• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Taking Over 2023

Well that was a shitty Playstation showcase. No real surprises. They have Spiderman 2 and the Final Fantasy games this year.

Then we have XBOX which feels like they’ve already given up. Starfield is about it. Their showcase seems to have no hype around it.

And here is Nintendo.

On the heels of releasing Tears of the Kingdom which made the WHOLE INDUSTRY STOP from, by all accounts, being the game of the forever. We know the Switch 2 is on the horizon and they haven’t announced a single game beyond Pikimin 4 which is out in a couple months.

Nintendo is about to take over 2023. Get your butts ready. Gigaton announcements incoming.

So much they could show that we know is in the works from a new system, metroid prime 4, a new mario, donkey kong, zelda dlc & the wind waker/twilight princess releases. And thats just the stuff we KNOW ABOUT.

Its time. “Everything else is childs play”

mysqhZG.jpg

MagnesD3

Dude nintendo has Zelda this year and thats basically it, a game that took 6 years to develop and isnt very different from the original BOTW. Nintendo has been stinking it up too, I'm just waiting for them to pacify me with an incredible 3d mario so I can go back to hoping for nothing from them again because leading nintendo doesnt do much in the second half of their console's life span so whats the point.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah, agree. I mean, Nintendo is unpredictable, and being the current market leader, they can simply not release anything else from them and they would be just fine. But even if there is no "Mario Oddysey 2" kind of game for the second half, I doubt they will go for the rest of the year with just Scarlet and Violet DLC.

So yeah, the Sony Direct was VERY dissapointing.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It mays be the best game ever but its onlys one game

Nintendos doesnt released enough games like Zeldas to hold my interests buts I will be enjoying its all year

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

MagnesD3

Yeah, agree. I mean, Nintendo is unpredictable, and being the current market leader, they can simply not release anything else from them and they would be just fine. But even if there is no "Mario Oddysey 2" kind of game for the second half, I doubt they will go for the rest of the year with just Scarlet and Violet DLC.

So yeah, the Sony Direct was VERY dissapointing.
Never doubt the common arrogance that come's from being in the lead. Trust me I play fighting games lol.

Woopah

After the PS Showcase we should learn not to get our hopes up, as it doesn't sound like there is a Direct soon.

I think they are saving themselves for a Switch 2 reveal in early 2024, so the next Direct will only focus on the next 5 month (but still show several new games for that time)

Dude nintendo has Zelda this year and thats basically it, a game that took 6 years to develop and isnt very different from the original BOTW. Nintendo has been stinking it up too, I'm just waiting for them to pacify me with an incredible 3d mario so I can go back to hoping for nothing from them again because leading nintendo doesnt do much in the second half of their console's life span so whats the point.
Zelda is one of the 7 games they are publishing in the first 7 months of the year. They'll have more 2023 games to reveal.

Mozzarella

I dont care, all i care about is good games.
I dont care about how well Xbox or Sony or Nintendo doing, and i also dont worry about their finical status and future projects, i can barely care for my own business.

Lunarorbit

My friends are baffled why I haven't bought totk. I'm just not excited about alot Nintendo puts out nowadays.

I honestly think as I've gotten older the lack of releases from some of their storied franchises has just turned me off to buying their stuff.

MagnesD3

My friends are baffled why I haven't bought totk. I'm just not excited about alot Nintendo puts out nowadays.

I honestly think as I've gotten older the lack of releases from some of their storied franchises has just turned me off to buying their stuff.
Yeah thier new target demographic is clearly not me, Splatoon the online multiplayer focused avatar character game and Xenoblade/FE the anime rpgs don't cut it for me.

K' Dash

Im a certified Nintendo fanboy, but saying the showcase was a bust? What?

Spidey, AW2, FF16, MGS3R are fucking MASSIVE, if this do not impress you, I don’t know what to say.

With that said, TOTK is GOTY for sure.

Last edited:

flying_sq

Someone is really going to have to explain the hype behind these last two Zelda games. I recently played breath of the wild for the first time a couple months ago. I made it a couple hours into the game and put it down. Ran around for a bit, got the magnet glove, climbed that first tower. The game then told me to go northeast, got into some combat. Found out I have to stop what I am doing to collect food and cook it to heal. Saw where they wanted me to go was on the edge of the map. Just said screw this and stopped playing. The breakable weapons just lead me to using the crappiest stuff saving the one axe or something I found because I didn't know when I would need it.

