• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch - Review Thread

I am not a Blizzard hater. I just haven't liked their games since WoW, except for Hearthstone. So I am just being overly cautious. Diablo 3 was still super MEH to me, even with all expansions and everything. At best a 6/10. So I'm scared.

But I will bite if enough outlets and GAFers make it so.

I guess I'm missing something. Just 2 game modes would automatically stop me from getting caught up in any absurd hype to give it 10/10 scores. Maybe down the road it gets there, but right now its just a very competent MP shooter lacking the everything else.
Sometimes yall just gotta play the game. Stop looking at check boxes and actually understand the mechanics, gameplay, polish. Judge the game on that instead of making fruitless conversations based on nothing.

mcz117chief

Glad to see the game getting nice scores, I can't play it though, I find the character designs to be anathema to me, like, I look at them and they just make me make the famous grumpy face of Eastwood from Gran Torino. I don't know what it is but it's just so unsettling.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Game absolutely deserves it. For me it's the Rocket League of shooters. Simple on the surface with incredible depth, everything unlocked at the beginning, and just FUN to play.

Breadth != depth. Overwatch a great initial breadth with a great cast of characters and maps. But that doesn't mean it's a deep game.

With CS:GO, every weapon has a unique spray pattern. Every map has unique communication mechanics. What equipment to buy is always a key decision. Noise/footsteps also add a ton of depth. Grenade placement, etc. Even the objectives have a ton of depth: where you plant the bomb changes your strategy. And all of this is without even touching the depth in teamplay (which Overwatch might have, but certainly not in solo queue right now).

Put another way, with Overwatch, there are generally only 2-3 mechanics you can learn, use, and master at any one time. That's lack of gameplay depth - there just aren't that many decisions you can make in the moment-to-moment action.
Care to break down the 2-3 mechanics of Overwatch? I find your argument baffling.

Interfectum

I am not a Blizzard hater. I just haven't liked their games since WoW, except for Hearthstone. So I am just being overly cautious. Diablo 3 was still super MEH to me, even with all expansions and everything. At best a 6/10. So I'm scared.

But I will bite if enough outlets and GAFers make it so.

I mean, do you like TF2? Would you like a game that takes the spirit of vanilla TF2 and expands on it, Blizzard style? If yes, you'd like this game.

If you have a console, get it on RedBox and try for yourself.

fuzzyset

Game absolutely deserves it. For me it's the Rocket League of shooters. Simple on the surface with incredible depth, everything unlocked at the beginning, and just FUN to play.

Care to break down the 2-3 mechanics of Overwatch? I find your argument baffling.

They mean that each character has 2-3 activated abilities. Also, Overwatch also has footsteps, so that's a moot point. It's explicitly mentioned in the tutorial.

TheYanger

So if I was to outline the stuff that I feel would take the sheen off this games perception as perfect it would be the following:

-Still too much focus and reward for kills in objective games. Another play of the match where its Bastion mowing down 5 people shows a flaw there.

-Complete lack of context to anything going on. You get a couple of character activated interaction lines in the countdown and thats it. Theres no attempt to make one side the villains and one side the heroes in regard to the world of Overwatch. The superhero basis is completely irrelevant for the actual game and causes a weird rift between it and the CGI episodes.

-A loot system that is just frustratingly sparse and scattershot. Character recolour shades as "loot" is content starved tier, and worse still you're getting shit for characters you may simply never want to play. Unlockable sprays is insulting.

-Discovering the game had a thoroughly shit tick rate explained some of the stuff I was frowning at in the beta.

-The incredibly uncreative 'training mode'. The game just communicates so often there was supposed to be some sort of campaign, but you're never gonna get it because that MMO was aborted.

We'll see where the game goes as a service over the year, but "can't it just be about the solid mechanics" feels like a very sudden 'this game only' affair due to its heritage.

"Lack of context" in what way? Every map actually has a reason for what is going on there, and you can deduce those reasons purely from playing the game if you pay attention. If you mean it doesn't try to force a story down your throat every match of a multiplayer online shooter that you play...Good? That would be asinine. For example, the payload on Numbani is the Doomfist, a powerful weapon from a lineage of supervillains, it's being put on display at the museum there and one side is trying to steal it. On Hollywood your payload is a limo carrying the director of the films that you're moving through the sets of, an Omnic, and he's facing assassinations attempts from the other side who are trying to incite another war between robots and humans. If you didn't 'get' that, that's fine, it shouldn't be obtrusive, but it's there if you think that's important to you.

"Shit tick rate" - if you think you experienced even ONE tick rate related death in the beta, let alone 'many' I don't think you understand how tick rate works.

If you think the game is rewarding 'kills' because play of the game exists, dunno what to say. If that Bastion is making you salty, counterpick him or learn how to play around him and punish his ass, it will feel fantastic and your team will love you for it. Most people don't feel all that rewarded just because they got POTG when they see DEFEAT over and over.

Mattenth

I'm not understanding how you get 2-3 mechanics from overwatch at all. Picking, counterpicking, rushing with a unique lineup to push through a unique defense. It changes everytime depending on who people use and what map they have and how they choose to defend it.

I wouldn't call that gameplay. Those are strategic decisions or teamplay decisions, but those aren't decisions that you're making in the moment-to-moment action.

When you're sitting and defending a point, the moment-to-moment decisions you're making there are very bland.

Pheace

I mean, do you like TF2? Would you like a game that takes the spirit of vanilla TF2 and expands on it, Blizzard style? If yes, you'd like this game.

I love TF2 but my biggest problem with Overwatch is the short games and small team sizes. In TF2 I'd spend all day playing 2Forts CTF with extra big teams. It was grand.

I did not like TF2 because I thought MOBA did multiplayer way better than any FPS ever has. But I have talked with a good friend about the comparisons between this and TF2, and it sounds like this is what TF2 should have been, with super unique characters, all of which are viable.

TheYanger

I wouldn't call that gameplay. Those are strategic decisions or teamplay decisions, but those aren't decisions that you're making in the moment-to-moment action.

When you're sitting and defending a point, the moment-to-moment decisions you're making there are very bland.

How does it NOT affect moment to moment gameplay. If Winston is attacking my team it is VERY different from if Pharah is attacking my team. By this logic CS:Go must be PAPER fucking thin, since you've already bought your weapons prior to the round.

-MD-

I did not like TF2 because I thought MOBA did multiplayer way better than any FPS ever has. But I have talked with a good friend about the comparisons between this and TF2, and it sounds like this is what TF2 should have been, with super unique characters, all of which are viable.

But TF2 has unique characters of which all are viable too.

I gotta say, I'm seeing some of these counter arguments in this thread, and I'm not convinced about the content, depth or balance detractions. The most polished multiplayer game Ive played all generation.

fuzzyset

...you still need to execute the strategy of your team.

Symbiotx

Sometimes yall just gotta play the game. Stop looking at check boxes and actually understand the mechanics, gameplay, polish. Judge the game on that instead of making fruitless conversations based on nothing.

Absolutely. Actually playing the game sold me on it. Play the damn thing, it's super fun!

Interfectum

I gotta say, I'm seeing some of these counter arguments in this thread, and I'm not convinced about the content, depth or balance detractions. The most polished multiplayer game Ive played all generation.

People can argue content, that's fair.

But to argue the game lacks depth and balance this early is laughable.

-Horizon-

CjPYhcuUoAAOz36.jpg

now where did I leave that bottle of mountain dew

What? I dont understand this.

Mattenth

How does it NOT affect moment to moment gameplay. If Winston is attacking my team it is VERY different from if Pharah is attacking my team.

But the decisions you're making are basically the same: do I shoot the enemy, reposition myself, or use an ability?

(Won't be around to reply btw).

Are reviews addressing the 20hz tick refresh rate?

It is something the vast majority of pub players won't notice due to the use of good dedis, and for competitive crowd, tournaments are run on customs with 60Hz tick rate support. And from a truck ton of people's experience, who played for over half a year already, the 20Hz tick rate thing impact the game in the most minimal way possible.

Serick

Married Member
But the decisions you're making are basically the same: do I shoot the enemy, reposition myself, or use an ability?

You just criticized every first person shooter in existence.

You can do that with any game/genre.

Sylas

I know you won't be around to reply but, uh. Wat.jpg.

Congrats, most video games consist of one or two things you actually do when you break'em down like that.

Okay I am kinda sick of the free pass shit.

Star Wars Battlefront - A beautiful looking game that was kind of looked down on people who wanted Battlefront of old that didn't want a space Battlefield skin, which for a lot of people it was (I think that's unfair myself) but, it also had a very expensive season pass but, it does get free content as well. Thing is me for a chunk of people it just wasn't that fun, at least from who I talk with. You can still enjoy the game if you already do with Overwatch existing.

Street Fighter V - Not sure why this in the discussion since it has offline modes it is also a fighting game. In any case, yes it had a rough launch with server problems for sure, much more rough than Overwatch even but the game is coming along nicely and hardcore fans feel like they got their money's worth considering how good the fighting is (I am still unsatisfied with the netcode but, hey time will tell).

Titanfall - Not sure why this one is even up for debate because even though it was multiplayer only, with a campaign that was more or less bot matches, from my understanding it was still well liked although the population (from what I hear) is starting to slow.

Not saying Overwatch is a perfect game or anything but, I like it and I think Blizzard did a good job paying attention on how other games are doing this thing. Which is kinda what Blizzard does now a days. Looks at trends and capitalizes on it, at least with Heroes of the Storm (which seems to be doing okay? And did a good job of diversifying itself) and now Overwatch.

Just my ten cents. I don't think any game is getting a pass though. There are people I know that don't like Overwatch and that's fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are some but the level of whining I'm seeing about this game getting a "free pass" is unreal.

$40 was a steal for this game, I already have 50 hours played.

Isn't it $60 on the consoles?

I understand the $10 licensing, but why not $50 then in that case if the PC is $40?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Lack of context" in what way? Every map actually has a reason for what is going on there, and you can deduce those reasons purely from playing the game if you pay attention. If you mean it doesn't try to force a story down your throat every match of a multiplayer online shooter that you play...Good? That would be asinine. For example, the payload on Numbani is the Doomfist, a powerful weapon from a lineage of supervillains, it's being put on display at the museum there and one side is trying to steal it. On Hollywood your payload is a limo carrying the director of the films that you're moving through the sets of, an Omnic, and he's facing assassinations attempts from the other side who are trying to incite another war between robots and humans. If you didn't 'get' that, that's fine, it shouldn't be obtrusive, but it's there if you think that's important to you.

And this would make sense to me if the concept of the games world was Overwatch were just hired bounty hunters and security workers with very neutral character bios. Instead its a collection of superhero and supervillain tropes but with no real connection to the gametype.
"Heyo! I'm Tracer and I'm trying to assassinate this Omnic film exec guy! Wait... what?"
An extra layer of context like you entering the game world through a Danger Room simulation at Overwatch HQ or... whatever the villain equivalent is would have gone a long way with me.

I played a lot of the beta, got bored with having to pickup team slack by going Reinhardt or Zenyatta and just couldn't see me plopping down the bones to actually buy it. F2P I'd have gone in and spent money on characters I wanted to cosmetic up. I know its retail priced on the basis that its going to get free shit all the way through, but my trust in that sort of thing is not free either.

fuzzyset

You just criticized every first person shooter in existence.

It's a ridiculous reductionist argument, and I would have to think they're trolling at this point. That line of argument could be applied to basically any activity with strategic thinking.

ant_

If you continue to break down any game to this granularity, then every game is simple and lacks depth.

What you're saying is not reflective of the actual experience of playing Overwatch at all.

-MD-

The depth of MOBA absolutely destroys the depth of anything I saw in TF2.

That said, I am biased. I played Dota 1 for about 2000 hours, H0n for another 2000, and Dota 2 for 3600.

Wasn't really responding to your first sentence about MOBAs, more the second one saying this game is "what TF2 should've been with all the characters being unique and viable". TF2 has that too.

To your point about depth though, I have 1200 hours in TF2 myself and seeing players with 3, 4, 5k+ hours isn't uncommon. I know same goes for MOBAs though.

TheYanger

Glad you basically outed yourself then prior to making sure you didn't have to respond? This is the most asinine argument you could possibly make. "Hey but this game doesn't have depth, when presented with a moment of gameplay, all I can do is press one or more buttons in whatever combination to produce the result I want" - applied to every game that has ever existed.

And this would make sense to me if the concept of the games world was Overwatch were just hired bounty hunters and security workers with very neutral character bios. Instead its a collection of superhero and supervillain tropes but with no real connection to the gametype. An extra layer of context like you entering the game world through a Danger Room simulation at Overwatch HQ or... whatever the villain equivalent is would have gone a long way with me.

I played a lot of the beta, got bored with having to pickup team slack by going Reinhardt or Zenyatta and just couldn't see me plopping down the bones to actually buy it. F2P I'd have gone in and spent money on characters I wanted to cosmetic up. I know its retail priced on the basis that its going to get free shit all the way through, but my trust in that sort of thing is not free either.

That would get in the way of the gameplay. Period. Gameplay First is the primary mantra at Blizzard. As I said in the other thread, it's bronzed in the floor of their campus next to the giant wolf rider statue. No other multiplayer shooter goes to the steps you're trying to pretend this game is lacking, so not sure why you see it as a negative.

Nobody forces you to play someone you don't want to either, if you think the team needs something and you hate losing, by all means, but that's your choice. Sometimes I buckle down and go on a rampage with one of those characters, sometimes I say 'fuck it' and pick Widowmaker despite having 3 already (not really), the fact that you think the game would even work with 'f2p buy your heroes' tells a fair bit though, that would be awful for this game. Nothing would be worse than playing with someone and them being physically unable to select the character you REALLY need right now.

ant_

Wasn't really responding to your first sentence about MOBAs, more the second one saying this game is "what TF2 should've been with all the characters being unique and viable".

TF2 has that too.

I think the point he's trying to make -

TF2 is a class based shooter.
Overwatch is a character/hero based shooter.

They're similar in many respects.

Wasn't really responding to your first sentence about MOBAs, more the second one saying this game is "what TF2 should've been with all the characters being unique and viable".

TF2 has that too.

Yeah I hear you.

It just didn't have nearly enough of it for me I guess.

I am questioning if Overwatch does...even with these reviews. I'm on the fence, really.

Mattenth

Gah, baited into another reply. I can't go down a list of specifics and prove "there, lack of depth" - it's more a feeling than anything. I'm generally pretty good at competitive games: MG elite in CS:GO, platinum in LoL, 1-shot the SC2 co-op mutators on brutal, etc. - and Overwatch just isn't grabbing me. And the big reason is that every game feels exactly the same. There's very little to react to, especially once you get over the "how do I deal with Bastion?" hump (spoilers: it's Pharah, Hanzo, Widowmaker or Junkrat).

LoL has fantastic counterplay that makes it deep. CS:GO has amazing and perfected mechanics such as noise, team communication and grenades. Overwatch just feels dry by comparison: shooting and positioning.

Okay I am kinda sick of the free pass shit.

Star Wars Battlefront - A beautiful looking game that was kind of looked down on people who wanted Battlefront of old that didn't want a space Battlefield skin, which for a lot of people it was (I think that's unfair myself) but, it also had a very expensive season pass but, it does get free content as well. Thing is me for a chunk of people it just wasn't that fun, at least from who I talk with. You can still enjoy the game if you already do with Overwatch existing.

In particular for Battlefront, with people wanting the "Battlefront of old," what people wanted there was a SP part because that was part of the "old" experience.

Fair or not, Overwatch never had that expectation hanging over it.

Interfectum

Gah, baited into another reply. I can't go down a list of specifics and prove "there, lack of depth" - it's more a feeling than anything. I'm generally pretty good at competitive games: MG elite in CS:GO and platinum in LoL - and Overwatch just isn't grabbing me. And the big reason is that every game feels exactly the same. There's very little to react to, especially once you get over the "how do I deal with Bastion?" hump (spoilers: it's Pharah, Hanzo, Widowmaker or Junkrat).

LoL has fantastic counterplay that makes it deep. CS:GO has amazing and perfected mechanics such as noise, team communication and grenades. Overwatch just feels dry by comparison: shooting and positioning.

Overwatch has counterplay, noise mechanics, cool downs and ultimates. I've not had a game play out the same way twice, not anymore than a random game of CS. Seems to me the game simply didn't grab you and you are trying to rationalize it by saying it lacks depth. Maybe it's just not for you?

do you seriously think competitive play in regards to team composition and strategies isn't going to be fucking lit once this games been out for a while and it's not just pup stomping?

I don't see how anyone could play the game and NOT see the potential for some true lock down setups that teams are going to have to work hard to break

Symbiotx

CS:GO has amazing and perfected mechanics such as noise, team communication and grenades. Overwatch just feels dry by comparison: shooting and positioning.

lol, you're literally just mentioning mechanics that are in both games, and favoring them in one. The real issue is just that you have a personally preference over how one game feels than the other. It doesn't mean that one game has something that the other doesn't. You just prefer one.

Top Bottom