• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
truffleshuffle83 said:
so does anyone know when they are releasing more faceplates?? i want the carbon fiber one like the pgr3 one, but im not paying 100 bucks like the rest of those fools on ebay
You could always try this place. It's a decent alternative until MS makes some more available.

Sean

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Yep, the 360 has to be on for the controller to charge. You can plug it into your computer's USB and charge it that way, though. That's what I usually end up doing.

Anyone know if it would charge on a Mac as well? Or do you need drivers or something.

SuperPac

Sean said:
Anyone know if it would charge on a Mac as well? Or do you need drivers or something.

Yes, it charges on a Mac. No drivers needed since the Play n' Charge cable is just for charging.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
truffleshuffle83 said:
so does anyone know when they are releasing more faceplates?? i want the carbon fiber one like the pgr3 one, but im not paying 100 bucks like the rest of those fools on ebay

Those are very, very limited. $100 would be a steal for those.

Ryck

Madden it looks WAY better in 720p ( my Tv scales it to 1080i ) but the lighting looks better...it's almost as if some of the lighting effects are cut back ( or turned off) when it's in 1080i. The framerate is also improved in 720p. It is sharper in 1080 but that isn't exactly good as it makes certain flaws more noticable ( jaggies n such)

One thing that does irk me regardless of the res the image dosen't fully fit my screen like on PdZ I can't tell how much ammo I have as the scrren cuts off right there Ridge Racer it cuts off part of the Postition meter thing.... hopefully a patch will be released like for halo2.

Bebpo

Banned
morbidaza said:
Runs at a relatively steady 60 on mine. There are dips and hiccups, but it's certainly not 20fps.

The demo version never ever hits 60fps on mine. It's trying to run at 30fps but dips ALL THE TIME to like 15-20fps.

Bebpo

Banned
Ryck said:
Madden it looks WAY better in 720p ( my Tv scales it to 1080i ) but the lighting looks better...it's almost as if some of the lighting effects are cut back ( or turned off) when it's in 1080i. The framerate is also improved in 720p. It is sharper in 1080 but that isn't exactly good as it makes certain flaws more noticable ( jaggies n such)

Might just be your TV. I just tried Madden on 480p/720p/1080i and the lighting in all three was identical. 480p might've had a slightly better framerate but that's probably just the progressive vs. interlaced thing. My TV converts 720p->1080i and 1080i looked just like 720p except a little sharper (though the screen tearing seemed to occur at different spots on 1080i vs. 720p).

golem

Bebpo said:
The demo version never ever hits 60fps on mine. It's trying to run at 30fps but dips ALL THE TIME to like 15-20fps.
yeah the NFS demo runs really poorly on my system.... Live 360 sucks too.

Not sure if this is the right thread of it this was mentioned before. Can anyone confirmed that you can use the wired 360 controller with your PC? I'm thinking of picking one up. thanks

Bebpo

Banned
I was thinking, If a company has a really crappy game they plan on releasing and they're afraid the game will bomb they should add like a million points in achievements and make all the achievements extremely easy and quick to get. That way all the crazy people who fixate on their gametag will find out and go run and buy it just to get the points :p

VALIS

Bebpo said:
I was thinking, If a company has a really crappy game they plan on releasing and they're afraid the game will bomb they should add like a million points in achievements and make all the achievements extremely easy and quick to get. That way all the crazy people who fixate on their gametag will find out and go run and buy it just to get the points :p

I was wondering that myself, but it's possible that points have a maximum, too.

<gets up and turns 360 on>

Let's see...

Kameo - 1000
CoD 2 - 1000
PDZ - 1000
PGR3 - 900

I haven't unlocked anything in RR6, Condemned and NFS yet so I can't see their maximums. Seems like it's a 1000 point limit so far, though. And all arcade games appear to be 200 points.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
well developers might not want to give too much considering how much coding it would take. Look at NHL 2K6 for example. 5 achievements. Really really awful set of them too.

koam

I played the Xbox 360 at E3 and I was not very impressed.

I played it at Futureshop on the Microsoft Kiosks and was not impressed.

I just played it at my friend's house in 720p on his 52in Plasma, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT was that nice. Kameo looks amazing on a good setup, it's so detailed and vibrant.

Yusaku

There are minimums and maximum limits as far as the number of achievement and how much they're worth. NHL2k6 obviously represents the minimum, a good sign of lazy developers.

Beowvlf

Banned
Impressions upon playing the 360 at my neighbors last night:

First game on the docket was PGR3, which is undeniably gorgeous, but damn it all if I cannot stand how the game controls. I of course wasn't able to get that in-depth with it, but I was blown away at how identical it was to PGR2. The handling of the cars was near identical, with little to no further refinement, albeit it feels like they've stripped back a tiny bit of the arcadey-ness (which just furthers my distaste of the game). It never decides which type of game it wants to be, and resides in this awkward no-man's-land that tries to be both Burnout and Gran Turismo at once (to a degree), and fails at both. My neighbor doesn't have Live, so I couldn't try out the online stuff (this is why I feel reviewers need to judge games seperately on whether or not you can/will play online). I'm sure the multiplayer stuff is quite good though.

My impressions on the 360 so far were mixed, but I really tried to not let my pessimism take over. The next two games I tried didn't help though; at all. They were Madden and NBA Live. Call me high maintenance, but if this is next gen, then I pray EA goes bankrupt. I just came off PGR3, and ten minutes into each of these two I was simply shaking my head. Both games look fairly solid (though the animations don't fit with the crisper visuals), but the disappointment was immediately apparent. Madden 360 simply didn't impress me on the same level that NFL 2k or Madden 2001 did way back when. I ended up only playing these two, combined, for about 30 minutes of the 7 and a half hours or so (!! I know) I was over there. Admittedly I'm not a sports gamer though, so I concede my opinion here is of little worth.

The next game made me eat a nice handful of crow. Call of Duty 2. I've been hard on the game over the past week or so ever since I was ridiculously disappointed at the kiosk demo, but I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It ain't gorgeous, high-end PC at best, but some of the effects are real nice (the smoke is sex), and the atmosphere is great as usual in WWII games done right. I still don't think it deserves the scores it's been getting, because at the end of the day it really is just another WWII shooter with little new to offer, but it is fun, and is a solid launch title.

Next up was Kameo (Rare lovers steer clear), and it was probably the most underwhelming title I tried. My neighbor had specifically rented it for that night for the both of us, and I'm pretty sure he was glad it was just a rental. The awful controls jumped out initially, because I didn't remember them being this bad on the kiosk demo. The visuals are certainly nice, but are woefully inconsistent. Some sections look oh-so-wonderful, even absurdly brilliant at times, but others look straight up shameful. In the end though, none of that mattered as much as the disappointing gameplay. It was surprisingly simplistic, and barely meets the standards of this gen, let alone next. It's obvious this game is a byproduct of current gen development; problem is it never should have been upped to the 360 IMO.

Next up was the best game of the bunch, and my pick for best launch title, in Ridge Racer 6. To me (a non-hardcore but decent Ridge fan) 6 feels almost exactly like the PSP version I adore, and it is ridiculously and wickedly smooth. Like silk I'm telling ya's! I played for probably close to 2 hours, getting some good time in the faster class 3 and 4 cars (as Bebpo encouraged me to do in another thread). I can understand why the game isn't seeing the greatest reviews though, as it doesn't seem to evolve much beyond the PSP version. If Namco can deliver a Ridge Racer 6 Ultimate or whatever at the PS3 launch, I will be in heaven. Everyone who bought a 360 needs to get this game.

Last up was PDZ, which I'm not going to say much about because I hated it and it's the last game I'm talking about (don't want to take away from the games I enjoyed). Again, no Live meant no online, but the singleplayer portion of this game is barely a 5-6/10 IMO. I got up to the 4th level I think, and by then it was getting quite late, and I was sick of the game. The visuals are very nice in a technical sense, but are far too shiny and completely devoid of personality. The controls are meh, the A.I is at best barely passable and at worst pathetically stupid (I cannot believe the reviews didn't mention this!!), and the level design is uninspired and hastily thrown together. No more on that.

Overall, I'm not going to snag a system for myself just yet, but I did come away more impressed than I thought I'd be, mostly due to both CoD2 and, especially, RR6. I wouldn't call the others bad (well, actually, Kameo and PDZ are pretty damn underwhelming), it's just I don't see how anyone can justify playing those over the upteen amount of other games released this Fall that are so much damn better. Bottom line, I'll be over at my neighbor's house another 3-4 times this week for some more RR6 loving I'm sure. I guess it just depends whether or not he's there to let me in, or whether I'll have to, you know, break in myself.

Yeah. :D

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I am absolutely loving my 360. 1080i resolution, Xbox live intergration, PDZ co-op, Xbox Live Arcade, Call of Duty 2 multiplayer, etc.

It's going to be tough to go back to current gen for MGS3:SS and Zelda.

robochimp

I've been really impressed with the Xbox 360. There is one thing that I hope Nintendo copies with the revolution.

Achievement points, they would definately gives those old games new life.

EGM92 said:
Question about CoD2: Big Red One and CoD2 for the PC, are they the same game?

No, they're totally different. I beat Big Red One recently for Xbox and really enjoyed it. Great set pieces, fun gameplay. CoD2 for PC/X360 is different, just started CoD2 for 360 and am liking it so far...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
EGM92 said:
Question about CoD2: Big Red One and CoD2 for the PC, are they the same game?

Just to clarify, CoD2: BRO for the GCN, PS2, and Xbox 1 are NOT the same game as CoD2 for the PC and Xbox 360.

CoD2 (PC/X360) is the sequel to the original CoD (and its expansion) on the PC.

Whereas, if anything else, CoD: Finest Hour and CoD2: Big Red One are both console-exclusive side games.

3rdman

fartblast said:
Just a quick question about the Xbox 360 and turning it off and crap...

Are you not supposed to turn it on/off with a disc inside?

I don't have one, but I'm sure that MS would recommend that you do so. They made the same stipulation for the 1st Xbox...I always thought that the precaution was made to keep people from moving their consoles around with disks in the tray which could damage it.

I've ignored that recommendation since 11-15-01 on my (still running) Thompson drive without issue. I would, however, always remove it before moving it. Take that for what its worth.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
two line appraisals of games

(all played at 720p - i think this is SIGNIFICANT. I'm starting to think that without a HDTV, the jump just isn't that noticable in a lot of cases)

PD0 - voice acting is off putting, action is okay so far, graphics are better than i expected. Will try online, but not particularly convinced so far.

PGR - nice indeed, but i seem to have suddenly become crap at the game. Probably looking at the surroundings too much.

Ridge Racer - to my surprise, it feels a lot more fun that PGR. Will probably devote most my time to playing this. Looks nice and clean, feels great, a little too easy at the moment.

Condemned - i can see this getting old, but for the moment, it's pant wettingly fun. Sounds bad, but i couldn't stop thinking "holy crap, i can't wait for a RE game like this...."

CoD2 - man, this is the pick for me so far. Just so manic and fun.

So, all in all, not a bad line up so far.

golem

it was pointed out on AVSF that on some game boxes only 720P is indicated while on some 480p/720p/1080i are indicated... does that mean the game can render at 1080i natively? For my games, PDZ and PGR3 are 720 only, while 480p/720p/1080i shows up on the Condmened box..

I've had the boot-up / no signal thing now, too. I started the system, ejected the disc to swap it out, put in Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (to see if the awesome new controller makes this game playable...it almost does), and when the disc tray closed, the dashboard disappeared...then my TV said no signal. I rebooted and it was fine.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah, Kameo is hands down the best looking 360 game. Its a ton of fun, and the fights with the shadow spirits or whatever they are called are damn impressive.

Speevy

Banned
StoOgE said:
Yeah, Kameo is hands down the best looking 360 game. Its a ton of fun, and the fights with the shadow spirits or whatever they are called are damn impressive.

I have to differ there. Have you seen some of the lighting and environments in Condemned? There's even physics in that game, with papers blowing about.

PhatSaqs

Banned
StoOgE said:
I've done a complete 180 on this game.

Went from wishing I'd never bought it during the first 3-4 hours of gameplay to hot damn i'm loving this shit out of this game now 8 hours in. It's fun, addictive, and beautiful.

golem

after actually sitting down and playing the Kameo demo instead of just messing with it at a kiosk.. yeah i think i need to buy it, damnz u microsoft!

Yusaku

Speevy said:
I have to differ there. Have you seen some of the lighting and environments in Condemned? There's even physics in that game, with papers blowing about.

Condemned is cool, but it's nothing a decent PC couldn't do. Kameo scores pretty high in the technical department, but probably a 1 on the aesthetics. It looks like Zelda if every character was Tinkle.

Yusaku

golem said:
it was pointed out on AVSF that on some game boxes only 720P is indicated while on some 480p/720p/1080i are indicated... does that mean the game can render at 1080i natively? For my games, PDZ and PGR3 are 720 only, while 480p/720p/1080i shows up on the Condmened box..

For as long as games have had those little informative bubbles on the back they've been blatantly incorrect, confusing, or misleading. I don't believe any 360 game actually renders the game in 1080i.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
has anyone firgured out how to send a invite to a game?

I'm playing NBA2K6 and I'm sitting in a lobby. I go to my friends list and the option to send a game invite is grayed out.

Top Bottom