• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhantomL0rd(Twitch, youtuber) lies & claims home raided following DDoS that he set up

Tripon

According to a report posted over on Motherboard, Varga contacted DERP and struck a deal: should his team began losing, then it could DDoS his server. Varga’s team started losing, so the group attacked.

Game Informer noted that instead of notifying moderators on Twitch, Varga contacted DERP instead in order to boost his sub count.

In the end, instead of stopping his stream, Varga gained viewers – all told 100,000 at one point – and continued to display advertisements while gaining new subscribers at $4.99 per month each.

He even went so far as to put his channel on “sub mode,” so that the only way to join the conversation was to pay the fee.

“It’s chill to intervene with you, the public, the fans, and with these guys,” he said during the stream at one point. The Twitch stream remained live, showing the DDoSers in the act, violating Twitch’s ToS in the process. Twitch did not take the stream down.

There’s even evidence supporting the fact “more than a dozen armed police” showing up at Varga’s door and handcuffing him never happened.

Game Inform’er Mike Futter spoke with the Los Angeles Police Department who “flatly denied anything of the sort in their jurisdiction.”

Glendale police said there was “no proof of his allegations.”
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/how-a-pro-gamer-actually-made-money-from-hackers-ddosing-his-server

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...treamer-should-answer-for-server-outages.aspx

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/04/twi...following-ddos-prank-posts-video-explanation/

Original story that PhantomL0rd claimed what happened:

Kotaku reports that these attacks have been carried out by DERP to target one player, YouTuber PhantomL0rd. However, DERP has not stepped forward to claim responsibility for the prank, and its involvement has not been confirmed. Treat this as a report for now.

In the video above – about the 22 minute mark – he explains that his address has been revealed and that yesterday morning, armed police came to his home to investigate a hostage situation that was brought to their attention.

Then, at the 40 minute mark, he claims that every game he tried to play on Twitch was taken down by attacks, and that they were fuelled by his pursuit of monetising his streams.

After the ordeal he then wrote on Facebook, “woah that last post was written like shit… sorry xD.. Was shaken up I guess. Handcuffs hurt like a bitch.. I’m good guys. More updates soon, promise. Love all of you.”

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Twitch likes money too
Servers crashing for the most popular titles they stream doesn't exactly scream "revenue generator". There is a reason "Opinion" is slapped on the titles of the original piece. I would not be surprised if Phantomlord lied about his home being raided, but it is unlikely that he had anything to do with "setting up" the DDoS attacks, and if Riot thought he was in any way responsible they would have probably banned his account by now.

Weilthain

Banned
I love watching twitch streams, and I didn't actually know there were sub's and real money changing hands between the viewer and streamer, other than ad revenue.

If the kripp started asking me to pay to watch him play I wouldn't, despite how much I enjoy his channel

Omega

Banned
Servers crashing for the most popular titles they stream doesn't exactly scream "revenue generator". There is a reason "Opinion" is slapped on the titles of the original piece. I would not be surprised if Phantomlord lied about his home being raided, but it is unlikely that he had anything to do with "setting up" the DDoS attacks, and if Riot thought he was in any way responsible they would have probably banned his account by now.

one guy got over 100k

Outside of major tournaments, LoL goes anywhere between 70-120k

This happened late at night around EST for me, and LoL usually only pulls around 70-80k at this time.

this benefited Twitch as much as him.

Of course he lied.
Of course Twitch did shit to prevent this guy from doing this crap.

They made money off his scam... Would they honor refunds in light of his deceit? Would be a proper telling if that is a negative.

These scammers tho... wow. They keep getting bolder in how far they will go to obtain that chedda. First one I heard of was that guy who pretended he was paraplegic to get subs, then one day while streaming he just stands up out of his chair in front of his paying audience!

Also sub mode is the norm when you have that many people in your chat. There is no conversation happening with 100k viewers at all. Hell you can't even have normal convo with 1k viewers let alone 100k without slow mode (which ruins conversations) or sub mode.

edit
Unless he set up the whole DERP thing, I don't see how its a "scam". All he did was take advantage of the situation he was placed in. You would bet that if your job is about viewership and when 140k people are viewing that you would do that to earn you money while avoid getting into legal trouble.

They made money off his scam... Would they honor refunds in light of his deceit? Would be a proper telling if that is a negative.

These scammers tho... wow. They keep getting bolder in how far they will go to obtain that chedda. First one I heard of was that guy who pretended he was paraplegic to get subs, then one day while streaming he just stands up out of his chair in front of his paying audience!

IT'S A MIRACLE!

HE'S BEEN HEALED! /BobbyHeenan

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
one guy got over 100k

Outside of major tournaments, LoL goes anywhere between 70-120k

This happened late at night around EST for me, and LoL usually only pulls around 70-80k at this time.

this benefited Twitch as much as him.
Eh. You likely just have people migrating from other Twitch streams to his because their streamer of choice can't play the game. The numbers he was pulling are a drop in the bucket to Twitch. It's in their best interest to forge positive relationships with the companies whose games they stream, not playing up server DDoSing.

Tripon

uhhh he showed a video on his phone with the cops being there. I don't know how that is a lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeA43-U5kM

There's no arrest report from either the LAPD, or Glendale police. His arrest would be a matter of public record.

Okay, so what about the police at his home, the arrest he video-blogged about? The BBC reported that “more than a dozen armed police responded to the call, which resulted in Mr Varga being arrested and handcuffed,” a fact they got from a video by Varga. VentureBeat wrote that Varga took photos and a video of the police officers and shared them on his livestream, “so he could prove he wasn’t lying,” words again from Varga.

According to Futter, who spent days interviewing local law enforcement, the Los Angeles Police Department “flatly denied anything of the sort in their jurisdiction." Glendale PD also implied parts of Varga’s tale of being arrested were far-fetched. “There is no proof of his allegations,” concluded Futter via Twitter DM.

Even the video VentureBeat claimed Varga shared on his livestream doesn’t seem to exist—it can’t be found in his video response recorded streams, in any subsequent videos, or on his Twitter or Facebook. A photo he posted the next day of a single police car could be legit, but it doesn't exactly what kind of response he may have gotten, and it is certainly not 15 police officers shoving a gun in his face as he claimed. Meanwhile, there are plenty of Photoshopped images of Varga getting arrested, made by his fans.

At best, there were a couple of police officers talking to him about something, and we're not even sure that happened.

K.Sabot

GI's grasp on this entire situation seems shakier than the story.

And by GI, I mean all of the articles listed.

antitrop

In all honesty, so what?

Did he do anything illegal? What should be his punishment? eSports drama is the lamest thing in the world and I'm someone that loves eSports.

"Twitch streamer uses unscrupulous methods to gain publicity! SHOCKING NEWS"

Something was up when he said the cops were there looking over stuff and getting information from him, then subsequently he's in handcuffs yet still typing messages?

jabuseika

There was something shady about all this.

The whole thing about the LAPD showing up was a lie, LAPD don't show up guns drawn, without there being a public report made.

K.Sabot

So, PhantomL0rd claims his house was raided by over a dozen police officers, and put him in handcuffs.

And he didn't get arrested. Okay. Somebody is lying here.

I can guarantee you he wasn't arrested, but he may have been visited and detained.

~Kinggi~

Banned
4chan or someone will expose this guy. Dumbass. You dont lie on the internets with money involved and 100k viewers. Lulz incoming.

So, PhantomL0rd claims his house was raided by over a dozen police officers, and put him in handcuffs.

You don't get arrested if you happen to be in cuffs. Thats not how the law works. Maybe you should read up on this.

Midou

phoenix-thinking(a).gif

Something is definitely fishy here.

Gold Member
Pretty low if all that turns out to be true, the whole profiteering off subs / ads during the stream is shady in itself IMO.

Tripon

You don't get arrested if you happen to be in cuffs. Thats not how the law works. Maybe you should read up on this.

No, but there would definitely be a police report that would be public record that would be provided when requested.

To be categorically denied by two local jurisdictions on record shows what BS all of that was.

No way in hell would the LAPD or Glendale police department would send over a dozen police officers all at once without confirming there was in fact a real hostage situation.

That's just BS.

There are really only 2 major logical reasons for what happen

1) It really happen but people don't believe it

2) PL is a dumbass and thinks a one time stunt is worth losing a career over. He isn't even going to get a good amount of the money if twitch bans him.

So lets say if hes lying. How is he lying? Is he lying and set up the whole hack and ddos? Because the ddoss were real and actually happened. If that is the case then he and the ddossers are in on this. So what is in it for the ddossers?

Lets say he is lying about the police coming. First lets establish that the police have came to a streamer's house before and it was capture on stream (A WoW streamer), so its not to say it has never happened before. Next lets establish that if he were to lie about the police coming to his place, that means that he first thought up on this lie during the time he gets ddos. Are you telling me that while he was getting ddos and etc that he was like "I can turn this situation into a good situation for me! I'll make some police story up".

I'm not saying that he is telling the truth. Logically (if PL not a dumbass) he would be telling the truth. But there is that small % that he is a dumbass and decided to risk his career over a one-time stunt that won't even net him that much money.

kejigoto

Banned
uhhh he showed a video on his phone with the cops being there. I don't know how that is a lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeA43-U5kM

You can't even tell if that's him on the video and it's amazing how every time he tries to pull the video up someone calls and interrupts him. Instead of uploading the video to his computer he tries to use the phone he's complaining about that won't stop getting calls and that's it?

Also if the cops were at the door why mute the mic?

No, but there would definitely be a police report that would be public record that would be provided when requested.

To be categorically denied by two local jurisdictions on record shows what BS all of that was.

No way in hell would the LAPD or Glendale police department would send over a dozen police officers all at once without confirming there was in fact a real hostage situation.

That's just BS.

Wut ?

You must've never heard of swatting than bro, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Tripon

Wut ?

You must've never heard of swatting than bro, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

LAPD has a public policy against swatting. If it was a case of swatting, they would publicly announce that what it is, the fact that they just denied that it happened speaks volumes.

That video is over a hour long. Can you provide a link where he actually shows the cops coming?
LOL?

if you have no time to watch a video where the person you are accusing of lying is giving his side of the story then you shouldn't be in the business of accusing.

So no I'm not going to hand feed you. Watch the god damn video and listen to his side of the story if you want to accuse him of lying.

There are really only 2 major logical reasons for what happen

1) It really happen but people don't believe it

2) PL is a dumbass and thinks a one time stunt is worth losing a career over. He isn't even going to get a good amount of the money if twitch bans him.

So lets say if hes lying. How is he lying? Is he lying and set up the whole hack and ddos? Because the ddoss were real and actually happened. If that is the case then he and the ddossers are in on this. So what is in it for the ddossers?

Lets say he is lying about the police coming. First lets establish that the police have came to a streamer's house before and it was capture on stream (A WoW streamer), so its not to say it has never happened before. Next lets establish that if he were to lie about the police coming to his place, that means that he first thought up on this lie during the time he gets ddos. Are you telling me that while he was getting ddos and etc that he was like "I can turn this situation into a good situation for me! I'll make some police story up".

I'm not saying that he is telling the truth. Logically (if PL not a dumbass) he would be telling the truth. But there is that small % that he is a dumbass and decided to risk his career over a one-time stunt that won't even net him that much money.

Did you know who the hell DERP was before this shit? I sure as fuck didn't... but since the attacks began they are all over the media. I'm sure in their eyes, they got plenty.

Did you know who the hell DERP was before this shit? I sure as fuck didn't... but since the attacks began they are all over the media. I'm sure in their eyes, they got plenty.

did people know of lulsec or whatever before PSN? did people know of middle eastern terrorist regime before 9-11?

This shit can go forever. They clearly had the power to do it whenever they wanted, they don't need PL in order to create attention. Dryus was streaming at the time as well. He is way more famous than PL

BHK3

Banned
Twitch doesn't give a shit about anything, why would they? Who's gonna run them out of town exactly?

Tripon

LOL?

if you have no time to watch a video where the person you are accusing of lying is giving his side of the story then you shouldn't be in the business of accusing.

So no I'm not going to hand feed you. Watch the god damn video and listen to his side of the story if you want to accuse him of lying.

You're the one who provided the link saying I should watch it! Show me the relevant part, or I'm just going to write you off as a troll.

This is the photo PhantomL0rd posted to support his claim of cops showing up at his house. I see one cop, and no reason to believe that he's there for him. I'm still calling BS on this guy.

1186724_583402791746540_475291662_n.png

Try around 39:00, though it isn't exactly the best evidence in the world.

Thanks, I'll try to look around there.

You're the one who provided the link saying I should watch it! Show me the relevant part, or I'm just going to write you off as a troll.

This is the photo PhantomL0rd posted to support his claim of cops showing up at his house. I see one cop, and no reason to believe that he's there for him. I'm still calling BS on this guy.

So let me get this straight

1) You are accusing somebody of lying and scamming

2) you won't take the time to listen to the guy's defense.

3) You continue to accuse him.

Are you just being an idiot or do you just listen to one side of an argument only?

LAPD has a public policy against swatting. If it was a case of swatting, they would publicly announce that what it is, the fact that they just denied that it happened speaks volumes.

There's a difference between being arrested and booked which than there would be a public record of a police report opposed to being detained and questioned. Oh let me guess cops never lie either huh ?

Well are you going to tell us how it really works?

Google swatting

Top Bottom