• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

dr_octagon

Banned
We needed Vader to jump on the lightsabre and do a flip kick like Pai Mei.

Vader: The exquisite art of the laser sword? Don't make me laugh. Your exquisite art is only fit for useless Jedi. Your knowledge of the force is really quite pathetic.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Both of her Mandalorian episodes were among the best in Season 1, actually moving the plot forward while having great cinematography. I really dunno what happened to this production...
Yep her Mando episodes were brilliant. But wtf happened to this show. I’m assuming Disney goddamn forced them all to rush the production.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Yep her Mando episodes were brilliant. But wtf happened to this show. I’m assuming Disney goddamn forced them all to rush the production.

Wasn't there a re-write half way through filming?

Original script was took dark, they changed it mid way to lighten it up abit.

The show defiantly reeks of a rushed production.

Vaelka

This had been so disappointing. My expectations were clearly too high.

If I don’t see a no-helmet Anakin for more than 3 seconds I’m cancelling my sub.

Honestly I think Vader is basically out of the picture now.
I dunno how they'd have time for even more of Vader chasing Obi-Wan around.

We have one episode left, they need to get Leia back to Aldeeran, finish Reva's story which will probably take up a lot of it and then Obi-Wan needs to end up back on Tatooine.
I dunno where in this mess Vader would fit in, even less so another duel with Obi-Wan.

ManaByte

We have one episode left, they need to get Leia back to Aldeeran, finish Reva's story which will probably take up a lot of it and then Obi-Wan needs to end up back on Tatooine.
I dunno where in this mess Vader would fit in, even less so another duel with Obi-Wan.
obiwanTOP.jpg

Ulysses 31

According to the leak he
kills Reva after she lies about killing Obi-Wan or something.

But I can't really see that happening now after ep5.

Last edited:

NickFire

There was new insider leaks saying that they changed that to give Reva a spin-off series or season 2 of this show.
I hope not. I feel like one of a very few who actually liked her character immensely. But I think she has to die now just because she knows about Luke. She may have hoped to kill Vader someday, but her motivation was pure dark side. Someone that susceptible to the dark side can't know about Luke AND HIS LOCATON. Way too much temptation to use that for her advantage.

On a separate note - Vader's rampage against the ship was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ulysses 31

I hope not. I feel like one of a very few who actually liked her character immensely. But I think she has to die now just because she knows about Luke. She may have hoped to kill Vader someday, but her motivation was pure dark side. Someone that susceptible to the dark side can't know about Luke AND HIS LOCATON. Way too much temptation to use that for her advantage.
What did you like so much about her?

Ignoring her acting, the fact that she goes out to hunt (and kill?) Jedi to get revenge on Vader for hunting and killing Jedi makes little sense. As does her blaming Obi-Wan when he was out fighting General Grievious and acting like he didn't suffer at all from Order 66.

We've not seen her show an ounce of remorse for all the people she hurt or killed(or helped get killed) in her Jedi hunt to ultimately get Vader, she was even about to torture little Leia. This alone for me makes it hard to care for fate in the show. For a redemption arc to work, or at the very least start it for me, hints of remorse need to be present.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Is it worth watching

Imo no it's not, unless you're a massive Star Wars fanboy which I mean... I dunno why anyone would be nowadays lol.
Personally I feel a bit tired of all the memberberries it's the same with all the remakes and remasters or how every WoW expansion is being relaunched, it feels like they're just banking on nostalgia and we're stuck in an endless loop of the same stuff.

I only watched it because of Ewan, but I think he's the only redeeming part of the show but gets dragged down by every other character he comes into contact with.

NickFire

What did you like so much about her?

Ignoring her acting, the fact that she goes out to hunt (and kill?) Jedi to get revenge on Vader for hunting and killing Jedi makes little sense. As does her blaming Obi-Wan when he was out fighting General Grievious and acting like he didn't suffer at all for Order 66.

We've not seen her show an ounce of remorse for all the people she hurt or killed(or helped get killed) in her Jedi hunt to ultimately get Vader, she was even about to torture little Leia. This alone for me makes it hard to care for fate in the show. For a redemption arc to work, or at the very least start it for me, hints at remorse need to be present.
I liked her character and portrayal of it. Sometimes people just like things and this was one of those instances for me. Regarding her character arc, she let the dark side consume her, and wanted to kill Vader out of hatred. I don't want it but won't be upset if she shows remorse in the next one. Conversely, I'll be thrilled if she forces Obi's hand because she intends to use Luke to get another crack at Vader purely out of hatred towards Vader.

As an aside, if someone took me from my family as a kid, and then everyone I loved was killed by one of their own, I'd hate them too.

Basically, my interest is seeing the dark side of the force controlling / winning during this time period (except for Obi-Wan keeping Luke safe). And seeing Vader rage out in his glory. So far we've only gotten extremely sanitized portrayals of two people that were so powerful and so evil that Yoda, Obi, and every surviving Jedi fled instead of regrouping and taking them out in stealth. Some people think this show disparages the OG trilogy. I say it gives the OG trilogy more context and meaning by showing just how dark things got.

Ulysses 31

Regarding her character arc, she let the dark side consume her, and wanted to kill Vader out of hatred. I don't want it but won't be upset if she shows remorse in the next one. Conversely, I'll be thrilled if she forces Obi's hand because she intends to use Luke to get another crack at Vader purely out of hatred towards Vader.
The remorse thing is only so her character doesn't come across as so evil. I assume the show doesn't want the viewers to see Reva as a villain. But if it is a story about revenge at any cost and a suicide mission, then Disney's managed to surprise me.
As an aside, if someone took me from my family as a kid, and then everyone I loved was killed by one of their own, I'd hate them too.
But then going to work for that someone and kill other people's family members kinda makes you the thing you hate.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I think Reva is an absolutely terrible character and it has nothing to do with her race.

For what it's worth, probably one of my favorite current actors is Giancarlo Esposito. I don't mean for Star Wars. I mean just across the board he is an absolutely fantastic and brilliant actor. His role in The Boys and Breaking Bad are awesome. Not to mention he has a lot of class.

Another black actor who I really enjoy seeing is Lance Reddick.

So yeah, sorry it has nothing to do with race here. If anything, they really turned her into a stereotype of the "angry black woman" and I could argue Disney is being more racist than anybody online.

For what it's worth, I definitely hope they get Lance Reddick for a Star Wars series or movie at some point.

Last edited:

Romulus

Holy shit this episode was just so full of amateurish jank and idiotic directing and choreography. The couldn't even bother de-aging Hayden Christensen the cheap bastards. Now just wait for some random YouTuber to do a deepfake that shits on the efforts of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

I don't even have the words to go on. I give up.

Yeah Ewan is clearly deaged and Hayden isn't. Jarring asf.

Darkmakaimura

Lance Reddick needs to be Mace Windu's apprentice who shows up.

You're all the Sith? I am all the motherfucking revenge, slice and dice bitches.
Reddick is an absolutely fantastic actor as well.

I love that man's voice and just his creepy look. He's definitely one of my top favorite actors of the past decade or two.

Darkmakaimura

He totally owned what would have been a small and unnoticed part in John Wick.

His best performance

I first saw him in Fringe. I thought he was absolutely fantastic in that role and he had a much bigger role in that series.

He's also got a nice ASMR type of voice but I could actually fall asleep listening to. I think he would be good for reading the Bible or something on audio.

Last edited:

Toons

I love reva, I think shes energetic, passionate about the "cause" at first(in a sea of calm and collected british dudes for most of the Empire villains, which has long since gotten stale) but actually has a unique perspective here which is something you don't see in this era of all evildoers and good guys being clearly defined. She clearly was on a quest for vengeance, but didn't care how many innocents she had to watch die. I'd definitely be open to seeing more of her path up to this point. Assuming she had to rise in the ranks to even join the inquisitorius.

She also is one of the first to openly call the Jedi out on their BS, being that they let the whole thing go down with their incompetence in the first place. But her downfall is her hubris and her being blinded by her desire to win, which ties her nicely to the flashbacks as well in that she and anakin make very much the same mistakes and both end up losing for it.

I almost feel like they should have saved that flashback sequence in the first episode with order 66 til this episode, and shown it along with the other reva flashback. It would've given much more oomph to the reveal but as if was most rational people were suspecting that shed end up being one of them.

Kev Kev

I think Reva is an absolutely terrible character and it has nothing to do with her race.

For what it's worth, probably one of my favorite current actors is Giancarlo Esposito. I don't mean for Star Wars. I mean just across the board he is an absolutely fantastic and brilliant actor. His role in The Boys and Breaking Bad are awesome. Not to mention he has a lot of class.

Another black actor who I really enjoy seeing is Lance Reddick.

So yeah, sorry it has nothing to do with race here. If anything, they really turned her into a stereotype of the "angry black woman" and I could argue Disney is being more racist than anybody online.

For what it's worth, I definitely hope they get Lance Reddick for a Star Wars series or movie at some point.
"all my best friends are black!"

lol buddy its ok, you dont sound racist, but you are getting the stereo type wrong.

angry black woman is way more sassy, shes waving her arms in the air and snappin her fingers, wagglin one finger in front iff your face sayin "nuh uh uh!!", sayin all the most ratchet and wild things, her hairs a mess, her breath stinks, shes got one gold tooth maybe a couple of others just straight up missing lol, and in general she is just being a bitch for no reason. oh and also doin one of those waddly little walks just to show off how "nasty" she is lol

dont take this this the wrong way, but are you american? bc angry black woman does not simply equal a black woman who is angry. im a white guy living as a minority in a black town in florida currently, and i can tell you reva is like a white black woman compared to the black women around here. she isnt being any of those things i mentioned and she has a very good reason to be angry.

look if you dont like her thats fine, but disney did not hit the mark on angry black woman trope, if thats what they were going for at all. itd be like callin leia a karen in the original trilogy lol "pfff look at this karen, all mad bc her planet got blown up!? what a total bitch! i cant believe disney leaned into the angry karen trope. star wars sucks!!"

anyway, i personally thought this was the best episode yet. reva and her actress continue to do a solid job. vader was amazing. one of the best showing of vader on screen ever. the way he just used the force when dueling reva was like "finally" moment for me. some weird choreography tho. the part where vader split the two light sabers in half and tossed one to her was so HYPE!!! only for her to do some weird ass crawl on the ground move. i was like lol wtf was that!? and then it was over. so i think they really ruined that moment. but everything leading up to it was a top tier SW moment for me.

and there is still that hallmark of weird script, bizarre line delivery, bad editing, and just general low quality. i agree on the troubled production comments itt, perhaps rushed is the most likely scenario. its hard to imagine disney let some of this get off the cutting room floor. maybe covid had a lot to do with it? still doesnt excuse them for releasing that is obviously less quality than what SW deserves.

but im still finding so much to enjoy with this series. little moments here and there. watching anakin and obi wan fighting in the past, really gets the memories and nostalgia going. i think hayden has always done a great job and still is. he nails the role imo. he comes off as powerful, but young and reckless and bratty, letting his "thirst for victory" consume him. i really love those moments between him and obi wan. hope we see some more flashbacks.

looking forward to the conclusion. hopefully they will work out the kinks and season 2 will be closer to mandalorian quality (although i dont think this season was that far off).

Hugare

This one was also pretty terrible

You guys were pleased only because of 1 minute of flashback scenes and Vader unleashed ?

Cinematography still sucks, that woman + robot dying scene was cheesy as hell, Reva trying to kill Vader coreography, Leia fixing cables ...

It all looks so cheap.

What a mess. Ewan and Hayden deserved so much more than this.

Their relationship was the best part of Star Wars for me

Darkmakaimura

"all my best friends are black!"

lol buddy its ok, you dont sound racist, but you are getting the stereo type wrong.

angry black woman is way more sassy, shes waving her arms in the air and snappin her fingers, wagglin one finger in front iff your face sayin "nuh uh uh!!", sayin all the most ratchet and wild things, her hairs a mess, her breath stinks, shes got one gold tooth maybe a couple of others just straight up missing lol, and in general she is just being a bitch for no reason. oh and also doin one of those waddly little walks just to show off how "nasty" she is lol

dont take this this the wrong way, but are you american? bc angry black woman does not simply equal a black woman who is angry. im a white guy living as a minority in a black town in florida currently, and i can tell you reva is like a white black woman compared to the black women around here. she isnt being any of those things i mentioned and she has a very good reason to be angry.

look if you dont like her thats fine, but disney did not hit the mark on angry black woman trope, if thats what they were going for at all. itd be like callin leia a karen in the original trilogy lol "pfff look at this karen, all mad bc her planet got blown up!? what a total bitch! i cant believe disney leaned into the angry karen trope. star wars sucks!!"

anyway, i personally thought this was the best episode yet. reva and her actress continue to do a solid job. vader was amazing. one of the best showing of vader on screen ever. the way he just used the force when dueling reva was like "finally" moment for me. some weird choreography tho. the part where vader split the two light sabers in half and tossed one to her was so HYPE!!! only for her to do some weird ass crawl on the ground move. i was like lol wtf was that!? and then it was over. so i think they really ruined that moment. but everything leading up to it was a top tier SW moment for me.

and there is still that hallmark of weird script, bizarre line delivery, bad editing, and just general low quality. i agree on the troubled production comments itt, perhaps rushed is the most likely scenario. its hard to imagine disney let some of this get off the cutting room floor. maybe covid had a lot to do with it? still doesnt excuse them for releasing that is obviously less quality than what SW deserves.

but im still finding so much to enjoy with this series. little moments here and there. watching anakin and obi wan fighting in the past, really gets the memories and nostalgia going. i think hayden has always done a great job and still is. he nails the role imo. he comes off as powerful, but young and reckless and bratty, letting his "thirst for victory" consume him. i really love those moments between him and obi wan. hope we see some more flashbacks.

looking forward to the conclusion. hopefully they will work out the kinks and season 2 will be closer to mandalorian quality (although i dont think this season was that far off).
I mean there are black women who are actually criticizing Disney for the stereotype so it's not just me, an American, noticing this.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here but that was one hell of a long post.

In my opinion the character sucks. It's not the actress's fault at all. It's the writers and or the director. The actress is working with what she's given. Anyone actually sending racist shit to her pieces of shit themselves and I think 99% of the population would agree with that.

Edit: I'm Jewish and just for the record there's a lot of stupid Jewish stereotypes as well in movies and television. Well honestly none of them are really bothered me but they'll bother a lot of other Jewish people.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I realize I'm also making a big mistake replying to posts like that when I'm pretty much in the middle of a panic attack (not related to the post) but then again I'm not a very smart person, I admit.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had to tap out when they had more than one sequence of a 10 year old girl who looks like a 6 year old girl outrunning adults with her tiny baby legs. She can’t even do a full sprint and they’re trying to put her center screen in a chase sequence? This is the stuff I’m talking about, how do you even fix that without gutting the dumbass story that’s already there and totally rewriting it?
Agreed on this and thought the exact same thing. I have no idea how old the Leia actress actually is, but my daughter just turned 10 and looks and runs nothing like that actress depstie my daughter being squarely of average height and athletic ability.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Agreed on this and thought the exact same thing. I have no idea how old the Leia actress actually is, but my daughter just turned 10 and looks and runs nothing like that actress depstie my daughter being squarely of average height and athletic ability.
Come on, Leia's just amazing. She can even repair ships in ep5! :lollipop_thescream:

I’m sorry to be a negative Nancy but I’ve rewatched all the epsisodes so far and it just confirms for me that Disney - who really had a shot at redeeming themselves - have completely dropped the ball on this. I loved the prequels and this Obi-wan series is not going to be considered canon in my own mind. I’m glad others are enjoying it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom