• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

I mean, it's not what I think. It's what was said. I'll simply react if necessary.

And Sony is dominant for a reason. It isn't because they're "doing nothing".
I never said they're doing nothing. Enjoy your PS. Its fine with me that you like it. Have fun. Lots of people love it, clearly.

Imagine someone being this oblivious about.......themselves.

I’m fucking sick of them to be honest. Not one of them calls out Phil and now completely forgets they are already “everywhere” on millions and millions of PCs, laptops, phones, cloud and Samsung TVs and have they improved much since then? I’d say no.

thatJohann

Look

I think this will be a non-event. Microsoft bringing Hi fi rush and sea of thieves to other consoles and a few select titles in the future and that’s it. They’re not leaving the console business and next day it’s business as usual.

However

I’m surprised the Xbox PR team has been radio silent. This is a PR disaster. The Xbox brand is being destroyed every day more and more. And not a peep except that vague tweet from Phil.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Look

I think this will be a non-event. Microsoft bringing Hi fi rush and sea of thieves to other consoles and a few select titles in the future and that’s it. They’re not leaving the console business and next day it’s business as usual.
Their exclusives coming to other devices is very much an event. In fact, the radio silence you describe tells me something is happening and it won't just be business as usual.

I mean, a post Twitter post from now compared to a youtube video from 2 years ago, follows that trend. That's all I'm saying. You would be considered part of the problem at that point.

Why would I want the man cancelled? I don’t.

And how interesting the timing of his change of opinion

Last edited:

tutomose

Neo Member
Phil is not doing an event for just a few titles coming to rival platforms. The main thing will be the Xbox mobile store and how anyone can play anytime, anywhere.

tenor.gif
Next week………

LordCBH

Look

However

I’m surprised the Xbox PR team has been radio silent. This is a PR disaster. The Xbox brand is being destroyed every day more and more. And not a peep except that vague tweet from Phil.

They’re radio silent because this is bigger than what you’re suggesting. You don’t see the absolute glut of rumors going around and say “please look forward to a business update soon” to simply announce two games as multiplat and maybe more later.

Look

However

I have a hard time believing MS is letting this much rumor and speculation happen because a few titles are coming to Playstation. Then again I haven't understood anything Xbox does since the Xbox one reveal so maybe you're right and it's just another blunder by Xbox.

Iced Arcade

ohhh destin. if this is the plan, the whole team is brain-dead lol

gamers will go.... ummm I'll buy a PS that plays PS exclusives, 3rd party, and xbox games and save myself $500/$800 plus save a few hundred every year not paying the annual gamepass subscription.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member

ohhh destin. if this is the plan, the whole team is brain-dead lol

gamers will go.... ummm I'll buy a PS that plays PS exclusives, 3rd party, and xbox games and save myself $500/$800 plus save a few hundred every year not paying the annual gamepass subscription.

Everything about this tweet is just salty tears. You wouldn't play Skyrim on a fridge, consoles are not PCs, the era of consoles is not ending, nobody needs to adjust because Microsoft tells you to. Damn.

Everything about this tweet is just salty tears. You wouldn't play Skyrim on a fridge, consoles are not PCs, the era of consoles is not ending, nobody needs to adjust because Microsoft tells you to. Damn.

Yea I have a gaming PC. I left it because of the shit I had to deal with my Xbox controller disconnecting from the PC. My playstation controller has never disconnected from the console. I can do everything on my console with a controller. This isn't possible on PC. It's close but it's still not there.

Ain't real according to Jez, but it is still hilarious

Also hilarious that before Jez received clarification, he was rationalizing the change. lol

Ah....he deleted the tweet. I got a screenshot. lol

VIQa8Jq.png

Just to remind folks, while Jez does have contacts at MS, he is a part of their ambassador program and does not get actual details/leaks that they don't want him to have. He would not be privy to this change.

Three

I mean, a post Twitter post from now compared to a youtube video from 2 years ago, follows that trend. That's all I'm saying. You would be considered part of the problem at that point.
You'd have a point if his new tweet wasn't talking about this being the idea "a long time ago" "a year or so ago" and it being a good one. As if this isn't completely contradictory to what he was saying at the time. Nobody is asking for him to be cancelled either. Just pointing out that he'd probably say anything to toe the company line.

Last edited:

What's even funnier - and this has reached meme status at this point - is the supposed platform agnosticism in the form of "I'll play on everything" - it's the equivalent of "I have all the consoles so I am not biased" like - ahem - many users in this very forum claim as to get exempted from console wars / show that they're not leaning/are not biased towards a console/mega corporation from the moment they clearly do, frankly, it's pathetic, as if, such an excuse will somehow lend your opinion more authority...

It's basically"Hey, I'm no fanboy" and then immediately proceed to post fanboy takes 😉

Last edited:

RespawnX

It's fascinating that Microsoft is once again failing to show sufficient persistence. They were on the right track until the Xbox brand stumbled from one crisis to the next. Now they are slowly stumbling out of it, even the people from the " rival fan camp" are showing more optimism and then the next faux pas is made. A few months ago, Nadella admitted that leaving Windows Phone was one of the biggest strategic mistakes of his career. Now he can take credit for the second one. However, as long as revenue increases in the short term, shareholders won't complain. In the long term, I don't see where this will lead in the console market.

I think Game Pass on Switch and PS is highly unlikely. Without expanding the hardware install base, the subscription model will collapse. We've already seen with Palworld, Forza and other games that Game Pass doesn't have enough traction if you still can buy the game on your favorite platform. Sure, the sales generate revenue - even more. In the long term - however, I see the beginning of the end of the Game Pass subscription model. If the Xbox install base disappears - because what incentive is there to buy Xbox? - the entire install brand and the store will be under threat. In principle, this casual approach could bury the entire brand. What a shame.

Whoever is playing this game at Microsoft is hopefully damn good at poker. And I can't imagine this happening without a direct order from Nadella. I think the strategists are miscalculating here in the long term.

PaintTinJr

The PR trainwreck from this whole thing feels like all games are coming day and date to Nintendo and PlayStation, and although that technically isn't leaving the hardware market if they still have a handheld or OEM console or new next-gen console, IMO it would be semantically no different, and at best a delay for an inevitable rapid hardware exit, and at that stage, why would anyone continue using DirectX, or Visual Studio or even Windows for game development at that point? when PlayStation, Nintendo, Valve are the market at that point, and all of them use Linux and opengl/vulkan for their OS, and Steam games on Windows would work just fine using Vulkan instead.

The lock Nvidia/Microsoft has on PC gaming comes from DirectX, and without a valid Xbox hardware doing enough to justify an easy base win of choosing DirectX to target Windows/Xbox using Visual Studio and UE or Unity I fail to see how Windows will retain that lock on PC gaming, when it will just be a lot of work that cost more money for no gain in targeting PlayStation, Nintendo or SteamOS, Android or iOS.

If this goes like I think it might if they go all in on third party, there's a real risk they are gambling with undermining both theirs and Nvidia's core consumer facing businesses that have kept them both where they are for over 2 decades..

Last edited:

ulantan

Of course "all of sonys success in the console space is due to Microsoft". I can not believe people are arguing this.

Top Bottom