• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oneomania and games

Has it happened or happens to you, the fact that you buy games on impulse and end up not playing anything?

You look at your hundreds of games, spend half an hour trying to choose one to play, but give up and end up doing something else...

It affects me sometimes, unless it's a game I've been waiting for years.

Has this happened to you? I used the technical term, but do you have an impulse to buy games just for buying, because of sales, and have a hard time choosing a game to start playing ? (And sometimes give up..)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Not saying this is you, but when that happens to me its a sign I need to focus on other things in life ie I'm depressed and I'm subconsciously feeling guilty about playing games because I know there are other things that could be done. Right now its mostly driven by me being unemployed, nothing like looking for a job and getting your house ready to sell all day and then still feeling like I haven't done enough to warrant sitting down to enjoy myself. I can take pharmaceuticals but it just causes other problems which then become the focus of my depression, I really need to pull myself up to get out of it.

I've brought the ability to feel this way on myself by being a lazy, lucky, procrastinator in the past when I didn't know what to do with my life and thought "It'll come", but it doesn't you have to go and find it.

I really don't know how clinically depressed people find the time to enjoy things, if you always feel like that. Just got to find the right moments I suppose.

OT getting back to games advice: Maybe try playing an old game you know and love to try and see if that brings back the passion. Forcing yourself to play something new because you feel obliged leads to feeling worse I find, you may well ruin your experience of the thing and feel worse afterwards.

edit - I started watching live police chases/action and that kinda helps for some reason 🤷‍♂️ something about seeing how fucked up things can get really puts into perspective how fucking stupid and minor by own problems are, plus the host is pretty funny and doesn't take life too seriously, and he has a cool cat, basically: KISS

Even if you don't smoke the doobies give him ^^^^ a watch, its pretty mad seeing what police action entails as well, I wanted to educate myself after all the bullshit this last year. I wanted to see how police actually do their jobs... and its a fucking terrible horrible job with no thanks for how much bullshit they put up with.

Last edited:
Not saying this is you, but when that happens to me its a sign I need to focus on other things in life ie I'm depressed and I'm subconsciously feeling guilty about playing games because I know there are other things that could be done. Right now its mostly driven by me being unemployed, nothing like looking for a job and getting your house ready to sell all day and then still feeling like I haven't done enough to warrant sitting down to enjoy myself. I can take pharmaceuticals but it just causes other problems which then become the focus of my depression, I really need to pull myself up to get out of it.

I've brought the ability to feel this way on myself by being a lazy, lucky, procrastinator in the past when I didn't know what to do with my life and thought "It'll come", but it doesn't you have to go and find it.

I really don't know how clinically depressed people find the time to enjoy things, if you always feel like that. Just got to find the right moments I suppose.

OT getting back to games advice: Maybe try playing an old game you know and love to try and see if that brings back the passion. Forcing yourself to play something new because you feel obliged leads to feeling worse I find, you may well ruin your experience of the thing and feel worse afterwards.

edit - I started watching live police chases/action and that kinda helps for some reason 🤷‍♂️ something about seeing how fucked up things can get really puts into perspective how fucking stupid and minor by own problems are, plus the host is pretty funny and doesn't take life too seriously, and he has a cool cat, basically: KISS

Your reply is precious, i enjoy every word and have some ultra valid points.
I feel that way when im depressed...I fight against it for at least 25 years. When im really deep in depression i just can't play.

Some games, I don't know why, even in depression, gives me joy.

What u said about guilty, focus on other activities, are all truth also.

Some games, I don't know why, even in depression, gives me joy.
I'm like this. I can be in a funk and most games sound like "too much". But, there are some comfort food games that I can really enjoy. They're just engaging enough, without being too much.

For me, it's grindy turn-based JRPGs, such as the NES Dragon Quest/Warrior games, or stuff like Bravely Default (often grinding jobs beyond what I need).

Last edited:
I'm like this. I can be in a funk and most games sound like "too much". But, there are some comfort food games that I can really enjoy. They're just engaging enough, without being too much.

For me, it's grindy turn-based JRPGs, such as the NES Dragon Quest/Warrior games, or stuff like Bravely Default (often grinding jobs beyond what I need).

For me is some beat'em up, hack' n slash... Fighting games...
I dunno, maybe because they are "put and play"...

Top Bottom