• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Again Confirms Xbox Is Looking To Acquire More Studios - Bloomberg Interview

EA

Games come to Gamepass for an exclusive period of time (Single player games like Fallen order) then release on other platforms.

Fifa, Battlefield et al have launch day parity with other systems/platforms, but there will be bonuses for playing on the Xbox over the PS5.

CoD on Playstation with the 'play on playstation to win' was just testing the waters.

scalman

Do whatever to make more and better games. Because we need thdm more so yh then invest more and make more games for us to play i dont care who will make better new game we win anyways.
but if they buy devs and then kill them cancel games and such then its sucks and dont do that.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Such a weird strategy to launch your console and THEN start shopping for game studios.

Guess he wants the Xbox 5 to have an amazing launch?

RaZoR No1

I want them to go crazy and buy Ubisoft or ea. Would be mental.
How did you spelled Sega wrong? :D

IMO you cannot deny that MS is trying to build new studios, too.
The Coalition, The Initiative, 343 Industries, Turn 10 (ok they are bit older). You could even count Playground Games, because they only made Xbox games so far.

So far only 343 disappointed with Halo and till this day we still don't know on what The Initiative is working on.

Elias

Hey Microsoft, how about slowly and organically growing your own fucking garden, instead of STEALING other gardens??

:messenger_grimmacing_
The Initiative, The Coalition, 343, among others are examples of this. It's dumb just to one or the other. MS is going with a robust strategy by building their own studios, acquisitions, and publishing exclusive third party games through Xbox game global publishing.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
This company is an existential threat to gaming. Nobody, not a majority anyways, wants anything these guys are selling. We're at the point where most third party games by a 60 -70 percent margin (90s plus for Japanese games) sell better on playstation and thats not even factoring in Nintendos realm of marketshare. Then compound that with the fact MS is conditioning their buyers NOT to buy new software and instead wait for gamespass. Phil is the the trust fund college kid that wrecked his car partying and then goes to dad asking for a brand new one, again and again.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Yeah good point. Sony would never spend money to keep something away from xbox. Never
You are talking like if MS didnt make the biggest studio investment ever.
Also you are talking like if a 14$ month suscription to play lots of AAA games is not almost like gifting games.

If you dont see how MS is burning monry to starve Sony you are just in denial. But whatever.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Such a weird strategy to launch your console and THEN start shopping for game studios.

Guess he wants the Xbox 5 to have an amazing launch?
Better than wasting your customers money on timed exclusives that forces your competitors to go to this strategy. Let's not forget if Microsoft did not buy zenimax Sony would of had the next 3 zenimax games as timed exclusives now it is just 2. So jim money hat Ryan forced that move. Want to go through each Sony studio see which was purchased? Try and content starve your competitors guess what they fight back. Some one sucker punches you in the face hit them back with brass knuckles.

Let's not forget the styling and profiling of certain people when Sony went on the wasteful money hat trip instead of buying financially challenged studios.

I think Sony would be unwise to not believe that they have to expand their studios and create new IP in new genres. Microsoft has to be met head on in the FPS and WRPG genres.

wolffy71

Banned
Also you are talking like if a 14$ month suscription to play lots of AAA games is not almost like gifting games.

If you dont see how MS is burning monry to starve Sony you are just in denial. But whatever.
Am I tho?

You seem to dismiss something when Sony does it just because MS did it bigger.

Both sides have a history of buying studios. Sony buys what it can, MS buys what it can.

Don't be naive and think its Sony's sense of right and wrong that kept it from purchasing Bethesda. Just spare me that argument at all really.

This is about business decisions not some moral stance.

Valentino

What stand alone, memorable, critically acclaimed, polished new IPs have they brought to the table the past 7 years? All I can remember was that sea of thieves game which was buggy and was another GAAS was it not? Where are the classics Microsoft?!

Phil Spencer said:

"Games are what gamers play. We build these platforms and services to deliver the best games to gamers everywhere, so we need a great supply of first party teams."

And yet even with all the teams they've purchased over the past 3 years they only had one major game planned for the launch of their next-gen console (Halo)?

This is baffling.

Hopefully, now with Bethesda they can turn that ship around. Bethesda alone will give them one or two huge games per year to work with. Their Halo and Forza studios however need a kick up the backside.

Birdo

Banned
8DFBA960A425D5A9061930BDC2D2C1FCCB00600A

Ascend

Hey Microsoft. Buy BioWare from EA, before EA puts the final nail in the coffin. The grave is already dug.

djjinx2

Everytime a publisher buys a studio, it makes gaming that little less fun for millions of people.

They could have created so many new studios with the cash they're spending to not have games release on Playstation and (mostly) Switch.

So many jobs could have been created, games made, new franchises born. They could have made the whole industry so much more vibrant and diverse, truly making the Xbox brand unique and letting the whole hobby flourish in a way we've never seen before.

Instead they've spent a fortune making gaming just a little bit smaller, less robust and less enjoyable.

Still, Xbox fanboys get to spitefully enjoy the vast majority of console gamers having games taken away from them, for having the audacity to enjoy a different product to them, so at least someone will be happy about this.

Maybe Sony could allow Xcloud on PS5? Then nobody misses out.

I think we will see streaming only versions of some Bethesda games release on Switch

Pallas

Gold Member

If you don’t see how Sony is burning money to starve XBox and PC by keeping content withheld from other platforms then you are just in denial. But whatever you know?

