• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion on limited physical releases (Limited Run, Play-Asia, Special Reserve, etc) for otherwise-digital games?

What's your opinion on limited releases?

• I love them (I'm a collector and it's cool to have exclusive stuff)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I love them (I just like buying games and I'm glad to get these physically)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I hate them (I'm a collector and I hate the first-come-first-serve nature of these releases)

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I hate them (other reasons)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
This generation, there has been a surging interest in physical ownership of games. The popularity of retro stuff is a part of that. Lots of new games are also releasing on physical format. These games are small, indie titles that otherwise would be digital only.

Some examples of websites that've done it so far are below.

Limitedrungames.com:
windjammers-ps-vita-ps4.jpg

Specialreservegames.com:
RNR_ps4_mockup_soldout_994514bb-c316-4e7b-8f00-ca39f1362844_1000x.png

Superraregames.com:
41c217buTvL._AC_SX215_.jpg
SRG_238_pack_540x.png

Strictlylimitedgames.com
IR_PS4_release_lineup.png
Gundemoniums_release-lineup.png

Play-asia.com:
unepic-535687.10.jpg

Shoutout to Bullet Club Bullet Club 's thread New Games On Old Systems, as many of those titles are also released in small numbers for one reason or another.

This blossoming market is not without its controversy. One early example was Breach and Clear, one of the first Limited Run games. Some wise scalper decided to buy up nearly every copy, cornering the market and jacking the prices way up. Collectors were pissed. Limited Run began enforcing a "Limit x per customer" rule on all new releases as a result.

Also, I've seen lots of complaints about having to "sit and watch the screen, hitting refresh at the countdown to score a copy", kind of like waiting in line in front of Best Buy prior to a Black Friday sale. The critique is that if the games are selling out so quickly, why not print more? To counter, others argue that the limited nature of the releases helps them sell better.

In response, some of the companies have started offering "pre-order windows" where there is no limit to the number of titles produced. The only limit is the short window in which you can place your order. This eliminates the need to "sit and watch the countdown" but doesn't entirely erase the limited nature of these game releases.

---

Thoughts on this issue?

Some games have gotten released through these websites that I wouldn't otherwise buy because I'm a physical-only sort of gamer. That's my own decision of course, but it's nice that these smaller games are coming out on disc/cartridge to be played and enjoyed for years to come.

Last edited:
Limited Run Games is something I got into earlier this year, a hazardous to my wallet type purchase. So far I've ordered Thumper (PS4) West of Loathing (Switch) and Golf Story: Winners Edition (Switch) Thumper arrived just last week, theres been a postal strike in Canada thats royally fucked up our mail and I also eBay'd Organ Trail (PS4) as I had missed that my pre-Limited Run Games days and my brother gave me a copy of Flinthook (PS4).

There are some games I'd love to see get physical editions, as a collector, I will not buy digitally unless I absolutely have too, I literally have about 18 Benno/ Gnedby shelves to house all the physical games I've collected over 30+ yrs. Sadly this happens alot with PSVR games, most recently with Beat Saber no physical copies and surprisingly no physical copies of Borderlands 2 for the PSVR either. The game I'm waiting for most to appear on Limited Run's calendar is Stardew Valley for the Switch.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
If it's not done the preorder way then it's bullshit.

jadedm17

In response, some of the companies have started offering "pre-order windows" where there is no limit to the number of titles produced. The only limit is the short window in which you can place your order. This eliminates the need to "sit and watch the countdown" but doesn't entirely erase the limited nature of these game releases.

Yea, sounds perfect to me. I've never had an issue personally as I'm signed up to get email updates, but even games I buy or I'm on the fence I'll see for sale a week later or get an email saying "1000 of 4000 copies left still".

Who would be against these? Worms, Dead Cells, my Switch collection has 7 of these and I can't wait for Celeste January 1st.
They're limited in that they're on sale a short while, but from what I can tell that means anywhere from days to weeks; By contrast concert tickets, limited edition posters (such as Mondo) are for sale seconds. Basically just pay attention and you won't really miss anything you want. (Unlike Mondo posters. Or Funko Pops.)

Limited Run Games is something I got into earlier this year, a hazardous to my wallet type purchase. So far I've ordered Thumper (PS4) West of Loathing (Switch) and Golf Story: Winners Edition (Switch) Thumper arrived just last week, theres been a postal strike in Canada thats royally fucked up our mail and I also eBay'd Organ Trail (PS4) as I had missed that my pre-Limited Run Games days and my brother gave me a copy of Flinthook (PS4)..

My collection started with Octodad(PS4) but has been Switch since : Golf Story, Human Fall Flat, Worms, Dead Cells...

Don't forget SuperRareGames. <3

I'm with you though, as someone who dug deep into debt then climbed out it's Switch physical games that are my last main guilty pleasure : Human Fall Flat and Golf Story aren't even opened, and that doesn't include retail games like Sonic I played on PS4 and barely touched on Switch. lol

Last edited:

ROMhack

Always thought they looked really cool but I haven't bought any personally.

Edit: In theory at least. Sounds like they might also be profiting through artificial demand judging by some replies here.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like buying my PS4 games physically, so I've picked up a fair few Limited Run releases when they were first starting out. Now that they're more well known / more popular, the games sell out in a matter of minutes and there were some cases where I attempted to buy them and they were sold out in less than 30 seconds.

After going through a few rounds of frustration on that front, bundled with the incredibly high cost (and even worse second-hand market) I basically gave up.

CatCouch

I love Limited Run. It's a bit of a hassle to be hitting refresh over and over hoping to get the dang thing (I have missed a few) but overall I appreciate it and have spent a lot. I'm just happy I managed to get the Shantae Pirate's Booty bundle! I love Shantae and I love the Switch!

ROMhack

I like buying my PS4 games physically, so I've picked up a fair few Limited Run releases when they were first starting out. Now that they're more well known / more popular, the games sell out in a matter of minutes and there were some cases where I attempted to buy them and they were sold out in less than 30 seconds.

After going through a few rounds of frustration on that front, bundled with the incredibly high cost (and even worse second-hand market) I basically gave up.

That sounds completely crappy. I assumed the 'limited run' concept was to cover their backs so they weren't left with excess stock. Creating exclusivity through artificial means is the opposite to what the service should be about - giving people the opportunity to buy physical games. The model sounds more beneficial for price gougers and re-sellers.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That sounds completely crappy. I assumed the 'limited run' concept was to cover their backs so they didn't have to waste money on things people would never pick up. Creating exclusivity is the opposite to what the service should be about - giving people who want to buy physical games the opportunity to do so.

I assume that's how it started out, and in theory I'm sure that's what they're going for. The problems is that these releases started commanding huge sums on the second-hand market (only place to buy them if you miss them) and that, in turn, created demand for scalpers or speculative collectors to buy early and often. Some were even writing scripts to automate the checkout process etc on Limited Run's site, several would put eBay auctions up even before they were open for order, that kind of stuff.

At first I thought "OK, obviously there is demand there, the Runs don't have to be so Limited any more", but everyone involved seemed to be happy with the outcome except for people like me who actually wanted to buy the games physically and play them. Like I said, after missing several releases I kinda gave up. Some of these titles, I got so mad I vowed not to buy the digital versions or play the games, and haven't.

That sounds completely crappy. I assumed the 'limited run' concept was to cover their backs so they weren't left with excess stock. Creating exclusivity through artificial means is the opposite to what the service should be about - giving people the opportunity to buy physical games. The model sounds more beneficial for price gougers and re-sellers.
I assume that's how it started out, and in theory I'm sure that's what they're going for. The problems is that these releases started commanding huge sums on the second-hand market (only place to buy them if you miss them) and that, in turn, created demand for scalpers or speculative collectors to buy early and often. Some were even writing scripts to automate the checkout process etc on Limited Run's site, several would put eBay auctions up even before they were open for order, that kind of stuff.

At first I thought "OK, obviously there is demand there, the Runs don't have to be so Limited any more", but everyone involved seemed to be happy with the outcome except for people like me who actually wanted to buy the games physically and play them. Like I said, after missing several releases I kinda gave up. Some of these titles, I got so mad I vowed not to buy the digital versions or play the games, and haven't.
In all fairness, Limited Run is the only place where I've noticed that occur. And it doesn't happen with every release, either, setting aside the fact that LImited Run also does open preorders for many of their games now.

That said, the other sites are in stock for much, much longer (probably because they aren't as well-known).

Yea, sounds perfect to me. I've never had an issue personally as I'm signed up to get email updates, but even games I buy or I'm on the fence I'll see for sale a week later or get an email saying "1000 of 4000 copies left still".

Who would be against these? Worms, Dead Cells, my Switch collection has 7 of these and I can't wait for Celeste January 1st.
They're limited in that they're on sale a short while, but from what I can tell that means anywhere from days to weeks; By contrast concert tickets, limited edition posters (such as Mondo) are for sale seconds. Basically just pay attention and you won't really miss anything you want. (Unlike Mondo posters. Or Funko Pops.)

Don't forget SuperRareGames. <3

Damn you! another site to bust open my wallet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Love them, except when it's that you have 30 minutes starting at 10AM or 6PM bullshit.
I love Limited Run. It's a bit of a hassle to be hitting refresh over and over hoping to get the dang thing (I have missed a few) but overall I appreciate it and have spent a lot. I'm just happy I managed to get the Shantae Pirate's Booty bundle! I love Shantae and I love the Switch!
Man I wanted that, was going to get it at 6PM but was getting frustrated unlocking characters in Smash and totally forgot for an hour, and then missed it. Got the standard edition ordered at least.

Last edited:

CatCouch

Love them, except when it's that you have 30 minutes starting at 10AM or 6PM bullshit.

Man I wanted that, was going to get it at 6PM but was getting frustrated unlocking characters in Smash and totally forgot for an hour, and then missed it. Got the standard edition ordered at least.
I feel I lucked out, it went up about 15-20 seconds before the timer was down, I was just hitting F5 to test it and it was up!

BigBooper

I'm all for physical printing of niche games. I think limiting the number in favor of artificial scarcity is dumb.

Taking orders for a few months before release and then only printing as many as had been ordered by the cutoff date would make much more sense to me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gives gamers a chance to play them. Word of mouth is important. Some of these games just take longer to find their stride and become popular.

Bullet Club

Banned
I'm interested in them, but LRG's shipping to Australia is way too expensive, so I've never got anything from there.

I've got 3 or 4 games from Play-Asia/EastAsiaSoft for the Vita. Reverie, One More Dungeon, Cursed Castilla and maybe another one that I've forgotten about. Decent prices, good extras and the boxes look great.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I only buy physical but I have a preference for arcade-style games over cinematic or online games, so they broaden my selection of games, which is good. It is a hassle and pretty expensive due to the limited nature and the required importing though. So I'd say better than nothing, but I prefer non-limited physical releases.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i only got games that im so interesting

Playasia I feel that they are very unattractive, they are games that are not worth much to the exceptions of some. Limited run games, same, many are games that you later find at 2 dollars, only very few are worth it. I currently buy House of Fata Morgana, is not the place that I like but it is apparently the only way to play in English on ps4, besides that game always caught my attention for its art and story. Is one of these games "Only Japanese" that i always keep my eye, so finally i can read the story in english.

Physical games should be manufactured when you click 'buy,' similar to how Amazon will burn some CD releases (CD? What's that?). No extra inventory, people get what they want. Everybody is happy. They can still do limited editions - say a particular cover art, or color mold for the case or cart, for X amount of time, whomever orders will get one. Scalper's cry, collector's are happy, again, no overproduction.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the fact that I can get long-lasting physical versions of these previously digital only experiences for pretty cheap prices... I hate the fact that if I don't order them when they go up and get lucky enough that I am one of the 3000 or so people ordering within the first 10 seconds that I would then have to pay an exorbitant premium via second hand locations.

I would love for them to limit the number of orders someone can have to 1 copy for a CE and 2 for a standard. I also love how they now have month-long preorders so you can save and get them if you really wanted the item.

Fuck scalpers of all kinds though.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the fact that I can get long-lasting physical versions of these previously digital only experiences for pretty cheap prices... I hate the fact that if I don't order them when they go up and get lucky enough that I am one of the 3000 or so people ordering within the first 10 seconds that I would then have to pay an exorbitant premium via second hand locations.

I would love for them to limit the number of orders someone can have to 1 copy for a CE and 2 for a standard. I also love how they now have month-long preorders so you can save and get them if you really wanted the item.

Fuck scalpers of all kinds though.
In my case, I have no problems to buy them because I always have the opportunity to be the first buyers when there are games that interest me, the problem I have with the Limited run games is that most of the staff is too obnoxious.

For me, I would buy it somewhere else and send it site to the hell, but unfortunately I do not know if it's really the only place where I get a specific physical game and then I raise the price on Ebay. Although I try not to buy or very rarely in the Limited Run Games.

theclaw135

Banned
The tendency to cost more than digital releases is a bit disappointing, but understandable.

I'd rather know a game is going to be a limited run than not know.
Forgiving as I am, handling it like Yokai Watch 3 is inexcusable garbage on the part of the publisher.

theHFIC

Limited Run Games allowed me to achieve a dream I had as a child of owning Night Trap for four different platforms.

For Vita games on LRG, you have to be there on the dot but I have sadly missed out on a few games I wanted refreshing constantly.

Never knew that about B&C as I got mine surprisingly easily (I have admittingly sold this on last month to pay for a holiday) but it is pretty terrible for Vita releases.

Not sure why they cannot limit games to 1 per customer on top of having your previous purchases providinf priority (this will stop new snipers buying the lot.

Pre-Order windows should be a thing for any console regardless of demand and should be a minimum of 5000 (2000 is a joke and the latest Vita game cost me £60+ "The House of Fata Morgana" better be worth it).

I am glad to see these sites provide this niche but they should be based on demand from the newsletters and surveys so everyone who wants one can and if they can't sell some of them to perhaps offer them to retail shops to sell on.

Limited Run do have a problem woth their timer. I have had one where it took 30 seconds refreshing to get the damn thing and sometimes you have it in your basket bashing away to buy then it says it sold out! HOW DOES A GAME IN HOUR TROLLEY SELL OUT!??!

Last edited:
For Vita games on LRG, you have to be there on the dot but I have sadly missed out on a few games I wanted refreshing constantly.

Never knew that about B&C as I got mine surprisingly easily (I have admittingly sold this on last month to pay for a holiday) but it is pretty terrible for Vita releases.

Not sure why they cannot limit games to 1 per customer on top of having your previous purchases providinf priority (this will stop new snipers buying the lot.

Pre-Order windows should be a thing for any console regardless of demand and should be a minimum of 5000 (2000 is a joke and the latest Vita game cost me £60+ "The House of Fata Morgana" better be worth it).

I am glad to see these sites provide this niche but they should be based on demand from the newsletters and surveys so everyone who wants one can and if they can't sell some of them to perhaps offer them to retail shops to sell on.
The boardgame industry does a fair amount of "print on demand", but that is done on a per-publisher and per-game basis.

The nice thing is that LRG and several of the other sites have started doing "open pre-order windows" instead of limited quantities for particular games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cancer

Fuck that fat emo twat from LRG

And i won't be a part of this shit tier scalping shit.

When something sells out. You make more of em.
Al this twat does is feed scalpers.
Fuck him

Last edited:
I don't care, as my library is all digital anyway at this point. I do agree that it's shitty to have limited prints on these games. If people want to buy them, why not make more? The whole collector aspect of it rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not a fan. I prefer physical releases and have no issue paying more for something that is legitimately exclusive in nature (to varying degrees). My problem is the limited time windows that exist for attempting to order these products and the competition the ordering periods create amongst interested consumers, further exacerbated by those who are buying these releases simply to maintain a complete collection or flip the games on auction websites.

I understand the reasons given for why using pre-orders for print-to-demand aren't apparently an option, but I wish the platform holders and these limited-release companies could find a more user friendly avenue for every consumer to have a chance at buying these products.

BruceCM

I've got physical releases for my Switch on big games but none of limited types are big enough & I've got most of those in eshop sales, too :messenger_sunglasses: Glad options exist for those who really want physical so much, though :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The boardgame industry does a fair amount of "print on demand", but that is done on a per-publisher and per-game basis.

The nice thing is that LRG and several of the other sites have started doing "open pre-order windows" instead of limited quantities for particular games.

Monopoly seem to do that a lot.

It's good that they are moving towards that but it is a shame they can't do that for Vita games. 😐

Monopoly seem to do that a lot.

It's good that they are moving towards that but it is a shame they can't do that for Vita games. 😐
I hear you. I think as time goes on, the "indie small-run printing" publishers will have to compete more with one another and provide the sort of stuff you're talking about. In a few short years, Limited Run, Strictly Limited, Special Reserve, Warned Collectors, Fangamer, Super Rare Games, and Play-Asia have all done limited printings on some capacity (and I know I am omitting several other indie publishers).

Hopefully this competition will result in more physical titles as well as a more reasonable way to purchase them. 🤞

Scalpers are a pain in the ass on these types of releases huh? It's one of these reasons why I don't buy these because they mostly sell out quick and when I see them circling around.. They are $70+.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I honestly don't care if it's got atleast a decent run. If it's artificially limited it rubs me the wrong way at times.

Hudo

I love them and they are essential for me, if I want to buy some lesser-known/indie games. I generally don't buy digitally (there have been some very rare exceptions, though) even if it means that I am missing out on a game.

Bar81

I understand the reasons given for why using pre-orders for print-to-demand aren't apparently an option, but I wish the platform holders and these limited-release companies could find a more user friendly avenue for every consumer to have a chance at buying these products.

That's not an excuse. Limited Run Games in particular are one of the most anti-consumer companies out there - their whole model is based on artificial scarcity and scalpers.

There are simple things that a company can do to make things more consumer friendly - (1) announced fixed time of opening of preorders, (2) limit orders to one unit per address and (3) a second print run on high demand games. All things a company would do if they really cared about all of their customers actually being able to obtain a copy.

I went digital only this generation and these kinds of shenanigans make me glad I did.

That's not an excuse.
Opportunities may exist to be more consumer friendly, but nothing short of giving the general public the ability to essentially pre-order product will solve the majority of issues surrounding these manner of limited-physical releases. Improving the current situation would likely require a stronger working relationship between the limited-release companies, publishers & developers, and the platform holders.

As I wrote in my initial post, I'm not a fan of these types of releases, but I don't consider the overall practice anti-consumer.

I prefer physical, in the sense that you feel like you own something. It does not depend on having a connection or a subscription or counting that tomorrow the web page that you gave you money will still be there, or that you are counting free space to check which game you can install in the hard drive. I prefer things like Vita's and Switch since a card or a cartridge seems more sturdy than a cd, which may get scratched or broken. Not all games from play-asia or limited run are good. You feel tempted to get them because they are limited, so if you think you may like them you think you will regret it if you don't get them, but many of those are crap (not all of them, some are quite nice), Agree with the policy; it seems less risky, since it's easier to free stock if you print less

Zannegan

I don't personally care for/about them, but it seems like a nice service that meets the need of the collector niche, so it's definitely a good thing.

If the games were going to sell in droves physically, then they'd get a lot more than just a limited run. On the other hand, the model's existence also shows that there's clearly a demand for the games in physical form. Publishers minimize risk, fans of physical get a larger library, it's a win-win.

It would be nice if, instead of running a set number of the games off, they would launch something in the style of a crowd-funding/backer campaign, where as long as they hit a minimum number of preorders, they promise to produce enough copies to meet everyone's needs.

Although, I guess the other edge of that blade is that they might not hit the minimum on some games that they would otherwise have printed. Hmm...

Last edited:

KiteGr

Man, I have a love-hate relationship with them.

On one side they make retail releases for games that otherwise wouldn't had any.
On the other side, they make them so limited, that even if you manage to get one of them, they won't come cheap.

I'm unable to decide between the 2nd and 3rd option in the poll...

Top Bottom