintendo had similar safety nets they'd be just as terrible. Money simply corrupts.
I don’t think it’s just a matter of them trying hard, they’re simply damn good at what they do. I also don’t believe they’d be just as bad as Microsoft with more money because Microsoft, according to word on the street, has always been like this and wasn’t always a mega trillion dollar company either.

Culture goes a long way. Just because one is particularly sour doesn’t mean they’d all be.

Hudo

lol so MS has one game that was a passion project that the studio started making before being acquired by MS.

No matter how you look at it MS has a terrible track record of managing their own shit and relies on complete dumb luck like this. When they set out to make their own game you get Halo Infinite
They have a pretty good track record when it comes to handling the Age of Empires franchise. Every other publisher would've let that IP to rot (like EA are doing with Command & Conquer).

SaintALia

The FTC wouldn't care and it's not anything they can actually act on and it's not jail worthy either.

Corporations do a whole bunch of shady shit to force an acquisition or buyout. Its not necessarily as xiskza says either. It's likely not a matter of, "Nintendo fails through unsustainable growth and buy them up", but could be a, "Nintendo expands too much and may require more capital for expansion and thus seeks out partners"-at which point MS would step in. Not quite as nefarious, but typical corporation stuff, though I suppose people may just see it as the same thing.

Can't agree with Spencer's assessment about hardware though. I feel Nintendo is at it's best when it's doing hardware and software. Yeah, sure they do fail a lot when it comes to that and a lot of 'gamers' dismiss them as gimmicks. But a lot of that stuff is now standard in gaming and copied, iterated and improved upon.

IMO they're the only ones I look forward to when it comes to a hardware launch, as the only other thing when it comes to hardware with the other two, 'how powerful is it this time, and what's the PC spec equivalent' and, 'sigh, are they gonna kill digital fully this time or what'.

But I am much less of a console gamer these days anyway.

Drell

Let's expose the hypocrisy here:

On the topic about Xbox getting out of the industry, fanboys are claiming it would be dangerous to only have Sony and Nintendo on the console market.

But then when it's about Microsoft buying Nintendo, it's just about getting Nintendo games in 4k 120fps and absolutely not about any danger of MS removing one of their main competitor.

You guys really are a bunch of clown.

Let's expose the hypocrisy here:

On the topic about Xbox getting out of the industry, fanboys are claiming it would be dangerous to only have Sony and Nintendo on the console market.

But then when it's about Microsoft buying Nintendo, it's just about getting Nintendo games in 4k 120fps and absolutely not about any danger of MS removing one of their main competitor.

Maybe it is because Nintendo is not in the same market space as Microsoft and thus not a competitor to them?

Thank god for marvelous you exposing all that hypocrisy. :messenger_beaming:

Drell

Maybe it is because Nintendo is not in the same market space as Microsoft and thus not a competitor to them?

Thank god for marvelous you exposing all that hypocrisy. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah I heard that "not the same market" bullshit over and over, the truth is that most people aren't rich enough to buy every consoles. Also kids with reasonable parents won't get more than one console so in the end it's the same market.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I also don’t believe they’d be just as bad as Microsoft with more money because Microsoft, according to word on the street, has always been like this and wasn’t always a mega trillion dollar company either.
the anti competition, monopolistic culture that MS founded coincidentally started AFTER the gigantic success of Windows 95 and Windows 98. When they started making mega bucks and accelerating up the rungs to become one of the richest companies in the world.

It's all money. it corrupts people.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't know if I wanna see what happens if Nintendo fanboys suddenly jump into the Xbox acquisitions discourse, it will be some Alien vs Predator deathmatch shit

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's amazing how deep some will dig to try and make MS appear not that bad. In 2 console gens we got Psyconauts 2, which was already under development, and Hi-Fi Rush, which was already under development, and Age of Empires. Anything else we can add to this list to make it exhaustive guys?

The list of IP they acquired and then left out to dry or bungled is worth its own novella. We can start with Halo. It's astonishing that anyone wants this company to own Nintendo. If you really like Nintendo games you should be scared to death of them becoming Xbox games, the mark of death failure and mediocity for two solid generations. Instead of correcting their own managerial failures, Xbox just wants to buy the competition to add to their collection of studios which they are free to manage poorly. Maybe you would like to see them direct Rare to make, like, one Nintendo style IP first. They aren't in this to make great games.

Edit: I think it's obvious that most people who want this to happen, probably don't even have a current Nintendo system and have nothing but something to gain from it. Even if it's nothing but Nintendo's back catalog on Xbox and a single half-Mario game before the wheels fly off and it becomes a husk of its past self, that's more than they have now. Actual Nintendo fans have a lot to lose, a steady stream of quality games which come from a completely different dev philosophy than what happens at MS.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's amazing how deep some will dig to try and make MS appear not that bad. In 2 console gens we got Psyconauts 2, which was already under development, and Hi-Fi Rush, which was already under development, and Age of Empires. Anything else we can add to this list to make it exhaustive guys?

The list of IP they acquired and then left out to dry or bungled is worth its own novella. We can start with Halo. It's astonishing that anyone wants this company to own Nintendo. If you really like Nintendo games you should be scared to death of them becoming Xbox games, the mark of death failure and mediocity for two solid generations. Instead of correcting their own managerial failures, Xbox just wants to buy the competition to add to their collection of studios which they are free to manage poorly. Maybe you would like to see them direct Rare to make, like, one Nintendo style IP first. They aren't in this to make great games.
but guys, 4k 120hz Mario!!! Whats a yuzu, i never hearda that!!!

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

They probably didn't.

The FTC doesn't have the power to stop a merger, they have to prove, in a court of law, that a merger would violate an anti-trust act. They don't have enough evidence.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well, 90% of the conversation on GAF is console/platform war bullshit in various forms. It's just with the artificial drama of these "leaked" emails, it manifested itself again in a more dramatic way. People being tribalist retards is nothing new.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
the anti competition, monopolistic culture that MS founded coincidentally started AFTER the gigantic success of Windows 95 and Windows 98. When they started making mega bucks and accelerating up the rungs to become one of the richest companies in the world.

It's all money. it corrupts people.
Sure, but not to this degree. Not all corps. have gone this far. Culture is embedded (go read up on all the things Microsoft was involved in/did BEFORE Windows 95 was even a swimming sperm, for example). Yes, they all can (and do) pull shit, but to this degree seems more tailored to specific companies with key agendas beyond making bread. For Microsoft, it's about "honor" (this couldn't have been more apparent than during the early days of the 360 when Peter Moore was at the helm). It's not simply about making more money than Sony (which they never have in gaming). Rather, being able to throw their hands up as the champions (it was originally about keeping Sony from ruining their PC stronghold — which was ill-guided). They still have this need to be up their asses and that obsession has cost them considerable market/mind-share. That's a cultural issue.

Spencer claims "things have changed". We'll see.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

You must not be a "gamer" if all you do is complain about graphics (well actually shilling for your big corporation in reality) and can't appreciate a game how it is.

And you're shilling for Nintendo, failing to see how they can improve their games with better hardware. I bet if Nintendo was the leader and pushing for better graphics, you would be praising that decision. You're acting like Nintendo is your homie, but in reality, NO company is. I'm old enough to remember when Nintendo had a monopoly in the 80s and strong armed the gaming industry and even stores like Toys R Us, but now suddenly they're "Holy" give me a break.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And you're shilling for Nintendo, failing to see how they can improve their games with better hardware. I bet if Nintendo was the leader and pushing for better graphics, you would be praising that decision. You're acting like Nintendo is your homie, but in reality, NO company is. I'm old enough to remember when Nintendo had a monopoly in the 80s and strong armed the gaming industry and even stores like Toys R Us, but now suddenly they're "Holy" give me a break.
If you're old enough to remember then you should be wise enough to the monopoly MS wants to create. Yet you cheerlead it on. Funny, that.

Pelta88

Definition of nefarious corporate hostilities.

Drell

And you're shilling for Nintendo, failing to see how they can improve their games with better hardware.
They could and I'd like that.
I bet if Nintendo was the leader and pushing for better graphics, you would be praising that decision.
Why wouldn't I? The thing is that I want good graphics AND good games. And you know what? Nintendo don't need to be bought by Microsoft for that. They proved it by the past with NES, Super NES, N64 and Gamecube.
You're acting like Nintendo is your homie, but in reality, NO company is.
Well nobody is not biased, and the thing is I'm more AGAINST MS than shilling for Nintendo. Sure, I've been buying most of their product since de mid 90s, but it's not like I have something against Sony (or Sega in the past) either. My problem is simply that MS brings nothing to the market and absorbs everything. They have too much money and multiple monopolies. I don't want them to destroy the gaming market by just buying it.
I'm old enough to remember when Nintendo had a monopoly in the 80s and strong armed the gaming industry and even stores like Toys R Us, but now suddenly they're "Holy" give me a break.
Do they still have it? Are they in a financial position to gain it again? I don't think so... MS on the other hand...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or the Monopoly Sony has been trying to create, or Nintendo already had in the 80s? What is your point here? I would just be happy to see Nintendo games running on a high end PC, not rooting for any company to become a monopoly.
SonyToo

Sony isn't buying the largest publishers in the world after an almost dissasterous PS3 launch. They got there by putting their nose to the pavement and investing into first party and key third party deals. Same deals MS helped normalize in that same PS360 era. MS fucked themselves up and now wants to make others suffer for it.

If you have a high end PC, then you already have access to the means of those games. You don't need MS to monopolize for it.

JackMcGunns

Why wouldn't I? The thing is that I want good graphics AND good games. And you know what? Nintendo don't need to be bought by Microsoft for that. They proved it by the past with NES, Super NES, N64 and Gamecube.

But they're not doing that anymore, starting with the Wii, thus my point. So no, you can't have both with Nintendo anymore, unless they invest in cutting edge hardware and that's not happening, the only change would be for them to partner up with someone that's willing to make that investment, or they bring their games to PC.

Drell

But they're not doing that anymore, starting with the Wii, thus my point. So no, you can't have both with Nintendo anymore, unless they invest in cutting edge hardware and that's not happening, the only change would be for them to partner up with someone that's willing to make that investment, or they bring their games to PC.
Okay Nostradamus...

BlackTron

Independent Nintendo: successfully manage their business such that they fund and develop games exactly the way they want, which results in games people are willing to pay full price for, even on "lesser hardware"

Nintendo owned by MS: The Nintendo equivalent of Rareware's fate for "free" on Gamepass, but in 4k

You decide!

Humdinger

Edit: I think it's obvious that most people who want this to happen, probably don't even have a current Nintendo system and have nothing but something to gain from it. Even if it's nothing but Nintendo's back catalog on Xbox and a single half-Mario game before the wheels fly off and it becomes a husk of its past self, that's more than they have now. Actual Nintendo fans have a lot to lose, a steady stream of quality games which come from a completely different dev philosophy than what happens at MS.

Yeah, I can't believe the stupidity of the people who are in favor of this move. Even if the merger won't actually happen, the fact that Phil is pushing for it (for his "career moment") -- not to mention the behind-the-scenes financial shenanigans -- ought to upset you. If it doesn't -- moreover, if you defend it, if you are in favor of it -- it betrays a serious lack of awareness and perspective. Anyone who defends this stuff lacks an understanding of gaming history, the gaming industry, Microsoft's own history, and an appreciation for Nintendo's unique culture and contributions (and I say that as someone who isn't a Nintendo fan). I cannot fathom why anyone who has an ounce of appreciation for this hobby would want MS to take over Nintendo. I can only assume such people are either too young to know better or else incapable of seeing things through anything but console warrior goggles. Man, are they wrong on this one.

Last edited:

pasterpl

If I would be MS I would buy them, and just left them to do their own thing = print money. Release portable consoles and make a killing on their games.

Solidus_T

This, and not many are acknowledging the exodus of talent from Nintendo that would inevitably follow an acquisition of this size. The new leadership's games at MS-held Nintendo would be completely different, made by a different team with an entirely different philosophy.

Top Bottom