• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is one of George Lucas' favorite Star Wars projects

ManaByte

Gold Member

"Early on there was a conversation had with George [Lucas] over what his thoughts were, and whether or not, honestly, he bought the whole concept, and he was one hundred percent supportive. And I’ve heard tell it’s one of his favorite things that’s come out of Star Wars.”

George also loved Rogue One and told Tony Gilroy that:
"George Lucas called me after Rogue, I had a 45-minute conversation with him after he saw Rogue, and that's the only time I've ever spoken to him. He loved it. He really did. He had a lot of things to say that I... It was like a call from the president."

Kilau

Gold Member
7fa67a47810a0dabe6e93989886d9b3d9d146402.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The man made the prequel trilogy. One of the worst things ive ever seen filmed on camera. What he thinks is great means nothing.

The latest Star Wars stuff is bland and boring by design. George has repeatedly said that this is for kids. We are all adults now. We have aged out but continue watching because we dont want to let go. It's time to let go.

Trilobit

The man made the prequel trilogy. One of the worst things ive ever seen filmed on camera. What he thinks is great means nothing.

The latest Star Wars stuff is bland and boring by design. George has repeatedly said that this is for kids. We are all adults now. We have aged out but continue watching because we dont want to let go. It's time to let go.

I can still watch and enjoy A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as a 30+ year old man. While it's suitable for kids, many of the themes go over their heads. But most stuff after that have been subpar to say the least. It's no longer just suitable for kids, it's childish. And of poor quality.

The Mandalorian season 1 felt like a return to real Star Wars, but already in season 2 it started to get watered out and by season 3 I was rolling my eyes at Jack Black knighting baby Yoda. The best Star Wars is for all ages and exciting and inspirational. At this point only Andor is worth watching.

clarky

Gold Member
I can still watch and enjoy A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as a 30+ year old man. While it's suitable for kids, many of the themes go over their heads. But most stuff after that have been subpar to say the least. It's no longer just suitable for kids, it's childish. And of poor quality.

The Mandalorian season 1 felt like a return to real Star Wars, but already in season 2 it started to get watered out and by season 3 I was rolling my eyes at Jack Black knighting baby Yoda. The best Star Wars is for all ages and exciting and inspirational. At this point only Andor is worth watching.
I still maintain Rouge one and Andor season 1 is the only decent (ish) thing they've done.

Didn't care for much of any of the Mandalorian.

Star wars has been fucked ever since the Ewoks. Merchandise before quality, every time. Apart from the above.

Last edited:

Dazrael

And this is why taking the reins off George was a good thing, he didn’t understand his own creation. It’s just unfortunate that the reins were given to a company with even less understanding.

BlackTron

Mando 1 and 2, Rogue 1 and Andor are more than what we had before. So it isn't a complete loss.

But man we had to suffer through a lot of trite to get those nuggets and the franchise always deserved better. We have come a long way from Shadows of the Empire and blindly buying Lucasarts SW games without trying them first

Null Persp

This series was uneven and the villain was so bad, but the scenes in the past when they were training and the final fight were great.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Probably because it was the only one that actually pretended to give a shit about actual Star Wars content. Star Wars is and will always be focused on Skywalkers, they're the throughline to me. You can keep your "Skywalker saga,", we call it "Star Wars," round here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Obi-Wan could have been good, if they had more time and didn’t rush certain aspects (as well as trying to hamfist leia into the plot, she should not have been there at all).

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Obi-Wan Kenobi is literally one of the worst TV shows ever made. If George loves it, maybe he would've done worse with the franchise himself.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The George Lucas who took advice from his contemporaries, knew when to turn the directing reins over to better directors, and was more interested in entertaining people that pushing new technology for his own benefit, was a very different man to the fucking idiot of the last twenty five years.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm pretty much getting over Star Wars for the first time in my life. I love the original trilogy and I even love the prequels but Disney has fucked it all up beyond all repair at this point. There's no coming back from it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It was yawn inducing. Only good thing was the final fight and Anakin's/Darths speech to Obi Wan. That was pretty emotional. Cool cameo at the end too, I'll give em that. The rest was miserable. The final nail in the coffin for me regarding Star Wars. Obi Wan was one of my favorite characters and Ewan was perfect for it in the prequels but under Disney's regime he just came off as bland and boring, like the rest of the show. It felt like he didn't want to do it or he knew it was gonna be bad so he phoned it in. Really sad to see.

Raven117

You be of the healthiest takes by a Star Wars fan I’ve ever seen

BlackTron

Probably because it was the only one that actually pretended to give a shit about actual Star Wars content. Star Wars is and will always be focused on Skywalkers, they're the throughline to me. You can keep your "Skywalker saga,", we call it "Star Wars," round here.

They want it to be about Skywalkers so bad

That they assign the name to a Palpatine

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The Obi Wan series gave me strong feelings of nostalgia to when I first saw the OT as a kid. I can't say it was consistently good but certain parts made me feel good enough that I was willing to give the other parts a pass.

BlackTron

The Obi Wan series gave me strong feelings of nostalgia to when I first saw the OT as a kid. I can't say it was consistently good but certain parts made me feel good enough that I was willing to give the other parts a pass.

I watched the series exactly once. TBH its low points were so excruciatingly bad I almost couldn't even finish it. Yeah there are good connections to OT but those connections kinda become an insult to the OT when the overall quality is that bad. I still think it would have worked in its original idea as a movie. Spreading and padding it out made it kind of like a prequel film (but worse), a load of shit with a couple good parts.

The best part of course was the Vader vs. Obi Wan fight, which really wasn't even necessary in the story anyway because it just took away from ANH's impact.

The scene where he is talking to Leia on the shuttle with all the refugees running away from Vader's ISD is so bad I can never ever watch it again. I hate that I was with my family when I saw it, couldn't even suffer alone. What a duct taped together sorry excuse.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Must've been proud of young Leila chase scenes.

Goddamn this scene works me up every time I see it lol. Someone actually shot this old crusty white piece of dog shit then went "Boom there it is. Yep ,that's it. Send it."

Kenobi might be one of the straight up dumbest shows I've ever seen. It aggressively engages you with its dumbness. You can't even turn your brain off and enjoy it if you're trying. It reaches out of the screen and smacks you across the face and goes "Hey did you see how fuckin dumb that was?? Here let me do it again."

Top Bottom