• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistan's biggest child sex abuse scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long-standing tragedy in Pakistan is sexual abuse of children in Pakistan, and it seems a new scandal has emerged. This one is the biggest yet. 400 (!) video recordings have been discovered.

Child sex abuse scandal: "Pakistan is failing its children": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uCWWkzhQg

Pakistan victim recalls sex abuse ordeal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5BcFDj2j98

36865c3da17a4d568642d7f4c473be4e-9e250f95c03943d580cdc651fe5101cd-1.jpg

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/...iggest-child-sex-scandal-150809102142589.html

Officials in the Pakistani state of Punjab have called for a federal inquiry into what it called the largest-ever child abuse case in the South Asian country's history involving nearly 300 children.

The government of Punjab state on Sunday ordered a judicial investigation into the case that came to light last week after discovery of about 400 video recordings of more than 280 children being forced to have sex.

"Those involved in the case will be severely punished. They will not be able to escape their fate. The affected families will be provided with justice at any cost," Chief Minister of Punjab Shahbaz Sharif was quoted as saying by Dawn newspaper website.

So far seven people have been reportedly arrested by the police over the case that has shocked the nation of 180 million.

Most of the victims were under 14, including a six-year-old boy, Rai Babar Saeed, district police chief of Kasur, where the incident happened, told reporters, adding that a 10-year-old schoolgirl was filmed being molested by a 14-year-old boy.

Videos of these assaults were filmed and thousands of copies are believed to have been sold in Hussain Khanwala village in Kasur district, the police said.​

Pakistan's court system is terrible along with the police force being bribed, some of the reasons why this has gone on for so long. Perpretrators likely have power and influence by working for the courts or as drug inspectors and victims are told to shut up or they'll be blackmailed. Yes, victims will be blackmailed, not the attackers.

Villagers told Reuters that a prominent family there has for years forced children to perform sex acts on video. The footage was sold or used to blackmail their impoverished families, they said.

Rubina Bibi says her 13-year-old son was a victim, but when she tried to file a report at the Ganda Singh Wala police station a month and a half ago, "the police station clerk told me to get lost, and I was thrown out."

“My son is in the videos, he is a victim,” she said. “Our children were forced into this. They were humiliated. But the police are treating them like criminals

Another mother, Shakila Bibi, added: “I went to the police station to file a complaint, but instead of registering a report, they took my son into custody.”

Her 15-year-old son is still in jail, she said.​

Suraiya Bibi said that when she complained to police, her family was threatened by the abusers

“One day some women in the village showed me these videos. My son was in them. My world collapsed,” she said.

“Kids were being intimidated in these videos with weapons, they were drugged. Kids as young as five years old were made to perform oral sex.”

In one clip seen by Reuters, a boy cowers and cries before putting his hands over the camera lens. In another, a groggy boy is beaten and abused as a man tells him, “I will not stop until you smile.”

Three 15-year-old boys told Reuters they were abused for several years. Two said they was threatened with weapons that included knife, an ax and a gun.

One 18-year-old told Reuters he had been abused since he was 10. He stole cash and jewelry from his family after his abusers blackmailed him, he said.

“I was going to school one day when these boys picked me up and beat me up badly. Then they drugged me, and when I woke up, they showed me these videos they had made of me,” he said.

“They told me that they would bury me alive if I told anyone. I thought about killing myself every single day.”

What's clear is lots of progress needs to be made for justice to occur. Witness protection, victim support groups, independent investigations and trials, police reform by being closely monitored for corruption, and obviously education in vulnerable areas.

If you're interested, there was a brilliant documentary called "Pakistan's Hidden Shame" (Channel 4) that covered this in detail and focused on truck/bus station stops.

Pakistan_s_Hidden_Shame.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NB2Xz5yyA

Azih

This... god dammit.. this is what happens when corruption permeates every part of a society. There is no law and order in the country. It's just completely and totally sickening.

cirrhosis

Sick and depressing shit.

That's quite an abuse racket. I hope that some sort of progress and justice for these kids can come out of such a disgusting and terrible situation.

orochi91

Oh man, I was always under the impression this kind of stuff was common in neighboring countries like Afghanistan, especially acts of boy-fucking.

But this is taking place in the biggest/wealthiest province of Pakistan :O

Retsudo

I'll never in my life understand how someone thinks abusing children is something that you want/should do. Pedophiles and everyone that protects them should suffer through hell on earth, before being sent out of a cannon into the sun.

Azih

The important line here is Villagers told Reuters that a prominent family there has for years forced children to perform sex acts on video

It's a fucking feudal society. Land holders can do whatever the fuck they want.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't know what to say. This is just too awful. What is even more depressing is that justice probably won't be served.

Aurongel

It's amazing how many rich pedophiles are essentially untouchable in this world. This story comes a couple of months after news broke about something similar in Britain that led to... Absolutely nothing.

The important line here is Villagers told Reuters that a prominent family there has for years forced children to perform sex acts on video

It's a fucking feudal society. Land holders can do whatever the fuck they want.

Yup, the feudal system is deplorable as Tahira the humans rights activist explains in the first video.

I'll never in my life understand how someone thinks abusing children is something that you want/should do. Pedophiles and everyone that protects them should suffer through hell on earth, before being sent out of a cannon into the sun.

From the documentary I posted, it's down to the behaviour being normalised. At 24:14, it's mentioned there was a survey done and out of 1800 men, 1/3 said they didn't see child sex abuse as bad or illegal or even a sin. The abusers who do see it as a crime, will murder the child as it's been reported that 1/10 children abused are killed. Police also don't put much importance in the plight of the children (31:16), part of their excuse is they're more worried about terrorist bombings so they don't have time.

The perpetrators in the docu give their own reasons for why they commit it. "But we're helpless against our desires". It's also down to women being rarely seen in public (25:38). A 2014 WHO report says gender inequality is one of the top causes for child abuse. Pakistan is the 2nd worst country in the world when it comes to equal opportunities for women. Women are seen as pure: "You have to show propriety and chasteness with them", but "you can take boys around with you anywhere". It's part of the society's sexual denial. There's sexual frustration so they take it out on the most vulnerable. Many of the abusers were abused as kids, so it's a cycle of abuse.

Imran Khan is one of the few politicians throughout that docu to take this onboard although I don't know if he's put changes into action.

That documentary is very depressing especially after the fact that the Naeem ran away from the people helping him. Super messed up because the guys doing the raping went to the same life of rape and poverty, it also doesn't help that they are ultra religious but at the same time they "can't" help themselves to do it. I can't see any way to stop this cycle sadly :(

cameron

If you're interested, there was a brilliant documentary called "Pakistan's Hidden Shame" (Channel 4) that covered this in detail and focused on truck/bus station stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NB2Xz5yyA

From the documentary I posted, it's down to the behaviour being normalised. At 24:14, it's mentioned there was a survey done and out of 1800 men, 1/3 said they didn't see child sex abuse as bad or illegal or even a sin. The abusers who do see it as a crime, will murder the child as it's been reported that 1/10 children abused are killed. Police also don't put much importance in the plight of the children (31:16), part of their excuse is they're more worried about terrorist bombings so they don't have time.

The perpetrators in the docu give their own reasons for why they commit it. "But we're helpless against our desires". It's also down to women being rarely seen in public (25:38). A 2014 WHO report says gender inequality is one of the top causes for child abuse. Pakistan is the 2nd worst country in the world when it comes to equal opportunities for women. Women are seen as pure: "You have to show propriety and chasteness with them", but "you can take boys around with you anywhere". It's part of the society's sexual denial. There's sexual frustration so they take it out on the most vulnerable. Many of the abusers were abused as kids, so it's a cycle of abuse.

Had it bookmarked for later and just watched it. The above is a good summary on why it happens. But man, the doc was exceedingly infuriating or depressing after every 5-10 minutes with every new revelation, making it a difficult challenge to watch in one sitting. Holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom