• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Again Confirms Xbox Is Looking To Acquire More Studios - Bloomberg Interview

I never bought the One X so I canā€™t speak to how good it is.

Why am I sick of him? Because of the way the Xbox One generation turned out, the disappointing games, the need for a portion of the fan base to keep saying ā€œwait till E3ā€ or ā€œwait till Gamescomā€ every year. It got tedious to say the least.

Iā€™m well aware of the studios bought , I am a Xbox fan after all and Iā€™ll say it again, he talks a lot, how about show something off like a game in development to continue the excitement of the XSX launch? The last major gaming release they put out on Xbox was Gears 5 last year.

Iā€™m aware games take time to make however the same stuff seems to be said year on year. It says a hell of a lot that backwards compatibility, which is a cool convenience in a console and always has been, is a dominant talking point in the launch of a new console.

It would be great if they showed something off at the VGAs that impresses, ā€œhope youā€™re enjoying your new console, hereā€™s something coming next yearā€ wouldnā€™t that be cool?
You are failing to understand just how much it takes to turn a ship around that is that big.
Game development cycles are stretching out to nearly four years.
They cant force a studio to do it faster then it takes.
Next year a ton of games will be shown.
1. Halo Infinate
2. Forza 8
3. Forza Horizon 5
4. Fable
5. Compulsions new game.
6. More Avowed.
7. More Hellblade 2
8. More Project Mara
9. More State of Decay 3
10. The Inititives new game.
11. Possibly Outer Worlds 2
12. Starfield
13. Possibly new Gears
14. More Everwild
15. New Elder Scrolls
16. Whatever else Zenimax has to be announced.

Just hold your fire. There will be an avalanche soon.

Last edited:
You are failing to understand just how much it takes to turn a ship around that is that big.
Game development cycles are stretching out to nearly four years.
They cant force a studio to do it faster then it takes.
Next year a ton of games will be shown.
1. Halo Infinate
2. Forza 8
3. Forza Horizon 5
4. Fable
5. Compulsions new game.
6. More Avowed.
7. More Hellblade 2
8. More Project Mara
9. More State of Decay 3
10. The Inititives new game.
11. Possibly Outer Worlds 2
12. Starfield
13. Possibly new Gears
14. More Everwild
15. New Elder Scrolls
16. Whatever else Zenimax has to be announced.

Just hold your fire. There will be an avalanche soon.

Iā€™ve just said to you wouldnā€™t it be cool if they started that with something shown at the VGAs? Start that avalanche as you put it? Get some real excitement going into the new year, not a what if but what is. A Initiative studio teaser? Spencer has already said heā€™s played it.

I could never understand why, given the studio set up before these acquisitions and Spencer was in place, why, they couldnā€™t of boosted that portfolio by having a second team set up with who they already had to make something new for late 2020 or going into 2021. It could of cushioned the blow of Infiniteā€™s delay some what. A PGR by t10 or Coalition doing a non Gears game whilst the new guys work , know what I mean?

I donā€™t know exactly what goes on there behind the scenes , Iā€™m just a fan and a consumer.

Last edited:
In the case with Bethesda, they have worked closely together and collaborated on stuff before.
I heard that from somewhere. Not sure if it was mentioned on this forum by another member but yes you are right. There is history of work between the two parties.

That said, i'm not against MS for acquiring studios. The more they can invest in their first party offerings, the better. We need stiff competition between the two platforms. Its how we benefit as gamers.

EDIT: Yep. Just checked now. Bethesda had relationship with Xbox division going back to the first Xbox console. So yeah this merger makes too much sense and surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve just said to you wouldnā€™t it be cool if they started that with something shown at the VGAs? Start that avalanche as you put it? Get some real excitement going into the new year, not a what if but what is. A Initiative studio teaser? Spencer has already said heā€™s played it.

I could never understand why, given the studio set up before these acquisitions and Spencer was in place, why, they couldnā€™t of boosted that portfolio by having a second team set up with who they already had to make something new for late 2020 or going into 2021. It could of cushioned the blow of Infiniteā€™s delay some what. A PGR by t10 or Coalition doing a non Gears game whilst the new guys work , know what I mean?

I donā€™t know exactly what goes on there behind the scenes , Iā€™m just a fan and a consumer.
I would have thought they would have shown the Initiative's new game, new Compulsion as well as Horizon 5 amongst others.
I can only assume they don't want to show them until they are looking amazing.
They showed off Halo in a unfinished and unacceptable condition and got smashed for it. They showed trailers for Avowed, Forza 8, Fable and State of Decay 3 and got smashed for not showing gameplay footage.
I can understand if they are a little weary of showing something that is going to get smashed on.
Look at Bethesda and Starfield. One trailer in how many years?

I but I also want to see these games as well.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

RGB'D

Everytime a publisher buys a studio, it makes gaming that little less fun for millions of people.

They could have created so many new studios with the cash they're spending to not have games release on Playstation and (mostly) Switch.

So many jobs could have been created, games made, new franchises born. They could have made the whole industry so much more vibrant and diverse, truly making the Xbox brand unique and letting the whole hobby flourish in a way we've never seen before.

Instead they've spent a fortune making gaming just a little bit smaller, less robust and less enjoyable.

Still, Xbox fanboys get to spitefully enjoy the vast majority of console gamers having games taken away from them, for having the audacity to enjoy a different product to them, so at least someone will be happy about this.

Yup. Its just as tragic as SONY purchasing exclusivity for games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Final Fantasy 16, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Demon Souls, deathloop, Destiny DLC, Project Athia, etc. Or you know, courting Bethesda for Starfields exclusivity. That was okay because of double standards for Sony fanboys.

rnlval

I'm a hypocrite? Where does it say I think other companies do it any differently?

Also, I was playfully referring to an interview with Jim Ryan in which he talked about his botanical garden or some sh*t. It was hilarious.
It's for the Sony camp. Note the :messenger_smirking:

Top Bottom