• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Since lockdown I have been trying to use VR to get some cardio in, doing some beat saber or Pistol Whip. But the VRCover was out of stock for a long time which made the sweat issue gross for me. Now with that resolved I am trying to get some real VR workouts in.

I am doing the trial of Supernatural. The gameplay is a kind of basic Beat Saber rip off, but I do like that it's more structured and pushes you to do things that are physically exhausting. It gives you a full "class" or "routine" which I find works better than self-motivating, because it'll push me even when I'm tired.

Problem is the pricing structure kind of sucks, it's $20 a month. You do get new workouts daily, but I'd like if there was something that was buy once that had that kind of structure to it. Has anyone tried any other fitness programs?

Buggy Loop

Managed to get an elite strap with battery and carrying case at Best Buy Canada. Thinking about it, I wanted the elite strap, and wanted the case, the extra for battery is not outrageous and it apparently makes the headset even more balanced with the weight.

And since I am planning to setup a wifi 6 for wireless, that battery should be real helpful for long sessions.

Warplanes available on Sidequest

very, very impressive. Checking this tonight. Ultrawings devs took too long to reveal their next project, and this looks pretty much like what they were attempting, but seems to be a different studio...

check the other videos by the studio. These and others are originally mobile games, hope the others eventually get VR port too...

Last edited:

Romulus

What's even more sad is that people that are young haven't experienced this amazing tech, and most still believe VR is just "a screen close to your face."

nahld5ndzab61.png

I can imagine people in 20 years just discovering VR for the first time and being amazed after "hating" it for years without even actually trying real VR.

Last edited:

sainraja

How do you launch games when using the headset? My sister got hers recently and we were only able to start the games from the mobile phone app. What is with that?

Since lockdown I have been trying to use VR to get some cardio in, doing some beat saber or Pistol Whip. But the VRCover was out of stock for a long time which made the sweat issue gross for me. Now with that resolved I am trying to get some real VR workouts in.

I am doing the trial of Supernatural. The gameplay is a kind of basic Beat Saber rip off, but I do like that it's more structured and pushes you to do things that are physically exhausting. It gives you a full "class" or "routine" which I find works better than self-motivating, because it'll push me even when I'm tired.

Problem is the pricing structure kind of sucks, it's $20 a month. You do get new workouts daily, but I'd like if there was something that was buy once that had that kind of structure to it. Has anyone tried any other fitness programs?

For fitness specific apps, Supernatural is the best thing on the Oculus store that gives you a reliable, consistent workout. I use my Apple Watch to track my heartrate and calorie burn, and it does what it promises. I used to like BoxVR, too (when you cuold still add your own songs to it), but they ruined it and updated it to FitXR, which is a much worse experience.
Game-wise, Thrill of the Fight is a great workout. Beat Saber is pretty bad for fitness, unless you only play Expert+ and are able to get all the way through full songs.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I signed up for Shadow about a week ago and they have the activation set for Jan. 21st. This will be cool to try out. Kind of a remote/portable SteamVR you can use at friends and family's houses in tandem with Quest 2 local play.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I played death horizon tonight and wow, what an experience. Climbing pipes and hanging from elevator shifts while shooting at zombies was outstanding. I have a ps5 and have enjoyed it, but this experience was brand new and honestly more enjoyable.

I played death horizon tonight and wow, what an experience. Climbing pipes and hanging from elevator shifts while shooting at zombies was outstanding. I have a ps5 and have enjoyed it, but this experience was brand new and honestly more enjoyable.

Death Horizon is a solid good Quest game. Not complex level design, but there are a few secret entrances to spice it up a bit.

Warplanes available on Sidequest

very, very impressive. Checking this tonight. Ultrawings devs took too long to reveal their next project, and this looks pretty much like what they were attempting, but seems to be a different studio...

check the other videos by the studio. These and others are originally mobile games, hope the others eventually get VR port too...

this is seriously impressive for a Quest game. Terrain texture too good, same for cockpit, the explosions, smoke and cloud are good enough and the VR interactions are pretty awesome.

for now, the flight model has no loops, but the devs are considering it. Also, it seems at least on these early stages in the video to be about just shooting without worrying getting shot down.

Checking this today.

I've had my Quest 2 for 2 days now and I'm completely blown away. I love it. I absolutely love it!

I'm still getting my head around this device and everything it can do but so far it's been overwhelmingly positive. I find it hard to express in words just how amazing some of these VR experiences are, and I haven't played any of the good stuff yet!

My last VR experience was the DK2 ... VR has come a long way since then :)

For example, I just can't put into words just how surreal it is to be IN Doom 3. If you were gaming back when Doom 3 came out and you played it back then and now you're playing it again after all these years but in VR... you have to experience it to understand.

Also, it turns out that I got Asgard's Wrath for free. Never even heard of this game before but checked it out because now it's mine and it looks cool as fuck. I went to install it and it said 137GB! People were telling me that VR games were small. WTF lol

MarlboroRed

For example, I just can't put into words just how surreal it is to be IN Doom 3. If you were gaming back when Doom 3 came out and you played it back then and now you're playing it again after all these years but in VR... you have to experience it to understand.
Getting so giddy hearing sentiments like yours. Been gaming for over 20 years, and I'm getting the sense that VR will be the first time in a looong time where I'll be blown away by the experience. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, and I'm kinda glad I held off until now.

My Reverb G2 should be here by wednesday, can't wait!

I've had my Quest 2 for 2 days now and I'm completely blown away. I love it. I absolutely love it!

I'm still getting my head around this device and everything it can do but so far it's been overwhelmingly positive. I find it hard to express in words just how amazing some of these VR experiences are, and I haven't played any of the good stuff yet!

My last VR experience was the DK2 ... VR has come a long way since then :)

Also, it turns out that I got Asgard's Wrath for free. Never even heard of this game before but checked it out because now it's mine and it looks cool as fuck. I went to install it and it said 137GB! People were telling me that VR games were small. WTF lol
You got Asgard's wrath for free? Wish I did with my used CV1. It's on my wishlist and isn't cheap. Looks dope.

MarlboroRed

I'm sorry too keep hijacking this thread with non-Quest related VR stuff, but man.. this is comedic gold right here.

I just had to share it with you guys in case you haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Anyone try using the link system to connect a quest 2 to a pc? How well does it work? I’ve been debating if I want to get one so I can play phasmophobia in VR

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone try using the link system to connect a quest 2 to a pc? How well does it work? I’ve been debating if I want to get one so I can play phasmophobia in VR
The link works great But if you have decent WiFi then virtual desktop is amazing.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Getting so giddy hearing sentiments like yours. Been gaming for over 20 years, and I'm getting the sense that VR will be the first time in a looong time where I'll be blown away by the experience. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, and I'm kinda glad I held off until now.

I have been gaming since the early 80's. Quest 2 is a big evolution in gaming. I barely touch my ps4 and switch now. It blows me away every time I play. Population one is a great FPS with a good community and fun.

I just signed up to Shadow PC today and it says it will be activated August 30, 2021. Erm ok but is this how long I'm going to have to wait? I'm from the UK if that helps.

Romulus

I have been gaming since the early 80's. Quest 2 is a big evolution in gaming. I barely touch my ps4 and switch now. It blows me away every time I play. Population one is a great FPS with a good community and fun.

Gaming since the 80s for me, and VR is really the only leap in gaming I've ever experienced. Everything was a baby step, even from 2d to 3d is small compared to VR. It's been fun having people over my age for the last 20 years and them being kinda "meh" to everything I've shown them, PC gaming, console, whatever. VR was the only time I got across the board "holy shit" reactions from everyone.

Last edited:
I'm sorry too keep hijacking this thread with non-Quest related VR stuff, but man.. this is comedic gold right here.

I just had to share it with you guys in case you haven't seen it yet.

it's hard to roleplay a 40s cop when you just let VR players discover motion tracking in front of a mirror

other than that, L.A. Noire VR case files is one of the best VR ports around, despite not porting the full game missions. Still, all the map is there to be explored, there's boxing, racing and shooting range events and the VR interactions are pretty native VR stuff. The studio responsible for it is working on another VR project for R*. I want to hear more about it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’ve been gaming since gaming began but I can’t be bothered playing flat games anymore. The Quest 2 is true next gen gaming.

I was looking forward to PS5 and it’s VR solution but if it’s not wireless then I won’t bother.

Hope you enjoy it. The Quest 2's resolution was already a bit higher than I was expecting and the G2's is even higher. I was surprised that viewing virtual displays was already so readable. I had it in my head for some reaon that spawnig 3 virtual displays would result in a blurry mess that looks like 360p.... but it wasn't. It's not human eye resolution yet but it already works and works well. You're gonna be impressed!

