• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Why do japanese companies trust these bozos?

Considering how Japanese do business and their level of trust, I'm honestly surprised that some games get handed out at candy. Some publishers mhst be starving for a global audience.

(We need another VN localizer to step in!)

Kirie

Watching all of this unfold on Twitter, and wow what a shit show lol

Not even surprised at this point since I didn't have any hopes for the project, but I feel bad for those who were excited if it turns out to truly be awful

Saphirax

Watching all of this unfold on Twitter, and wow what a shit show lol

Not even surprised at this point since I didn't have any hopes for the project, but I feel bad for those who were excited if it turns out to truly be awful

The opening song is called 'Some song I forgot'.

No, I'm not kidding. They left that in.

jzbluz

At least watching the reaction on twitter is entertaining. I wonder what are the chances that E2 goes bankrupt and a legitimate company can step in and do a rescue license, or even if Primula can revoke their license and give it to someone else; I know the latter has happened with manga series, but I've never seen it happen with a game.

Kirie

The opening song is called 'Some song I forgot'.

No, I'm not kidding. They left that in.
😂😂😂 Holy shit I can't even form a proper response to that--just incredible

As funny as this all is it's pretty depressing considering how many good things I've heard about Taisho Alice. What a waste :/

I think the localization looks fine.

C_ZzGApUQAAMLNW.jpg

The dub for this line makes it even better!

pariah164

That... No. Why. Why though. WHY WOULD YOU PUT OUT A GAME LIKE THAT?!

I'm sorry, my jimmies are all sorts of fucking rustled right now.

jzbluz

These people are so stupid; they forgot to encrypt their download link, which means it can easily be pirated by anyone.

Could this dub be even more amazing than Chaos Wars?? I'll need to find clips on this later...

At least Chaos Wars has more than one voice actor.

jzbluz

Gakuen Club just came out, and funny enough it's by the same artist as Taisho Alice. Not expecting much since it's a mobile port, but I'll probably buy it. Although I should finish Nightshade first.

Saphirax

Gakuen Club just came out, and funny enough it's by the same artist as Taisho Alice. Not expecting much since it's a mobile port, but I'll probably buy it. Although I should finish Nightshade first.

The Charming Empire was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Good game if you want to laugh your ass off though. Don't have much hope for GC being better.

jzbluz

The Charming Empire was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Good game if you want to laugh your ass off though. Don't have much hope for GC being better.

Oh did you buy it? The worst thing the reviews I saw had to say was that it was short. But then Steam is terrible for reviews.

Seeing people defend this "localization" is sad. If I pay for a product, I expect it to function properly, which in the case of visual novels in particular means that it is readable. This is not, so I don't think anyone is doing the criticism to be hateful but to warn potential buyers.

I think this wasn't about the localization itself, but about the previous delays. I know some otome fans have very low standards and think we should be grateful for anything we get, but I can't see anyone in their right mind defending this "localization".

Can you imagine if Aksys licensed the Vita port and gave it a proper localization? One can only hope.
Isn't the port by Dramatic Create? If someone actually manages to license the Fata Morgana port like the rumours say then maybe it would be easier for us to get the Taisho Alice port.

jzbluz

It's actually Prototype.

Oops! I must have gotten confused with Taisho Mebiusline, somehow.

Not sure how easy they are to work with. Sekai wasn't able (or probably was too cheap) to license their Grisaia port, but I think MG managed to port the vita additions to the PC version? Something they couldn't do with Ozmafia!! Or maybe that was a original publisher thing.

In any case, it would be nice if Aksys moved away from Otomate for Otome games at least once in awhile, but I'm skeptical.

Saphirax

Oh did you buy it? The worst thing the reviews I saw had to say was that it was short. But then Steam is terrible for reviews.

I think this wasn't about the localization itself, but about the previous delays. I know some otome fans have very low standards and think we should be grateful for anything we get, but I can't see anyone in their right mind defending this "localization".

Isn't the port by Dramatic Create? If someone actually manages to license the Fata Morgana port like the rumours say then maybe it would be easier for us to get the Taisho Alice port.

Thankfully no. I've watched someone play through one of the routes - the heroine's 'brother'. Yeah, it's short. Can finish a route in two hours or so. 90% of the game's budget went into voice acting because the rest is...well calling it a disaster wouldn't be far from the truth.

Characters behave like they have a personality disorder. The heroine is dumber than a pair of bricks and the plot is so nonsensical that the game would be better off without it.

Terribly disappointing.

Shizuka

One thing I never believed in Otome games is romances built in days. You say you want to spend the rest of your life with a person you met four days ago? No, I don't buy it, not even in fiction.

jzbluz

So someone got in touch with Primula, and apparently they were clueless about what was happening and are going to investigate.

https://twitter.com/Matsuri_Kuu/status/862800920064573441

Hopefully they are able to take back the license.

One thing I never believed in Otome games is romances built in days. You say you want to spend the rest of your life with a person you met four days ago? No, I don't buy it, not even in fiction.

Love at first sight? I guess I've read so many romances over the years that it doesn't seem that weird anymore, but I do dislike that trope.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So someone got in touch with Primula, and apparently they were clueless about what was happening and are going to investigate.

https://twitter.com/Matsuri_Kuu/status/862800920064573441

Hopefully they are able to take back the license.

Wow even with grant money they couldn't produce a finished product? Sounds like maybe a grab n run, especially since Primula was in the dark about it. I hope they can give the license to someone else that will create something of quality.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Taisho x Alice Vol. 1 Now Available
If anyone wants to know all the sordid details of this mess.

Also, E2's facebook is currently MIA. I guess they got tired of deleting all of the negative comments.

Wow that was a great read... I can't believe they took down their FB page. I hope they (he) can get sued for false advertising, mis using money (I'm sure there's more to the contract in the grant?) Something Primula can do on their end...

Linkura

I'm not listening to any of the fucking dub. I've suffered enough in my life.

I can't believe it's 2017 and we're still getting dumpster fire localizations like this. Hell, dumpster fire might be too kind.

WOW What a mess I've come in to see. I'm laughing, but it's also pretty sad.

I've finally started up Code;Realize. The idea of an Arsene Lupin VN is super appealing to me after P5 (But I heard you have to do his route last? No fun)

Now I'm just too enthralled at this disaster.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I need subtitle suggestions for Hakuoki's OT.

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds OT | Bakumatzoh Ball Soup for the Soul.

I'm kidding.

I've finally started up Code;Realize. The idea of an Arsene Lupin VN is super appealing to me after P5 (But I heard you have to do his route last? No fun)

Actually, the narrative structure of C:R is absolutely brilliant. Lupin's route first would have tremendously less impact unless you had experienced all others previously.

Ryzaki009

The game cuts short before the
lemme give you my blood
chapters. The rest is untouched, with new scenes to account for the new characters.

Ugh but those are my favorite bits.

Is it an awkward cut off or does it end on a sensible note? I really don't want a cliffhanger for like a year.

Top Bottom