• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that E3 is dead. What was the single greatest E3 event?

nashman

E3 is dead dead. Whats its greatest moment?

Its obvoiusly Konami 2010 all of it. That will live in infamy. Close second goes too......MS kinect = Milo/Starwars/petting the tiger. 3rd is the Killzone 2 trailer.

What other moments will be forever etched in your memory?

digdug2

pptUo6t.jpg

kiphalfton

I’m so happy I got to go to E3 before they started letting the general public in. My best friends brother worked for Bungie at the time and got us in. I was one of the first people to play on a PS4 and Xbox One before they released.

Yeah, the hardware was always something that appealed to me big time. Or the games nobody else had had a chance to play or see. Sad that I'll never get to experience that (for one because gaming doesn't mean the same to me as it used to, and secondly because leakers, game shows, and Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo streaming events have ruined the fun).

Larxia

E3 2013 for me, by far. What an insane moment.
So many of my biggest gaming dreams were shown there, I've never been that excited again during a gaming event.

Note that I'm only talking about the trailers / announcements, the emotion they created when I saw these, not the final games themselves, so let's not get into how this or this game was disappointing etc. As a E3 experience, this was fantastic.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Weirdly enough the first devolver showcase.I remember watching it live expecting nothing and it became the weirdest conf I've ever witnessed.Sure it was over the top and too much of ... basically everything but I had fun and was surp^rised by some things.
It wasn't the best showcase/conf but it was different enough to be engraved in my mind.

SJRB

Gold Member
The wildest E3 was easily the one where Microsoft first announced their DRM-ridden, always-online no disc sharing insanely anti-consumer Xbox One that left everyone shocked and in complete disarray and fearful for Sony, only for them to step up and absolutely annihilate Microsoft by basically telling how fucking retarded their ideas were and Sony wasn't having none of that.

The adrenaline was insane. Plus I live in Europe so that Microsoft show was from 10 pm to 12am, then there was EA and Ubisoft and Sony show was at 4am. Absolutely wild night.

Never forget how they tried to fuck everyone up the ass with that Xbone.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Sony's E3 2015 in it's entirety
It was the most legendary showing of any video game company
In fact it was so surreal, I took a screenshot that day of these three threads in disbelieve of what I just witnessed

XptHOkQ.png
It’s wild that a modern e3 can have such an impact even when put up against the badassery of “299” and Twilight Princess.

That Sony show that year had people in literal tears. Legendary gaming myths rising from the ashes into reality…I don’t think we will ever witness a more epic event than that.

Its so sad that E3 is dead. I never got the hate the show got by some as it allowed people to play games and wasn't all stage managed.

Some of my Fav memories are...

E3 1997 - Seeing Quake and Duke Nukem 3D running on the Sega Saturn for the 1st time blew my mind.

E3 1999 - Seeing NFL 2K running on the DC for the 1st time, I even remember telling my mate it was like watching TV (God those were the days LOL) I was also so impressed with Maken X and the Arcade demo of Dead or Alive 2 blew my mind

E3 2000 - Not a happy memory, but an incredible moment nonetheless and that was the showcase of MGS2 on the PS2. Up until that moment, I thought the DC had a chance in the USA and wasn't even outclassed in the Gfx dept either, in fact many games looked better on the DC. The MGS2 demo changed all that it was lightyears ahead of what the DC could do and an incredible tech demonstration. That was the day I knew the DC was dead. It wasn't piracy that killed the DC, but Konami and MGS2

E3 2001 - With the death of the SEGA Hardware dream I was like a lost little Welsh Lamb and had no idea where to go next for my next console. That all changed in E3 2001 when Smilbit showed off a 10% JSRF running on the Xbox and it blew my mind

E3 2002 - Seeing Panzer Dragoon Orta running on the Xbox with graphics that blew anything else (even on the PC) out of the water and boy did Orta have lovely water effects

E3 20018 - Many on here and other sites said XBox was dead, MS was reducing the size of their Booth they're pulling out Ect. Only for Team Xbox to have one of their best E3 shows ever with huge announcements of In-House studio investments and the Forza Horizon 4 demo was a masterclass in how you showcase your game and I loved the touch of the falling leaves in E3 both too

Last edited:
In the time I watched E3 it would either be the Sony conference in 2015 or 2016.

But just for The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII remake and Shenmue 3, I would have to say 2015.

Both conferences were huge. The biggest I'd ever seen. And 2010 was pretty packed. Especially with Gabe Newell coming out and the whole stand by for surprise announcement

Sony's 2016 GoW orchester press conference was imho the best ever. It had great announcements, rivaling 2015, but beginning with that intense GoW introduction and throughout it was just fantastic pacing and tone, not just trailers nonchalantly dropping, but actually feeling like a show they were proud to have and present their work from past years to us.

Speaking of which; what in the world happened to giving live demos? Its like publishers and developers really do not want to sell us on the core aspects of games anymore (gamplay).
the risk of having some crash or worse, a meme worthy glitch, is probably not worth it.

I believe most of the last "live" demos were anyway faked especially the mp ones, people pretending to play and do way too perfectly exactly what they planned to do. So it is either a difficulty reduced and disabled or heavily special scripted enemies showing no one will play later, or possibly prerecorded like the SW Kinect demo which is less obvious with pretend gamepad inputs.

Wait was that in U2? Or was it a Halo2 e3 moment that wasnt in the game. Ive only played all of U1, a bit of U2 and most of U4.
Dude oh my God. I think I actually remember watching this back then. I've watched so many E3's that my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I watched this live/after school.

I probably came home all hype, turned the TV to G4 and braced myself for good ol' 2009 Sony. Pretty sure this level was a downloadable demo too that I played a bunch of times.

It's also so funny when I boot up my PS3 because I downloaded every piece of Uncharted media I could from the PS store back then. I have the Spike Videogame Awards trailer on there, the Accolades trailer, everything.

I mean holy Christ!!!, this level alone is responsible for one of the grestest set pieces of all time, as well as one of the greatest videogame musical scores ever produced! Greg Edmonson is a genius!

I wish games these days, PS5 games especially carried the same level of hype that Uncharted 2 did but unfortunately I'm not sure we'll ever reach that point.

Maybe for me it'll be Ghost of Tsushima 2 as the first one did blow my mind when it was announced. That and Days Gone were both incredible new IP's.

Last edited:
Sony's 2016 GoW orchester press conference was imho the best ever. It had great announcements, rivaling 2015, but beginning with that intense GoW introduction and throughout it was just fantastic pacing and tone, not just trailers nonchalantly dropping, but actually feeling like a show they were proud to have and present their work from past years to us.
I think this is the one to top them all. I felt honored to watch this as it was happening on my TV. It was truly incredible.

Top Bottom