• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Nydus

3070 Launch in Europe was a total shitshow again. Getting a FE was next to impossible. I tried for an hour. Most shops scalped from the getgo and took almost 3080 prices. A game I won't play with them.

I'll try to get a 6800XT and look how that goes with my B9 OLED (no freesync support so I'll have to hack it in)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Help me out here, guys. I don't typically overlock cards, but I want to overclock my RTX 3080 FTW3 for benchmarking purposes. I just screen-recorded a run through a level in Control with stock settings, which automatically boosts the card's core to varying frequencies, such as 1935MHz, 1950MHz, or 1965MHz, etc. However, if I want to overclock it to 2000MHz, how much do I add to the core since the core isn't a fixed frequency? Also, how much should I add to the memory clock?

I'm doing this to compare the performance of my RTX 3080 to my RTX 3090, which I'll also try to overclock.

c0YLg6N.jpg

mitchman

Gold Member
3070 Launch in Europe was a total shitshow again. Getting a FE was next to impossible. I tried for an hour. Most shops scalped from the getgo and took almost 3080 prices. A game I won't play with them.

I'll try to get a 6800XT and look how that goes with my B9 OLED (no freesync support so I'll have to hack it in)
B9 supports VRR, so you'll be fine (I also own a B9)

Nydus

B9 supports VRR, so you'll be fine (I also own a B9)
Yeah but AMD cards don't support VRR. :(

Help me out here, guys. I don't typically overlock cards, but I want to overclock my RTX 3080 FTW3 for benchmarking purposes. I just screen-recorded a run through a level in Control with stock settings, which automatically boosts the card's core to varying frequencies, such as 1935MHz, 1950MHz, or 1965MHz, etc. However, if I want to overclock it to 2000MHz, how much do I add to the core since the core isn't a fixed frequency? Also, how much should I add to the memory clock?

I'm doing this to compare the performance of my RTX 3080 to my RTX 3090, which I'll also try to overclock.

c0YLg6N.jpg
Put +500 on the memory and +150 on the core. If you're lucky the card will do it. You'll know if it doesn't :p

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Put +500 on the memory and +150 on the core. If you're lucky the card will do it. You'll know if it doesn't :p

I put as much as +290 on the core and the card jumped to 2010MHz for only a split second, while I had the camera directed at a ceiling; otherwise it topped out at 1965MHz. I'm guessing that the reason was the power limit; the card would hit its power limit of 380 watts in the 1900MHz range (i.e. 1950MHz, 1965MHz, etc), which it performed at most of the time.

So, I made the performance comparison without any manual overclocks. The area that I run through in the game equalizes the performance between my RTX 3080 and RTX 3090, as you can see below; my RTX 3090 usually renders the game at 60 to 80 frames per second while my 3080 typically renders it in the 50s, but that's not the case in the video.

Nydus

Yes they do. Freesync is just an AMD certification for a certain spec of adaptive sync which is the VESA VRR standard.

The 6000 series cards have HDMI 2.1 VRR.
Fuck yes thank you!!!! I thought they announced nothing and i had to hack it in with CRU, but with this my B9 wont need freesync support. Now Im pumped for the launch :D

Nydus

I put as much as +290 on the core and the card jumped to 2010MHz for only a split second, while I had the camera directed at a ceiling; otherwise it topped out at 1965MHz. I'm guessing that the reason was the power limit; the card would hit its power limit of 380 watts in the 1900MHz range (i.e. 1950MHz, 1965MHz, etc), which it performed at most of the time.

So, I made the performance comparison without any manual overclocks. The area that I run through in the game equalizes the performance between my RTX 3080 and RTX 3090, as you can see below; my RTX 3090 usually renders the game at 60 to 80 frames per second while my 3080 typically renders it in the 50s, but that's not the case in the video.

You put +290 on the core and it didnt crash? Thats ridiculous! The FTW3 Ultra has a base clock of 1800. That would mean a boost to 2090 Mhz lol Somethings not right there. I never heard of anyone completing a benchmark with almost 2100Mhz BASE BOOST on air. Use GPU-Z and look what it shows you as Boost Clock. Thats a good comparison.

Your boost clock varies heavily from game to game and from scene to scene. Rainbow Six and other esport titles allow much higher boost clocks then more graphic intense games. So the average boost is very hard to compare if you dont use a fixed benchmark run like 3dmark etc.

You can also delete all those CPU things in your tests runs. you dont need them. :D

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You put +290 on the core and it didnt crash? Thats ridiculous! The FTW3 Ultra has a base clock of 1800. That would mean a boost to 2090 Mhz lol Somethings not right there. I never heard of anyone completing a benchmark with almost 2100Mhz BASE BOOST on air. Use GPU-Z and look what it shows you as Boost Clock. Thats a good comparison.

Your boost clock varies heavily from game to game and from scene to scene. Rainbow Six and other esport titles allow much higher boost clocks then more graphic intense games. So the average boost is very hard to compare if you dont use a fixed benchmark run like 3dmark etc.

You can also delete all those CPU things in your tests runs. you dont need them. :D

Yep, it didn't crash. I guess that it will throttle itself if its power limit or thermal tolerance is triggered long before it can even run with the additional 290 MHz. As you can see in the video, it continuously run at 376 to 379 watts, which are right near its power limit of 380 watts.

Nydus

Yep, it didn't crash. I guess that it will throttle itself if its power limit or thermal tolerance is triggered long before it can even run with the additional 290 MHz. As you can see in the video, it continuously run at 376 to 379 watts, which are right near its power limit of 380 watts.
Then try the 450W BIOS and put the fans to 100% to see its limits. That chip would be Titanium tier <.<

So guys, I've ordered an RTX 3080 but it doesn't have a confirmed date (of course..) so who knows when/if I'll ever get it. But I actually managed to secure an RTX 3070 yesterday, but I don't really know what to do..

I can see a few different options here:

- Discard the order and wait for the 3080, however long that may take

- Pick up the 3070 and just keep it

- Pick up the 3070 and sell it once the 3080 is available

Which option is the least stupid? I do think the 3080 suits my needs better.. But I really, really, really want to play Cyberpunk at the release. I can't imagine that I'll get the 3080 before that (unless there's an additional delay)

Last edited:

Nydus

So guys, I've ordered an RTX 3080 but it doesn't have a confirmed date (of course..) so who knows when/if I'll ever get it. But I actually managed to secure an RTX 3070 yesterday, but I don't really know what to do..

I can see a few different options here:

- Discard the order and wait for the 3080, however long that may take

- Pick up the 3070 and just keep it

- Pick up the 3070 and sell it once the 3080 is available

Which option is the least stupid? I do think the 3080 suits my needs better.. But I really, really, really want to play Cyberpunk at the release. I can't imagine that I'll get the 3080 before that (unless there's an additional delay)
Pick the last option. its the best for you and someone gets a slightly used but cheaper 3070 :)

ZywyPL

Banned

c0YLg6N.jpg

Simplest way IMO is to use to voltage curve in MSI Afterburner (CTRL+F), where you can set the frequency precisely at 2000Hz and adjust the voltage, preferably trying to undervolt the card at the same time so the temps are lower and it's actually able to maintain that clock.

Nydus

Huge FE drop in Germany today. As luck had it, I was on the road to pick up my son and by the time I got home it was all over. Scored a 3070 for a friend though and panic bought a 3090 :messenger_face_screaming: either I'm giving it away for the original price or send it back unused. It's just too expensive for me :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
My first 3080 pre-order got pushed to 2021, so I randomly checked another supplier website today, and lo and behold there was a couple of Asus TUF OC 3080s available (all gone now..) for delivery next week. Thanks AMD :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Hack it in?

Cool, Amazon.co.uk will be delivering next week the order I placed for an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra last September 17th, it took them quite some time but the did it.

I will sell my ASUS RTX 3080 TUF Gaming to a friend of mine for the same price I paid for it.

I rather stick with the EVGA for the step up program besides being the best 3080 build out there

Last edited:

kiphalfton

There's a spreadsheet on reddit/etc. showing where people are in the queue for EVGA... but I can't make heads or tails what it means, since the data isn't consistent.

What queue is the furthest along?
When are the RTX 3070 queue notifications expected to go out?

Does anyone have any good DLSS tests for competitive FPS? I'm curious about how viable it is for competitive high FPS gaming in terms of responsiveness and motion clarity.

I've been having this issue where my monitors' screens turn to black for a few moments. Usually (or always, I'm not sure) when I'm watching youtube. It feels like a driver crash. Never happens while playing games.
I have the latest driver. But it was happening with the previous one as well.

RTX 3080 Gigabyte Gaming OC.

I've been having this issue where my monitors' screens turn to black for a few moments. Usually (or always, I'm not sure) when I'm watching youtube. It feels like a driver crash. Never happens while playing games.

Same thing happens to me! Gigabyte 3070 Eagle OC. Sometimes it happens randomly when using Chrome. Never had any issue while gaming though. I have to unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in.

Same thing happens to me! Gigabyte 3070 Eagle OC. Sometimes it happens randomly when using Chrome. Never had any issue while gaming though. I have to unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in.
I use firefox instead of chrome. And i just have to wait a couple of seconds. I don't need to do anything. When the image comes back the youtube video is on a lower resolution for a few seconds.

I'm very happy with my 3070 so far. It fits really well in my tiny Fractal Node 202 case and actually runs pretty quiet.

Might upgrade to a 3080 though when it's available.. 🙄 (I found a version that actually fits the case!)

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my 3070 so far. It fits really well in my tiny Fractal Node 202 case and actually runs pretty quiet.

Might upgrade to a 3080 though when it's available.. 🙄 (I found a version that actually fits the case!)
Enjoy your new card! 3080/90 availability is a nightmare. I think we might see a Super edition like Mister Wolf Mister Wolf mentioned before "regular" cards they are largely in stock. It's a joke.

I had to get my 3080 from a re-seller because there was no other option.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
If you're in EU and still trying to hunt a card there are groups in Discord (Part Stock Alert) and Telegram (Part 3080/3070 Alert) which are pretty neat.

Since I joined those a couple days ago I've had chances to get both 3070s and 3080s, though the prices didn't quite agree with me yet so I'm waiting.

Enjoy your new card! 3080/90 availability is a nightmare. I think we might see a Super edition like Mister Wolf Mister Wolf mentioned before "regular" cards they are largely in stock. It's a joke.

I had to get my 3080 from a re-seller because there was no other option.
Yup, that's why I ordered the 3070 as soon as it was released - it sold out in two minutes, so I was lucky.

I figured, I most likely won't get a 3080 anyway, so. Now, a retailer in Sweden where I've ordered claims that the card should be stocked November 30th. Well I'm not holding my breath, and the 3070 serves me really well so far.

As long as I can play Cyberpunk at the release, I'm good 🤩

Ulysses 31

Not happening here on my 3090 but I'm using a Samsung QLED TV as monitor.

That's exactly why I decided to buy 3080 that was available from a trusted person and relatively close to where I live.

I don't want to miss on Cyberpunk and my initial 3090 order probably would not be fulfilled in this calendar year.

What brand of card you got?
Wise choice!

I got the Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3070 EAGLE OC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom