• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

Mr.Phoenix

PC vs Console thread?

Yup... another one.

Isn't it funny how the thread devolves into that instead of talking about what the real issue is here?

Chiggs

Stop playing nothing but the latest blockbuster AAA releases and you'll find out lol.

But those are some of the games I want to play. I read you loud and clear about the breadth of indie games and underrated gems on Steam, but let's not pretend there aren't enticing "AAA" games.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Making a thread on NeoGAF discussing a video someone else made?

What is it about this thread that's triggering you:
  • The critique of the PC?
  • The praise of the PS5?
Either answer is problematic. Who the fuck cares? I've long been a PC gamer on this forum and if I want to trash the platform because it's objectively a mess right now, then what does it matter to you?

Go outside and take a walk, see a movie?

I couldn't have said it better myself.
I mean, this is the 10th thread talking about this in maybe 2 weeks? I don't understand what new perspective you bring to the table and this could have been posted in any of those other threads.
Also I have no problem with the PS5 (or any consoles), it's really good for the price.

But what I don't like is people making generality like we only have badly optimized games on PC. No, we had a few AAA port that where bad. That's it. Thankfully there is plenty of other games to play on PC.

PC is currently going through a sad phase. With that said, its benefits far outweigh consoles even considering that. Remember how MS just nuked emulation on Series consoles like that? My emulators are fine on PC. PC is freedom and so long as consoles remain locked down curated experiences, I will never prefer that to PC. Just the idea of having to pay some CEO $50 just to access online mode in a $70 game riddled with DLC/microtransactions is repulsive to me. So shamelessly monetized around every corner.
I heard I should just trash my HE rig, cop a PS5 and call it a day. :messenger_loudly_crying:
Fuck him…traitor lol
Heh. Imagine a video like this coming from the guy who lays out multiple 4090s and talks directly at you like it's a regular humdrum day.

feynoob

You are no longer a pc superfan. Your Pcmr card membership is cancelled.
towering homer simpson GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lol the ps5 is not perfect but it absolutely don't have the same problems pc has right now... and it's freaking 400$.
You would have to be a fool not to see that.

The biggest problem on ps5 right now is FSR 2.0 games. I really hate how it looks. It's grainy and just looks like shit. This we can agree on.
But it's still a plug and play device without a care in the world.

Pc does what pc always did. I don't see how the problems now are much worse than they always been. I've been a pc gamer myh whole life.
I don't think pc gaming got much worse honestly. It is simple to set up, crank games and just play. But there are so many annoyances that can occur with new releases that I just got no fucking time and patience for anymore.
Makes you feel like an idiot having to deal with problems for the amount of money and time spent on the pc.

Most recent game I've played on pc was Resident Evil 4 Remake. I finished that game 2 times. 4k with fsr quality, no rt, some tweaks to shadows and volumetrics and it ran fantastic. No issues.....
But to to get to that point with re4, I spent good 3 hours trying to figure out why the demo kept crashing. Then I spent another good 2 hours when full version released because it turns out, it was still crashing after longer time. My father comes over to see new big games like he always does and it's fucking crashing. on a 3080.
This is embarrassing as fuck. I called him "You can come in dad. Bring the gaming supplies (coke, chips), I fixed the game and it's ready". Then he comes over and it's crashing. Pizza gets cold, we are wasting our time... and I am 34 years old. Playing games on pc since I was 7.
Sure, the fixes were extremely simple. just disable some settings. But the game was new and nobody really knew yet.

So yeah, I will cock guzzle ps5 because it's just that good. if You can't see any of that, I have no idea what to say.

The PS5 version had problems as well. Jedi Survivor was crashing on PS5.

This is the state of modern AAA gaming. It’s not a problem only affecting PCs.

But those are some of the games I want to play. I read you loud and clear about the breadth of indie games and underrated gems on Steam, but let's not pretend there aren't enticing "AAA" games.
Yeah, but their existence does not mean that PC gaming today isn't better than it's ever been. It might suck when whatever flavor of the month AAA console game gets a shitty PC port, but you need to keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago that PC got no ports at all.

Braag

Eh, it's Jay we're talking about here, he has always tried to get views by drumming up drama, which is why I stopped watching his vids for tech stuff completely.
He clearly doesn't remember the 7th gen of consoles when it was all doom and gloom and PC gaming was considered dead.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I did just buy an expensie GPU so....LIES, PC IS TEH BEST EVA FUCKIN CONSOLE PEASANTS etc.

On a more serious note, I kind of agree. The platform has been a shitshow ever since the pandemic and I'm not sure when it will end. At least we still have older games that work well. New ports...I'm staying away. If I didn't have the financial means to support multiple platforms, I'd be just fine with a PS5 seeing how things are.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Meh. My PC game library shitted, shits, and will continue to shit all over the PS5 game library. The PS5 can't even cover genres of RTS and flight and sub sims and that doesn't even get into the mod scene where there is tons of fully realized content.

Last edited:

damidu

pc gaming is pretty much a con job at the moment, the amount you have to pay for repeatedly getting fucked is unbelievable.

not to mention pc-exclusives like shader stutters on almost every new title

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This happens every console transition. People bring up the infamous Arkham Knight port a lot, but they forget that was a then-next gen PS4/XBone game similar to what Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor etc are now.

What I deeply dislike about the PC gaming community is the downplaying of how common the issues are and how annoying they can be to fix, I spent a ton of time trying to troubleshoot Death Stranding to no avail, eventually just dropping the issue and moving on to the next game. Just yesterday I spent an hour and half of my weekend trying to figure out why Discord won't start on my PC, issue was solved but at the expense of my weekend enjoyment.

Playing the expensive spec game should reduce those issues, not exacerbate them!
Well said and it’s why there will always be a console market, normally it just works

I don’t know how many times I have downloaded a brand new game and oh wait there are game ready drivers and now all of a sudden things like Discord doesn’t work like you said.

Granted it doesn’t happen often but many people do not want to deal with this shit and I know several who won’t

Senua

Gold Member
PC is in a bad spot right now and yeah PS5 seems like the best product to tide the transition the PC space is going through but everything will pass eventually.

If you’re impatient or are enticed by what Sony is offering, it’s not a bad choice to do. It’s not an either or. You can enjoy both for what it is.
This is far too sensible a take

Chiggs

Eh, it's Jay we're talking about here, he has always tried to get views by drumming up drama, which is why I stopped watching his vids for tech stuff completely.
He clearly doesn't remember the 7th gen of consoles when it was all doom and gloom and PC gaming was considered dead.

But PC gamers had standout exclusives like Crysis and STALKER. And, yes, I realize the exclusives were few and far between, and there were letdowns like Spore.

That said, the console ports were okay, barring Rage, which Carmack blamed on (drumroll) video card drivers.

Like that thread title is trying to invite discussion.

And yet...here you are.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

But PC gamers had standout exclusives like Crysis and STALKER. And, yes, I realize the exclusives were few and far between, and there were letdowns like Spore.

That said, the console ports were okay, barring Rage, which Carmack blamed on (drumroll) video card drivers.
Most of these standout exclusives would go on to get console ports. Just like -surprise surprise- today.

And the console-to-pc ports were far from okay, if they existed at all.

Chiggs

I honestly dont care about this meta commentary on the state of the forum when one of the biggest PC youtubers is the one saying this.

If this thread was created by kretos and he was the one shitting on the state of PC gaming, you would have a point.

This.

And if there's commentary to be had on the state of this forum, I'd personally start taking a long, hard look at the people that have such thin skin about stuff like this.

And zero discussion going on as you intended. Just a thinly veiled PS5 great, PC bad thread.

I never intended for easily-triggered people to come in and get offended. That was there choice and continues to be so.

Also, my name isn't JayzTwoCentz. I'm Chiggs, generally-speaking, a PC gamer on NeoGAF.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Well, that's definitely a start. And then I think the hardware follows suit. The gouging is a mess and there's no reason to keep upgrading your PC every year or so, when the games themselves can be unoptimized messes.
There are still games that aren’t a mess. And console versions almost always leave me wanting more so I see no solution to anything on that end. No stutterstruggle isn’t all I desire, I want full control over mods and settings and VR capabilities instead of developer chosen presets I have no control over.

Chiggs

And the console-to-pc ports were far from okay, if they existed at all.

That's a shame you feel that way. Emphasis on the word "feel." I had a great time with Mass Effect, BioShock, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and many others.

As far as I can tell, the most controversial PC port of that era was Grand Theft Auto IV, but that's because Rockstar included some extremely advanced options that would scale with future hardware.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I honestly dont care about this meta commentary on the state of the forum when one of the biggest PC youtubers is the one saying this.

If this thread was created by kretos and he was the one shitting on the state of PC gaming, you would have a point.

Jay’s not wrong and he’s expressed frustration in a few of his videos. I’ve bitched about Nvidia quite a bit around here, as well as how awful motherboard prices were getting out of control. AMD being asleep at the wheel instead of trying to compete with Nvidia. The gaming industry just pumping out shitty ports that have to be fixed.

But that wasn’t the intention of this thread. You can tell that just by the thread title.

Del_X

Boo hoo clickbait drama. As someone who got back into PC gaming late last year after being almost entirely on consoles for the PS4 gen, I don’t get the bitching.

The absolute WORST case scenario is you don’t buy games at launch and buy used components.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean, this is the 10th thread talking about this in maybe 2 weeks? I don't understand what new perspective you bring to the table and this could have been posted in any of those other threads.
Also I have no problem with the PS5 (or any consoles), it's really good for the price.

But what I don't like is people making generality like we only have badly optimized games on PC. No, we had a few AAA port that where bad. That's it. Thankfully there is plenty of other games to play on PC.
Dude, it's been six months of this shit. Month after month, game after game, it's been a fucking disaster. Ten threads is not enough. Especially when PC youtubers are finally calling out PC ports, nvidia and AMD. We want gaming journalists to do this, they dont, we then turn to media personalities who now make millions off youtube but still dont call out the industry. Here we finally have a major youtuber effectively sponsor the PS5, and its a great powerful statement to make.

I no longer game on my PS5 so been buying these PC games day one, or month one, and it's been one of the worst experiences ive had gaming since maybe 1999 when I was trying to run pirated games on my pentium 1.

- Gotham Knights - This was broken at launch so I got a refund, but then bought it a month later after they sorted out the shader comp stutter. Still, RT mode was broken with stutters down to 2 fps that lasted anywhere between 20 seconds to 3 minutes until i quit the game. yes, i ran it at 60 fps in non-RT mode but the PS5 version ran it at 30 fps locked with RT on from day one.

- Witcher 3 RT mode- Ran fine in the open world with some obvious cuts to performance, but as soon as I went into the city or settlement, the framerate would crash. This was an issue on consoles, but on PC, it was straight up unplayable. Sub 30 fps framerates no matter what I did to the resolution. I eventually gave up.

- Hogarts - Unplayble on 16 GB with massive stutters everywhere. Upgraded to 32 GB which improved stutters and made all those config file changes recommended by Reddit and it worked like a charm. but without RT. Turning on RT caused the same CPU bottlenecks i saw in Witcher 3 and Gotham Knights.

- Resident Evil 6 - Most polished game of the bunch. Perfectly playable in non-RT mode. 4k 60 fps no DLSS or FSR required. Amazing. That is, until i turned on RT and it would crash until i reduced textures from 8GB to 1GB causing massive LOD pop-in with textures loading in front of me in every other area. 4th game in a row where i had to turn off RT on a Nvidia card i bought specifically for RT. This one is on Nvidia since its a vram issue, but still.

- TLOU - No need to eloborate on this one. Everyone knows it was the worst PC port in years.

- Star Wars - Yes, this is broken on every system, Pc or console but its the first game on my list that runs like shit on PS5 on day one.

Then you have games like Redfall, Callisto, Forspoken and Dead Space which i didnt even bother playing because of how poorly they ran on PC. Some of these games were eventually fixed while some werent. The point is if you are a hardcore gamer who wants to play games on day one, with some exceptions like Star Wars, PC is not the way to go at the moment.

Guilty_AI

That's a shame you feel that way. Emphasis on the word "feel." I had a great time with Mass Effect, BioShock, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and many others.

As far as I can tell, the most controversial PC port of that era was Grand Theft Auto IV, but that's because Rockstar included some extremely advanced options that would scale with future hardware.
And i have a great time now. In my personal experience, i see nothing of this gloom and doom people talk of here or in pc-tech channels, just great games, running fine on mid-range hardware with no major issues. None of that "i spent 5 hours tinkering" rofif bullshit i sometimes read. Most trouble i ever had is when trying to do unconventional stuff, like setting up 20 yo games to play on multiplayer, or running obscure games on linux laptops.

So, sorry you feel that way about modern pc-gaming i guess. Because to me, most of these complaints just sound bizarre, or at least directed at very particular segments or gaming.

Last edited:

Chiggs

But that wasn’t the intention of this thread. You can tell that just by the thread title.

That was the intention of the thread, which is why I led with "PC Superfan JayzTwoCentz..." And I'd know a lot about the intent, since you know, I created the thread.

The story here is that a committed PC fan, JayzTwoCentz, is criticizing the PC industry and rightfully so, as you even acknowledge.

So what is the problem here? You want me to request a mod edit?

SlimySnake

Jay’s not wrong and he’s expressed frustration in a few of his videos. I’ve bitched about Nvidia quite a bit around here, as well as how awful motherboard prices were getting out of control. AMD being asleep at the wheel instead of trying to compete with Nvidia. The gaming industry just pumping out shitty ports that have to be fixed.

Regardless of the intent, I think this is a conversation thats worth having. This forum can be way too system warrish at times with the stupid fucking acquisition causing so much non-sense even with mods working overtime to ban these fanboys. But honestly, im glad that PC gaming is getting more attention now. Especially since more and more console gamers are moving to PC gaming because of both Sony and MS putting their games on PC. These forums are mostly console oriented so I welcome any PC discussion that exposes the awful practices by the PC manufacturers.

I think the fact that there is no single entity to blame on PC is whats allowed PC gaming to get to this state. Look at Redfall, we all cancelled Phil Spencer for it. Who do we cancel for the 10 straight awful PC ports?

I mean Cyberpunk happened 2.5 years ago. What lessons were learned? Clearly, no one saw that disaster and said hey we have to do better. I guess, they saw Sony do refunds for the first time for an AAA game taking the game off the platform, and ensured that PS5 versions will ship in a somewhat decent state, but clearly, no one gives a shit about PC gaming. No Jensen, not Lisa, and especially no Gabe who is content to offer refunds past the two hour window but doesnt ever stand up for his consumer base.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude, it's been six months of this shit. Month after month, game after game, it's been a fucking disaster. Ten threads is not enough. Especially when PC youtubers are finally calling out PC ports, nvidia and AMD. We want gaming journalists to do this, they dont, we then turn to media personalities who now make millions off youtube but still dont call out the industry. Here we finally have a major youtuber effectively sponsor the PS5, and its a great powerful statement to make.

I no longer game on my PS5 so been buying these PC games day one, or month one, and it's been one of the worst experiences ive had gaming since maybe 1999 when I was trying to run pirated games on my pentium 1.

- Gotham Knights - This was broken at launch so I got a refund, but then bought it a month later after they sorted out the shader comp stutter. Still, RT mode was broken with stutters down to 2 fps that lasted anywhere between 20 seconds to 3 minutes until i quit the game. yes, i ran it at 60 fps in non-RT mode but the PS5 version ran it at 30 fps locked with RT on from day one.

- Witcher 3 RT mode- Ran fine in the open world with some obvious cuts to performance, but as soon as I went into the city or settlement, the framerate would crash. This was an issue on consoles, but on PC, it was straight up unplayable. Sub 30 fps framerates no matter what I did to the resolution. I eventually gave up.

- Hogarts - Unplayble on 16 GB with massive stutters everywhere. Upgraded to 32 GB which improved stutters and made all those config file changes recommended by Reddit and it worked like a charm. but without RT. Turning on RT caused the same CPU bottlenecks i saw in Witcher 3 and Gotham Knights.

- Resident Evil 6 - Most polished game of the bunch. Perfectly playable in non-RT mode. 4k 60 fps no DLSS or FSR required. Amazing. That is, until i turned on RT and it would crash until i reduced textures from 8GB to 1GB causing massive LOD pop-in with textures loading in front of me in every other area. 4th game in a row where i had to turn off RT on a Nvidia card i bought specifically for RT. This one is on Nvidia since its a vram issue, but still.

- TLOU - No need to eloborate on this one. Everyone knows it was the worst PC port in years.

- Star Wars - Yes, this is broken on every system, Pc or console but its the first game on my list that runs like shit on PS5 on day one.

Then you have games like Redfall, Callisto, Forspoken and Dead Space which i didnt even bother playing because of how poorly they ran on PC. Some of these games were eventually fixed while some werent. The point is if you are a hardcore gamer who wants to play games on day one, with some exceptions like Star Wars, PC is not the way to go at the moment.
witcher 3 rt when I tried it on my pc. Moments before crashing :p

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s funny because the only game I can think of where you get an objectively better experience on console is a shit port from Sony themselves. Jedi Survivor runs at sub 720p on PS5. 😂

What brand worshippers around here can’t seem to wrap their head around is people just prefer the PC experience. Mods, Steam, emulation, tinkering, etc. The same way you prefer the console experience.

SlimySnake

yeah, its shocking how many times ive gotten these sub 10 fps stutters on PC the last few months. This kind of stuff is simply unacceptable.

Even Cyberpunk which i bought day one, didnt have stuttering this bad. Bugs yes. poor performance yes, but nothing like this. Gotham Knights, Witcher 3, TLOU, Star Wars and Hogwarts, all had this stuttering bug on my 3080. It wasnt a vram issue either since it would happen even if i was around 6-7 GB.

TLOU, Hogwarts and Star Wars patched out this bug eventually, but it took TLOU a month and hogwarts a couple of weeks. Star wars was fixed within 3 days which is impressive and kinda frustrating because they couldve just delayed the game by a week and I wouldnt have had this stupid sub 10 fps stutter crashes in my first 8 hours of playtime.

Unknown?

It’s funny because the only game I can think of where you get an objectively better experience on console is a shit port from Sony themselves. Jedi Survivor runs at sub 720p on PS5. 😂

What brand worshippers around here can’t seem to wrap their head around is people just prefer the PC experience. Mods, Steam, emulation, tinkering, etc. The same way you prefer the console experience.
This has nothing to do with preference. It has to do with a crap market. No one is saying console is better than PC, just that at the moment it's a better value.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This happens every console transition. People bring up the infamous Arkham Knight port a lot, but they forget that was a then-next gen PS4/XBone game similar to what Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor etc are now.

What I deeply dislike about the PC gaming community is the downplaying of how common the issues are and how annoying they can be to fix, I spent a ton of time trying to troubleshoot Death Stranding to no avail, eventually just dropping the issue and moving on to the next game. Just yesterday I spent an hour and half of my weekend trying to figure out why Discord won't start on my PC, issue was solved but at the expense of my weekend enjoyment.

Playing the expensive spec game should reduce those issues, not exacerbate them!
Not gonna lie, PC ports have been pretty crappy lately.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"​

And he's right. PS5, even considering the fact that it also has problems performance related (not to mentions it's not a true 4K console, depending on a game and settings used).... it's WAAAAAY cheaper than anything PC related right now and it's 100% BS free and pick up and play experience. You even have much faster load times and 12GB+ VRAM. I'm glad I bought PS5, can't wait to play FFXVI next month.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Regardless of the intent, I think this is a conversation thats worth having. This forum can be way too system warrish at times with the stupid fucking acquisition causing so much non-sense even with mods working overtime to ban these fanboys. But honestly, im glad that PC gaming is getting more attention now. Especially since more and more console gamers are moving to PC gaming because of both Sony and MS putting their games on PC. These forums are mostly console oriented so I welcome any PC discussion that exposes the awful practices by the PC manufacturers.

I think the fact that there is no single entity to blame on PC is whats allowed PC gaming to get to this state. Look at Redfall, we all cancelled Phil Spencer for it. Who do we cancel for the 10 straight awful PC ports?

I mean Cyberpunk happened 2.5 years ago. What lessons were learned? Clearly, no one saw that disaster and said hey we have to do better. I guess, they saw Sony do refunds for the first time for an AAA game taking the game off the platform, and ensured that PS5 versions will ship in a somewhat decent state, but clearly, no one gives a shit about PC gaming. No Jensen, not Lisa, and especially no Gabe who is content to offer refunds past the two hour window but doesnt ever stand up for his consumer base.

My stance is that I never buy AAA games (or any really) at launch. I prefer to hang back and wait for price drops, with the bonus being I’m not dealing with the headaches.
The only reason I experienced the Last of Us headaches, was it was given to me for free.
For the people that want to play the latest games day one, it’s a shame. I’ve never seen game releases like this. They’re all in such a poor state regardless of platform, and none of us deserve this.

SantaC

Boo hoo clickbait drama. As someone who got back into PC gaming late last year after being almost entirely on consoles for the PS4 gen, I don’t get the bitching.

The absolute WORST case scenario is you don’t buy games at launch and buy used components.
The PC has an amazing library thanks to steam.

People in here are exaggerating problems with PC.

yamaci17

didn't happen on my 3070/2700x/16 gb ram rig. whoever the player in the video is must reduce texture quality bit (if you're, then take the hint and reduce it. no need to play egoistic ultra fetish person here. i warned everyone back in 2020 all over forums that it will be impossible to max out textures on 8-10 gb cards very soon. dont worry they wont turn into mush or crap. they will look fine. you will still get RT benefits, and get playable performance without crashes or stutters. if i could do it on my 3070, you could do it on your 3080 as well. i played w3 rt day 1 for like 40 hrs never had any kind of this crash neither in novigrad nor in toussaint. I can download 4.0 patch specifically and show you a 20 minutes of gameplay recording from novigrad with high preset + ray tracing. (no ultra as ultra breaches 8 gb. 10 gb should be fine for 4k high/1440p ultra.)

SlimySnake SlimySnake to be fair some of you are simply putting too much strain on vram when you knew you bought a gpu that had to compromise on vram-bound settings. i dont know about 6-7 gb vram usage you were having issues with but I did not get 10 fps stutter crashes in hogwarts legacy (pre access) or w3 tay tracing. same for TLOU. My system is not a magical thing but I just know how to rein textures/settings down. you gotta learn it or get a new GPU and make sure that it has ample amount of vram (do not get 12 gb vram if you constantly run into vram issues with 10 gigs for example. you will experience exact same problem just a bit delayed)

im not defending the state of the ports but most of them could've been better if they simply showed you a VRAM bar that their engine is requesting. that way you could see you're pushing too much or not, but sadly most games do not do this. and with games like star wars ue games, you can be vram bottlenecked at hilarious vram usages such as 7-7.5 gb on a 10 gb card without knowing it. is it a curse of pc gaming all at the same time? yes. but if you are at least knowledgeable about it, you can simply reduce texture quality and have it fixed away. im not saying turn them into ps2 textures, i play star wars with "high" textures instead of epic and i still get super detailed textures. i literally played hogwarts legacy with medium texture streaming at 4k/dlss and textures looked fantastic, even on close inspection. not every texture setting is equal. for witcher 3, you gotta stay away from "ultra+" texture setting if you use ray tracing alongside with it. even high will load the new gen texture pack (halkhogan mod). there's miniscule difference between high and ultra and ultra+ is mostly wasteful textures rendering at high quality at super long range. only at medium that textures get visibly downgraded in medium range, and even low you will be hard pressed to see bad textures in close proximity to you

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That was the intention of the thread, which is why I led with "PC Superfan JayzTwoCentz..." And I'd know a lot about the intent, since you know, I created the thread.

