• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Needlecrash

I still haven't had luck with getting the 3080. My hope is that with the 3070 releasing and AMD fully announcing their GPUs, that steals some of the demand for the 3080 or at least throws enough confusion into the market where I can finally get one.
Pretty much. I feel like I'm giving up a bit if I go for a 3070. But, not much choice at this point. 😑

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Pretty much. I feel like I'm giving up a bit if I go for a 3070. But, not much choice at this point. 😑
giphy.gif

kiphalfton

Almost had a card yesterday evening, from a newegg bundle... BUT after I submitted the purchase I saw my invoice only charged for the mobo that was bundled and didn't include the RTX 3080 that was also supposed to be bundled. This is some real shitty crap newegg is pulling, since they're focusing more on bundles (with crap like z390 nobody, RAM, crappy PSU's, etc.). Incidentally I have a i7-8700, so I could use the mobo.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I still haven't had luck with getting the 3080. My hope is that with the 3070 releasing and AMD fully announcing their GPUs, that steals some of the demand for the 3080 or at least throws enough confusion into the market where I can finally get one.

Based on my experience, shopping for a card online is the least effective means of actually getting one; I was successful by visiting a brick-and-mortar store (Micro Center) every weekday for four days an hour before opening and by calling an AIB partner directly and subsequently winding up on a waiting list.

You have to put in some leg work and alternative finger work. Visit your local brick-and-mortar stores, ask them when they expect to have cards, and then visit them daily before they open on the days that they expect to receive stock. Also, call EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, PNY, etc, directly and ask them if there is any way that you can order a card from them directly via phone.

Heck, drive to an AIB's factory, warehouse, or office if it's close enough.

kiphalfton

Based on my experience, shopping for a card online is the least effective means of actually getting one; I was successful by visiting a brick-and-mortar store (Micro Center) every weekday for four days an hour before opening and by calling an AIB partner directly and subsequently winding up on a waiting list.

You have to put in some leg work and alternative finger work. Visit your local brick-and-mortar stores, ask them when they expect to have cards, and then visit them daily before they open on the days that they expect to receive stock. Also, call EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, PNY, etc, directly and ask them if there is any way that you can order a card from them directly via phone.

Unfortunately not all of us have microcenter nearby, and instead only have Best Buy and [the tragedy that is] Fry's.

Also skeptical of calling MSI, EVGA, etc and asking to order directly from them...

Iorv3th

I'm going to go to microcenter when the new Ryzen CPUs come out and camp. It's on a Thursday so hopefully they will have some 3080's then too.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Unfortunately not all of us have microcenter nearby, and instead only have Best Buy and [the tragedy that is] Fry's.

Also skeptical of calling MSI, EVGA, etc and asking to order directly from them...

Why are you skeptical about calling AIBs directly? That's how I got my PNY XLR8 RTX 3090.

I'm going to go to microcenter when the new Ryzen CPUs come out and camp. It's on a Thursday so hopefully they will have some 3080's then too.

I'm going on that day and the following day if necessary in order to exchange my 3950X for a 5950X, since I bought the former because my previous system failed and I need a functioning computer in the meanwhile.

Zumbelico

Neo Member
Well I finally got one...and the best one too. Germany/Austria had a FE drop 2 days ago and I cought one. It's coming fellas. The 3080 is on its way!

At this point I just wanna thank myself for being such an awesome sport.
Didn't know that FE could be bought in Europe. Could you kindly Share from where you bought it?

kiphalfton

Why are you skeptical about calling AIBs directly? That's how I got my PNY XLR8 RTX 3090.

I'm going on that day and the following day if necessary in order to exchange my 3950X for a 5950X, since I bought the former because my previous system failed and I need a functioning computer in the meanwhile.

I guess it can't hurt, but I know how helpful phone CS usually is... Which isn't particular helpful (since most company's CS don't know WTF I'm asking half the time).

Thanks again man, bought the Focus GX850 as it was the only I could get with an acceptable time of arrival.

I have the FX-850 (i.e. one before yours). Haven't had any issues with it, going on 3 years now.

Right now with the way prices are, I think either the Seasonic GX, Super Flower Leader III, or Phanteks Amp is the way to go. I think EVGA went down in quality after the G3.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Going to have to stay strong if these 3070 rumors are true about there being a lot of stock. 3080 is what I want, but it's going to be awfully tempting if I just logon to Newegg and there are 3070's sitting there ready to be purchased.

mr.dilya

Banned

Damn bro you sound like a crack fiend.

waylo

Banned
Drive to the factory where they make the card. What fucking advice.

My advice if you want a 3080. Drive to Jensen's house and ask him.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Has anyone else run the Heaven benchmark on their 30 Series card? What are your results? Here are mine.

ZqkY5Pr.jpg

EDIT:

My 3950X is undervolted to 1.088 volts, which may be why the minimum frame rate is only 32 frames per second. At stock settings, the chip's voltage would spike to 1.433v and cause the temperature to reach as high as 62 degrees Celcius at idle.

Last edited:

Captn

Really pleased with the 4k results with the 3080. Paired with an LG CX, it's simply awesome.

Can't wait!! I ordered the CX 48, A Strix 3080 and a PS5. Will be using the tv for both devices. I'll get the CX calibrated so I can squeeze as much quality out of it and just feel my eyes bleed awesomeness loll :messenger_beaming:

Captn

Has anyone else run the Heaven benchmark on their 30 Series card? What are your results? Here are mine.

ZqkY5Pr.jpg

EDIT:

My 3950X is undervolted to 1.088 volts, which may be why the minimum frame rate is only 32 frames per second. At stock settings, the chip's voltage would spike to 1.433v and cause the temperature to reach as high as 62 degrees Celcius at idle.

Waiting for my Strix 3080 but in the meantime I tried to enter a 4k custom resolution but somehow it changed it since I have an Ultrawide for now 3440x1440

Not bad none the less :)

Last edited:

OutRun88

Can't wait!! I ordered the CX 48, A Strix 3080 and a PS5. Will be using the tv for both devices. I'll get the CX calibrated so I can squeeze as much quality out of it and just feel my eyes bleed awesomeness loll :messenger_beaming:
That's quite the haul. Enjoy it, you lucky bastard.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Waiting for my Strix 3080 but in the meantime I tried to enter a 4k custom resolution but somehow it changed it since I have an Ultrawide for now 3440x1440

Not bad none the less :)

Looks good, but I wonder what results you'd get at 4K. I guess that your monitor can't display 4K since it's higher than its native resolution.

sertopico

I think I need to change PSU, I currently own a modular Corsair HX750W, which I bought around 8 years ago. It might be a bit too tight for the FTW3 Ultra and an OC'ed 10700k, therefore I'd go for a 850W gold, any suggestions at reasonable prices and good performance? Price should be 250 euros tops.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think I need to change PSU, I currently own a modular Corsair HX750W, which I bought around 8 years ago. It might be a bit too tight for the FTW3 Ultra and an OC'ed 10700k, therefore I'd go for a 850W gold, any suggestions at reasonable prices and good performance? Price should be 250 euros tops.

What's your budget?

sertopico

What's your budget?
I wrote it. 250 euro/dollars tops.

Oh, I am having a small issue with my FTW3: basically on facebook, when a video is being autoplayed in any newsfeed and I refresh the page keeping the video on screen, the nvlddmkm driver crashes and is restored. When this happens I noticed that the core frequency spikes to 1800MHz, the browser's window goes black for one second and afterwards everything works again. This happens only with facebook's videos, if for instance I am watching a 4k video on yt and try to refresh nothing unusual happens. This problem occurs with the card at default settings, with no customized oc and so on. Only thing I did was switching to OC mode from the card itself. Can maybe somebody who owns a ftw3 test this particular scenario and report back?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Thanks, I was considering that, but I'd also like to go for a fully modular. My case is small enough already and I want to minimize the cable's presence.
The only non-modular cables of that PSU are the 8-pin cable for the CPU and the 24-pin cable for the motherboard, both of which you'll always need to have connected anyway.

J3nga

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Platinum
Seasonic FOCUS-GX-850 850W 80Plus Gold

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I was a bit late since i only ordered at 17th of September.

hope i will still at least get some info if i will get it in 2020.

great product launch nvidia just straight AAA

Top Bottom