• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest is turning your Home Screen into VR Chat

ManaByte

Gold Member

A short introduction demo for Horizon Home is included in Quest v37, which is only available to those that have opted into the Public Test Channel via the app. It doesn’t actually let you invite other friends into your Home space yet, but it does show you everything you can do with others inside Horizon Home and how you’ll add friends into spaces too. We’ve got a quick glimpse of the demo below.

You will also be able to define a room with walls and a ceiling, so a Holodeck:

All hail Lord Carmack

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nothing by Facebook is going to be as open and robust and fun as VRChat can be and their whole Horizon direction seems completely devoid of soul like it's Zuck-the-robot himself designing it. This is barely reaching for the old Oculus Home PC VR functionality. Carmack is just Consulting CTO.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nothing Facebook will ever do is going to be as open and robust and fun as VRChat can be and their whole Horizon direction seems completely devoid of soul like it's Zuck-the-robot himself designing it. This is barely reaching for the old Oculus Home PC VR functionality.

You are blaspheming Lord Carmack

Kev Kev

This is really fucking cool. The idea that you can set your own space according to the room your in (and then I assume you’ll eventually be able to change the look and design it and so forth) sounds fun as hell to me.

The you’ll be able to invite people into your room and hang? The future is fucking rad.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Took him years, but the mad lad will finally make his Holodeck.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The you’ll be able to invite people into your room and hang? The future is fucking rad.

I must be old AF, because I don't understand why people would want to hang out in a VR room and chat, rather than a room in the real world or down the pub.

The Metaverse future scares the shit out of me. People will be more invested in their fake, VR worlds than actual reality.

In a few years you'll have devices that are created that ensure you stay connected for as long as possible. Feeding tubs for liquid and food so you never have to leave to make food. Attachments that connects to your ass hole and dick so you never have to disconnect to take a shit or piss for hours upon hours. A connected treadmill so your physical body doesn't die........

The future is shit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nothing by Facebook is going to be as open and robust and fun as VRChat can be and their whole Horizon direction seems completely devoid of soul like it's Zuck-the-robot himself designing it. This is barely reaching for the old Oculus Home PC VR functionality. Carmack is just Consulting CTO.

They might be going for the VR Zoom instead for business and tech meetings. VR Chat isn't really going to capture that market.

Kev Kev

I must be old AF, because I don't understand why people would want to hang out in a VR room and chat, rather than a room in the real world or down the pub.

The Metaverse future scares the shit out of me. People will be more invested in their fake, VR worlds than actual reality.

In a few years you'll have devices that are created that ensure you stay connected for as long as possible. Feeding tubs for liquid and food so you never have to leave to make food. Attachments that connects to your ass hole and dick so you never have to disconnect to take a shit or piss for hours upon hours. A connected treadmill so your physical body doesn't die........

The future is shit.
Shut up and go smell the flowers old man

Deft Beck

As someone who plays VRChat regularly, it's not a replacement for reality. It's the kind of world that people want as an escape. Somewhere they can meet like minded people not bound by physical distance. It's a common ground for people who don't fit into regular society or otherwise want a way to express themselves in a place without judgment.

Facebook's version of VRChat wants to be reality plus advertisements. Somewhere you are as close to your actual self as possible so that advertisers can better sell you products and keep you in their ad bubbles. It lacks imagination and lacks many of the reasons why VRChat is so compelling for so many people.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

At least I'll be smelling real flowers in the physical world. You'll be smelling your own shit and piss in a fake VR world.........kid.

lane kiffin roll GIF

Top Bottom