You got Asgard's wrath for free? Wish I did with my used CV1. It's on my wishlist and isn't cheap. Looks dope.

Yeah, I had to look it up after to see why it was in my library.

"And to celebrate Link’s first birthday, we’re giving away a gift to kickstart the experience for new users*. From November 20 through January 31, anyone who activates a new Quest 2 and then uses it with a Link cable will get Asgard’s Wrath, one of our top PC VR titles, for free."

OK here's my impressions so far of Link Cable vs Virtual Desktop ... Virtual Desktop works extremely well. I'm not seeing ANY compression artifacts. It looks just like when I'm using my cable. It also comes with a tool that lets you monitor the latency. It comes with a lot of options to tweak if you need them. I've got an old Wifi 5 router ( 5.1Ghz ) and it's measuring total latency that fluctuates between 40 and 50 ms. Apparently with a Wifi 6 router you can get that down to fluctuate between 25 and 35 ms.

My experience of 50ms latency is that it's just barely detectable. Everything I've tried so far has been completely playable. Not just "playable", but easily playable and enjoyable. But there is a very slight difference between Link Cable and totally Wireless. Everyone experiences latency differently, some are more or less sensitive to it. But I think I'm going to be using Virtual Desktop for 90%+ of all my VR going forward. Virtual Desktop is so good that it's kind of annoying. Feel like I just wasted $75 of the link cable lol But I may still use the cable for seated experiences where I want the latency to be as low as possible, like a racing game.

Also, I had a problem when I first installed my link cable ( the expensive official one from Oculus ). It measures the bandwidth and it was detecting the connection as only USB 2.0. This is not good enough for anything. I've got an X570 Mobo and one USB C port on the back that says "VR Ready" next to it so this was puzzling. There are plenty of reports online of others having this same problem. But I solved it after about 10 minutes. The thing that solved it for me was just unplugging the cable from the back of my computer, turning it the other way and plugging it back in. I thought USB C was reversible, but apparently in this case it cared which way I plugged it in.

I think most people will prefer Virtual Desktop over Link Cable. $20 well spent IMO.

ALSO, if you are going to buy Virtual Desktop DON'T buy it from Steam. The Steam version LOOKS the same but it's not and won't do wireless streaming.

Codes 208

OK here's my impressions so far of Link Cable vs Virtual Desktop ... Virtual Desktop works extremely well. I'm not seeing ANY compression artifacts. It looks just like when I'm using my cable. It also comes with a tool that lets you monitor the latency. It comes with a lot of options to tweak if you need them. I've got an old Wifi 5 router ( 5.1Ghz ) and it's measuring total latency that fluctuates between 40 and 50 ms. Apparently with a Wifi 6 router you can get that down to fluctuate between 25 and 35 ms.

My experience of 50ms latency is that it's just barely detectable. Everything I've tried so far has been completely playable. Not just "playable", but easily playable and enjoyable. But there is a very slight difference between Link Cable and totally Wireless. Everyone experiences latency differently, some are more or less sensitive to it. But I think I'm going to be using Virtual Desktop for 90%+ of all my VR going forward. Virtual Desktop is so good that it's kind of annoying. Feel like I just wasted $75 of the link cable lol But I may still use the cable for seated experiences where I want the latency to be as low as possible, like a racing game.

Also, I had a problem when I first installed my link cable ( the expensive official one from Oculus ). It measures the bandwidth and it was detecting the connection as only USB 2.0. This is not good enough for anything. I've got an X570 Mobo and one USB C port on the back that says "VR Ready" next to it so this was puzzling. There are plenty of reports online of others having this same problem. But I solved it after about 10 minutes. The thing that solved it for me was just unplugging the cable from the back of my computer, turning it the other way and plugging it back in. I thought USB C was reversible, but apparently in this case it cared which way I plugged it in.

I think most people will prefer Virtual Desktop over Link Cable. $20 well spent IMO.

ALSO, if you are going to buy Virtual Desktop DON'T buy it from Steam. The Steam version LOOKS the same but it's not and won't do wireless streaming.
Ah, fair enough! Is the virtual desktop a type of hardware I can buy on Amazon or is it a program?

Romulus

This is why VR games will not only have the advantage in immersion but visuals too within a few years.

Monitors and TVs cannot replicate this horsepower saving technology.

Buggy Loop

This is why VR games will not only have the advantage in immersion but visuals too within a few years.

