• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer |OT| Blade Walker

Exentryk

I have the same gpu and im running at the same resolution. The fps is jumping around from as low as 20fps to 60fps.

Running at these settings: (Spoiler for screenshots about 90 min into the game)

Yeah, the framerate does drop at various points to below 60, but it still feels smooth enough to not be distracting to me. I'm just running it on default High settings at 1440p. The game looks really good, so fair enough if it needs a better graphics card for locked 60 performance.

I'm loving this game.

Curiously, it feels like, of all things, Cryostasis.
giphy.gif

Any reason you get those vibes?

giphy.gif

Any reason you get those vibes?

Just the mix of real-world/unsettling dreamworld in Observer syncing with the flashback elements in Cryostasis. I mean, Observer lacks the combat, but they both have this incredible physicality to both the tangible player world and the oneiric one.

Tell you what else it reminds me of, and that's Cradle. Has a similar level of environmental intrigue. I usually run out of patience sifting through detritus, but both in Cradle and here, I love traipsing around and just looking at things.

Gaplanet

Just got to a point where
the monster hunts you in the third (2nd main) Dream Eater sequence. Those kids screaming as you walk with the tv monitor holy crap. The monster part was freaking cool too. Not too frustrating because so easy and short. Yea, F U Outlast 2

Exentryk

Yeah, that P.T. nod was pretty cool!

Made some more progress and encountered that
run away from monster part in the offices.
Not a fan of this type of gameplay, but at least it was short. Other than that, the wtf moments have been all really good. The devs did start to reuse some stuff, like
dancing music and people
, etc.

In terms of story, I feel like I'm getting close to the end. Have to
track the killer from his blood now.
I also have a side quest (
Nosy Neighbours
) which is still incomplete, but I can't seem to find a way to
unlock the safe, yet
. And I also saw a
room in the basement that needed a key code to access. I haven't been to the top most floor,
so perhaps I should do that first before progressing the main story.

Tell you what else it reminds me of, and that's Cradle. Has a similar level of environmental intrigue. I usually run out of patience sifting through detritus, but both in Cradle and here, I love traipsing around and just looking at things.

Okay, the game has just gone up about 10 rankings in my list of "games i'm totally going to buy but not just yet". I know they're not the same but i really enjoyed Cradle, no i bloody adored Cradle, so if this is giving a similar vibe then i have to get to it sooner than later!

UrbanRats

I finished Layers of Fear yesterday, and the second half of that game really made me question whether or not i should buy this, since it gets pretty fucking tedious.

This seems like a more substantial experience (in terms of depth) though.

tesqui

which is the better overall game- SOMA or Observer?

I think Observer is a more pleasent game to play. SOMA got real tiring with the abundance of run and hide from monster gameplay. In Observer it's there, but a lot less of it.

That being said, I think I enjoyed SOMA's story a bit more.

It's honestly hard for me to chose what's my overall favorite. I really like both of these games.

Karish

I finished Layers of Fear yesterday, and the second half of that game really made me question whether or not i should buy this, since it gets pretty fucking tedious.

This seems like a more substantial experience (in terms of depth) though.
Night and day

Risev1

So I'm about 4-5 hours into the game atm. I'm enjoying it overall, but is anyone really disappointed with the dream eater sequences? I've experienced 3 so far, and they've all been annoying to go through. The game has this believable (in the established universe) apartment building, and the game's greatest strength is exploring this consistent location and uncovering its secrets / learning about its inhabitants. The dream eater sequences, on the other hand, are just annoying. They're very messy and are absolutely not scary due to the context. It's one thing entering a real apartment room and seeing fucked up shit inside, and another seeing through someone's memories and seeing abstract imagery that tell a predictable story. Worse yet, all three sequences give information that can already be learned by simply looking around and reading through the computers. They just ruin the pacing I feel.

I just hope that the rest of the sequences are better.

KingKong

So I'm about 4-5 hours into the game atm. I'm enjoying it overall, but is anyone really disappointed with the dream eater sequences? I've experienced 3 so far, and they've all been annoying to go through. The game has this believable (in the established universe) apartment building, and the game's greatest strength is exploring this consistent location and uncovering its secrets / learning about its inhabitants. The dream eater sequences, on the other hand, are just annoying. They're very messy and are absolutely not scary due to the context. It's one thing entering a real apartment room and seeing fucked up shit inside, and another seeing through someone's memories and seeing abstract imagery that tell a predictable story. Worse yet, all three sequences give information that can already be learned by simply looking around and reading through the computers. They just ruin the pacing I feel.

Fully agreed, being the detective in an apartment block is fun but the mind jacking is just stupid. They're not scary or intense or introspective, I'm just powering through to finish them

simtmb

I started this last night

I really dig it so far, but I will say the performance on base PS4 is kind of headache inducing

Same with the Pro, and honestly it gets worse, I ended up deleting it. Incredible how stuff like this gets released, enter an area, open a door and it chokes and stutters to single digits, completely ruins it for me. I've had several crashes as well.

Will grab it on Steam shortly though, as I really want to play this, just not on console with this level of performance.

Trago

Having played the game bits at a time over the past few days, I gotta say I 'm loving the atmosphere and tension.

This whole game reminds me of my favorite side mission from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The Harvester side quest. Basically turning Deus Ex into a cyberpunk detective game, but here we are with Observer! And it's got Rutger Hauer! I was a little iffy about the lack of combat at first, but honestly, I don't think this game really needs it. I'm also liking the horror angle as well.

Definitely gonna keep playing.

Bradd12

I was in love with this game until the hiding/running element kicked in. Now i cant convice myself to go back to it.

Im really not good at that stuff.

Anoxida

I was in love with this game until the hiding/running element kicked in. Now i cant convice myself to go back to it.

Im really not good at that stuff.

It's the only reason why Im not buying this. Hiding/Running from shit just doesn't work for me. Fucks me up. Jump scares I can do, but not that.

Exentryk

Man, I just encountered a game breaking bug where I'm constantly falling through the level. Even when reloading the game, I'm still falling through the level. Since the game only has one save file, I'm basically stuck until this gets fixed =/

Does anyone have a save file near the end of the game somewhere for GOG? Steam save might work as well probably. (
I was interrogating the killer in his dream
)

carlsojo

Stayed up till 3AM last night finishing up this game. Soooo good. Lots of stuff I missed apparently! Can't wait to dive back in but not sure I want to go collectible hunting without a guide.

Definitely can't recommend this enough. A much better game than Soma IMO.

DukeBobby

Stayed up till 3AM last night finishing up this game. Soooo good. Lots of stuff I missed apparently! Can't wait to dive back in but not sure I want to go collectible hunting without a guide.

Definitely can't recommend this enough. A much better game than Soma IMO.

0.0% of players on PS4 have the collectibles trophy, so some of them must be pretty fucking hidden.

carlsojo

0.0% of players on PS4 have the collectibles trophy, so some of them must be pretty fucking hidden.

I thought I had done a good job of hunting for them but then I saw there's 64!!!cards/file things and I only found 24. They're missable too because I found one in an interrogation.

Without spoilers, how does it fair against Layers of Fear? I really wasn't a fan of Layers of Fear despite whatever good tidbits it offered. But I'm interested in Observer because I love cyberpunk and Blade Runner.

Why the fuck did they put those awful stealth sections in!?!? One after another! I'm fucking pissed off with the spotter ships, awful. Way to ruin a game.

DukeBobby

I don't mind them, but they are definitely the weakest parts of the game. They're way too long.

pakkit

Banned
I disagree. I loved the dream eater sequences (with the exception of the stealth). They were unpredictable and I think really did try to convey that you were extracting these memories under extreme duress. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's pretty awe-inspiring. You're never quite sure where you are or what will happen next.

To those delaying due to hide from the monster gameplay...it's about 20 minutes of the whole game. I'm truly awful at that type of game. Never was able to get more than a few hours into Alien: Isolation, and I only was able to finish SOMA by modding the game to make the enemies brain dead. So trust me when I say that the sections here are really easy and you can often get through by sprinting to the checkpoint. If this is what's holding you back from buying the game, I say get it.

Pretty much where I'm at. Absolutely love everything else about this game. Love it! But these dream eater sequences fucking suck. The third one especially made me wonder who thought "Wow these are fun! Let's keep em in the game!" :/

CHC

From what I've watched it's really really refreshing to have a voice actor / protagonist that is older, Rurger Hauer or otherwise. Too many fresh-faced sounding young dudes is games. I like hearing someone who sounds a little rough in the old vocal chords.

Comparisons to SOMA are really selling me, too. That was one of my favorite narratives in any game, period.

I just started my second dream eater mission. When am I supposed to take syncrozine? Just when the vision gets wonky? I've been hoarding them lol

I'm playing on a Pro and the performance is very poor, with framerate drops all over the place.

There doesn't seem to be any Pro improvements either.

Unfortunately I agree. The frame rate at times on the pro is down right atrocious.

That said, I've enjoyed the game enough to just live with it and keep playing.

Top Bottom