The story here is that a committed PC fan, JayzTwoCentz, is criticizing the PC industry and rightfully so, as you even acknowledge.

So what is the problem here? You want me to request a mod edit?

Don’t worry about it.

The video is excellent, and Jay’s right on the money. PC gamers are no doubt being taken advantage of with pricing, and the quality of some hardware and lack of care is really ridiculous.

Jay said he wouldn’t blame someone for thinking maybe a PS5 is more for me, and I don’t disagree. I love PC gaming and prefer it to console gaming, but it’s not something I would recommend to a friend looking to play games casually. There’s a commitment to it, and right now we’re getting shafted on the hardware side of things. Not to say there’s no deals to be hand, but by and large prices are up there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
didn't happen on my 3070/2700x/16 gb ram rig. whoever the player in the video is must reduce texture quality bit (if you're, then take the hint and reduce it. no need to play egoistic ultra fetish person here. i warned everyone back in 2020 all over forums that it will be impossible to max out textures on 8-10 gb cards very soon. dont worry they wont turn into mush or crap. they will look fine. you will still get RT benefits, and get playable performance without crashes or stutters. if i could do it on my 3070, you could do it on your 3080 as well. i played w3 rt day 1 for like 40 hrs never had any kind of this crash neither in novigrad nor in toussaint. I can download 4.0 patch specifically and show you a 20 minutes of gameplay recording from novigrad with high preset + ray tracing. (no ultra as ultra breaches 8 gb. 10 gb should be fine for 4k high/1440p ultra.)

SlimySnake SlimySnake to be fair some of you are simply putting too much strain on vram when you knew you bought a gpu that had to compromise on vram-bound settings. i dont know about 6-7 gb vram usage you were having issues with but I did not get 10 fps stutter crashes in hogwarts legacy (pre access) or w3 tay tracing. same for TLOU. My system is not a magical thing but I just know how to rein textures/settings down. you gotta learn it or get a new GPU and make sure that it has ample amount of vram (do not get 12 gb vram if you constantly run into vram issues with 10 gigs for example. you will experience exact same problem just a bit delayed)

im not defending the state of the ports but most of them could've been better if they simply showed you a VRAM bar that their engine is requesting. that way you could see you're pushing too much or not, but sadly most games do not do this. and with games like star wars ue games, you can be vram bottlenecked at hilarious vram usages such as 7-7.5 gb on a 10 gb card without knowing it. is it a curse of pc gaming all at the same time? yes. but if you are at least knowledgeable about it, you can simply reduce texture quality and have it fixed away. im not saying turn them into ps2 textures, i play star wars with "high" textures instead of epic and i still get super detailed textures. i literally played hogwarts legacy with medium texture streaming at 4k/dlss and textures looked fantastic, even on close inspection. not every texture setting is equal. for witcher 3, you gotta stay away from "ultra+" texture setting if you use ray tracing alongside with it. even high will load the new gen texture pack (halkhogan mod). there's miniscule difference between high and ultra and ultra+ is mostly wasteful textures rendering at high quality at super long range. only at medium that textures get visibly downgraded in medium range, and even low you will be hard pressed to see bad textures in close proximity to you
It's witcher 3. I am not lowering textures on a 2015 game lol

Braag

That said, the console ports were okay, barring Rage, which Carmack blamed on (drumroll) video card driver

Bruh, they were far from okay. Remember Dark Souls port?
Original RE4 port? DMC3 port?
Most of the ports from western studios were fine but almost every japanese studio port needed some mod or third party tool to work properly.

Chiggs

Bruh, they were far from okay. Remember Dark Souls port?
Original RE4 port? DMC3 port?
Most of the ports from western studios were fine but almost every japanese studio port needed some mod or third party tool to work properly.

Yes, I vividly remember the Dark Souls port. It had to be fixed by a poster on this forum named Durante. It was indeed terrible.

I can't deny that I probably played more Western titles during that timeframe than I did Japanese ones, since Japan lost its development crown during that gen.

Top Bottom