• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-98 Vibes; Possessioner and X: Girl...and the era of super atmospheric pixel art out of Japan

VGEsoterica

Sure I have absolutely ZERO IDEA what is going on contextually in these games because my knowledge of the Japanese language is zero...but I am just here for the vibes...and what giant vibes they are.

I remember forever ago finding some site that had tons of screenshots of PC-98 / X68000 / Towns era Japanese visual novel games in the sci fi / horror genres...and just being blown away by the detailed depictions of what was going on in game. Tons of chunky pixels, dithering everywhere and colorways that just popped off the screen and into my eye. So I figured...why not figure out a way to play them. So I bought a metric crap ton of random Japanese visual novel adventure games just to check them out.

Because why not! And to this day...even if I have zero idea what is actually going on, they are a joy to experience both for the visual vibe aspect as well as most of them having absolutely incredible soundtracks that you just want to listen to. Do a little google translate on your phone (don't do this...takes forever lol) and suddenly this giant world of Japanese VN games opens up. (fair warning...some of the games...probably best left in Japan content wise)

But I can't be the only one who is into games just for the vibes on GAF...or VNs in general, so what is your fav VN / favorite VN screenshot?

I'll start: this just screams VIBES

MsGDYhp.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love the style, but never played any of those. In fact, Snatcher on the SEGA CD might be the closest thing.

Reactions: Isa

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Try the English translation of “Dead of the Brain”…if you like Snatcher you’d probably be into it…and it’s in English!
Thanks! Will look into getting it.

It'd be awesome if I could emulate those games on a Wii, since I have mine plugged to a CRT and the Wiimote might be perfect as a mouse input.

Top Bottom