I thought it was one of the most tedious games I have played in awhile. Then everyone is freaking out about this second one because they added Nuts N' Bolts to it with some new areas.

Knightime_X

I aint fallin for it.
they'll announce a subpar 30fps mud texture jaggy staircase simulator and you will buy it day 1

Last edited:
Or more likely. Nintendo has released zelda are are gonna sleep til november where a pokemon DLC will be their holiday game.
You really think Nintendo will have NOTHING else the rest of the year? Not a chance.
You say this like these aren't going to be massive releases.
They will be awesome, no doubt about it. But they are a known quantity. Albeit they are not first party, they are exclusives. But there is no suprises for Sony. This is it. Nintendo on the other hand, is about to be handed 2023. All the hype will be theirs with just a couple announcements.
There is a reason you haven’t heard a single word from Nintendo about the second half of this year. There is about to be an onslaught of announcements. Next month will be VERY interesting.
Wow…simmer down. Your fanboy is showing
Im a fanboy of all 3 actually. I was ready to be blown away by Sony. The letdown from their showcase is precisely why the realization of Nintendos position and this thread was made. Now simmer down, your lack of enthusiasm for gaming is showing.

Again, there is a reason Nintendo has NOTHING announced for the 2nd half of this year. There is about to be some BIG news from them next month.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So Nintendo going to take over 2023 because of one to two big games ?

Nintendo on their 480p 30 fps console. Can't even play my Nintendo Switch because it looks like crap on my LG C1 oled.
Man I don't understand this really. I hooked my Switch up to my ~60inch LED 4k Television for the first time the other day just to see what it looked like.. I don't wanna go back to my 1080p television for it, the colors pop and everything looks great. Granted I've only played TotK but my standards must be off.

Why not actually wait for them to actually announce something?

rather than getting HYPED about the fact that they might have an announcement of something coming.
Because hype is half the fun.

Hype is why so many people watched the PlayStation Showcase

Hype is why E3 was christmas to us.

Hype is why videogames sell at full price.

Without hype, we are left with just facts and opinions. No ceremonies. No anticipation. No hope.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why not actually wait for them to actually announce something?

rather than getting HYPED about the fact that they might have an announcement of something coming.
Because Nintendo always do the same: Wait for megatons to be close enough and then show them all at the same time like they were nuking the whole industry.

Zelda is an exception, I have the hypothesis they announce Zelda games way too early to generate hype and anxiety on players expecting it. Other games like Bayou 3 and Metroid Prime 4 were pushed way too early because they needed whatever to make Switch look attractive, remember they were coming from one of the lowest point in their history.

But in general Nintendo is like "hey, this is what's up for the following half of the year... And a couple more for next year" after being silent for months.

Man I don't understand this really. I hooked my Switch up to my ~60inch LED 4k Television for the first time the other day just to see what it looked like.. I don't wanna go back to my 1080p television for it, the colors pop and everything looks great. Granted I've only played TotK but my standards must be off.
I've got a 65" LG OLED as well. Metroid Prime Remastered and Mario Kart 8 looks good, but BOTW for example is a jaggy, shimmering washed out mess. It's really tough on the eyes.

Super Mario Odyssey looks better but you can still clearly see it's running at sub-1080p making it shimmer a lot. It's really too bad.

Hell, even the UI looks really bad. But whatever, if that's the only way to play the games on original hardware on TV then so be it. 😑

Looks to me like they've got the year locked up:

xScbE1a.png

Already two 10/10 releases. They could be done for the year and I’d be satisfied. Not expecting much this holiday season as the next 3D Mario game has to be a launch title for the next console. I bet we get some solid B tier games in fall though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo deserve it though. Every year they have consistently released top quality games...every year of the switch I was buying great games I thoroughly enjoyed.

They're simply the best and need to be cherished. I hope the switch surpasses ps2 and when the switch 2 launches next year...I'm there day one with icing on top!

MrMephistoX

TOTK is my game of the generation but I’m doubtful they have anything else new to show this year that’s going to be even 2 steps below in the same league as that. Nintendo has released sequels on Switch to every major franchise so unless Metroid Prime 4 is ready to go I dint think we’ll see anything more exciting from them till switch 2: hell I hope MP4 is a launch title at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom