• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noita trailer | Physics-based roguelite platformer from Swapper, Crayon Physics devs

Also the devs of Environmental Station Alpha, a really great hidden gem of a metroidvania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLoffoZLH8

Noita is a magical action rogue-lite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've crafted yourself.

Pixel-based physics: Every pixel in the world is simulated. Burn, explode or melt anything. Swim in the blood of your foes!
Your own magic: Create new spells as you delve deeper into the caverns. Use your magic to crush your enemies and manipulate the world around you.
Action rogue-lite: Death is permanent and always a looming threat. When you die, don’t despair, use what you’ve learned to get further on your next adventure.
Procedurally generated world: Explore a unique world every time you play. Discover new environments as you adventure deeper.
screenshot_000.jpg
screenshot_001.jpg

Fun fact: Noita means witch in Finnish :D

The magic effects look really cool. Really makes it look like you got some nasty spells in your arsenal.

I really, really liked The Swapper, and this game has a cool look, but I would have been more interested if they were doing another puzzle-y game. I'm not one of the "procedural generation and roguelike games are bad!" people, but releasing that sort of game these days has to be a nightmare because there are so many of them.

nynt9

The swapper is one of my favorite games of all time so I'm very interested in seeing how this shapes up.

This looks like the best parts of Brogue mixed with the best parts of Catacomb Kids

In other words, pretty awesome

I really, really liked The Swapper, and this game has a cool look, but I would have been more interested if they were doing another puzzle-y game. I'm not one of the "procedural generation and roguelike games are bad!" people, but releasing that sort of game these days has to be a nightmare because there are so many of them.
The good ones stand out and get recognized. Plus this seems to have a physics puzzle aspect of figuring out how to use the envirommemt to your advantage without killing yourself in the process

Stoze

That's an eclectic combination of devs, neat that they formed their own three-person studio just for this.

Putting it on my mental wishlist.

Huggy

Jeez that looks bloody amazing.
I generally don't buy during Early Access, but this will be one of those exceptions.

Damn loved all those games. In for this, reminds me of catacomb kids though, except more physics.
This looks more aggressive and action focused, versus CK's stealth and mobility. But the reactivity and interlocking systems is definitely reminiscent of CK. While the environmental simulation looks like Brogue's gas mechanic x 1000

I like how powerful the spells feel in the trailer. Environmental destruction and interaction go a long way in making magic feel like more than fancy projectiles.

453fIQf.gif

Radnom

The physics and destructible terrain look nice and remind me of Cortex Command and Liero as others have mentioned. I wonder how the levels are being generated (if they are).

The spells look really fun. The way the ice cracks off is really impressive.

I'm definitely not a big fan of the rotating 'pixels' though. The game is more like a series of rectangles, and not 'pixel art'. I'd much prefer if it were simply rendered at the resolution it's presenting as so you don't end up with mismatched pixel sizes. I'm not a big fan of the smooth glow either, but that's not as disturbing as the rotated pixels.

To me it's like sanding down an oil painting to stop it being so lumpy. That's part of the reason you do an oil painting in the first place!

I know most people don't care, but I see it so often now and it feels like an amateur mistake or a fundamental misunderstanding of the medium. It makes me think the creator doesn't really want to do a pixel art game, they just don't have the resources to render higher resolution assets. Embrace the pixels! Embrace the grid! Embrace the low colour count that made these older games so timelessly beautiful in the first place.

Embrace the pixels! Embrace the grid! Embrace the low colour count that made these older games so timelessly beautiful in the first place.
I think you misunderstand why devs do pixel art, at least the ones who aren't trying to intentionally make homages. It's not about being retro, or trying to look like older games.

(Although personally I can't stand the pixel look of old games and only like modern pixel art.)

Radnom

I think you misunderstand why devs do pixel art, at least the ones who aren't trying to intentionally make homages. It's not about being retro or trying to look like older games

(Although personally I can't stand the pixel look of old games and only like modern pixel art.)

I am a dev who does pixel art. I gravitate towards pixel art because it's easy and cheap to animate and make it look good, and for gameplay reasons - you can align physics to a grid (and get those pixel-perfect jumps). You can have full control over every pixel on the screen. I love pixel art! It's also really easy to get it to align to a grid, and limiting your palette often ends up with amazing results. You can have great pixel art that looks modern but still adheres to old constraints!

I am a dev who does pixel art. I gravitate towards pixel art because it's easy and cheap to animate and make it look good, and for gameplay reasons - you can align physics to a grid (and get those pixel-perfect jumps). You can have full control over every pixel on the screen. I love pixel art! It's also really easy to get it to align to a grid, and limiting your palette often ends up with amazing results. You can have great pixel art that looks modern but still adheres to old constraints!
But why limit yourself to those old constraints when you can do so much more with pixel art?

bede-x

Also the devs of Environmental Station Alpha, a really great hidden gem of a metroidvania

I thought he was doing Environmental Station Alpha 2? The first one was such a great and overlooked game, which makes me interested in Noita, though I'd rather have ESA2 than some roguelite..

Slermy

I'm definitely not a big fan of the rotating 'pixels' though. The game is more like a series of rectangles, and not 'pixel art'. I'd much prefer if it were simply rendered at the resolution it's presenting as so you don't end up with mismatched pixel sizes. I'm not a big fan of the smooth glow either, but that's not as disturbing as the rotated pixels.

Came to post this!

I do think the game looks though, and as much as this visual aspect bothers me, the gameplay looks really fun and I want to play it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'll throw one more comparison on the table that's a real throwback: looks like a sidescrolling Magic Carpet to me. Which is personally awesome.

What kind of PC would likely be needed to run something like this decently? I generally rely on these games making it to the consoles to get access, but this might be one where I'd like to get access as early as possible.

Drain You

This looks amazing. I just got to the final boss on Rogue Legacy, so I'm fiending for something in the same vein. Really enjoyed the Swapper on Vita too so I'm really hoping this ends up being good.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I like how powerful the spells feel in the trailer. Environmental destruction and interaction go a long way in making magic feel like more than fancy projectiles.

453fIQf.gif

Nice, at least someone is picking up where Cortex Command left off. Looks good.

Marow

On one hand I love the graphics, style, music, explosions and the fact one of the developers did Environmental Station Alpha.

On the other hand, I always become wary of "rogue-lite" and "procedurally generated" (ironically, even though I haven't played that many).

That said, looking forward to it.

On one hand I love the graphics, style, music, explosions and the fact one of the developers did Environmental Station Alpha.

On the other hand, I always become wary of "rogue-lite" and "procedurally generated" (ironically, even though I haven't played that many).

That said, looking forward to it.
Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Downwell, Catacomb Kids, Vagante, Cave Blazers, Binding of Isaac, etc

The good ones are really good.

EVO

Fuck yeah this look great. Reminds me of Pixeljunk Shooter, which I absolutely loved. Digging the soundtrack too.

Top Bottom