• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Mario Strikers / Mario Smash Football Thread

SantaC

Well I picked up this game yesterday as it is out in europe, and I think that this Mario Sports title is actually quite good. Instead of making a soccer game and only slapping mario characters in it, they have actually managed to create their unique soccer(football) feel to it. It has a very arcadish feeling to it!

The playing field is pretty small, so the goal scoring is kinda high. There are lots of combo moves, and I am very fond the the slow motion passing move myself. As usuall you play through different cups, and unlock new stuff like characters and different stages. You can set your match timer between 2 minutes and 15 minutes. I am glad you have that the option to set the matches to 2 minutes only, it's perfect so the match never get boring.

I also like that the game has "striker" like rules (that game to snes). You can't shoot the ball over the lines, it will just bounce back from the walls! No offside, no throw in, no corners. Just go for it.

Well if you like soccer, and are tired of the "serious" soccer titles, this is quite fun. You can customize a lot, so you don't need to play with the super moves on if you don't like it. Mario's super move give you 2X goals etc.

Osorio

I played the demo and it was fantastic. It was really simple and easy to get into. The ball is pretty much magnetically attracted to your feet, and passes always find a teammate. It felt different because it was more flashy and aggressive. I was making scissor kick goals in a minute of play. Also, it was pretty chaotic between the items, and that devastating tackle. I personally found it as the arcade soccer title that FIFA Street wanted to be but wasn't.

Ristamar

The Super Mario Strikers demo reminded me a hell of a lot of Sega Soccer Slam (which was incredibly underrated/underappreciated) with on-field hazards. Can anyone elaborate on the differences between these two games?

Osorio

Ristamar said:
The Super Mario Strikers demo reminded me a hell of a lot of Sega Soccer Slam (which was incredibly underrated/underappreciated) with on-field hazards. Can anyone elaborate on the differences between these two games?
They should be similar as they have pretty much the same development team(?).

Ristamar said:

I think it's been said that some of the dev's who created Soccer Slam are now in the team that made Smash Football so you can see where some of the similarities come about. I've not played the game myself, but everyone seems to rave about how FUN the it is, i'll need to check it out at some point.

tt_deeb

<333 Sega Soccer Slam.

I'll keep an eye out for this one though I'll prob wait for a price drop like I've been doing for most games nowadays.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The presentation is excellent in this game. Much better than the sugar coated shittiness of Mario Party 5.

This game looks fun, and I've heard good things. However, the one thing I'm afraid of is if the game, like Mario Kart: DD, doesn't have too much replayability by oneself.

Emotions

Oblivion said:
The presentation is excellent in this game. Much better than the sugar coated shittiness of Mario Party 5.

This game looks fun, and I've heard good things. However, the one thing I'm afraid of is if the game, like Mario Kart: DD, doesn't have too much replayability by oneself.

I think there's nothing wrong with the mario parties they're good for what they are multiplayer board games, you can't compare it to mario strikers they're totally different the only similarity they have is that they're mario games, it's like comparing apple with oranges, IMO.
As for the second part i'm afraid of the same thing , replayability when you play as single player.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Emotions said:
I think there's nothing wrong with the mario parties they're good for what they are multiplayer board games, you can't compare it to mario strikers they're totally different the only similarity they have is that they're mario games, it's like comparing apple with oranges, IMO.

Actually, my comment was in reference to the presentation of Mario Party. Nothing about the gameplay (even though Mario Parties aren't very fun).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
It was not in the Top 40 this week ;__;

Bomba in UK
OMG! A GAMER WHO ALSO LIKES HIKARU NO GO!! I don't feel so alone anymore. :)

On-topic: It's not surprising since UK reviews bombed all over the game.

Top Bottom