• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Jezbollah

It seems quite cliquey to say, but I'm an Asus Strix guy (groan) - so I've been holding off waiting for that card. So I'm a lucky guy.

But I'm glad Jay has been doing his thing with this story. I hope those who invested in 3080s are able to RMA and get a reliable replacement asap.

I do wonder when the smoke clears, if the fact the makers got this design late in the day may be a factor here.

Myths

Gonna have to take apart my GPU and see if there’s an dust built up and if the paste has solidified. It’s been freezing up on me but it’s also been quite some time since I’ve applied new thermal compound.

GHG

Gonna have to take apart my GPU and see if there’s an dust built up and if the paste has solidified. It’s been freezing up on me but it’s also been quite some time since I’ve applied new thermal compound.

What card? I'm assuming not a 3080 based on "quite some time"?

I never repaste my GPU not even once.

Yeh, unless you are modding the card for watercooling its completely unnecessary.

Ivory Blood

There was obviously a higher power watching over me on launch day (and any subsequent day when I've checked stock) preventing me from buying one of these cards.

It would have been an absolute nightmare for me from a warranty perspective considering I always tend to buy my PC parts from overseas (the mark up in my country from local companies is INSANE, 30-50% on average, even when taking into account international shipping and customs).

2070 Super I will hold you dear until I find a worthy replacement.

Hopefully Nvidia can get the AIB's straightened out ASAP. They need to be more strict with them. That's 2 new series launches in a row now where they've fucked up.
You and me both - got two cancellations of MSI card orders. Asus Strix it is, whenever they are actually available.

Kadayi

Banned
Buildzoid's take on the issue:

43 minutes...

7a1250cdc5dd3cad6c42cd3dd8dccb47.gif

You got the cliff notes there GHG GHG , because ain't no one got the time for that

Last edited:

Nydus

Yeh, unless you are modding the card for watercooling its completely unnecessary.
I never repaste my GPU not even once.
My old 2080Ti from gigabyte had noisy fanbursts all of a sudden. I thought it was a driver glitch but when I sold it, the buyer had the same problem. Turns out (especially on gigabyte cards) the past gets really dry, really quickly and is hampering the cards in a meaningful way. Gigabyte even RMA cards because of that.

Kadayi

Banned
Nvidia needs to approve the AIB PCB designs that end up going to retail and they also set the guidelines/requirements for things like capacitors.

TLDR: this mess is ultimately Nvidia's fault. If you allow the AIB's to cheap out and cut corners they will.

And at the same time, Nvidia builds their own cards above their recommended spec... 🤔

Mista

Banned
Yesterday I went to the biggest PC shop here and I was surprised to see legit reservations of the new cards. I asked the guy how and when as we spoke about the launch fuckery. He said that the shop is going to be Nvidia’s partner soon which is massive news. He also hammered Nvidia for their shit launch and said “even a kid in high school can make a system to stop bots, let alone Nvidia” the dude was right

Myths

Zotac 2080Ti. And it is very necessary if you’re running your card hard. Water cooling would probably be a reason you wouldn’t have to open it thereafter. Otherwise, relying on just thermal paste/compound in addition to air cooling without upkeep is a terrible idea.

In my case, I have to since I do run it often and the temps are starting to get to be a bit much.

Rygeist

Banned
So is there a list of what cards to avoid and which don't have issues? I assume the FE is a safe bet?

I believe the Gigabyte and EVGA cards are having issues. I myself got an FE and I’m just hoping it doesn’t lead to crashing games like reports have said.

kiphalfton

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the issues thus far that justifies waiting (whether you have a choice or not):
1) Stock issues
2) Driver issues with LG 10 series OLED'S
3) Higher VRAM versions rumored to come out at later date
4) General driver issues/crashes
5) Cap issues

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nvidia needs to approve the AIB PCB designs that end up going to retail and they also set the guidelines/requirements for things like capacitors.

TLDR: this mess is ultimately Nvidia's fault. If you allow the AIB's to cheap out and cut corners they will.
He clarifies later at 34:44 that there's not necessarily enough information to definitively say that it's 100% Nvidia's fault, and that there are really 2 likely candidates.

It could be the partners' fault if they're shipping too high overclocks out of the box without properly testing them first, or it could be Nvidia's fault if Nvidia didn't give out clear enough design guidelines. Without more info, we can't really say which is the actual reason.

Like most other things in life, I'm going to guess that it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B. After all, one could argue that Nvidia should have given the partners more time, but then again, you could also argue that Nvidia didn't do that because the partners are too leaky with info, so the blame game can go around in circles all day long.

Reactions: GHG

Myths

If I'm not mistaken, Zotac has been trashed for being slower than other cards... But supposedly they did it to avoid the crashes.
I heard about that too, I’m just going to wait it out as they usually have their “AMP Extreme” line of binned cards. Might even see a 20GB version drop by that time too, who knows.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Weird how you can have such different takeaways from the same video.

People buy these cards based on specs these companies provide.

It's clear it can't deal with it because of hardware issues. So either these cards need to recalled and refunds need to be possible.

Jay is biased as fuck here and tries to damage control it, because he clearly has interest in this manner by keeping his supply chain happy.

Also wtf is that hole in the back plate lol, why not cover it up completely.
Launch is a disaster. Even JayNoSense, massive Nvidia fanboy is piling in on Ampere, video has over 1m views:

I told you guys not to get suckered in to this disaster, unicorn priced '$700' 3080s with gimped 10GB memory and underwhelming performance in rasterization AND RT compared to what they tried to sell us.

Pathetic 3090 just 10% faster than 3080. No OC headroom across the board. Ludicrous power draw.

Now one nugget for you: there is an RDNA2 card that will 'compete' with the 3080 and it's rated at 250W...

If I'm not mistaken, Zotac has been trashed for being slower than other cards... But supposedly they did it to avoid the crashes.

Right, but anyone could slow down the other cards to reduce or stop the problem. The point is, they screwed up the same as the others by using lower quality parts.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Linus has a good conversation here about the 3090 and the criticisms that it is "only 15% better for $800 more boo hoo". I feel like the people making that criticism aren't paying attention or aren't trying to be serious or realistic.

Rikkori

So is there a list of what cards to avoid and which don't have issues? I assume the FE is a safe bet?
You should not particularly avoid any of them. The issues are easily fixable because they seem to relate to boost behaviour more than anything. Frequency capping and/or undervolting completely mitigates it. There's nothing to worry about tbh, but the Internet likes to sensationalise everything. If you want to REALLY OC the card super-hard then go for an Asus one (but be vigilant - we don't know to what extent reviewers samples & production units align), but otherwise it's honestly near irrelevant.

Jonsoncao

Banned
🤔🤔🤔

Hopefully the 3060Ti has an excellent form factor, so that I can build a capable rig for personal gaming with similar size to XSS.

Still waiting for the Ampere equivalent of Tesla P100 for work.

Ascend

Right, but anyone could slow down the other cards to reduce or stop the problem. The point is, they screwed up the same as the others by using lower quality parts.
Well... I don't think I can say that they screwed up as much as the others, simply because they didn't ship the card with crashing issues. I'd rather have a few FPS less rather than an unstable card out of the box.

Besides, it's nVidia that provides the minimum specs. And we have reports of the AIBs themselves not knowing details about these GPUs and having to reprint boxes. These cards were made in a rush due to how nVidia handled things, so... Yeah. Why Asus created the TUF the way they did is beyond me. But they are a lot larger than the other AIBs and can potentially put more resources to get things working well in a short amount of time. And considering the prices of many of the AIB cards, it actually looks like their margins are quite minimal, which would push them to use cheaper parts.

I'm not sure whether I should upgrade from my 1080ti to the 3080, yeah I know its more powerful but apart from cyberpunk, I don't see myself playing any games that require it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the issues thus far that justifies waiting (whether you have a choice or not):
1) Stock issues
2) Driver issues with LG 10 series OLED'S
3) Higher VRAM versions rumored to come out at later date
4) General driver issues/crashes
5) Cap issues
Generally yes. The worst is stock issues since I cannot get 3080 FE for the life of me and I've already sold 2070 lol.
Caps can be an issue but this just might be exaggerated and maybe they can fix it with new firmware or driver release.

As for 20gb versions incoming - Sure, Of course thats truth. There is always something new coming... kinda sadly

kiphalfton

Generally yes. The worst is stock issues since I cannot get 3080 FE for the life of me and I've already sold 2070 lol.
Caps can be an issue but this just might be exaggerated and maybe they can fix it with new firmware or driver release.

As for 20gb versions incoming - Sure, Of course thats truth. There is always something new coming... kinda sadly

I'm probably just going to buy a used GTX 1080Ti for <$300 (if EVGA has a sale on their b-stock cards again on Wednesday) and be done with the RTX 3080 search.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have no clue what u are on about. Explain it more detailed.
You both watched the same video, and you both think Jay is an Nvidia shill/fanboy, but while you think Jay was doing "damage control" because of that bias, CB thought Jay was "piling in on", i.e. being critical of them despite that bias. One video, two opposite interpretations. I find that fascinating.

BWJinxing

I brought a rtx 2080 super. I'm going to go the evga trade up route to a 3080, as coming from a 1080 ( non ti) running a 4k display, I get a bump while I wait out 60 days, hopefully the 20gb will drop by then.

I got 90 days to sit on it before triggering the upgrade

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

When the hell is the Asus strix 3080 supposed to launch? Also for those more informed is the strix supposed to be the better card when compared to the evga ftw3? Appearance wise the strix looks a lot cleaner with reasonable rgb whereas the ftw3 is a lot more risky design wise with a lot of rgb.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
When the hell is the Asus strix 3080 supposed to launch? Also for those more informed is the strix supposed to be the better card when compared to the evga ftw3? Appearance wise the strix looks a lot cleaner with reasonable rgb whereas the ftw3 is a lot more risky design wise with a lot of rgb.

1. According to Best Buy, the ROG Strix RTX 3080 was released on September 17th, whereas the ROG Strix RTX 3090 will be released on October 29th.

2. The ROG Strix 3000 Series has more RGB lighting than the EVGA FTW3. The Strix has RGB lighting behind each of its three fans and along the side of it opposite its PCIe connector, whereas the FTW3 has RGB lighting only along the side of it that's opposite its PCIe connector (in addition to a small series of RGB text on its top side that reads "EVGA").

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
At the online store where I ordered my 3080 TUF they have this image of it:

QA6baa0.png

..Which begs a lot of questions..

Edit: This is the same image they use for the official image of the back at Asus.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom