• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris: Car drives into pizzeria, 1 dead [Authorities: Deliberate, but not terrorism]

Just breaking on Twitter from multiple sources

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/897186875903008768

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/897187219261325313

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40930898

A car has crashed into a pizzeria in a village east of the French capital Paris, killing a girl of eight and injuring five other people.

The driver of the BMW was arrested after the vehicle hit the terrace of the cafe in Sept-Sorts, near La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, French media say.

According to RTL radio, the driver, 39, told police he had wanted to kill himself and had weapons in the car.

However, the incident is not being treated as a terror attack, it adds.

France and a number of other countries have seen deadly vehicle attacks on civilians, notably in the French city of Nice on Bastille Day 2016 when 84 people were killed.

The driver appears to have had no previous criminal record, RTL says.

Moostachio

Neo Member
Goddammit another one. What the hell is with people all of a sudden using cars as weapons?

EDIT: Just read that it's a girl that's died. Disgusting.

Goddammit another one. What the hell is with people all of a sudden using cars as weapons?

EDIT: Just read that it's a girl that's died. Disgusting.

Pretty much impossible to police some lunatic driving along and then all of a sudden plowing into a bunch of people. Every time since the first occurrence has been a 'me too' act.

they do a bunch of damage and are easy to obtain

self driving car future cant come fast enough

Couldn't these be weaponized in some capacity as well though? Something to the effect of how cars were manipulated in the most recent
Fast & Furious
film? Granted, I can't recall if those were self-drive cars (I think the nav systems were high-jacked or some shit) or not.

Edit: Yeah, I know, it was a scenario in a fictitious movie, but still.

robotrock

Banned
Couldn't these be weaponized in some capacity as well though? Something to the effect of how cars were manipulated in the most recent
Fast & Furious
film? Granted, I can't recall if those were self-drive cars (I think the nav systems were high-jacked or some shit) or not.

Edit: Yeah, I know, it was a scenario in a fictitious movie, but still.

dude

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Fast & Furious

depends on how far our self driving future goes i am in hopes of a full revamp of our road infrastructure and how self driving cars are handled hope no manual driving what so ever just input destination and its off

Regiruler

Is there anti-Italian sentiment in France? (it could be an entirely French establishment but that would make it even weirder). This doesn't seem likely to be a terrorist act to me.
depends on how far our self driving future goes i am in hopes of a full revamp of our road infrastructure and how self driving cars are handled hope no manual driving what so ever just input destination and its off

But then there's no more exploring.

Is there anti-Italian sentiment in France? (it could be an entirely French establishment but that would make it even weirder). This doesn't seem likely to be a terrorist act to me.

There's not.

This is probably a terrorist attack, is my cqll from the reports
R.i.p to that little girl :(.

A car has crashed into a pizzeria in a village east of the French capital Paris, killing a girl of eight and injuring five other people.

The driver of the BMW was arrested after the vehicle hit the terrace of the cafe in Sept-Sorts, near La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, French media say.

According to RTL radio, the driver, 39, told police he had wanted to kill himself and had weapons in the car.

However, the incident is not being treated as a terror attack, it adds.

France and a number of other countries have seen deadly vehicle attacks on civilians, notably in the French city of Nice on Bastille Day 2016 when 84 people were killed.

The driver appears to have had no previous criminal record, RTL says.

via BBC

chugen

Sept-Sorts is really little with like 450 people. thats a weird choice for a terrorist

rip to that little girl

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

i mean the deaths alone from drunk driving and shit like in this story alone would be worth it to prevent
but do you mean urban exploration or more like out in the middle of no where if its the latter i am sure there would still be manual vehicles you could use out there

This looks like a high-speed crash and the restaurant is on a side street:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...x6280157382bed012!8m2!3d48.9452607!4d3.110578

I don't really see how this could be accidental.

DHN0QCwWsAEZojY.jpg:large

DHNtYCfXoAE2Fdq.jpg

Xe4

Banned
Sounds like someone who's actually mentally ill. Doesn't make his actions much better. Get help. Don't try to kill yourself, and especially don't try to in a way that's going to hurt others.

He's certainly going to jail, but I hope he also gets mental health help, because he needs it.

RIP that girl. Nobody deserves that, especially an eight year old.

How much can you be a scumbag to want to bring people with you in your suicidal attempt. I was thinking about death penalty for this guy, but he probably don't care since he want to kill himself in the first place.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Motherfucker just hang yourself or something if you want to end your life so badly.

Reminds of me that suicidal airline pilot from a few years back that figured, "Hey, I wanna end my life -- might as well take a few hundred people with me too."

Christ.

mrkgoo

Ah man, a little girl :(

Suicide sucks in all its forms, but there's gotta be a better way than to make a big bang out of it.

Kinyou

This seems like a very odd suicide attempt. Driving into a restaurant isn't going to be very dangerous for the driver.

Breakage

Why would you drive into a restaurant full people if you wanted to kill yourself in a car? Surely a solid wall or a large body of water would be better option.

mrkgoo

This seems like a very odd suicide attempt. Driving into a restaurant isn't going to be very dangerous for the driver.

This is true too. But the mental state of a suicidal person is not in the best place. Probably a very similar thought process in wanting to lash out at the world in the vein of public shootings or whatever. I dunno.

Despera

Banned
Reminds of me that suicidal airline pilot from a few years back that figured, "Hey, I wanna end my life -- might as well take a few hundred people with me too."

Christ.
Germanwings Flight 9525 from 2 years ago.

The co-pilot locked out the captain from the cockpit and set the plane course toward the mountains. The door to the cockpit was modified so no one could break in, a post 9/11 adjustment.

After 9/11, changes were made to the security of cockpits in an effort to make hijackings more difficult. According to the US Federal Aviation Administration, doors should typically be tough enough to withstand a grenade blast. They are usually left locked throughout the flight.
Cockpit security systems are supposed to allow a pilot the ability to access the cockpit. But access can be deliberately denied from within the cockpit.
Cockpit doors on an Airbus - according to this video understood to have been produced by the company - have three modes that are operated from the pilots' seats: unlock, normal, lock.
In the event of whoever is in the cockpit being incapacitated there is a touchpad that will allow cabin crew who know the code to enter.

In "normal" mode the cockpit is locked but can be accessed - after a 30-second delay - by touchpad should the cabin crew get no response from inside.

"Unlocked" mode is what a pilot would use to open the door for a colleague returning from the toilet.

"Locked" means the locking mechanism ignores the touchpad entry code and remains locked for five minutes (it can be repeated). It's easy to see how this would be used to prevent hijackers who have managed to get hold of the code from cabin crew from entering the cockpit.

Dude was suffering from depression. The doctors he was seeing at the time advised him to take a break from his job, but he ignored that. They also didn't inform authorities or the airliner of his mental health condition due to doctor-patient confidentiality.

Basically a series of unfortunate circumstances that no one could have predicted would be so fatal :(

Top Bottom