• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's "hardcore": Are Mario fans Zelda fan, Fire Emblem fans Xenoblade fans, Metroid Fans Pokemon fans?

I love Mario and Metroid but i would be a liar and a poser if I told you I was a Zelda fan. I've played them but not of the main series. I like Xenoblade but never place a fire emblem even though I main Thier character in Smash.

Are there Nintendo franchises you're a fan of but not to others?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Are there Nintendo franchises you're a fan of but not to others?
This goes without saying. Nintendo has dozens of franchises for different demographics so I doubt anyone is a fan of them all.

I love Zelda, Super Mario, Smash Bros, and F-Zero but never even played Pikmin or Animal Crossing nor do I intend to.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

I like Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon. Never liked Fire Emblem tho. Xenoblade is alright.

Codes 208

I mean, what kind of question is that? Thats like saying i have to like TLoU because i like bloodborne, or forza because i like halo.

No, i dont love *all* nintendo ip’s. I love mario, zelda, pokemon l, splatoon and metroid but i couldnt care less about f-zero, star fox, advance wars, FE or earthbound

Last edited:
Mostly care about Xenoblade, Zelda, Metroid and Fire Emblem. Don't really care about their other IPs as much, maybe some Pokemon or 3D Mario release on occasion.

Oh and I also love their 3rd party (2nd party?) stuff like Bayonetta and Astral Chain, but I wouldn't consider these 'Nintendo'.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fire Emblem used to be good before Awakening turned it into Waifu dating sim. Last good Fire Emblem game was Shadows of Valentia and before that Radiant Dawn. 3 Houses is just Fire Emblem High School Musical. Wish it just stayed medieval. Fire Emblem Heroes has done a lot of damage to the brand. I actually preferred Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Hilarious.

Pokemon lost it's luster. It's too samey and just relies on gimmicks. Legends Arceus was good though. But alas no Nidoking so it will remain forever trash in my eyes.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, Kirby are all fantastic.

Kid Icarus Uprising was amazing.

Splatoon stays fresh.

I love Astral Chain and I hope more is done with it. Probably my favorite new IP from Nintendo.

I like Animal Crossing but hate Pikmin.

Warioware is always fun.

My favorite RPG which is technically Camelot territory will always be Golden Sun.

Kings Field

I’m a Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, splatoon fan.

Mario is secondary to me but still important.

I don’t care about Pokémon or Fire Emblem, but to be fair I only played one fire emblem game years ago but im going to dive back into it soon and give it another shot.

Any recommendations where to start on switch with fire emblem?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No, and this is why people grouping them all under the “Nintendo games” tag clearly don’t play those games (not that they try to hide that fact).

I don’t have the slightest interest in Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing. I rather think Nintendo made way too many FE games in the last decade, while neglecting half a dozen good IPs of theirs. People say Nintendo don‘t follow trends, but that’s false. They just follow different trends from the biggest AAA players. They’ll gladly do ten games in the same vein if they’re cheap to make and can easily sell a few million copies.

SCB3

Why would I be all or nothing?

out of those listed I'd say I was a huge fan of Mario, Pokemon and Zelda, a fan of Metroid and Xenoblade and cannot stand Fire Emblem

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm not Mario fan but really like the games... Zelda fan? I don't think so but I really like them. Xenoblade fan? Hell yes, haven't played 3 but that's a franchise I think has no comparison in gaming space, fire emblem? I might be too, really like those games I just didn't like 3H and haven't played the latest one.

I'll say I'm not a Metroid fan while getting the games day one lol well same for mainline Zelda games.

I mean, what kind of question is that? Thats like saying i have to like TLoU because i like bloodborne, or forza because i like halo.

No, i dont love *all* nintendo ip’s. I love mario, zelda, pokemon l, splatoon and metroid but i couldnt care less about f-zero, star fox, advance wars, FE or earthbound
I think the question is justified for every platform for the consumer who is considered a core fan. For Nintendo, they have a very strong 1st and 2nd party games, and tend to not get a lot of multipl

nikos

Mario: Yes.
Zelda: Not really. Enjoyed some of them.
Fire Emblem: Not into strategy games.
Xenoblade: Played all of them, finished none of them.
Pokémon: Enjoy it to some extent. Didn’t grow up with it.

Last edited:
There's some Nintendo fans that love literally everything they do.

Me? I'm a meat and potatoes Nintendo fan. I like Metroid, Mario, Zelda. I'm not a fan of most everything else though, and even certain types of Mario, Zelda, or Metroid games are not what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I think the question is justified for every platform for the consumer who is considered a core fan. For Nintendo, they have a very strong 1st and 2nd party games, and tend to not get a lot of multipl
But not every genre is inticing to everyone, which was my point. Like, look at animal crossing, that game is very divisive here amongst gaffers and core Nintendo fans.

Its a question that generally irritates me as its very common with the gatekeeping mentality, “youre not a real fan if you dont like ____”
People just need to accept that tastes are subjective and not a single company out there can satisfy every possible customer

Last edited:
But not every genre is inticing to everyone, which was my point. Like, look at animal crossing, that game is very divisive here amongst gaffers and core Nintendo fans.

Its a question that generally irritates me as its very common with the gatekeeping mentality, “youre not a real fan if you dont like ____”
People just need to accept that tastes are subjective and not a single company out there can satisfy every possible customer
I think you are projecting a rhetoric that I, too, disagree with, gatekeeping.

Gaming is as much of an ecosystem as other brands like Apple, Google, and Samsung. The software and services they create and the core consumer that use them is being juxtaposed here with games developed for and by their respective hardware.

Whereas a casual Apple consumer will have an iPhone but use Gmail, a core consumer would use iCloud.

all I'm asking is, given that Nintendo Hardware is 90+% 1st and 2nd party titles, how much of that percentage is played by their core consumers?

Codes 208

I think you are projecting a rhetoric that I, too, disagree with, gatekeeping.

Gaming is as much of an ecosystem as other brands like Apple, Google, and Samsung. The software and services they create and the core consumer that use them is being juxtaposed here with games developed for and by their respective hardware.

Whereas a casual Apple consumer will have an iPhone but use Gmail, a core consumer would use iCloud.

all I'm asking is, given that Nintendo Hardware is 90+% 1st and 2nd party titles, how much of that percentage is played by their core consumers?
Well thats definitely a given. people buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games, but plenty of people will buy a switch for one or two games in particular (generally some like mario kart and/or zelda, pokemon or animal crossing) without the intention or interest of nintendo’s more niche titles like wario ware, splatoon, pikmin, xenoblade, etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE:
Xenoblade
Most Mario games
Kid Icarus Uprising
Zelda
Fire Emblem
Luigi's Mansion
Bayonetta
I only play one Kirby (the Forgotten Land) and really enjoyed it.
And new IPs like Astral Chain

I never got in to Metroid, Pokemon, Pikmin, ARMS, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm a neo-Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Pokemon, Kirby, and Metroid fan... At the very least I'm a casual Zelda fan. But if you asked me about Mario, Donkey Kong and such, I couldn't really care, and it depends on the title.

Ultimately, it's genre and aesthetic dependent. Nintendo has pretty good diversity of titles and genres.

Majukun

like mario, both 2d and 3d
like zelda, both 2d and 3d
i'm ok with 2d metroid, used to really like the prime games but fell out of it after the first game
equally fell out of the pokèmon franchise, X/Y were the games where i realized i had outgrow the franchise
still like fire emblem, but liked it better when it was 90's anime instead of 2010's anime
never touched a xenoverse game, i'm not into jrpg anymore.
only tried the demo for splatoon
loved kid icarus uprising, although it's a game that is physically painful to play
liked the luigi's mansion games, but not too much
grew up playing kirby, but now they are way to easy to be fun
if we wanna consider bayonetta a nintendo series, 1 is a masterpiece, 2 is one of the biggest disappointments i ever faced as a player, 3 is decent
probably missed some franchises

Neff

I like most Nintendo franchises with the exception of Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

Shifty1897

I'm a Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade fan. Advance Wars too.

I am a 2D Metroid fan but not a 3D Metroid fan.
I don't enjoy any of their other franchises.

Astral Dog

Of course, like any other game company, they release a wide selection of games, i don't have any interest in the most casual Nintendo releases(like the minigame collections)but appreciate they try to offer something for everyone, Ring Fit for example is an interesting concept, those guys who always complain Nintendo never makes anything new, don't buy the rad games that end up being more niche,ironically because they aren't branded Mario,Zelda or Pokemon

Anyways each of these series have some of my favorite games, and you appreciate what Nintendo brings to the table as a first party publisher since they are so different

Super Mario
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Bayonetta
Astral Chain
Donkey Kong
Xenoblade (mainly the first one tbh)
Kirby(sometimes, they are fun but too easy)

Vandole

Not at all. During the Wii U era I was a bit more open minded and played pretty much any game that arrived in the system, but generally I like my Mario games, my Zelda games and my Kirby games. The rest of the big franchises I could take or leave.

But just throwing it out there, I would also play more Punch-Out if they made the games.

PanzerCute

I am not a hardcore Nintendo fan but I can still answer the question as I have played on all their console since SNES.

I love old Zelda (the new ones are empty and boring AF, and not Zelda anymore imo), Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Fzero and Bayonetta (if that counts?) Metroid and Mario Kart are also cool.

The rest I have zero interest in.

Last edited:
I like every Nintendo series except for Fire Emblem, ________ Sports, and WarioWare. I love Mario, any Mario RPG, Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Paper Mario 1/2, Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Splatoon and Xenoblade. Star Fox is meh, but I would play it. And I like Metroid but I’m bad at the 2D ones. If you were to look at my owned Switch games I basically have bought every major franchise on Switch that has been ported or released.

So yes, between me and many others I know, there is an enormous crossover among Nintendo fans across many different series and genres. Just like PlayStation or Xbox owners.

Last edited:
I'm a good fan who'd jedi-trick Miyamoto into cancelling all this shit to greenlight FZero GX2 and then close shop.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Zelda. Mario. Metroid. Splatoon (Thanks for overlooking).

I wouldn't mind trying a fire emblem game, I liked the first Xenoblade, the second one I stopped playing because I hated the font they used (yes). Pokemon I just don't get, it's too ridiculous design for me.

TwiztidElf

Yes: Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, Advance Wars, Smash, Rhythm Heaven.

In between: Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Luigi Mansion, Pikmin, Pokemon, Xenoblade (Just want the time to jump in).

No: F-Zero, Metroid, Animal Crossing.

Doom85

I really like:

Mario, 2D and 3D
Paper Mario (the first two)
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong Country
Fire Emblem
3D Metroid
Pokemon
Splatoon
Earthbound
Kirby
F-Zero
Star Fox (either proper Star Fox or Adventures, not whatever bullshit Command and Zero were doing)
Yoshi
Fatal Frame (feels weird to think of it as Nintendo as it seemed like a PlayStation series to me due to it having the first three games)

I like:

Zelda (quite a few don’t click with me, and I personally don’t care for BOTW/TOTK. Honestly the only ones I really love are Wind Waker and Twilight Princess)

Am not into:

2D Metroid (it’s funny, I like some Metroidvania games, but 2D Metroid and Castlevania games don’t click for me)
Pikmin
Smash Bros (used to love it, but I felt burned out by the time I got to Ultimate)
Animal Crossing (I liked the GameCube game and the one on DS, but I never felt the urge to play anymore after that)
Luigi’s Mansion (the first game got repetitive to me fast. Maybe the sequels offer way more gameplay variety, but I’m not in a hurry to check them out)

I also want to give Xenoblade another shot, I think the first game was way overhyped compared to what it actually was for me, so I want to approach it again knowing it’s really good but nothing incredible (I feel JRPGs having their weakest gen with the PS3/Wii/360 era made some overhype Xenoblade 1)

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I like every Nintendo series except for Fire Emblem, ________ Sports, and WarioWare. I love Mario, any Mario RPG, Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Paper Mario 1/2, Yoshi, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Splatoon and Xenoblade. Star Fox is meh, but I would play it. And I like Metroid but I’m bad at the 2D ones. If you were to look at my owned Switch games I basically have bought every major franchise on Switch that has been ported or released.

So yes, between me and many others I know, there is an enormous crossover among Nintendo fans across many different series and genres. Just like PlayStation or Xbox owners.

How you have a Rayman avatar, which is one of the hardest 2D games and be bad at Metroid.

cireza

Fire Emblem and Xenoblade suck. And I am not going to endure open world at 30fps anyway. Which also excludes Zelda games. Mario is the very definition of average to me.

I like what Retro Studios do. And I like Metroid and Kirby too. These games have the best developers. Even though the last Kirby (full 3d) sucked as well. And Dread was a cleverly disguised corridor.

Not much to love but that's what happens when you constantly release the same games and try to kill any challenge in them.

daclynk

Fire Emblem used to be good before Awakening turned it into Waifu dating sim. Last good Fire Emblem game was Shadows of Valentia and before that Radiant Dawn. 3 Houses is just Fire Emblem High School Musical. Wish it just stayed medieval. Fire Emblem Heroes has done a lot of damage to the brand. I actually preferred Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Hilarious.

Pokemon lost it's luster. It's too samey and just relies on gimmicks. Legends Arceus was good though. But alas no Nidoking so it will remain forever trash in my eyes.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, Kirby are all fantastic.

Kid Icarus Uprising was amazing.

Splatoon stays fresh.

I love Astral Chain and I hope more is done with it. Probably my favorite new IP from Nintendo.

I like Animal Crossing but hate Pikmin.

Warioware is always fun.

My favorite RPG which is technically Camelot territory will always be Golden Sun.
Friends Hug GIF by MOODMAN

OuterLimits

Love Fire Emblem and Xenoblade series. Advance Wars also.
really like Mario games, including Mario Rabbids(both games)
Was never a fan of Zelda until Botw. Tears of Kingdom is great.

Metroid is ok I guess.
Not a fan of Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

How you have a Rayman avatar, which is one of the hardest 2D games and be bad at Metroid.

OG Rayman one of my all-time favorite games. And played it on the Saturn, no less!

Agreed. I don’t know, it was the only game for Saturn I had for a long time and I just love it. Never got past Band Land for the longest time, and then I think the furthest I ever made it was the mountain badlands area.

I maybe it’s that Metroids have really challenging enemies all through the levels, and the map design is full of backtracking and finding secrets. Rayman levels are challenging, but linear.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The only Zelda games I liked were the original NES game and A Link to the Past on SNES. I like Mario and Metroid 2D, but I don't care for Metroid Prime. Don't like Pokémon but love Pikmin. Never played Fire Emblem or Xenoblade. Love Mario Kart and F-Zero. Can take or leave Starfox and Splatoon. There's no rule that says you have to like everything Nintendo makes.

Astral Dog

According to a certain narrative, “Nintendo fans” will buy everything the company puts out.
People who say that are almost guaranteed to have bought GTAV on every single gaming platform they own, btw.
i know this is a joke but i seen some people that do and was kinda curious🤭 around the time Switch Sports came out they were mad it was just a bunch of minigames(when Nintendo never promised more than that)but they bought it day one anyway because "there was nothing else",on some Youtube comments , the vibe i got was because it was a widely marketed Nintendo game they can't simply ignore 😬

Top Bottom