• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

KarishBHR said:
Is there a way to add friends via the web, and not on the 360?
no

also... anyone else install windows media connect and have it not be able to run properly?

the windows media connect service starts and then almost immediately stops.. i've even googled to find out if this was a common problem and apparently it's not...

aparisi2274

I have a quick question...

I am using 2 wireless controllers with my X360 and I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could see how much battery power is left on the controller via the X360 Dashboard... However when I log onto the dashboard, I cant find anything to tell me...

Does anyone know how I can check this? Or am I imagining things???

Thanks...

PS: Anyone else having issues with Madden X360 locking up on them?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
aparisi2274 said:
I have a quick question...

I am using 2 wireless controllers with my X360 and I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could see how much battery power is left on the controller via the X360 Dashboard... However when I log onto the dashboard, I cant find anything to tell me...

Does anyone know how I can check this? Or am I imagining things???

Thanks...

PS: Anyone else having issues with Madden X360 locking up on them?

To your PS: No.

To your first concern: yes. In-game, press the "button" button and then look at the top of the blade that shoots out.

yeah madden was locking up on me. only in two player and only when the second player would try and view their play . it wouldnt let you hike unless you pressed the L and R triggers over and over again. pretty weird

aparisi2274

truffleshuffle83 said:
yeah madden was locking up on me. only in two player and only when the second player would try and view their play . it wouldnt let you hike unless you pressed the L and R triggers over and over again. pretty weird

Madden is locking up when playing 2 players, and if my friend hits the L or R trigger, it sometimes locks up... Or he can hike the ball and right when he is about to pass it locks up... I am going to bring it back and get a new one... Just wanted to make sure it wasnt my system...

DHGamer

Quick impressions after 3 days:

EA Team themes -avoid these like the plague. All they are is one photo of the teams stadium with their name imposed over it. WTH EA! Note to Microsoft.. we need previews or thats the last one of these themes/icons I buy ever.

Mutant Storm -awesome game and a great way to listen to your custom music. Number 3 game in time spent so far.

Kameo Winter pack -unlike the EA theme I actually like this. Each character gets a Christmas theme skin and the ones I've seen so far are nice, especially Kameo ooolala :p

PDZero -So far after about 3 hours I'm just not feeling this one (offline). The aim has a lag to it and I can't stand games that don't use VSync! Seriously, it ruins the immersion factor no matter how pretty the graphics. There's also alot of times where I'm standing there wondering who is shooting at me. Too much chaos compared to Halo I guess.

PGR 3 -Excellent, no disappointment here at all. My second most played game.

Kameo -My number one game and I almost passed on it. From the screenshots I was getting a Sudeki artwork feel which I hated. However the game is actually very nice looking and smooth as hell. Riding horseback thru thousands of orcs rocks. Plenty of puzzle type situations (think Lost Vikings on SNES) and great action are keeping me glued.

Madden -ehh, where to start. Player shape, stadiums (when they're not DOF blurred out), and lighting are great. VSync issues arise again here too although not nearly as bad as PDZ. A very bare bones first issue missing many things but also some really stupid stuff that should of been there like... Camera control: one camera or hit a button to zoom out. You zoomed out? Ut-Oh, you can't zoom back in before you snap the ball. WTF. That right there screams rush job. Less presentation value than the last-gen version. The radio announcer should be clearer also. They tried to hard and instead he sounds like some nasily guy broadcasting from the other side of the world. I should also mention that many players that don't have face scans seem to be using either Burt Reynolds face or the Unibrow guy from the OC. There's more but I'm moving on.

NBA Live -Not a basketball fan at all. Matter of fact this is the very first BBall game I've ever purchased :) But, I'm having much more fun with this one than Madden and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Sidenote to EA: make the Fonts in your games bigger! Not everyone is using a 50" TV or sitting 6 feet away. Thank you.

Tiger Woods -Always disliked this game for two reasons.. the putting line and the over-saturated colors. Thankfully both are gone and this game looks much more professional. Course are incredibly detailed and colors are "Links-like" natural shades. As with all EA sports games, the fonts are tooooo small.