Monitors and TVs cannot replicate this horsepower saving technology.

Honestly, having Abrash & Carmack is a guarantee that Oculus will be ahead in VR field for years to come.

This entire presentation, combined with yours, pictures where VR is heading in the near future. The Half Dome 3 is mind blowing tech, the avatar facial recognition is witchcraft, then add ML and FOVEated rendering and yea, it'll be mind blowing stuffs.

I'm already so blown away by Quest 2, they already have my money for Quest 3 and beyond.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It's just an app ( that costs $20 ). The only hardware you need is a Wifi 5 router ( the 5.2 Ghz channel not the 2.4 Ghz ) or preferably a Wifi 6 router.
Sweet, one last question, would this allow me to play in another room from my pc as long as I’m connected to the WiFi?

Sweet, one last question, would this allow me to play in another room from my pc as long as I’m connected to the WiFi?
It doesn't really matter where your PC is. It matters where your Wifi router is. You're supposed to be as close to your router as possible to minimize latency. I haven't tested it in another room yet. Maybe you can totally play in the next room over. I'll test it later.

You're also supposed to have your PC connected to your router with an Ethernet cable, not Wifi ( probably also to minimize latency ).

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I use the Quest 2 on a Netgear Nighthawk router with a dedicated 5G channel for my gaming. PC is connected via ethernet. I recently tested Beat Saber via local, wired oculus link, and virtual desktop wireless. Wireless right next to the router works great. It's still functional in a bedroom through a couple walls, but the latency becomes an issue when playing on Ex+ difficulty. Doesn't matter where your PC is in the house as long as it's ethernet connection.

Doing the whole setup using WiFi for both the PC and Quest 2 is going to rely on the quality of the router, strength of signal, and quality of WiFi card on your PC. You could use a WiFi signal strength app to get an idea of deadzones and acceptable play areas.

cyberheater

Thinking about it. Virtual desktop is a minor miracle. Makes me wonder how much it’s driven sales and a what point will Oculus will integrate the technology.

Thinking about it. Virtual desktop is a minor miracle. Makes me wonder how much it’s driven sales and a what point will Oculus will integrate the technology.

integrate? to be called anti-competitive, cheater, break up Facebook?

I'm already annoyed enough that they can't offer a real big screen by default for 2D content so that that indie product can have a chance...

Yeah it's so strange.

Oculus is literally on the bleeding edge of inside out tracking and also hand tracking, but it's just some random app that brings wireless PCVR to the Quest 2?! Why doesn't Oculus have their own ( and probably superior) native solution?

Regardless, as you said, Virtual Desktop is a miracle considering wireless VR via WiFi was considered impossible not that long ago. Exotic/expensive tech had to be invented just to do wireless VR. The Vive wireless adapter cost $300.

Turns out you just need Wifi :messenger_winking_tongue:

Whoa, Warplanes already updated with realistic flight model - you can now do loops and barrel rolls!

and some comfort options - not sure weakly gutted people should be playing anyway but hey

bought it on itch.io

Last edited:
Playing in vr feels a lot like playing Mario 64 for the first time.

yup. That was total immersion in tv gaming back then, you could see your avatar from every angle - now you don't need an avatar and it's total immersion in the game world. Still blows my mind even 3 years later.

Doom 3 is too good in VR... I think this is the secret origin of Dead Space, isn't it?

Warplanes is damn good:

not recorded here because I hate recording on Quest (audio lags, gameplay stutters, no mic) but enemies do fight back (not in the demo), those ships can quickly shoot you down and it can become pretty challenging. You can fly close to ground (and surprisingly the ground textures get better resolution) and even below those bridges. I was impressed enough when I saw this town that I had to record it.

Truly awesome game, and far more immersive than the 3 missions in Ace Combat 7 on psvr with gamepad. And not much worse graphics either... the flight model is very simplistic and arcade, even with realistic enabled, but plenty good for the kind of game here.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I saw one of these pop up on Amazon today for same day delivery so I will have one shortly. I ordered the improved strap elsewhere. I can't find the Oculus Link Cable available anywhere. Is there another cable I can use and can anyone link to a recommendation if possible.

Edit: NM, found one for sale at Gamestop.

Last edited:

Romulus

Playing in vr feels a lot like playing Mario 64 for the first time.

I remember so many people getting hate for saying that about Astrobot on PSVR. People who haven't used good VR games I'm sure doing the talking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom