• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario - what do you think of it?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm looking for opinions on the game. I have considered purchasing it, and would like to know what everyone here thinks of it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
great. pretty ammusing (though the second and M&L series is a bit funnier), and the battle system is interesting enough to not eem trite or complacent.

not the greatest RPG in the world but well above average IMHO.

Paper Mario 2 is better in all respects, but the first was certainly not shabby.

MrDaravon

borghe said:
great. pretty ammusing (though the second and M&L series is a bit funnier), and the battle system is interesting enough to not eem trite or complacent.

not the greatest RPG in the world but well above average IMHO.

Paper Mario 2 is better in all respects, but the first was certainly not shabby.

QFT. 2 is better, but 1 is still a very good game, so long as you can get 1 at any kind of reasonable price do it.

SantaC

Paper Mario 2 is an enjoyable RPG that is worth playing due to excellent presentation and music imo. I liked it a lot.

Skin

I loved it all the way through. Couldn't get into both Mario&Luigi and Paper Mario 2 though. Mario&Luigi was boring for me and Paper Mario 2 played way too much like a redone Paper Mario.

Are you asking about the N64 Paper Mario or the Gamecube one?

Somewhat related anecdote:

When EB started selling Paper Mario 2 for $20, I called one of my local EB stores to see if they had it in stock. The clerk told me the game wasn't out yet. I called bullshit. Apparently he had no idea that TTYD was the second Paper Mario game.

I never played the first one, but the second one was awesome! I love the battle system, and the game world is just is very charming. Also, its one of the funnier games that I have played. Definitely check it out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh, in that case buy it. PM2 is one of the best games released this gen. seriously. between a brilliant game system and equally brilliant writing the game is pretty much can't miss.

ghibli99

Paper Mario on the N64 was easily one of the best games on the system. It was one of the few games that I played all the way through to the end on the N64, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

What made it for me was the very creative and active battle system, which was a breath of fresh air for me in a time when I was used to just selecting commands in a menu to execute actions in RPGs. It made combat exciting, especially for boss battles, where a mistimed button press could spell doom for you and your party. On the flipside, executing a perfectly timed combo was an extremely rewarding and satisfying experience.

Although I haven't finished it, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on the GC does feel like a refreshed version of the N64 title, but they've thrown in a lot of new features, like the "audience interaction" stuff, which makes an already really fun battle system even more involved and interactive.

Neither game is heavy on story or emotion, but they're still entertaining, whimsical, and cute. I think you'll have a great time playing either game, although you may want to kill Luigi in the GC version after a while! :lol

The remixed Mario Bros. theme that plays in the first level of the GC title is one of my favorite songs. Great build-up and melodies. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Paper Mario is a wonderful, wonderful game. Paper Mario 2 smokes it in every way though, except for the following:

#1: The music is a little better in PM1

#2: FUCKING BACKTRACKING IN PAPER MARIO 2. it sometimes gets really annoying.

But anyways, Paper Mario 1 is an awesome RPG that you will want to come back to play again every year or so.

*listens to the Noko Noko Bros. (Koopa Bros.) theme*

:D

Tarazet

I loved it. Lots of memorable and funny moments, engaging battle system, great minigames. The backtracking got a little bit old, but it was never enough to turn me off from the game.

acidviper

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
#2: FUCKING BACKTRACKING IN PAPER MARIO 2. it sometimes gets really annoying.
:D
I second the backtracking.
The Peach Side Story in PM1 was also far superior.

Let us not forget that Super Mario RPG started the whole thing. SMRPG is far superior to PM2. PM1 is good, but not SMRPG good.

I definitely will be downloading SMRPG and PM1 for Revoluti0n virtual console. Is SMRPG a first party game or a 2nd party Square/Nintendo game, or 3rd party Square game with Nintendo's blessing?

No6

M&L:SS>>PM1>PM2

PM2 has a decent story and great humor, but as mentioned the backtracking really hurts it. I expect some people will whip out the "it's an RPG backtracking is normal" excuse, but PM2 really went beyond the norm for backtracking, especially considering how linear the game's "worlds" are. If the game had been more like the hub area I would be rating it higher, but having to walk 6 screens forward, only to have to go all the way back to get an item (which you couldn't get until you hit the dead end), then go back the 6 screens plus a couple past that, then backtrack 8 screens, then go forward the rest of the way, etc.

The entire game isn't like that (Arena World is great), but enough of it is that it brings the game down from "classic" status to a mere "very good, and worth playing".

Raiden

Banned
It was quite possible the most boring game i have purchased this gen. The game is just too simple even though thats one of its primary charms, god the battle-system is easily the most boring thing ever.
The levels look pretty and stylish but lacks an overall decent lay-out which makes it boring too run through.
I didnt like the humor at all, you have to play with tattle if you want to record every character in your book(and i hate Tattle), theres a couple of nice chapters though.

Also theres almost no point in level-upping at all.

Maybe i'll give it a second go cause i never really got myself to finishing the last parts of it.

GaimeGuy

acidviper said:
I second the backtracking.
The Peach Side Story in PM1 was also far superior.

Let us not forget that Super Mario RPG started the whole thing. SMRPG is far superior to PM2. PM1 is good, but not SMRPG good.

I definitely will be downloading SMRPG and PM1 for Revoluti0n virtual console. Is SMRPG a first party game or a 2nd party Square/Nintendo game, or 3rd party Square game with Nintendo's blessing?
I believe it's a pseudo 1st/2nd party effort, with most of the work being done by Square. It was published by Nintendo, though, and was the last Square game on a Nintendo system until 2003

Ark-AMN

Banned
I loved both Paper Mario's

While the second one did have a backtracking problem, I think it also had the better characters as well. I mean, how can you not laugh when talking to Luigi about his (made up) adventures then talking to the creature next to him? :lol

Then you have Lord Crump(aka. Five Eyes: "Uh, you think you know who I am, but you're wrong!") and Rawk Hawk. Damn, I think I should go play this again. :D

ziran

paper mario 2 is one of the best games this gen, on any console.

the paper mario series is brilliant and the best of the mario rpg games (m&l ss is great and so is smrpg, but they're not as good as the pm series).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I liked it. It's fairly lighthearted, but goofy in a fun way. There's a lot of little touches and content packed in the game. Nice to look at too.

The pacing is really off though. I think that makes the backtracking especially bothersome to people and some of the things you can see in the game aren't always worth the drag to get there to some. Still, I think it's charming. I don't think it sold very well and I've seen it on sale several times.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Paper Mario 2 has sold more than the original (last number I saw put it around 700,000 in NA alone). Which is great for a game that I didn't see much advertising for.

The Mario RPG's are very succesful (Mario & Luigi SS has sold nearly 1,000,000 here in NA I believe as well), and I wouldn't be suprised to see a Mario RPG on Revolution (I'd imagine Intelligent Systems is probably working on something like that now with Fire Emblem done).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
best gamecube RPG by far, awesome characters, great music, funny story (peah poster! :lol ) at $20 that's a good deal

Luckett_X

Banned
The visual style to Paper Mario is delicious, and was great to see that old cartoony Mario world again, oozing with style. The plot seemed pretty funny and engaging from how far I got with it...

...and I didn't get very far, because I found the gameplay to be mind numbingly awful. But thats because ever since Grandia, i found static turn based battles impossible to sit through without getting impatient and agitated. Much more when you're hitting for -1hp each time, making a battle last a set amount of time.

New Mario Bros. on DS certainly should have re-used the high res Paper Mario art assets, as opposed to the fairly uninspired level art presented currently.

So if you're a Mario nut and want a good story and can sit through shit gameplay, hit it up. If youre looking for something fun to actually 'play', avoid.

Kroole

It's my favorite RPG on the gamecube and I favor it in front of SMRPG, Superstar Saga and the original PM. The dialogue is fun, the audiance system is good and it was overall a very satisfying game.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Paper Mario 2 is the funniest game I ever played except for some lucas arts adventures. Also the best rpg this generation.

Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario 2 were both kind of neat, but I got bored with both before finishing. On the other hand, I'd say that SMRPG is one of the best RPGs on SNES.

As far as RPGs go, I feel it is much more amusing and well paced than the current crop. I absolutely hate dungeon crawlers and random battles. Paper Mario avoids all that with clever chapters and rewarding incentives (It's actually fun the PLAY). I would definitely recommend both. PM2 is little bit slower in the beginning but the humor and imaginative worlds more than make up for it. Plus the little Bowser and Peach sub-chapters are just hilarious.

awesome game, got till chapter 5 and then I bought like 4 new games so I stopped playing it

I hardly finish any games now so that's not an indicator :p .. the game was really fun though

GaimeGuy

Error2k4 said:
best gamecube RPG by far, awesome characters, great music, funny story (peah poster! :lol ) at $20 that's a good deal
Skies of Arcadia Legends would like to have a word with you. So would Tales of Symphonia.

GaimeGuy

Rawk Hawk SO should have been a party member.

I hope he's a party member in PM3.

Jiggy

I haven't picked up PM2 yet and won't until it goes Player's Choice (assuming it ever does), but the original was an above-average game with some decent puzzles, a good amount of characters, good music, and fun gameplay.
The only problem was that it really lacked replay value because of the slow walking speed and slow battles; the thing is, while a lot of other RPGs are just hackfests against really weak enemies and that sort of thing is an oversimplified system for most of the game, the one time it's nice is when you're late in the game and happen to be fighting enemies way below your level. In most RPGs, that would just mean you press A/Circle/whatever repeatedly and they go away quickly, but in PM you still have to time your attacks even though the experience reward will be basically nil.

daemonic

Banned
PM2 was my favourite Mario game this gen. I never played the original, but I hear it's just as good, if not better.

GaimeGuy said:
Skies of Arcadia Legends would like to have a word with you. So would Tales of Symphonia.

One thing is for sure. PM2 is far better than Baten Kaitos. (I like it better than the two you mentioned, as well, but all three are excellent RPGs.

I'm to to the last star in paper mario. I hadn't played it in a long time, but I broke it out yesterday to try to finish it.

Striek

PM2 is great fun for awhile. I'm about 1/2 way through it, stopped playing it awhile ago and can't seem to go back though :/ I want to, but I just don't have the patience (the battle system is a tad slow). PM1 was great too.

bionic77

The Mario rpg series have some of the best rpg gameplay ever. Square could really learn something from Nintendo in this case. On the other hand, the story for these games usually sucks. Guess you can't have it all (unless the game is Fire Emblem).

Top Bottom