• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

I used to have that really big, thick Star Wars encyclopedia. I had it around the mid-2000s and used to read through that all the time and love seeing all the different expanded universe stuff.

Nowadays, all of this is garbage. Well the expanded universe definitely had some really crappy and silly shit, it was overall better than what we have now. KOTOR 1 and 2 alone are so good that in some ways they're even better than the original trilogy.

I love the expanded universe myself. I still have all of the books. I'm planning on reading The Thrawn Trilogy. I never have. As for that Encyclopedia, I still have it. I love all 6 movies and I love The Clone Wars

Huge fan of The New Jedi Order

As for Canon, I never really cared what's Canon and what's not Canon. I just enjoy a story regardless of whether it has Canonical errors or not

KOTOR 1 and 2 are fantastic games

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's kind of funny but thinking about it one of the reasons I've become a fan of Warhammer 40,000 is because of how much Star Wars has gone downhill.

I sort of wanted an alternative to Star Wars and Warhammer 40,000 is a great fit. Unlike Star Wars, in some ways Warhammer 40,000 is actually getting better than it was a few years ago. The video game certainly are getting better.

It's most certainly not the main reason I'm a Warhammer 40,000 fan which started about 6 years ago but it's definitely one of the reasons.
You definitely need to read the Galaxy's Edge books, starting with Legionnaire. Anspach and Cole really grok what is fun about Star Wars but also inject a lot of the grit that appeals to adults. They also fix virtually everything lazy and comical about Stormtroopers and turn them into the kinda soldiers that could control a galaxy.

You definitely need to read the Galaxy's Edge books, starting with Legionnaire. Anspach and Cole really grok what is fun about Star Wars but also inject a lot of the grit that appeals to adults. They also fix virtually everything lazy and comical about Stormtroopers and turn them into the kinda soldiers that could control a galaxy.
I saw the video game for Galaxy's Edge and I actually think that Vader Immortal game has a pretty cool story.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ah, I see the problem here. You reference to the the film industry as "pop culture" says it all. Have you even heard of half the movies they reviewed? Bone Tomahawk? Under the Silver Lake? Pig? Lake Mungo? Yeah, didn't think so. And again, they often delve into technical aspects of film that most people (like you) have no understanding of.

Be honest, the reason you think they're "contrarian edgelords" is because they said something mean about a popular franchise (probably Star Wars). Well, RLM isn't Collider. In fact, RLM parodied the shit out of them BECAUSE of Collider's reverence of pop culture.

In any case, this isn't the RLM thread so I'm not going to continue derailing the thread. If you want to continue this conversation, feel free to visit the RLM thread

I called them contrarian edgelords because that's what they are. And yes, I saw those movies you mentioned, they're rather popular movies. Pig is one of the most successful indie darlings of our time, the rest are all cult or outright modern classics of their respective genres and/or types of films. If you were going to try and pull some kind of film snob move, you should have referenced actual obscure films and not ones that many, many people (including gen z) have seen.

Honestly, deeper discussions regarding film are had on Reddit, on small podcasts like /Film, etc.

But hey if you consider these guys deep thinkers and critics of our age, have at it. Me not liking them shouldn't be angering you, or provoking you to force me to accept them. To each their own.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
i guess they're trying to establish the canon that being stabbed in the gut is a minor flesh wound.
The moment Darth Maul survived being cut in half due to his hate for Kenobi fuelling his dark side abilities… well…

mom son GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
I saw the video game for Galaxy's Edge and I actually think that Vader Immortal game has a pretty cool story.
The anspach/Cole "Galaxy's Edge" books are not related to all the official star wars Galaxy's Edge stuff. They are essentially star wars fan fic with all the serial numbers filed off and blended with a "been there done that" military attitude similar to Generation Kill. So it all feels like Star Wars except its mostly from the POV of stormtroopers that act like Army Rangers, Marines, or delta force instead of the Keystone Cops. Tones down all the jedi stuff dramatically as well. Really fun reads if you are into military Sci,-fi or want a fresh take on a lot of star wars tropes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The moment Darth Maul survived being cut in half due to his hate for Kenobi fuelling his dark side abilities… well…
But the idea that he survived AT ALL was played up as an almost unique event, plus he suffered for it. Vader is in a similar situation.

The belly stab killed Qui-jon, so to have not just one, but TWO people survive it with seemingly little difficulty is IMHO a Canon breaking move for the show. It's like the Holdo maneuver or jumping to light speed in atmosphere, if it can be done, seemingly so casually, then why isn't everyone doing it?

So for me, the Obi wan show is neutering Lightsabers down to less than lethal weapons like a taser.

