• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 3 launches on PS4/5, XBO, XSX/S and PC on October 11

Draugoth

Gold Member

FYCNpEZWAAY7odU

Last edited:
This feels like I’m back in the PS2/Xbox/GC era where a game franchise would come out for PS2 and then they would randomly release a sequel of it for all 3 platforms. Those other players had to just deal with never knowing what happened in the first few parts.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Really enjoyed the game and I was planning to re-buy it but with both Bayonetta 3 and Mario + Rabbits 2 coming in October as well, I have no room for this game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No More Heroes 3 needs Enable Steam Input to function on my setup with my controller. It also launches Oculus software like it thinks it's a VR game. It has few graphical options in a separate configuration app (not sure if it can all also be changed in-game though, it's listed there as well with more stuff). Slight issues like aliasing and some texture streaming visible here and there. Also some videos aren't in-engine despite seeming so. Other than that it feels pretty damn cool and takes me back to first playing the original game in the best way possible (not with the barebones PC version, yuck).

Edit: I was going to add screenshots but, at least with my settings in regards to resolution, mode and whatever else, Afterburner just got blank black screens 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

chaseroni

Was playing the PC version last night, I was like "this runs extremely well"

...well its a switch port not a PS5 port LOL

Gonna refund on steam until this is sorted out, will just play on PS5. Love the game tho

Needlecrash

So odd that the game used two porting companies (Muteki for consoles, Bees Tribe for PC) for this. Should have went with Engine Software instead.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No More Heroes 3 needs Enable Steam Input to function on my setup with my controller. It also launches Oculus software like it thinks it's a VR game. It has few graphical options in a separate configuration app (not sure if it can all also be changed in-game though, it's listed there as well with more stuff). Slight issues like aliasing and some texture streaming visible here and there. Also some videos aren't in-engine despite seeming so. Other than that it feels pretty damn cool and takes me back to first playing the original game in the best way possible (not with the barebones PC version, yuck).

Edit: I was going to add screenshots but, at least with my settings in regards to resolution, mode and whatever else, Afterburner just got blank black screens 🤷‍♂️
You can get NMH3 ini edits here. I haven't seen comparison screens. The intro seemed the same to me but apparently they don't apply all stuff to cut scenes.
Also you can add -nohmd in the launch options to get rid of the VR stuff starting up.

Didn't know there had been a PS4 version so as a Switch port this seemed okay. It's also the original vs something like DQXI being a later downgrade. Not that they couldn't have done a better job but oh well, again, the game is fun (I also prefer NMH1 on Wii vs PS3 but that had art style changes).

Edit: I watched the intro bits on a PS5 youtube video and it looks like they made that much better, you can see the actual city where on PC it's gone and there's some super low res skybox thing with I dunno, a tree and a light post, you can barely tell since it's so low resolution really, PS1-like stuff.

Also this is the first game I ever get drifting in with my DS4, it must have 0 deadzone (even so I set it to 0 in RA with no issues so far). It's not really an issue as you need to tilt the stick just right (or wrong) and let it go super lightly to continue walking without you pressing anything, just saying...

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I love NMH and I was excited that 3 will come to PS5. I think the price is fair, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 59 or so. But its 45 with Plus.

I like it so far. Its a lot like the original game which is good. But NMH3 has much more responsive gameplay and performance.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love NMH and I was excited that 3 will come to PS5. I think the price is fair, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 59 or so. But its 45 with Plus.

I like it so far. Its a lot like the original game which is good. But NMH3 has much more responsive gameplay and performance.
The combat in NMH3 is vastly improved compare to 1st & 2nd game, especially compare to 2nd game because to me NMH2's combat was too button mashy, you didn't even had to use perfect dodge in that game.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So, I get the impression that no one played this on the PS5/XSX ?

Got this a couple of weeks ago for my XSX and...I like it, it's more Suda51 fuckery which is fine by me, the aesthetics/art-direction, writing (what writing? 😁) , characters and OST are all there so everything is fine.

What's not fine though is the friggin' texture loading that happens e-v-e-r-y time the screen loads something new, the actual loading screens which can take up to 6-7 seconds, the almost non-existent texture work on some parts of the game (i.e : the DVD cases/covers in the video shop are literally "blobs") and the - pretty much - empty city, I can understand that it was the same in NMH1 but that was ages ago and it gives the game this very, very budget feeling.
At least, it runs at a rock solid 60fps compared to the abominable framerate of the switch version.

On the plus side, the combat is the best it's ever been since it's very fluid, features nice animations and is more complex than ever with perfect dodges, perfect counters, grabs, jumping attacks and various unlockable moves.
Exploration is fine, bike feels fine/fun to ride, all the classic NMH1 minigames are there and the overworld, while barren and sterile as fook it gives this very chill/relaxed feeling when doing chores/exploring etc due to its clean and uncluttered look (maybe it was done on purpose like this?) in conjunction with the chill jazzy soundtrack in the background, I really like it, the game really is greater than the sum of its parts, still, this is a budget release through and through and IMO, it should have released at no more than 30-35 bucks/eurotrons.

To sum it all up :
- Game runs perfectly fine at 60fps but everything is really low budget and it shows.

- Texture loading issues/bad texture work.

- Plays perfectly fine and it's very enjoyable if you are a NMH/Suda51 fan.

PS: how I wish for a high budget Suda51 game - maybe the games would lose their edgy/hipster/punk "soul" that way and yet, I can help but wonder what the results would be.

anthony2690

Banned
So, I get the impression that no one played this on the PS5/XSX ?

Got this a couple of weeks ago for my XSX and...I like it, it's more Suda51 fuckery which is fine by me, the aesthetics/art-direction, writing (what writing? 😁) , characters and OST are all there so everything is fine.

What's not fine though is the friggin' texture loading that happens e-v-e-r-y time the screen loads something new, the actual loading screens which can take up to 6-7 seconds, the almost non-existent texture work on some parts of the game (i.e : the DVD cases/covers in the video shop are literally "blobs") and the - pretty much - empty city, I can understand that it was the same in NMH1 but that was ages ago and it gives the game this very, very budget feeling.
At least, it runs at a rock solid 60fps compared to the abominable framerate of the switch version.

On the plus side, the combat is the best it's ever been since it's very fluid, features nice animations and is more complex than ever with perfect dodges, perfect counters, grabs, jumping attacks and various unlockable moves.
Exploration is fine, bike feels fine/fun to ride, all the classic NMH1 minigames are there and the overworld, while barren and sterile as fook it gives this very chill/relaxed feeling when doing chores/exploring etc due to its clean and uncluttered look (maybe it was done on purpose like this?) in conjunction with the chill jazzy soundtrack in the background, I really like it, the game really is greater than the sum of its parts, still, this is a budget release through and through and IMO, it should have released at no more than 30-35 bucks/eurotrons.

To sum it all up :
- Game runs perfectly fine at 60fps but everything is really low budget and it shows.

- Texture loading issues/bad texture work.

- Plays perfectly fine and it's very enjoyable if you are a NMH/Suda51 fan.

PS: how I wish for a high budget Suda51 game - maybe the games would lose their edgy/hipster/punk "soul" that way and yet, I can help but wonder what the results would be.
I played it, I thought it was 💩

I was really looking forward too it, after playing killer is dead earlier in the year 2022 via BC on the series x, what I honestly thought was a much better game in every way, the moment I finished KID, I went straight back for a hard playthrough & then preordered this.

Probably my biggest disappointment off the year 2022 tbh.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I played it, I thought it was 💩

I was really looking forward too it, after playing killer is dead earlier in the year via BC on the series x, what I honestly thought was a much better game in every way, the moment I finished KID, I went straight back for a hard playthrough & then preordered this.

Probably my biggest disappointment off the year tbh.

Can't blame you brother, at first, the game leaves you with a VERY bad impression due to the technical problems i mentioned and the - generally speaking - low budget feeling which is almost palpable, and yet, it really does get better after you put some time in it, again, this is a game which is greater than the sum of its parts, after a couple of hours everything will just "click" and you'll stop worrying about the technical shortcomings etc...
I mean, I bought the game, left it sitting there kinda disgusted and started it up again the other day - put 5 hours into it in just 2 day's time - it just "clicked" for me in the end.

Have to agree on Killer is dead, that's a much better produced game through and through 😉

Cheers

anthony2690

Banned
Can't blame you brother, at first, the game leaves you with a VERY bad impression due to the technical problems i mentioned and the - generally speaking - low budget feeling which is almost palpable, and yet, it really does get better after you put some time in it, again, this is a game which is greater than the sum of its parts, after a couple of hours everything will just "click" and you'll stop worrying about the technical shortcomings etc...
I mean, I bought the game, left it sitting there kinda disgusted and started it up again the other day - put 5 hours into it in just 2 day's time - it just "clicked" for me in the end.

Have to agree on Killer is dead, that's a much better produced game through and through 😉

Cheers
I finished the game, my thoughts:

I hated everything related to the open world, including all the mundane mini games/tasks.

Nonsensical/amusing story I expected and it kinda delivered.

Combat was good, but I hated there wasn't really levels at all and just battle areas that you go to via navigating the awful map.

Like you mentioned, about a second later stuff kinda loads in on every transition on the cutscenes.

I think over half the open world map is locked off with the red stuff and never accessible (apparently a switch limitation was the reason when building the game originally)

I just expected so much more after seeing how much newer than killer is dead this game is, and I felt like it regressed in pretty much every aspect, even story and wildness, killer is dead is absolutely wild.

Another trivial complaint, the achievements are mega bugged, I collected all them stupid stone head things to be awarded no acheivement 😞

Plus killer is dead looks better too, the art style and the way it oozes style throughout, hopefully killer is dead gets revisited one day.

Tbh it's the only game I've sold in the past few years as I don't tend to sell games, but I just didn't like it at all sadly :(

I really wanted too like it as well :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom