• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are games are better on second playthrough?

buenoblue

So due to financial uncertainty and short hours at work I haven't been able to buy new games lately. I used to buy a new game probably monthly.

But it has given me the chance to replay games that I already own.
I've replayed GOW 218, both Horizon games, Hogwarts legacy, Spiderman, and just about done with FF7 remake.

And i ve got to say I'm having a blast. Being already familiar with the mechanics of the game, picking up little points of the story you may have missed and being so much better at the combat has made these games so much fun to play.

So do you replay games? And are they better second time through?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Very rarely for me. All the first-time surprise and excitement is gone. Small advantages, like you say, you pick up on things you missed the first time, but it'll never compare to the first time you experienced it.

Mr Hyde

If the game has an NG+ and it's fun I don't mind doing another playthrough. Just getting to know the game better and feel the comfort of familiarity can definitely improve the experience on a second (or third) playthrough.

Vick

So due to financial uncertainty and short hours at work I haven't been able to buy new games lately. I used to buy a new game probably monthly.

But it has given me the chance to replay games that I already own.
I've replayed GOW 218, both Horizon games, Hogwarts legacy, Spiderman, and just about done with FF7 remake.

And i ve got to say I'm having a blast. Being already familiar with the mechanics of the game, picking up little points of the story you may have missed and being so much better at the combat has made these games so much fun to play.

So do you replay games? And are they better second time through?
I know this feeling so damn well, happened many, many times to me.

But some games rely a bit too much on narrative and for those the first playthough is always going to be the best.

cormack12

Gold Member
Generally I'd say I avoid playing through games twice. But having done it recently for a few I'd say it can be a good thing.

The problem is modern games are so convoluted with so many abilities that you have to earn, as well as poorly connected and paced plots means fatigue sets in and I find you kind of switch off the intensity.

So yeah, after a second playthrough of Ragnarok for example, I picked up on so much and adored it.

Problem is having the time to do so, and knowing all the fatiguing parts are coming up like slow walking, exposition dumps etc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If there’s a fun incentive, then yes.

Naughty Dog rewards you by giving fun new features like presentation options, skins, unlimited ammo, etc.

Other games can keep me going if I still need to level up weapons, or just to experience starting a new game as a powered up character.

For me the second playthrough is pure fun.

Three

Depends on the game. I only really learnt how to play GoW on NG+ on Give Me God Of War mode. Other games like Persona 5 it felt a little bit like a chore but the extra boss fight was good enough. Some games I don't really go through again though, games like Uncharted 4, Death Stranding, AW, I didn't do. Had a blast with it but once I experienced them I moved on to another game.

ReyBrujo

Only if over 10 years have passed personally, I don't like losing everything if there's no NG+ option, but NG+ makes everything just too easy. However if the second playthrough is completely different to the first one (like with Labyrinth of Galleria) yeah, I don't mind that at all. By the way, I seldom try going for 100% completeness or try to beat the game at a harder difficulty once I finished it in normal.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Depends on the game. Love replaying some N64 and GBA stuff. Going straight in to NG+ on a From game is always a delight as you get to destroy the early and mid game enemies that previously caused you a world of pain.

That being said, Sony’s cut scene heavy stuff that you are replaying would be a nightmare IMO.

If you’re skint get on Deku Deals and look for older acclaimed games that you’ve never played and pick them up for pennies.

Gandih42

Its not that often I replay games that don't have some kind of NG+ mechanic where stuff carries over, unless the game is fairly short or there are other fun incentives. For Souls-likes (especially the FromSoftware ones) I love trying different builds so those are a definite yes. The ones I replay the least are long form RPGs where you start from scratch. Though if I enjoy the story and gameplay enough, I'm still tempted to go back (looking at you ToTK, Xenoblade 1/2).

That aside, I often find that I can dig into the mechanics and story of the game much more on a second playthrough, which to an extend replaces the novelty and discovery of the first playthrough. If I had more time, I'm sure I'd replay games even more.

Recent examples for me:
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Hard Mode makes the combat much much more enjoyable as you're forced to really utilize its mechanics, while not being overly punishing. Also hadn't completed the DLC yet which was EXCELLENT and got me super excited for Rebirth (I never played the original 7).
  • Demon's Souls (PS5): Since the Platinum required getting all spells, it was the perfect opportunity to do a faith AND magic playthrough. Even after that, I'm still tempted to do more playthroughs with different builds. Such a great game.
  • Final Fantasy 16: I loved the story and gameplay so while 'Final Fantasy' mode NG+ still wasn't hard enough, it made for a great second playthrough with improved pacing as I didn't feel the need to watch all the side quest cutscenes. Some of the bigger story and character moments even hit harder on the second run.
  • Evil West: Still going with my Hard Mode playthrough on this one, which similarly to FF7R makes the combat sing much more. Also has fun boss challenges for the Platinum trophy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I know this feel all too well.
(Doesn’t work for all games )Sometimes when
I have just stopped playing a game for a while then come back to it for a second go. I end up appreciating it more.

BoTW for example or coming back to an older game, classic doom or quake or Super Mario Bros/3/ world, replaying street fighter 2 are like wearing a comfy pair of slippers. Ahh

Also it helps save money.

Last edited:
Depends solely on incentive, for me. And sometimes that incentive can be intentional by the devs, or just small things you personally cling to on your first or next playthroughs.

A example of a intentional incentive:
There was not a single playthrough of Bayonetta 1 that I did, where I didn't discover something new that made me want to replay it again and again.
Even something as simple as finding out that if you mash the shoot button, she shoots lightning fast, was enough to make me replay it two more times.

Also these bad boys

images

Bayonetta 1 intentionally baits you into a second playthrough. But you also cling to your things that you want more of because it wasn't enough.

And an example of a purely unintentional incentive:

I replayed Final Fantasy 7 (Original) to revisit it. And on my second playthrough, Yuffie's limit break (Doom of the Living) was so absurdly cool, that when I beat my second playthrough where I unlocked that, I said I will 100% play this game a third time. And I will!
Just because I didn't seen enough of that limit break.

Anyway, replaying games is fucking awesome.
All you need is that bait.

I love to replay games and do it all the time, especially older games. I wouldn't say it's better the second time - maybe sometimes. But most of the time it's almost as good.

Duchess

Kena's New Game+ is great.

There are new enemy types, new enemy placements, the bosses have extra phases and additions, and it's that much more intense.

Highly recommended if you never tried it out.

I usually avoid a second play of modern games. Everything feels too familiar. I really have to have forgotten everything before a second play is enjoyable. New game+ is useless to me.

I re-played God of War just before Ragnarök and really enjoyed it., but I had forgotten most of the intricacies of the plot. Conversely, I tried to re-play Elden Ring and it just felt like I was doing everything all over again... not fun.

Kurotri

I'm the type to never replay or rewatch anything. That first time magic cannot be captured twice, however there's of course some exceptions. The one game that broke that rule for me was Persona 5 Royal which is how I got into the series in the first place. The second playthrough managed to be even better which honestly shocked me. But in general I don't touch a game twice.

Miles708

I rarely replay games nowadays but i must admit i'm on my 3rd Detroit run over the years and every time i enjoy it very much.
But generally i play less and less so i don't really replay anything.

But if the game has a chapter select, i will gladly replay certain parts i particularly liked.

Baldur's Gate 3 has to have the most replay value of any game I've ever bought. It's surprising to me how different things can be in unexpected ways and it's such a treat.

Fbh

Games which are gameplay focused, well paced and have decent depth to their mechanics can be a blast to replay.
Like Platinum games are often better in NG+ because you actually have all the weapons, most of the unlockable skills and a certain degree of mastery over the combat which makes it more fun. I also like how in higher difficulties they often change up enemy encounters (with stronger late game enemies showing up in earlier chapters).

"Cinematic" games where you are forced to constantly walk around and do barely interactive stuff are annoying to replay.
Like I enjoyed GOW Ragnarok but the idea of having to replay all the boring story moments and Atreus chapters makes me not want to replay it.

Games which are gameplay focused, well paced and have decent depth to their mechanics can be a blast to replay.
Like Platinum games are often better in NG+ because you actually have all the weapons, most of the unlockable skills and a certain degree of mastery over the combat which makes it more fun. I also like how in higher difficulties they often change up enemy encounters (with stronger late game enemies showing up in earlier chapters).

"Cinematic" games where you are forced to constantly walk around and do barely interactive stuff are annoying to replay.
Like I enjoyed GOW Ragnarok but the idea of having to replay all the boring story moments and Atreus chapters makes me not want to replay it.
The only time I can replay a "cinematic" game and enjoy it is with the distance of time. I remember buying GOW on Steam not too long after I had finished a playthrough on the PS4Pro and just couldn't last more than a few hours. It was all too fresh for me to find the same enjoyment I did the first time through.

Whereas I can play a relatively "cinematic" game like Half-Life 2 or Metro: Exodus and enjoy it every year simply because the nature of it being so physics based or systems based can lead to interesting things that I maybe hadn't considered before and enjoy it in new ways.

DaGwaphics

I rarely can even complete a second play through unless it has been a long time since I first played. With rare exceptions being games that offer a lot of variety in completing tasks, for example Hitman or something like that.

Not knowing the end of the story is part of the appeal for me.

Elysium44

Banned
Entirely depends. Some games with emotionally powerful rollercoaster stories like TLOU or Days Gone will never have the same impact on a second playthrough, although from a purely gameplay perspective they certainly have a lot of replay value.

Bond007

I usually hit it and quit it.
Very rare a game calls me back. Seems for me Insomniac games have replayability for me.

Spiderman's/ Ratchet and Clanks - Usually easy to repeat and enjoyable.

Last edited:

IAmRei

sometimes, yes. depend on the games. unless certain series / genre. sometimes even 2nd 3rd 4th playthrough can still give you surprises.

Fbh

The only time I can replay a "cinematic" game and enjoy it is with the distance of time. I remember buying GOW on Steam not too long after I had finished a playthrough on the PS4Pro and just couldn't last more than a few hours. It was all too fresh for me to find the same enjoyment I did the first time through.

Whereas I can play a relatively "cinematic" game like Half-Life 2 or Metro: Exodus and enjoy it every year simply because the nature of it being so physics based or systems based can lead to interesting things that I maybe hadn't considered before and enjoy it in new ways.

Yeah cinematic games can still be fun to replay but personally I need at least a few years to go by.
It's not like Doom Eternal, Bayonetta 1-3 or Bloodborne where I could start a second playthrough right after finishing them

MarkMe2525

Metal Gear and the Resident Evil are famous for their incentives to have multiple playthroughs. I believe I went through MGS at least 5 times.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Depends on the game really, action games like , say, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, MGS Rising, Bayonetta, Resident evil 4 etc which are shorter, level based affairs are definitely better in a 2nd playthrough since you're already familiar with their intricate combat systems and you know how to tackle scenarios better and can actually experiment more with said systems.

There's also games like Sekiro and DS which are also action heavy but, for me at least, they lose that x-factor® since they're also atmosphere-heavy and the magic of exploration is completely lost on a 2nd playthrough.

Then, there's beautiful, story-heavy games like Red dead redemption 1 and 2, Shadow of the colossus, Mass effect etc where - always IMO - they give everything that they have to give in 1 playthrough and revisiting the games can actually be harmful to the nice feeling(s) you're left with upon completing them the 1st time.
It may sound anecdotal but, after finishing Shadow of the Colossus and MGS3 on the PS2 back in the day, I didn't want to revisit them for many years since the "feels" I had been left with upon finishing them were enough and replaying them would actually mar/spoil the good memories they've left me with if that makes any sense.
Same thing with the last guardian, absolutely loved it on the PS4 but... if I'm going to replay it's going to be 10 years from now.

As for longer, rpg-type games, I never bothered since after 100-150-200 hours , the last thing I want is revisiting them - the quantity of... everything just gets in the way - personal opinion and all that 😉

Cheers

Vick

This 100%.

I don't think I'm ever going to replay Ragnarok for this very reason, all the more infuriating considering how much I loved replaying GoW 2018 before the sequel.

I mean if THIS was my reaction to it during a first playthrough:

I just had to stop playing because I wanted to, that hasn't happened to me in at least a couple of years.

Whoever came up with the whole Iron Wood section (which is more of an full lenght completely different and boring lame ass game) should be fired on the spot and never work in gaming again. This shit literally killed GoW Ragnarok for me.
Early on I thought it wasn't as bad as some said it was, but then it overstayed its welcome, and then actually went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on until I just said enough and turned the console off in anger and disbelief.

Elden Ring must win GOTY at this point for the sake of gaming.

I don't even want to imagine what a replay might do to me.

I can totally relate.

But sometimes we also enjoy a game so damn much we make our own objectives for it, for me such "cinematic" game is the first The Last of Us as I've spent ten years trying to make a perfect Grounded run for it. I'm currently in my fourth playthough in a row of the Remake and it's truly going to be the definitive one.
Granted with "perfect" I mean a super duper OCD Grounded + run for an impeccable Chapter Select, meaning the absolute most perfect inventory, ammo, resources and collectibles at every single point of the campaign and this necessarily traslates into:

- Taking no damage (or at least being max health when leaving an area along with max health items)
- Collecting every single resource/ammo found in every inch of every map
- Killing every single enemy and doing so by using no resources/ammo if not those provided within the same area but only once reached max capacity (with just a couple of impossible to do otherwise exceptions but I've basically discovered ways to cleanly pass even most of those)
- Always leaving an area with a brick in the inventory
- Always carrying a fully intact melee weapon (and this is the biggest challenge as it means no melee at all most of the time and having to rely on bricks or bottles to perform the grab and kill)
- Collecting every single collectible found in every inch of every map

What's really amusing is that the game actually allows for all this 99% of the time so some dev must really be just as OCD as I am.

But a definitive Chapter Select means already starting the game with fully upgraded weapons and Joel.. so I did the first Grounded to unlock full equipment in the NG+, then a Grounded + run to fully upgrade every weapon bar a single rifle upgrade, move necessary to prevent scraps for despawning before collecting a specific number of them (this wasn't planned originally but having forever a red colored zero while examining weapons at the workbench was a no-go) while perfecting strategies even more and also collecting just the 100 supplements needed for the only Joel upgrade missing in Grounded, then a third run in Custom Difficulty to fully upgrade Joel while collecting every single one of the 550 supplement present in the game (and this alone took alot of research as supplements differ in quantity compared to the OG) and exactly #2053 scraps so that by fully upgrading the rifle by the end of the run I'll forever have 2013 scraps in the inventory, and now the truly final and definitive Grounded + run already starting with fully upraded weapons and fully upgraded Joel.
Run that I'm enjoying the shit out because of how effective and bulletproof the strategies are now and how better it feels to explore with no scraps in sight. This all obviously make the game hyper challenging but also extremely engaging and satisfying to the point I would never get tired of it even when such runs can take 40+ hours each.

And i'm perfectly aware this may sound absolutely batshit crazy, but I mean, Anthony Caliber on YT speedruns TLOU all day everyday for almost ten years, so..
Really shows the importance of impeccable visual feedback and controls, because it the game instead of feeling like it does controlled as say an Evil Within 2, I probably wouldn't have finished even a single playthough since 2013.

Other games, like OG Resident Evil 4 or recently Dead Space: Remake, I just find super replayable on their own.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, except games without a plot or exctiting things to see that are 100% gameplay focused like fifa.

Or stuff with paper thin plot like ng or dmc or souls, but i would argue that seeing a cool weapon\boss\location for the first time is still more significant than replaying the same fucking game with artificial added challenge and higher stats.

This is why they should castrate every dev that doesn't make every difficulty mode available from the start.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

No. I only really replay games years after the fact. I also don't bother with new game plus stuff even if it has more story or something (Nier, Alan Wake 2),

xrnzaaas

I usually enjoy games like XCOM on my later playthroughs. I don't make so many dumb mistakes or fail the entire campaign. I can enjoy picking the best upgrades and using the learned tactics to achieve a better final result. The game needs to have some random bits to surprise me and make it work. It's not possible if it's super linear and everything is hand crafted (like with Mutant Year Zero - good candidate for a single playthrough only).

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I never go for a second playthrough.

The last time I replayed a game was with SotC on PS2, but only because you needed to beat the game multiple times to get enough stamina to climb to the Garden of Eden without glitching.

Depends. Some games are kinda too short to fully understand the mechanics, or sometimes fun unlocks happen too late in the game which can make a NG+ or whatever more fun than the initial playthrough. But there are also games were I realise how hollow everything becomes once I understand how dumb I can cheese my through or how little I can actually vary my style.

Humdinger

Depends. I enjoy replaying games that have good stories and combat. I also enjoy replaying some Gen 6/7 games, because it's been so long.

Last edited:

saintjules

It's rare, but there have been a few that have made me feel like a second playthrough was worth it.

Games like Remake and TLOU2 for instance, having respective 60fps updates was an easy enough decision for me to dive back in. So things like increased performance value makes it worth it to go back, at least for me.

A game like Persona 5 isn't worth going back just because it as so long to get through tireless Palaces (Dungeons). However, I loved playing the game under a single playthrough as it's the first time I experienced everything. But to do 100+ hours again? Definitely not. So that's where I say games with substantial playtimes are hard to go back. Less replay value.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Depends on the game...probably an obvious take...but true. Also I like to give myself time to forget a lot about my 1st playthrough before just going through the game again. I've recently done this is Nier Automata. This time, playing on hard and honestly I can't get past the first chapter to get to a damn save spot. I got 15 hours in that playthrough and I'm still at the beginning, but I'm perfecting my attacks and dodges...I feel like it'll payoff in the long run.

Games like Elden Ring are just too big for me to wanna playthrough as often as I have previous Souls games. I recently rebeat Sekiro again and was surprised that they added a boss rush mode in the game. In this case, the 3rd playthrough was better.

I'm giving myself a little time before I playthrough Baldur's Gate 3 again, but I imagine it will be a blast playing through as the Dark Urge character or my own custom character maybe. First time I played as Wyll.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Tetris gets better every time you play it.

But seriously, some games definitely do. Skill-based games can be much more fun when the game can’t throw any more curveballs at you and you can focus on refining your techniques in passages you’ve already been through. Even if the wonder of the first time can never be recaptured, I enjoyed Dark Souls more on replays, when I already knew some of the game’s cheaper tricks. The same can happen with some RPGs when you already know how not to be surprised by enemies and bosses. Going from struggling to survive to dominating the field feels great! With some long RPGs, a replay can also help putting together some pieces you missed the first time.

Some games just can’t be the same on replays, though. Xenoblade is unrepeatable to me. It’s just too big, and so much of the games is about the wonder of seeing those environments for the first time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Games like Hitman are better once you have unlocks, NPCs paths memorized, and just a general better understanding of the levels.

RAIDEN1

It is very rare I would go through a game on a 2nd playthrough the only exceptions being: Full Throttle, and Mass Effect trilogy, on the 2nd playthrough of Full Throttle it reminded you how short the game is and how we'll never get a Full Throttle part 2 or at least some sort of a spin-off...

Top Bottom