Ulysses 31

But the idea that he survived AT ALL was played up as an almost unique event, plus he suffered for it. Vader is in a similar situation.

The belly stab killed Qui-jon, so to have not just one, but TWO people survive it with seemingly little difficulty is IMHO a Canon breaking move for the show. It's like the Holdo maneuver or jumping to light speed in atmosphere, if it can be done, seemingly so casually, then why isn't everyone doing it?

So for me, the Obi wan show is neutering Lightsabers down to less than lethal weapons like a taser.
In ep4 if you look closely at the Storm Trooper in the torture chamber, you see the lightsabre bouncing off his armor the first hit. 👀

Ionian

True enough, there havee been some really dire parts. I do like the show for all it's faults, just found his review to be overly pompous for what is basically just Star Wars, it's hardly Dickens. It's a dumb sci-fi show that you enjoy for that, a case of turning your brain off and being a kid again is all.

Ulysses 31

True enough, there havee been some really dire parts. I do like the show for all it's faults, just found his review to be overly pompous for what is basically just Star Wars, it's hardly Dickens. It's a dumb sci-fi show that you enjoy for that, a case of turning your brain off and being a kid again is all.
Surely we can point out that we didn't need to turn our brains off as much in the OT as we do in shows like Obi-Wan and Book of Boba Fett.

Last edited:

Ionian

Surely we can point out that we didn't need to turn our brains off as much in the OT as we do in shows like Obi-Wan and Book of Boba Fett.

Oh I don't disagree, as kids it was glorious and yup the Disney+ stuff is hit and miss. The Book of Boba Fett was dire until Mando showed up to save it and I loved the ending without him being much involved.

Givvus a Gammorean guard or Bib Fortuna series. Go all out! ;)

Hell Admiral Ackbar, only he swivells in his chair when he's alone on deck.

Part of the fun of liking the new Star Wars stuff is hating parts, it curiously brings attention to it both good and bad. The Darth Maul surviving part is truly them scrambling for those member-berries. Fun to watch but can't not wonder who thought that was a good idea, sheer laziness.

So a no story character gets backstory decades later in an animated series. Hilarious shit.

Last edited:

Toons

Even if you like Reva the character, the actress playing her is fucking terrible. I would literally pick anyone from a lineup of late 20s professional black actresses over her, blindfolded. The Leia interrogation was SNL levels of satire bad. Everything she does comes off as a weak poser with no conviction or passion.

I completely disagree. Shes doing a great job with the role she is giving and what she is supposed to be giving off. I really don't understand how people aren't seeing it, but that seems to happen a lot with star wars these days.

Even BoBF had a lot of subtlety that went over the heads of a lot of people. Granted its a silly kids franchise but that doesn't mean it csnt have interesting story elements and journeys for the characters, and they are there if you're willing to look.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I completely disagree. Shes doing a great job with the role she is giving and what she is supposed to be giving off. I really don't understand how people aren't seeing it, but that seems to happen a lot with star wars these days.
its really telling that the people who have posted ITT the most and kept it on the front page are the ones who hate the show. the majority of us are quietly enjoying it, as that usually goes.

Romulus

Even BoBF had a lot of subtlety that went over the heads of a lot of people. Granted its a silly kids franchise but that doesn't mean it csnt have interesting story elements and journeys for the characters, and they are there if you're willing to look.

Let me get this straight, are suggesting reva is being played so well its going over people's heads?

I have little to no problem with the acting from anyone else in the SW TV shows. Even Leia outshines reva in the interrogation room and she's a kid, and she's not great either. Reva is a standout for all the wrong reasons. She literally cannot do angry. It's fake and weak. That growl she does comes off like a 14 year old boy.

Last edited:
its really telling that the people who have posted ITT the most and kept it on the front page are the ones who hate the show. the majority of us are quietly enjoying it, as that usually goes.
Probably because the people who like this show are few and far between. I’m looking at clips of this show and I feel bad for Star Wars fans.

AmuroChan

I liked the first episode a lot. I thought it was setting up for a really great show, but unfortunately it just hasn't panned out that way for me. Ep 5 was decent, but eps 2-4 were very mediocre imo. Hopefully the finale will end on a high note.

Last edited:
I liked the first episode a lot. I thought it was setting up for a really great show, but unfortunately it just hasn't panned out that way for me. Ep 5 was decent, but eps 2-4 were very mediocre imo. Hopefully the finale will end on a high note.
Yeah I'm super disappointed with this show. Obi-Wan is in my top 5 Star Wars characters. This had so much potential. Episode 1 and 5 were the only good ones. I hope Episode 6 ends up being great

Toons

Let me get this straight, are suggesting reva is being played so well its going over people's heads?

No I'm suggesting that the intention behind her role and the character she is supposed to be playing is going over peooels heads, and so when she acts says or does certain things that is being attributed to bad acting vs her playing her chatacter correctly.

I have little to no problem with the acting from anyone else in the SW TV shows. Even Leia outshines reva in the interrogation room and she's a kid, and she's not great either. Reva is a standout for all the wrong reasons. She literally cannot do angry. It's fake and weak. That growl she does comes off like a 14 year old boy.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. She is young, inexperienced, and desperate. Her anger is from fear, and her fear is from what she experienced. She comes off like someone having ambitions above what she's capable of, because that's exactly who she is. Moses is playing that angle very well.

It works especially because she's not a huge actor who carries a lot of weight or authority. If you casted someone like lupita or likewise who is established, shed be able to do fine but she wouldn't carry the element this chatacter needs, that being someone over their heads or incapable of doing what they are attempting to do. At first when you watch the series it seems she's just extremely ambitious for vaders favor, and unwilling to rest or stop at anything to get that. But post reveal we know why she's like this, the real reason. (this also comes through in that she gives Leia several opportunities to escape retribution given her history)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dude, you are reading WAAAAY too much into her character. I can't even tell if she was straight bad and Obiwans little door conversation convinced her to strike Vader or if she was angling to get him all the time. They TRY to make her seem cunning and duplicitous but it just isn't working

Though I will forgive EVERYTHING if she shows up on Tattoine, pushes a guy out of a phone booth, rips a page out of a book, and starts systematically killing guys named "Owen".

Cue Reese: "They didn't know who John Connors mother was, just a location and a name. The terminator was just being systematic" :p

Kev Kev

looking forward to the conclusion tomorrow night! im thinking its going to end kind of dark. i hope we get more scenes with vader being a bad ass. the scene with the ship last week was so fucking good, and then him just using the force and toying with reva like she wasnt even a challenge. they really did vader right in those scenes. he seemed untouchable and just insanely powerful.

as the flashback scene indicated, i imagine obi wan will find some way to outsmart him and use his blinding rage against him, but hes just too powerful for anyone to be able to over come him. although i hope they try bc im always down to see vader completely owning.

also i hope in season 2 they work out the weirdness in script issues, line delivery, editing, choreography and all the other valid criticisms for it. maybe take more time in production, treat it more like a hollywood movie set than a made for the sci fi channel kind of show. theres a lot of improvement they can do in those areas.

other than that im stoked. lets goooooooooo
kenobi-darth-vader.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
im thinking its going to end kind of dark.

wut? Nothing happens to Ben, nothing happens to Lukes family, nothing happens to Leia, nothing happens to Vader, nothing happens to the inquisitors except maybe theyll kill the asian dude and her "again". Theres nothing dark about this show unless you mean dark poop in which case yeah could be.

One of the worst shows I'eve ever seen and it's on the same level as Boba Fett's cringy ass spy kids episodes.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

wut? Nothing happens to Ben, nothing happens to Lukes family, nothing happens to Leia, nothing happens to Vader, nothing happens to the inquisitors except maybe theyll kill the asian dude and her "again". Theres nothing dark about this show unless you mean dark poop in which case yeah could be.

One of the worst shows I'eve ever seen and it's on the same level as Boba Fett's cringy ass spy kids episodes.
no i mean itll be dark in preperatin for season 2. like obi wan faces vader again, and gets his shit rocked again. maybe vader finds out about lukes existence but doesnt know where he is, etc. some kind of dark-ish ending to set them up for season 2.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
no i mean itll be dark in preperatin for season 2. like obi wan faces vader again, and gets his shit rocked again. maybe vader finds out about lukes existence but doesnt know where he is, etc. some kind of dark-ish ending to set them up for season 2.
I thought this was a one-and-done limited series? Isn't this just the Obi-wan movie stretched out?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

god I hope not. Neutered master jedi babysitting is not something anyones gonna enjoy for another season. Even Vader felt useless, his presence had no oomph. I had more goosebumps in that short Rogue One scene than in the entire season of Obi-Wan. Shit all they had to do was leave Ben's powers alone and just set him loose in the universe, do some cool saving, something anything but this shit. Not even nostalgia could save it. Yeah as you can see I'm super pissed how they treated my man Ben and Annie.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I thought this was a one-and-done limited series? Isn't this just the Obi-wan movie stretched out?
Yeah I just looked it up and it’s not confirmed, I thought it was.

I’d be down for a season 2 tho. There feels like they have more story to tell here with the whole Vader hunting Kenobi idea

BaneIsPain

Disappointing series overall and the finale is meh to me. Yes, nice lil' throwback here and there but it is not adequate to cover the weaknesses.
"inspired" by rebels like the previous episode "inspired" by fallen order.
Another series that can be consumed and forget it forever.
Please don't shoot yourself in the foot by making another season or spin-off.

pramod

Banned
So they're not even going to bother to explain how Reva with a hole in her gut, dragged herself off the ground, got off the planet and to Tatooine, huh? It's like the writers didn't even give a fuck.

Was the whole Reva thing something thrown in at the last minute? It almost seems like two different shows mangled together, it's such a mess.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
BTW I'm starting to wonder, why does the Empire even bother to build these gigantic Star Destroyers?

It can't chase down a small transport ship.

It doesn't have enough fire power to destroy its shields.

Again, we're talking about an ordinary transport here. Not the Millenium Falcon which is like the fastest ship in the galaxy.

What exactly are Star Destroyers good for?

gimmmick

George Lucas’s terrible screen writing is dearly missed for the finale of Obi-Wan Kenobi. It just wouldn’t be a proper Vader vs Obi matchup without the cheesy dialog of the the lovable train wreck that is Revenge of the Sith.

Star-Lord

I don't know why you were all expecting some big, flashy, jaw-dropping conclusion to the series. We know that both Obi-Wan and Vader live to fight another day.

Majormaxxx

Some great moments but disappointing overall.

Good:

The Lars family and the Organa family as well as Obi-Wan and Anakin are excellent. Ewan gave it all.

Not so good:

Both kids are not great. Writing is not good. Very uneven episodes. The combat was not good as well. Too many night scenes to hide the sets... Overall dumb story with lots of retconning that makes scenes in episode 4 strange..

sol_bad

I actually really enjoyed the last episode. Yeah, I have issues with the time line, Reva making it to Tatooine while Obi-Wan is still being chased by Vader but I can let that go.

I thought the final fight was done really well, Obi really schooled Vader proving he is still the teacher.

The episode actually pulled at my heart strings a bit on a narrative level and I'm happy it did.

Overall I think watching the shit show that was the first 4 episodes was worth it for the conclusion. Easily puts it above Book of Boba Fett but under Mandalorian.

Did anyone else have compression and HSR issues with this episode?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I actually really enjoyed the last episode. Yeah, I have issues with the time line, Reva making it to Tatooine while Obi-Wan is still being chased by Vader but I can let that go.

I thought the final fight was done really well, Obi really schooled Vader proving he is still the teacher.

The episode actually pulled at my heart strings a bit on a narrative level and I'm happy it did.

Overall I think watching the shit show that was the first 4 episodes was worth it for the conclusion. Easily puts it above Book of Boba Fett but under Mandalorian.

Did anyone else have compression and HSR issues with this episode?
Pretty much exactly how I see it, except Mando > Boba Fett 😬

The Vader stuff in the last two eps has made the early stuff pay off. The final confrontation was pretty perfect: good action, not too long like RotS, the cutaways weren’t too overdone so you never felt disengaged. Can’t really find much to complain about except the star destroyer chase being drawn out and unbelievable but whatever. The final lines between Obi Wan and Anakin were worth it

I thought the Leia conclusion was sweet, Luke stuff was fine, Owen kinda redeems himself, Reva…definitely just there to set up her series I guess. Overall it was fine

Last edited:

Venuspower

So they're not even going to bother to explain how Reva with a hole in her gut, dragged herself off the ground, got off the planet and to Tatooine, huh? It's like the writers didn't even give a fuck.

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

The fact that users of the dark side can survive mortal injury with the help of their hatred was explained ages ago by George Lucas.

The GI mentioned it again in the last episode for the people who don't have much to do with Star Wars.

Force users of the dark side cling to their lives. For Jedi, on the other hand, death is part of life. That's why Qui-Gon didn't survive it in Episode I. In Episode III Yoda explains all of that to Anakin.

That's also the reason why you don't see Jedi using abilities like Force healing in the prequels. That's "forbidden" to them, so to speak. Rey, on the other hand, has renounced the practices of the Jedi. And Grogu is not a Jedi either.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
The closest to that we'll probably get is this from Rebels but in live action:
R.ca6168a4ffab2d815c463167819c492b

As for showing Hayden's face:
There's apparently a flashback coming up that's set right before ROTS with Anakin and Obi-Wan sparring in the Jedi Temple.
You called it about a month ago my man (y)

Top Bottom