• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Freeman Luckey is trying to do virtual wall tech for the pentagon

Absinthe

Nobody is fucking saying that, and you have a lot of balls to be so sarcastic as to post the fucking Wikipedia article for 'Border'.

Saying "Protect from what?" when discussing border protection is a very intentionally ignorant comment or maybe he really doesn't know what border protection means but I appreciate you coming to his rescue...

Well, yeah, they kinda get in the way of the right of free association.

Well, certainly not without their permission, last time we did it that way which was pretty mean and costly.

How's that? Last I checked any citizen can freely travel back and forth between both Mexico and Canada and the US with the proper documentation. Also, yeah, I doubt Mexico would be too keen on becoming a state.

I'm going to, for the sake of discussion, assume you actually want to talk about this.

Do you know why something like this bothers people? Out of curiosity and as a fun exercise for a discussion, it would be really cool if in your own words, you could try to as sincerely as possible describing what you think the reason for the 'outrage' would be in this specific case.

I'll take you up on this.

Luckey backs financially Nimble America, which is used to post anti-Hillary memes etc. He backs the GOP and Trump (although he never really admits to this, cops out and says he'll be voting for Gary Johnson)

We all know the platform Trump ran on, racist, xenophobic, horrible, despicable blah blah. I can see why some people (the entire left) would be upset at Luckey, the VR hero who had founded Oculus and sold it to Facebook for 2 billi (American Dream yay 🇺🇲)

To answer your question, what is the reason for the outrage? Basically (from my pov) it's fuck Luckey because he supports the GOP and Trump who ran on this awful platform (who btw won the presidency, the most disastrous candidate on Earth, I can care more about the 3 million more votes Clinton got, she lost. Period)

His new startup is backed by Peter Thiel (according to the left another bad guy) and it's aim is to provide better border security (but who needs that because screw US borders right?)

Kinitari, I appreciate tryna engage with me. Thanks, but no matter what I post, I'll be a pos, a snowflake, this or that. I'm not complaining, or bitching or moping. I'll take the heat, but I'm not changing my views or how I feel about certain things when it comes to politics and the landscape we find ourselves.

Conversely I would like to express myself without being worried of being run off​ the forum or thread. Be respectful, and we'll all be good.

@Ninja Scooter, was good bro? You stay coming at me bro, I dig it tho, I dig it. Nice to know I get you all hot and bothered.

One last thing I wanna say. We gotta come together, we gotta be able to talk. I'm not the Boogeyman here lol. This all or nothing attitude didn't work for the GOP when Obama was in office and it isn't gonna work for the left with Trump in office.

Ok cue the insults.

I'll start, "Goose, you fucking ❄️"

Saying "Protect from what?" when discussing border protection is a very intentionally ignorant comment or maybe he really doesn't know what border protection means but I appreciate you coming to his rescue...

I'm coming to no-one's rescue. I'm directly confronting you as to the content and context of your post. And you have chosen to give me a non-answer.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why do you keep saying "according to the left" when you can read yourself about these people and who they associate with.

Absinthe

I'm coming to no-one's rescue. I'm directly confronting you as to the content and context of your post. And you have chosen to give me a non-answer.

Okay. My response was directed at what I saw as his intentionally ignorant post.

What answer were you looking for? I didn't see a question in:
"Nobody is fucking saying that, and you have a lot of balls to be so sarcastic as to post the fucking Wikipedia article for 'Border'."

Jebusman

Banned

I mean the "Protect from what" is more of a gotcha of trying to make you admit you just don't want brown people coming into America.

Also, if you actually went to the source of those CBP numbers, you'd notice that Nov 2016 was an unusually high number, likely due to the election season, and that April 2017 has been the lowest in at least 5 years, maybe more (no stats showing that far back).

Also note those numbers are not simply just arrests, this also includes those seeking lawful admission but turned back.

Me quoting the source's mission statement was more to point out the inherent bias in the information they were presenting, as without context it "sounds" bad, even if it's the status quo or potentially better than usual.

Okay. My response was directed at what I saw as his intentionally ignorant post.

What answer were you looking for? I didn't see a question in:
"Nobody is fucking saying that, and you have a lot of balls to be so sarcastic as to post the fucking Wikipedia article for 'Border'."

Ok, let's try it like this. Who said they wanted to make Mexico a new state? And why are you providing the most threadbare links as support for your statement?

Ihyll

Luckey backs financially Nimble America, which is used to post anti-Hillary memes etc. He backs the GOP and Trump (although he never really admits to this, cops out and says he'll be voting for Gary Johnson)

We all know the platform Trump ran on, racist, xenophobic, horrible, despicable blah blah. I can see why some people (the entire left) would be upset at Luckey, the VR hero who had founded Oculus and sold it to Facebook for 2 billi (American Dream yay 🇺🇲)

To answer your question, what is the reason for the outrage? Basically (from my pov) it's fuck Luckey because he supports the GOP and Trump who ran on this awful platform (who btw won the presidency, the most disastrous candidate on Earth, I can care more about the 3 million more votes Clinton got, she lost. Period)

His new startup is backed by Peter Thiel (according to the left another bad guy) and it's aim is to provide better border security (but who needs that because screw US borders right?)

Kinitari, I appreciate tryna engage with me. Thanks, but no matter what I post, I'll be a pos, a snowflake, this or that. I'm not complaining, or bitching or moping. I'll take the heat, but I'm not changing my views or how I feel about certain things when it comes to politics and the landscape we find ourselves.

Conversely I would like to express myself without being worried of being run of the forum or thread. Be respectful, and we'll all be good.

@Ninja Scooter, was good bro? You stay coming at me bro, I dig it tho, I dig it. Nice to know I get you all hot and bothered.

One last thing I wanna say. We gotta come together, we gotta be able to talk. I'm not the Boogeyman here lol. This all or nothing attitude didn't work for the GOP when Obama was in office and it isn't gonna work for the left with Trump in office.

Ok cue the insults.

Peter Thiel supports apartheid...I think that very much makes him a bad guy.

Ponn

Banned
Sure, let me Google that for you.

~1,574 per day in November 2016:

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/1574-day-border-officials-struggle-under-increasing-wave-illegal-migration

Or 47,214 for the month.

The "Trump Wall", if that's what you're referring to, is a stupid idea and would be fiscally irresponsible. Not sure how you made that leap.

I question your source as it's one of those conservative funded ones but regardless ok fine. My issue with the focus on this is the effects of it are always vague and the answer of how "building a wall" will actually fix those issues is even vaguer. Especially one shown that cannot cover the border and gets smaller by the week.

You know what's really aggravating to me though is how tax payer money is being funneled to this giant fucking campaign scam while more important programs get cut and others continue to be under funded. And I'm talking about bi-partisan ones, ones conservatives love to claim they support but always gets ignored by both parties like veterans but more unashamedly by GOP who use the shit out the VA during campaigns but continue to fuck them over.

Here's a number for you, 20. 20 veterans a day commit suicide. It's a smaller number than yours but its quantifiable and the results are obvious. The ways to help are also readily available and would cost much less than a fucking wall. The biggest help to them is canines for warriors, a program completely publicly funded which is both heartening but also so goddamn shameful on our government.

How about we help them before building a wall like Germany just because your afraid of brown people.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Person supports person that got into office with a racist platform.

3rd person doesn't understand why everyone else that doesn't like racism has a problem with these people.

The guy who ushered in the resurrection of one of my favorite things on Earth (VR) has revealed himself to be a demon and is working with Satan and his henchmen.

This is an odd feeling.

Dyle

Palmer will probably manage to continue failing upwards, looking forward to hearing about his employees stealing trade secrets from their former employers. Who will it be this time? ADT? Northrop Gruman?

Jebusman

Banned
One last thing I wanna say. We gotta come together, we gotta be able to talk.
Your posts have been nothing but complaining about how the left views things and trying to preempt any insults thinking that somehow puts you above them.

Your definition of come together means stop being mean to me and do it my way.

No thank you.

Absinthe

I mean the "Protect from what" is more of a gotcha of trying to make you admit you just don't want brown people coming into America.

Also, if you actually went to the source of those CBP numbers, you'd notice that Nov 2016 was an unusually high number, likely due to the election season, and that April 2017 has been the lowest in at least 5 years, maybe more (no stats showing that far back).

Also note those numbers are not simply just arrests, this also includes those seeking lawful admission but turned back.

Me quoting the source's mission statement was more to point out the inherent bias in the information they were presenting, as without context it "sounds" bad, even if it's the status quo or potentially better than usual.

Well it does seem the numbers are going down. With Trump in office the US has lost some of it's luster.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/trump-immigration-border.html

Pointing out their bias just pulls away from the actual conversation don't you think? If the border patrol says the numbers are real then I trust they're giving us accurate information. Sure maybe they're lying but I have no proof of that.

Ok, let's try it like this. Who said they wanted to make Mexico a new state? And why are you providing the most threadbare links as support for your statement?

I was replying to Rayis' comment on "saving those people from Misery" asking him if they need saving then what is the solution. Obviously the US is not going to incorporate Mexico.

Also, I don't see how my links are threadbare. The wiki I posted earlier about Border was intentional, not to prove a point, because of the ignorant question he asked.

I question your source as it's one of those conservative funded ones but regardless ok fine. My issue with the focus on this is the effects of it are always vague and the answer of how "building a wall" will actually fix those issues is even vaguer. Especially one shown that cannot cover the border and gets smaller by the week.

You know what's really aggravating to me though is how tax payer money is being funneled to this giant fucking campaign scam while more important programs get cut and others continue to be under funded. And I'm talking about bi-partisan ones, ones conservatives love to claim they support but always gets ignored by both parties like veterans but more unashamedly by GOP who use the shit out the VA during campaigns but continue to fuck them over.

Here's a number for you, 20. 20 veterans a day commit suicide. It's a smaller number than yours but its quantifiable and the results are obvious. The ways to help are also readily available and would cost much less than a fucking wall. The biggest help to them is canines for warriors, a program completely publicly funded which is both heartening but also so goddamn shameful on our government.

How about we help them before building a wall like Germany just because your afraid of brown people.

I'm 100% with you. Taking money from the people who protected this country and fought for the freedoms we currently live under is abhorrent. And I do not support building a wall, in fact it would probably cause major issues for the next few generations who inherit that debt, my children included.

I am still supportive of border protection though. If there is some technology that will make that more affordable, or better than what they currently have and some independent company wants to throw money at it then who am I to say no.

theWB27

Conversely I would like to express myself without being worried of being run off​ the forum or thread. Be respectful, and we'll all be good.

Ok cue the insults.

Here's my question. How can you welcome someone to have a conversation with you when the whole time you'll cover your ears? That's an argument.

Also...why do you support controversial views, support controversial people and expect people to be cordial with you?

The fact you say she lost period means you don't care to see any other circumstances that led to that win...further cementing the fact you don't really care to see any other viewpoint.

Trojita

Past Eight Years
Republicans: We aren't working with the President on anything no matter what. We are going to fail to try to make him a 1 term president.

Present Day
Democrats: These bills and orders the current President is trying to pass through are bad for America, the American people, and our stature as a 1st world nation of the world.

It's the exact same guys.

Good. Luckey should do what makes him happy, be open about it and not ashamed to support whatever he supports.

The far left is at it again. Doesn't know how to have a conversation and get along. Very adversarial and contentious. Luckey is free to support who he wants. He can get called out for it sure, I can get called out for it sure. My right begin where every other posters end.

But I know what this forum is and where I find myself. It really is as bastion for the left. Some poster just said I could go fuck myself lol. How foolish of he/she.

This new start up sounds great, Thiel is investing in it and hopefully it really takes off. It's a shame for Palmer really. The perpetually offended and outrage brigade ran him off of Facebook.
SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

Do you read what you write, saying we're free to criticize him and you and then getting uppity when someone tells you to f off for supporting a piece of trash who works for a piece of trash.

Rayis

How's that? Last I checked any citizen can freely travel back and forth between both Mexico and Canada and the US with the proper documentation. Also, yeah, I doubt Mexico would be too keen on becoming a state.

Is not any citizen, some people are literally unable to obtain proper documentation to not just move to, but also visit a foreign country due to the prohibitive costs and requirements that they're unable to fulfill, is only those who have the means to do it, leaving those like the people fleeing Central America and the Caribbean to resort to extreme measures to immigrate to a safer, wealthier country.

Absinthe

Is not any citizen, some people are literally unable to obtain proper documentation to not just move to, but also visit a foreign country due to the prohibitive costs and requirements that they're unable to fulfill, is only those who have the means to do it, leaving those like the people fleeing Central America and the Caribbean to resort to extreme measures to immigrate to a safer, wealthier country.

Yeah, I hear that. There needs to be some sort of process to determine a good balance though. It's easy to look at on the surface and say well people need help so we should help, especially considering how good everyone in the US has it vs a large majority of the world, the devil is in the details though.

How to you facilitate the number of people who "need" more help and ones who don't "need" as much?

benjipwns

Banned
What's wrong with respecting everyone's freedom of association and movement unless or until they infringe on the rights of another individual?

Anticol

Banned
And that pic shows exacty how the white supremacists, alt-righters and racists look in this day and age, a bunch of "adults" with the body of a baby who feel threaten by people who dont look like a fkn middle step between a normal person and wall-e's humans.

Trojita

What's wrong with respecting everyone's freedom of association and movement unless or until they infringe on the rights of another individual?

Trump pushes agendas and orders that infringe on individuals and freedom.
Palmer associates with him

So you are saying it is okay not to respect their freedom of association and movement?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Dude you can't simultaneously thank someone for engaging and then say "there's no point trying to engage because I will never change my mind"

You literally started your appeal for respect by calling people who disagreed with you on this "the far left", seguing into calling them "the outrage brigade", after calling this place a "bastion for the left". Do you think that came from a place of respect? Do you think you were "tryna engage" with them?

(I also still haven't gotten a report about the guy that insulted you -- I'm more than happy to help make GAF a safe space for you by enforcing our rules and banning the person who hurt you, because I actually do believe that respect is important when you're trying to have a conversation with people.)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
'm more than happy to help make GAF a safe space for you by enforcing our rules and banning the person who hurt you, because I actually do believe that respect is important when you're trying to have a conversation with people.)

If you believe this, why wait for someone to report it? Why not act now?

Dude you can't simultaneously thank someone for engaging and then say "there's no point trying to engage because I will never change my mind"

You literally started your appeal for respect by calling people who disagreed with you on this "the far left", seguing into calling them "the outrage brigade", after calling this place a "bastion for the left". Do you think that came from a place of respect? Do you think you were "tryna engage" with them?

(I also still haven't gotten a report about the guy that insulted you -- I'm more than happy to help make GAF a safe space for you by enforcing our rules and banning the person who hurt you, because I actually do believe that respect is important when you're trying to have a conversation with people.)

I'm not trying to get anyone banned, that's not a "win" for me. It's not what I'm after. And your right, my quips didn't come from a place of respect of frustration tbh. And yes I'm not changing my mind on certain "things" these nebulous things which I haven't even listed and already I'm being pigeonholed because I support Lucky's new startup and hope it's successful.

I'm an outlier here I know that. Not playing the victim at all. Let it be known that yes I support the GOP when it comes to certain areas I feel passionate about.

I don't want to engage in conversation where people are allowed to tell each other to fuck off.

I absolutely hear you and know where you're coming from. It's about the principle and I get it. But I'm not tryna get anyone banned here. What do I get outta that? Nothing. Also I don't like this idea of running off to a mod and complaining because someone swore and was offensive and broke the ToS. Mods do the best they can to the best of their abilities.

I don't want to engage in conversation where people are allowed to tell each other to fuck off.

Stump has said he still does not have a report.

Anyway, idk why you're shocked that people will get extremely upset when they see others champion causes or people that are inhuman, potentially racist, and are devoid of morals. Especially in the name of "protection" and dangerous nationalism/xenophobia.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm not trying to get anyone banned, that's not a "win" for me. It's not what I'm after. And your right, my quips didn't come from a place of respect of frustration tbh. And yes I'm not changing my mind on certain "things" these nebulous things which I haven't even listed and already I'm being pigeonholed because I support Lucky's new startup and hope it's successful.

I'm an outlier here I know that. Not playing the victim at all. Let it be known that yes I support the GOP when it comes to certain areas I feel passionate about.
You could elaborate actually on what positions you agree on to actually have a conversation or you could keep it vague and keep saying you are being pigeonholed by GAF.

Also I don't like this idea of running off to a mod and complaining because someone swore and was offensive and broke the ToS. Mods do the best they can to the best of their abilities.
complaining to the mods is literally how they enforce the ToS though, they're not just sitting around and obsessively reading every post to spot infractions.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have you PM'd the mod yet? Or are you just gonna sit around and complain?

There's a mod here, they've seen the posts and know it breaks policy. If they specifically need someone to PM before they act, that's a lot of extra work.

Stump has said he still does not have a report.

Anyway, idk why you're shocked that people will get extremely upset when they see others champion causes or people that are inhuman, potentially racist, and are devoid of morals. Especially in the name of "protection" and dangerous nationalism/xenophobia.

Where did I say I was shocked?

theWB27

I didn't join GAF to lurk. A big appeal to this community is the civil discussion​ policies.

See how you're discussing with me and I'm not cursing at you? See how you didn't talk to that other person who said what you didn't like?

You're not lurking...you're engaged in a civil discussion. But at this point you're fishing for something with some stretch logic. Gaf is a big place with allot of different people..just like in real life you'll get human reaction to people and you have the choice to not deal with it.

Right now I think you're trying to get someone banned. Stump said to PM. Do that.

And you've put more work into concern modding than what it would've taken to PM them before making a single post in this thread.

The guy who ushered in the resurrection of one of my favorite things on Earth (VR) has revealed himself to be a demon and is working with Satan and his henchmen.

This is an odd feeling.

Possibly he was driven to invent VR because no real spaces were safe enough for his politics.

tuxfool

Banned

This is an odd feeling.

If it makes you feel better, Valve actually was working on VR in secret at the same time.

Top Bottom