Gamer: Xbox has no games lmao, exclusives Is what sells consoles.

Microsoft Buys studios to help remedy their first party issues.

Gamer: What!? Noooo ;_: please release them on my system of choice.

PhaseJump

Banned
Phil and Team Xbox must be aware or even annoyed that people are losing their minds over new acquisitions in Japan.

They could nuke Sega and Falcom from orbit with a high price tag. It would settle their lack of games in the genres it needs.

This company is an existential threat to gaming. Nobody, not a majority anyways, wants anything these guys are selling. We're at the point where most third party games by a 60 -70 percent margin (90s plus for Japanese games) sell better on playstation and thats not even factoring in Nintendos realm of marketshare. Then compound that with the fact MS is conditioning their buyers NOT to buy new software and instead wait for gamespass. Phil is the the trust fund college kid that wrecked his car partying and then goes to dad asking for a brand new one, again and again.

3rd party games sell better on the bigger 3rd party platform?! Woah! Who couldn't see that coming?

Stop being retarded, GAF.

Last edited:
Whereas other console manufacturers grew their teams from a test tube, changed their shitty nappies, nurtured them through their difficult puberty years, put them through Uni...
But this is exactly what has been happening with PS First party studios.

Guerilla Games
Santa Monica
Media Molecule
Bend Studios
Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games

All these studios collaborated with PlayStation on projects long before they were purchased. None of them were just outright bought from the off.

I'm not saying Xbox can't buy whatever studio they want to buy but PlayStation definitely first worked with these studios before and I'm sure based their purchasing decision off of that partnership on collaborative projects.

Another point is BluePoint. Has been doing remakes for PlayStation for how long now and are finally being considered for purchase. So yeah, Sony kind of does nurture developers, grow them from a test tube as you put it and then put them through college before purchase lol.

So what studios does MS have a close relationship with?
Asobo obviously
I would have said Remedy a couple of years ago.
Bloober Team, but I don't think MS is buying them.
Can't really think of too many others.

Fuckin hell, if it’s not studio hires, it’s acquisitions again. Can’t they show us some new gameplay footage of some of the games they are making instead? Sick of this guy.

Fuckin hell, if it’s not studio hires, it’s acquisitions again. Can’t they show us some new gameplay footage of some of the games they are making instead? Sick of this guy.
Why would you be sick of a guy who single handed turned around the Xbox Gaming division from an underpowered, anti consumer console which had scaled back it's first party assets and was facing possible axing by Microsoft, to putting out an amazing mid gen console in the One X, investing in new studios, growing the Xbox games studios from an after thought, to the worlds biggest and most impressive gaming group after the Zenimax aquisition, to building a ground breaking console in the One X? Putting together the most pro consumer gaming bargain in Game Pass, on top of everything else?
A healthy MS makes Sony a better company.

Why would you be sick of a guy who single handed turned around the Xbox Gaming division from an underpowered, anti consumer console which had scaled back it's first party assets and was facing possible axing by Microsoft, to putting out an amazing mid gen console in the One X, investing in new studios, growing the Xbox games studios from an after thought, to the worlds biggest and most impressive gaming group after the Zenimax aquisition, to building a ground breaking console in the One X? Putting together the most pro consumer gaming bargain in Game Pass, on top of everything else?
A healthy MS makes Sony a better company.

I never bought the One X so I can’t speak to how good it is.

Why am I sick of him? Because of the way the Xbox One generation turned out, the disappointing games, the need for a portion of the fan base to keep saying “wait till E3” or “wait till Gamescom” every year. It got tedious to say the least.

I’m well aware of the studios bought , I am a Xbox fan after all and I’ll say it again, he talks a lot, how about show something off like a game in development to continue the excitement of the XSX launch? The last major gaming release they put out on Xbox was Gears 5 last year.

I’m aware games take time to make however the same stuff seems to be said year on year. It says a hell of a lot that backwards compatibility, which is a cool convenience in a console and always has been, is a dominant talking point in the launch of a new console.

It would be great if they showed something off at the VGAs that impresses, “hope you’re enjoying your new console, here’s something coming next year” wouldn’t that be cool?

Dabaus

Banned
This comes across as damage control to me, on top of everything else I said in this thread. With Xbox it’s never about the here and now, it’s always about promises made off in the far far future. I’m sure Microsoft will acquire more studios, but to me when he speaks on its almost like it’s code for “please buy our product, we’ll eventually have something for you.”

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hey Microsoft, how about slowly and organically growing your own fucking garden, instead of STEALING other gardens??

:messenger_grimmacing_

Would be better to buy one year exclusive content in cod and having pay 2 win features like double xp on ps5 right?

Pallas

Gold Member
But this is exactly what has been happening with PS First party studios.

Guerilla Games
Santa Monica
Media Molecule
Bend Studios
Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games

All these studios collaborated with PlayStation on projects long before they were purchased. None of them were just outright bought from the off.

I'm not saying Xbox can't buy whatever studio they want to buy but PlayStation definitely first worked with these studios before and I'm sure based their purchasing decision off of that partnership on collaborative projects.

Another point is BluePoint. Has been doing remakes for PlayStation for how long now and are finally being considered for purchase. So yeah, Sony kind of does nurture developers, grow them from a test tube as you put it and then put them through college before purchase lol.

In the case with Bethesda, they have worked closely together and collaborated on stuff before.

SirTerry-T

Existential?
Ahh, I see we have reached the philosophy stage of The Great Console War 2020.

Top Bottom