Call of Duty 2 - This is tied for 2nd in playtime. We finally get a PC calibur COD for consoles and it looks excellent too. Sound work is A+ and aiming is much better than PDZ. Between the two I'd pick this one first no hesistation.

Need For Speed MW -Nice looking game but it also suffers from Vsync issues. Again though, it's not nearly as bad as PDZ in that department. The cars and customization are great as to be expected but the police chases are actually alot more fun than I imagined. I'm a big fan of the Underground series but this ones my favorite of the three. The stylized approach they took with cut scenes adds a nice touch. If I had a complaint it's only a minor one: the games color is a bit too yellowy and damn that sun glare when you round a corner :lol

Gun - yeah, yeah I bought this. And no, I'm not sure why either. I'm only 3 missions in and having fun though. Horse riding is done very well as is the gunplay. The AA and 720p add alot to the look of the graphics and world is actually pretty nice looking. Honestly if Saints Row (another free roamer) was out I would of picked that one instead but hey, for what it is ( a short quick spruiced up port) I still like it... so far.

System problems - *shudder* I've had 2 problems so far. One being I had a freeze during the opening level of Halo 2. Neither the console or the power supply was even warm though so I dunno there. The other was something a poster above me mentioned. The only time I booted up without a game in the drive my TV complained about "No Signal". A quick reboot corrected that but again I'm not sure WTH happened there.

System positives - Love the dashboard, Live, Arcade, the whole package really. It's a great looking console that's even better looking and smaller in person. The controller is absolutly the most comfortable controller I've ever held barring one problem. My up direction on the pad makes a audible click and requires a harder press to register. Shades of PSP square button.

Never bought the original xbox until 2 years ago and my dvd tray refused to open shortly after. With that in mind and the fact that my launch PS2 has been flawless I figured I'd pick this one up at launch too. So far no regrets. Can't wait to fire up Oblivian and Saints Row next year.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Damn the first thing i was gonna do when my 360 comes in next week was buy the eagles theme.

truffleshuffle83 said:
2. in pgr in online career if you try and push the center button on the controller while waiting for the others to join or the game to start, it locks the console and you have to manually reboot (as in get up and turn off the console) :(

Same thing happened to me. This is the only issue I've had and I'm glad it's a known glitch and not something wrong with the system like the other's I've heard. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with my 360!

Bebpo

Banned
Reilly said:
What's VSync?

It locks the refresh rate IIRC. Basically it elimates screen-tearing. 99% of console games have it turned on so screen-tearing (where you see a line kind of ripping across the screen horizontally) tends to be rare on consoles (Jak II had it). Madden and PDZ are lame and the developers were too lazy to make up for the performance it costs so they left it 'off' and we get crappy screen tearing in both (though Madden is like 10x worse in the tearing than PDZ). All the rest of the X360 games have VSync on from what I can tell and people have mentioned.

Hopefully the amount of games with VSync off stays at around 1-3% like last gen and never becames a norm. I'll live with your crappy 30fps, but don't give me 30fps+VSync off you jerks.

Prine

Banned
I might have to settle for a retard pack+HDD. Im so desperate i think i might go ahead and give my import source the ok. Im buying the Headset seperatly and wireless control pad seperatly too.

At least that means i'll be Next Gen gaming by monday

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The Faceless Master said:
no

also... anyone else install windows media connect and have it not be able to run properly?

the windows media connect service starts and then almost immediately stops.. i've even googled to find out if this was a common problem and apparently it's not...

it's a thread about this. you got to go into the services and turn it on.
search the board and it should pull up the thread.

Yeah the No Vsync on Madden 360 is terrible. It embarrases me to show it off to my friends as they point that shit out. Other than that the game is great.
They do need to allow us to view the themes before we purchase it. Stupid EA.

quick question how long does it take to charge a controller with the play and charge kit?

and do the rechargable battery packs come charged?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
just so everyone knows, Geometry Wars 2 is the best launch title.

I've hardly played anything else (hardly had time actually due to work)

sgt

I have 2 gripes about the media features.

1) I can play .AAC files all day if I connect my iPod, but it cannot stream them from my PC. This makes me sad.

2) Is it just me or can you not play video files (of ANY format) from anything but the 360 HD period? I've tried network, flash drive and a DVD loaded with various wmv's and mpegs.

Other than that, I'm very pleased! It is a nice little media box indeed. I'm really impressed with the quality of the DVD player. It is very comparable (if not just as good) as playing dvd's through my HTPC with FFDShow post processing. I was awestruck.

Raiden

Banned
Ok i hope i didnt make the biggest mistake in my..well for this month.

Since Dec 2 is coming close and i realised i had to do this gamecard shit, so i went to xbox.be, My gamecard, create gamecard, signed in with my email, then it asked for my age...now i accidentally typed in 27/12/87, wich is correct except the year, now every time i try to sign in it says "Due your age you cannot sign in". I have this everytime now, what do i do? :lol

Yusaku

sgt said:
I have 2 gripes about the media features.

1) I can play .AAC files all day if I connect my iPod, but it cannot stream them from my PC. This makes me sad.

2) Is it just me or can you not play video files (of ANY format) from anything but the 360 HD period? I've tried network, flash drive and a DVD loaded with various wmv's and mpegs.

I would really hope by now that everyone would know that if you want to stream video you need a Windows Media Center PC, and even then you're severely limited in your codec options.

ghostmind

It took about 4 hours to charge my P&C battery (and while I was using the controller for about half that period). My battery did not come fully charged.

Raiden said:
Ok i hope i didnt make the biggest mistake in my..well for this month.

Since Dec 2 is coming close and i realised i had to do this gamecard shit, so i went to xbox.be, My gamecard, create gamecard, signed in with my email, then it asked for my age...now i accidentally typed in 27/12/87, wich is correct except the year, now every time i try to sign in it says "Due your age you cannot sign in". I have this everytime now, what do i do? :lol

Clear your cookies and start over.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So who's getting the MS warranty? I'm debating on whether or not I should bother. I wouldn't have a problem if they didn't require that you send it within 10 days of purchase; I'd just wait a few weeks until I had some more money. But of course, after buying a $400 console and several games and accessories, they want you to drop another $60 ASAP.

Bebpo

Banned
vatstep said:
So who's getting the MS warranty? I'm debating on whether or not I should bother. I wouldn't have a problem if they didn't require that you send it within 10 days of purchase; I'd just wait a few weeks until I had some more money. But of course, after buying a $400 console and several games and accessories, they want you to drop another $60 ASAP.

If I hadn't bought it at Best Buy and bought the 2-year $50 warranty I'd have gone with it. With all the parts and heat in next-gen systems I'm guessing they will be more likely to die on us than current-gen systems...which is scary. I like the Best Buy one because after March or so when units start actually sitting on shelfs if anything breaks I can just bring it in and get a brand new one right away without sending anything. Plus its the same period of time and $10 cheaper. But if you didn't get it at Best Buy, I'd say go for it. The system is expensive enough, you don't want to be buying another one.

gstaff

just got back from thanksgiving in michigan and i have a 360 now.

HD question....

If I set the HDTV settings for 1080i, if I play a 720p game, will it set it to that for me? My TV supports both.

Any suggestions?

fugimax

Tried to find it in this thread, but I couldn't..

Does the play and charge kit require the 360 to be on for it to charge? If so, can I charge it using a USB port on a computer?

hgplayer1

gstaff said:
just got back from thanksgiving in michigan and i have a 360 now.

HD question....

If I set the HDTV settings for 1080i, if I play a 720p game, will it set it to that for me? My TV supports both.

Any suggestions?

the way I understand it from what others here have posted, you want to set the 360 to 720p and let the TV upscale to 1080i.

the way I understand it from what others here have posted, you want to set the 360 to 720p and let the TV upscale to 1080i.

At a minimum, for a game like PGR3, that is crazy. The 360 would scale the native 600p to 720p, then the TV would scale to 1080i. Double scaling = more lag and more artifacts.

Likewise, Arcade games are rendered in 1080i so again you would have double scaling.

For other games (that use a native 720p frame buffer, I doubt it's better either. While it's possible that some TVs would scale the image in a faster, more aesthetic manner, I'd be very surprised.

jobber said:
it's a thread about this. you got to go into the services and turn it on.
search the board and it should pull up the thread.
that's the second thing i tried (after uninstall/reinstall) and the service literally starts then stops again, and there's even a warning message that says the service started then stopped...

Bebpo

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
At a minimum, for a game like PGR3, that is crazy. The 360 would scale the native 600p to 720p, then the TV would scale to 1080i. Double scaling = more lag and more artifacts.

Likewise, Arcade games are rendered in 1080i so again you would have double scaling.

For other games (that use a native 720p frame buffer, I doubt it's better either. While it's possible that some TVs would scale the image in a faster, more aesthetic manner, I'd be very surprised.

Hmmm...well, when playing CoD2 on 720p it seems to have a slightly better framerate than on 1080i (hard to tell)...is this possible? Could the extra memory being taken up by the X360 scaler have an effect on game performance?

Bebpo said:
Hmmm...well, when playing CoD2 on 720p it seems to have a slightly better framerate than on 1080i (hard to tell)...is this possible? Could the extra memory being taken up by the X360 scaler have an effect on game performance?

If you're viewing that 720p feed on a display that shows an actual 720p output, the difference you're seeing is likely due to the progressive output showing you a truer-to-life smoothness in fast movement than the interlaced output. Just playing something in 480i and then right away playing the same game in 480p appears that way to me.

Bebpo

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
If you're viewing that 720p feed on a display that shows an actual 720p output, the difference you're seeing is likely due to the progressive output showing you a truer-to-life smoothness in fast movement than the interlaced output. Just playing something in 480i and then right away playing the same game in 480p appears that way to me.

But I'm viewing it on a CRT that converts 720p -> 1080i :p

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
shantyman said:
I am having a weird issue with my 360. Twice now, when I have turned it on, nothing appears on screen. The unit itself is powering up, but no video signal is going to the TV. Has this happened to anyone else?

Anyone???

Bebpo

Banned
Just tried the Need for Speed Demo.

--sub-20fps
--screen-tearing
--terrible graphics

Between this and the 30fps + screen-tearing in Madden it's like EA hates the X360 (or does understand how to program for it). I sure hope EA hasn't decided to turn VSync off for all their games from now on...SSX next-gen better not have screen-tearing.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
vatstep said:

I'll be buying it as soon as my system shows up.I'm not taking any chances after having both my original xbox's die.

amodf

I've had a 360 for a while but haven't had much time to play around with it. And I would like to say that Live Arcade is the best thing ever. Mutant Storm and Geometry Wars are both super awesome good, and they only cost $15! I bought 7 games at launch, and those are the only two I've really put much into. Go Live Arcade!

Also, someone beat my score on Mutant Storm. I want more reasons to go play some more.

so does anyone know when they are releasing more faceplates?? i want the carbon fiber one like the pgr3 one, but im not paying 100 bucks like the rest of those fools on ebay

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
truffleshuffle83 said:
so does anyone know when they are releasing more faceplates?? i want the carbon fiber one like the pgr3 one, but im not paying 100 bucks like the rest of those fools on ebay

from what i understand, that was a limited edition and will never be made publicly available :(

there was also just a plain carbon fiber one that looked sweet. i just want to know when more will be released. i like the hot rod and if the woody didnt have that damn red stripe id like it to. neither seem wrth 20 bucks to me though

fugimax said:
Tried to find it in this thread, but I couldn't..

Does the play and charge kit require the 360 to be on for it to charge? If so, can I charge it using a USB port on a computer?

Yep, the 360 has to be on for the controller to charge. You can plug it into your computer's USB and charge it that way, though. That's what I usually end up doing.

Top Bottom