• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
AirBrian said:
There's always the NAACP giving out crack/cocaine to people in Ohio for registering Democratic.

Both sides play dirty, always, in every election.

that was an isolated incident, the people who are paid to gather voter registrations get the money based on how many people they register. so some individuals will do crazy stuff like that like the crack thing. the problem with the republican party is that its happening on a massive scale not just a couple people here and there

AirBrian

Socreges said:
Thank you, Mandark and Bat.

AirBrian, yes, sure, right, both sides play dirty. You've illustrated that with one example. Brilliant, and all that. But I'm talking about degrees.
That's my misunderstanding. I read several posts in haste and took it as people saying that Democrats did not conduct in any type of questionable behaivor regarding the voting process.

However, yes that was one example off the top of my head, but there are others. In Texas, a very wealthy Democratic supporter is hiring lawyers to "work" voting lines to get people to change their minds (which I don't understand why, Kerry has no chance in Texas -- I'd take my money to a swing state). My point was simply to illistrate that Democrats play dirty too, and thinking otherwise is ignorant. But I'll give you the more wide-spread Republican dirty tactics. :p

MIMIC

Banned
The Associated Press will be the #1 source for election results:

AP Will Be Sole Source of Vote Count

NEW YORK - News organizations will be relying on The Associated Press for a quick and accurate count of votes cast in Tuesday's elections, from top of the ticket races like president, Senate and governor, down through state legislature.

The AP will use a network of nearly 5,000 stringers, who will be stationed at county election centers in every state. They will phone in results to one of several vote entry centers, where clerks will enter the numbers into AP's computerized tabulation system.

Those returns, from about 6,000 races in all, will then be delivered to newspapers, Web sites and broadcasters, including the television networks, in a variety of formats.

In recent elections, AP was one of two organizations collecting the vote nationwide. The other was Voter News Service, a consortium of AP and five television networks which also conducted exit polls. VNS was disbanded after it ran into problems in 2000 and 2002, and the networks turned to AP for vote counting, while hiring two veteran pollsters to conduct the exit polls.

AP's system has been enhanced this year with numerous safeguards to ensure a smooth and accurate operation.

"We've added more redundancy and quality control to an already well-established vote tallying operation," said John Reid, AP's senior vice president for Services & Technology. "For instance, AP's systems contain voting patterns from past elections, and if a number is outside of those parameters it's double-checked for accuracy."

Because a large number of voters are expected to cast absentee or provisional ballots, election officials may not finish tabulating their votes until several days after Nov. 2. AP will keep its system up and running as long as significant new totals are being reported.

AP, the world's oldest and largest newsgathering organization, has been counting the vote since its founding in 1848, when Zachary Taylor of the Whig Party defeated Democrat Lewis Cass.

AP provides content to more than 15,000 news outlets with a daily reach of 1 billion people around the world. Its multimedia services are distributed by satellite and the Internet to more than 120 nations.
Yahoo! News/AP

MIMIC

Banned
WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???...

wbay.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
MIMIC said:
WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???...

wbay.jpg

It's not uncommon to have pre-fab stories ready so you can "instantly" have the results. They probably have one for Kerry winning as well.

BUSHSPEAK!
Teh major funny. The best part is, this is nothing but clips of Bush talking, unedited, no commentary. He's that stupid.

"I know the human being and fish can co-exist peacefully"

Four more years. :(

Iceman

so I guess the whole Bush having an IQ in the mid 120s and Kerry having an IQ right at 120 thing has been posted by now right?

quin

it sucks for my mom but florida lost her absentee ballot so she can't vote but she was going to vote for bush sooo...... :p

quin

she never got it in the mail so either they never sent it or the post office could have lost it but she can't vote now

If it were to be Bush-Edwards(which would probably happen if a tie does occur)....there will be a lot of people out to get Bush. Sure beats Cheney taking over.

Matlock said:
If it's a tie, watch them pick Bush as the Prez, and Kerry as the VP, just to fuck with him.

VP has to be one of the top(edit-typo) THREE VP nominees who received the most EV votes. So it would either be Edwards or Cheney...unless some electors votes for a different candidate.

For President, it is between the top TWO candidates for President.

So let's say it is 269-269 EV Bush-Kerry tied.

But then let's say instead an elector votes for Nader Camejo and so now they have 1 elector.

The house would pick the president between Kerry-Bush....each state getting one vote(have to vote by state).

The senate would choose between Edwards/Cheney/Camejo for VP.

Just think a Bush/Camejo White House. :)

Matlock

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
VP has to be one of the top(edit-typo) THREE VP nominees who received the most EV votes. So it would either be Edwards or Cheney...unless some electors votes for a different candidate.

But then let's say instead an elector votes for Nader Camejo and so now they have 1 elector.

The house would pick the president between Kerry-Bush....each state getting one vote(have to vote by state).

Thanks for the clarification, but I was just being a jackass. ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sorry, post retracted after going to the 12th amendment to check something. It's not a tie that sends the vote to Congress.. it's the lack of majority.

Advice please:

What should I wear tomorrow?
1. The free "Axis of Evildoers" shirt I got. It's red and black, which I'm not too fond of.
2. Blue. I thought about doing face paint, but that would be going too far.

dick cheney, as mr. mccaulfie alluded to, is CLEARLY off his meds.

"We are standing just a few miles from Pearl Harbor, the site of a sudden attack ... Three years ago, America faced another sudden attack," Cheney told a Honolulu crowd estimated by his aides at 9,000, the vice president's biggest crowd at a campaign event.

Cheney said that "the clearest, most important difference in this campaign is simple to state: President Bush (news - web sites) understands the war on terror and has a strategy for winning it. John Kerry does not."

what a fucking jackass.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&e=7&u=/ap/20041101/ap_on_el_pr/cheney

"Now in the final days of this campaign, John Kerry is running around talking tough. He's trying every which way to cover up his record of weakness on national defense. But he can't do it. It won't work."

another doozer omitted from the gargoyle's mouth. hey, dick, why don't you tell the throng of supporters the amount of defense and military cuts you SPONSERED as sec. of defense?

MIMIC said:
Why the fuck is there an even number of electoral votes in the first place???
Chance, mostly. Electors being based on Senators and Representatives, there was increase for a long time. Eventually they capped the House at 435 Representatives, which added to any number of state's 2 senators would leave it odd... except for the D.C. wrench, where they get electors for the equivalent of 1 Representative and 2 Senators. Thus the even number of 538. I think if D.C. becomes a state then it will go down to 537, with the Representatives per state being recalculated.

MIMIC

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Chance, mostly. Electors being based on Senators and Representatives, there was increase for a long time. Eventually they capped the House at 435 Representatives, which added to any number of state's 2 senators would leave it odd... except for the D.C. wrench, where they get electors for the equivalent of 1 Representative and 2 Senators. Thus the even number of 538. I think if D.C. becomes a state then it will go down to 537, with the Representatives per state being recalculated.

Holy shit. I just realized that I forgot learning that in Government. :lol

Hitokage said:
Sorry, post retracted after going to the 12th amendment to check something. It's not a tie that sends the vote to Congress.. it's the lack of majority.

exactly. That's why it can be 269-268-1. Bush/Camejo it is.

Kettch

ErasureAcer said:

I think you have that backwards.

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two- thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Sorry to dash your hope for Camejo.;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It is also technically possible to end up with John Edwards as Preesident and John Edwards as Vice President.

If the vote were to go to Congress and the Senate picked Edwards but the House deadlocked (meaning, for whatever reason, the states either tie or not enough states can make a conclusive decision one way or the other for either canndidate to get 26 votes), then John Edwards is the Vice President but he also serves as the President as the top seat is effectively vacant until such time as the House gets its shit together and elects a President.

You American democracy at work.

Cyan

Banned
This should prove interesting. One of the statewide propositions on the ballot is a stupidity referendum. That is, you'll only vote for it if you're uninformed. The original proponents of it managed to get a better, more complete version on the ballot as well-- so there's absolutely no reason to vote for it.

The number of "yes" votes on this proposition should give us some idea of how many voters actually know what they're doing. My guess: 25% of Californians will vote yes, proving their lack of knowledge.

For other Californians-- I'm talking about Prop 65.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Cyan said:
This should prove interesting. One of the statewide propositions on the ballot is a stupidity referendum. That is, you'll only vote for it if you're uninformed. The original proponents of it managed to get a better, more complete version on the ballot as well-- so there's absolutely no reason to vote for it.

The number of "yes" votes on this proposition should give us some idea of how many voters actually know what they're doing. My guess: 25% of Californians will vote yes, proving their lack of knowledge.

What does Proposition 65 say?

Diablos

dynamitejim said:
"I know the human being and fish can co-exist peacefully"

Four more years. :(
Haha, then it goes to another speech and he says hunters are supposed to kill the birds. :lol

Dilbert

Cyan said:

I was just thinking that myself. ;)

Actually, I would kill to get the figures on the number of people who vote for BOTH Proposition 65 AND Proposition 1A. That would be comedy gold.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
-jinx- said:
I was just thinking that myself. ;)

Actually, I would kill to get the figures on the number of people who vote for BOTH Proposition 65 AND Proposition 1A. That would be comedy gold.

It's not as bad as Proposition 66, which was written and paid for by a millionaire just to get his son out of prison for killing two people with his car while he was drunk. Nevermind the thousands of murderers and rapists who'll be released at the same time.

If that passes, we'll need Batman to get them back in Arkham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom