• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile 2 is no longer an expansion to Path of Exile 1. They will be standalone games with separate game balance, systems and future expansions.

amigastar

I will try to forget PoE2 until next year. The release is just too far away.
June 2024? It hurts
it-hurts-pain.gif

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They must be doing really well to justify maintaining two similar platforms side by side.

Looks like a win for PoE fans though, these GaaS games chronically kill their old content but not in this case. You’ll get something fully differentiated now but without losing legacy PoE.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Damn. So the stash tabs I bought in PoE will carry over to PoE2?

Are these the only devs who make good f2p games? I didn’t even need the tabs and just bought them to throw the devs a few bucks

Shubh_C63

They even said they will keep releasing content for both expecting hardcore fans to move between games when they get bored with the new one.

Hope they can maintain the content but god damn how can one not be impressed with this developer. True trusted veterans now. I'm in.

SCB3

They must be doing really well to justify maintaining two similar platforms side by side.

Looks like a win for PoE fans though, these GaaS games chronically kill their old content but not in this case. You’ll get something fully differentiated now but without losing legacy PoE.
You what gets me, Destiny (rightly I may add) gets slated for vaulting older content but other games don't, is it just because you technically can play the older stuff even if no one does?

Also I may check this out again, I remember playing the original on release when it was more a beta and really enjoyed it but never went back after a month or so

404games

Banned
i know non-devs are gonna think this is a bad idea
(i.e. just make one unified codebase so you cut the work in half)

but as a SWE I'll tell you its so much easier to maintain
separate code bases & tools for separate games from a management perspective

one might think maintaining
1M Lines of code > 2M Lines of code
but the truth is
maintaining
2M Lines of Specific code >> 1M of "generalized" code with caveats everywhere

probably easy to churn out new content with PoE 1 with the tools they created specifically for that game
and they built new or refined tools for PoE 2 that work different

Fwiw I found this really cool (about how they generate so much content on PoE1)
from years ago

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You what gets me, Destiny (rightly I may add) gets slated for vaulting older content but other games don't, is it just because you technically can play the older stuff even if no one does?
I was mainly referring to Destiny 2 tbh. Really questionable practices to cut out the core story of your game because you can't figure out how to integrate it into your ongoing service after only a few years.

It does happen in other games too, but it usually takes a long time. In something like WoW, eventually the legacy content couldn't be experienced in the same way at all due to power creep, streamlining, mechanics changes, etc., but they did create WoW Classic to address that.

Most of your microtransactions carrying over between PoE1 and 2 is quite the pro-consumer move, too. They know how to maintain good will with their community while still turning a big profit. Mutually beneficial relationships should be what you aim for in business.

Lillie

why do anything to separate the player base (granted i imagine only a small amount will be on 1) but still

gothmog

Gold Member

Or they don't understand yet just how hard it will be to actually maintain and set the right expectations around having two platforms side by side.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Or they don't understand yet just how hard it will be to actually maintain and set the right expectations around having two platforms side by side.
They should have all the numbers they need internally to make a reasonable determination of that.

geary

Damn. So the stash tabs I bought in PoE will carry over to PoE2?

Are these the only devs who make good f2p games? I didn’t even need the tabs and just bought them to throw the devs a few bucks
Yes, all microtransactions carry to the new game.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They actually use the same underlying code base; and some elements, like enemies from PoE2 (the stone golems from the Crucible league was used as an example), have already been ported (and used) in PoE1. They are branching from their "main" code base creating two game code bases PoE1/PoE2 then merge system work from the Main Code branch into the two separate game branches. This way they can work on overall engine systems for both games and keep game specific systems in their own Game Branch. They can then share any new game specific systems (like a league mechanic for example) back to the main branch and pull it into either game branch.

The main character animation rig and animations from PoE2 will not transfer to PoE 1 (at this time) but many of the other systems will (and have).
All MTX that you have purchased can be used in both games ****caveat**** here, if you buy an MTX in PoE2 that is for a character type not present in PoE1 (say...like the druid) those cosmetic MTX will not be usable in PoE1.

They want to release staggered leagues in both PoE games to keep their player base engaged. 13 weeks(ish) per league....so they release a PoE2 league and then 8 weeks into that league release a new PoE1 league...then 8 weeks into that league release a new PoE2 league...etc etc.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

why do anything to separate the player base (granted i imagine only a small amount will be on 1) but still
Honestly I think what people are missing in this thread is that PoE2 is going to appeal to way more players that have no interest in the original PoE. PoE2 still looks very complex, but they’ve streamlined a few things and it has graphics that are on par or exceed Diablo 4’s. I know my friend group is very interested in it after having played Diablo 4 and they have no interest in PoE.

Moneal

The problem I really have with this is that the original idea was that PoE2 was going to fix major problems that PoE had. Things such as Skill gem slot pressure and stiff old animations. So yeah those aren't an issue in PoE2. They will continue to be in PoE.

Kenpachii

How is a number 2 a expansion lol.

I hope path of exile 2 drops the overly complex garbage 1 has become. And become more understandable like it was back in the day.

404games

Banned
for those worried about breaking up the player base, have you considered...
the tech they built PoE1 on will be 10 years old (game released in 2013)
(and it can be assumed that it was built to run on computers graphics cards that are a decade old)

Just randomly watched ExileCon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE3MAFGDzWw
(about at 1:50 in)

the main graphics programmer
has a state of the art Global Illumination solution that's going into PoE2 but didn't want to risk
porting it back to PoE 1...

the assumptions about texture resolution also plays into this decision because things like GI are hugely intensive.

I liken it to keeping traditional WoW servers online and building a new WoW based on current gen hardware

some traditionalists will like the old game (warts and all)
some new folks want a new experience, seems like best of both worlds really

NT80

I thought this was known for quite some time. Didn't they say something along these lines during the first reveal videos?

Lillie

Honestly I think what people are missing in this thread is that PoE2 is going to appeal to way more players that have no interest in the original PoE. PoE2 still looks very complex, but they’ve streamlined a few things and it has graphics that are on par or exceed Diablo 4’s. I know my friend group is very interested in it after having played Diablo 4 and they have no interest in PoE.
see the thing is your friend group was interested in poe2 before they said it would be separated from 1

Doomtrain

People are actually upset that 2 will be a totally separate game? I’m surprised, given how Overwatch 2 replacing Overwatch 1 panned out. I’ll admit I’ve only played PoE casually, but I’m personally way more excited for this to be a full, standalone sequel.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Closed beta mid-2024?

Sorry, PoE. I can't wake up on that beach again with yet another character. I just can't. Not for another 18 months.

How does PoE play on console?
The controls are not good enough, but manageable. I’m hoping and praying that they hired someone who knows how to optimize for console controls with PoE 2. That’s literally the only thing holding it back from being a serious contender for ARPG on console too.

Moneal

People are actually upset that 2 will be a totally separate game? I’m surprised, given how Overwatch 2 replacing Overwatch 1 panned out. I’ll admit I’ve only played PoE casually, but I’m personally way more excited for this to be a full, standalone sequel.
The biggest issue I have with it is that they pushed PoE2 as a way to fix certain problems with PoE. Things like old animations and art as well as gem slots pressure in gear. It seems none of that is getting fixed for PoE now.

GreyHand23

see the thing is your friend group was interested in poe2 before they said it would be separated from 1
No, they weren’t. I shared the trailer from Exilecon and they thought it looked really cool. They don’t really know much more about the game except what’s in the trailer and the little snippets I’ve shared from the conference.

Top Bottom