• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

DJ12

Hypothetically speaking if Phil really has heard you and listened xbros, and cancels all playstation and Switch releases, is paying full retail price for your gamepass fodder the price your willing to pay?

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking if Phil really has heard you and listened xbros, and cancels all playstation and Switch releases, is paying for full retail price for your gamepass fodder the price your willing to pay?

I don't think so... People STACKED YEARS of GamePass because they thought they would be getting MS games for free Day 1...

DJ12

I don't think so... People STACKED YEARS of GamePass because they thought they would be getting MS games for free Day 1...
That doesn't stop them not putting new stuff on it though does it.

People doing that are part of the problem anyway.

Last edited:
That doesn't stop them not putting new stuff on it though does it

No it doesn't but people will be pissed anyway...

MS based their strategy on Day 1 GamePass games since 2020 and many people bought Series S/X just for this very reason.

It's like getting the finger

DJ12

No it doesn't but people will be pissed anyway...

MS based their strategy on Day 1 GamePass games since 2020 and many people bought Series S/X just for this very reason.

It's like getting the finger
Better or worse than the games going to playstation (and Nintendo) though, that was the question.

Last edited:
As someone in the industry, what seems to be the feeling around this in regards to what it means for the future health of it? Do you, or anyone you know, feel that Xbox essentially going third-party is a bad thing? Or, are any concerns about the console space overblown and overlooking certain facts? Because if this goes down the way it looks, that will likely be the oft repeated narrative for quite some time. That the console market is doomed with just PlayStation and Nintendo. Especially considering the current situation between them where they almost occupy two different spaces. Any thoughts?
I wanna give a more thorough answer to this. Don't want you thinking this slipped. It just requires a far more thorough answer than i've had time to formulate.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
DYlCMH9.jpg

Will these same people admit they were wrong when full 3rd party doesn't happen?
Why would they? It wasn't long ago we were being told no exclusives were coming to playstation it was all hopium. On top of that if things continue going down hill for them on the hardware side and games sell extremely well on playstation things can and will most likely change even more. What MS says will happen and what the market will force them to do aren't always the same.

ulantan

For warriors it's probably better since they hate Playstation more than they care about Xbox

For normal users it's worse IMO
I think that's actually the one the core issues xbox is facing so much of thier "Hardcore" audience is just there because they hate playstation. A lot of the arguments from them not what they could lose but how much worse sony will be talking about 1000 dollar playstations or how xbox was the only company keeping playstation from destroying the industry. I find it fascinating.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah he milked that

That said I do believe this message of calm was sent out last night and much like he says to me as well, its from someone I trust
Was he specifical about what's toned down compared to the rumors?Because I don't think they are going 3rd party before a long time if that happens which is something that a lot of people are speculating about.The other thing I believe is possible is that they threw a bait just to see the general opinion and change plans (or announcement plans) according to the reception.

Porticus

look at his face when he got the text, omg the cringe is strong. what a fucking looser

Is embarassing that these looser are attached to the public face of Xbox, simply embarassing and Microsoft should demand from these people to stop turnishing they branding.

Sony and Nintendo luckily don't have such ambasssador that tarnish their image.

Rumor is Xbox is going third party.

That would be a bad move for gaming in general honestly, competition is good and I don't want Sony to be alone (Nintendo is on their own things). We saw how awful Sony can get.

We'll see.

Competition is good definitely, but toxic competition, that buys away everything from everyone else and then ruining all those bought studios isn’t good competition. It’s good if Xbox bows out and a victory for the video game industry.

I wish a real competitor would stand up though, it’ll be boring with only Sony and Nintendo

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Was he specifical about what's toned down compared to the rumors?Because I don't think they are going 3rd party before a long time if that happens which is something that a lot of people are speculating about.The other thing I believe is possible is that they threw a bait just to see the general opinion and change plans (or announcement plans) according to the reception.
I have zero specifics just that some dancing on Xbox grave might look foolish in the coming weeks

Sanepar

I double down it was all marketing. They will have the atention of all fans from all brands next week. New series full digital. The announce of next gen for 2026. A few old games on switch and ps. Maybe a change on gamepass model. This will let they buy more publishers and later take these games out of other platforms and they let people know what they have and maybe buy a xbox or play at cloud. It is a smart move.

Last edited:

Lions Gate

Banned
Is embarassing that these looser are attached to the public face of Xbox, simply embarassing and Microsoft should demand from these people to stop turnishing they branding.

Sony and Nintendo luckily don't have such ambasssador that tarnish their image.
Funny part is spencer him self follows these clowns on twitter

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I double down it was all marketing. They will have the atention of all fans from all brands next week. New series full digital. The announce of next gen for 2026. A few old games on switch and ps. Maybe a change on gamepass model. This will let they buy more publishers and later take these games out of other platforms and they let people know what they have and maybe buy a xbox or play at cloud. It is a smart move.
That would literally be the dumbest marketing ever.

As would bringing even just HiFi Rush and SoT to Playstation.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Yeah. I’d too sacrifice one week of hardware sales for the spotlight in a tight spot like *checks notes…* second week of February.

Nydius

they'll just go on a studio buying frenzy.
After 18 months of intense scrutiny over the ABK deal which resulted in a lot of concessions (some of which may have led to the very situation they’re in now), and is still technically in litigation with the FTC, they won’t be buying up any more studios anytime soon.

There’s also the fact they have yet to see a significant return on investment from either the Zenimax or ABK acquisitions. Those acquisitions need to become profitable to MGS before they’ll start considering other purchases. It’ll be years before they try another purchase, if ever, given the regulatory history of Microsoft.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let this be a lesson that none of these companies care about any of us lol. All they care about is making money.

Last edited:

Zheph

I can't see how they would call a business update and how many rumours are floating for just a couple of games and some legacy... it must be more than that

my bet is that there will be also be changes to how GP operates that won't go down well

Last edited:

Jerm411

I can't see how they would call a business update and how many rumours are floating for just a couple of games and some legacy... it must be more than that

my bet is that there will be also be changes to how GP operates that won't go down well
Changes to GP and the integration of ABK stuff and how that changes the price/tiers…

DJ12

Im starting to believe it will be games people dont care about. Starfield is on the list because it was a flop. Indiana Jones will likely depend on how big it's on Xbox.
It doesn't matter what it is (pretty much confirmed one is hi fi rush though)

It signals that xbox is no longer required to play xbox games if you are a console owner.

I know looking at sales it doesn't really matter, but that's significant new information for a perspective purchaser.

Should've started with something shit like starfield or forza, not the best game they released last year. Wrong message in my opinion.

ByWatterson

Yes you call a business update to talk about the “vision of the future of XBox” just to say hey guys a few legacy titles and GAAS are coming over….

Sure…ok.

And does it matter, anyway? Every title is hamstrung in the future if any one title could migrate. It might make them more money, but it won't build the platform.

They're going to transition from a platform holder than sometimes acts like a third party, to a third party that sometimes acts like a platform holder.

Hypothetically speaking if Phil really has heard you and listened xbros, and cancels all playstation and Switch releases, is paying full retail price for your gamepass fodder the price your willing to pay?
My problem was buying too many games. Sick of all the shit about not buying games. Bought all the systems too. Not my problem. People will do what they want.

Top Bottom