• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Listed on French Retailer Website, 399€

StormCell

How many of y'all wanna bet that it won't even be XBOX ONE level?

TBF, most Nintendo fans expect it will be a slightly beefed up Switch. Not really even in the same neighborhood as an XB1. They think it's meant to be a refresh and not a whole new platform.

At $400, it would have to be a whole new platform, imo.

Holammer

$399 seems like a lot for this. But then again this is Nintendo and people will still run out to buy this.
A switch already costs 299 so yeah, *buuuut* it might be a bridge too far. Resulting in another disappointing hardware generation.
Nintendo got away with poorly selling consoles like N64 & GC because they had crazy strong handheld products covering for them. The WiiU's failure really stung as the 3DS performed poorly as well and Nintendo suffered a real crisis. If this next generation hardware fails, they only have the mobile market as backup.

Majukun

i'm only interested on a switch pro if this means the normal switch going down in price..but if it's priced higher then...damn :/

Marvel14

Banned
Your putting too much faith in an old nvidia chip. It is going to be using DLSS for sure because there's no way natively they could achieve any local rendered 4k even if it was scaled.

I'm more bummed that the screen is 720p even though its a OLED. Kind of sad that screen spec wise it's getting what Vita had back in 2013.
Do you really get to see extra pixels and definition though given the limitations imposed by the screen size?

Last edited:

StormCell

I don’t want to for that price but it will be more worth it than what these “next gen” consoles launched with!
Perhaps, if BotW2 launches alongside it or at least releases within the first few months. Plus, there is the backwards compatibility with the Switch library, which in this Nintendo fan's opinion is up there in terms of quality with Xbox Game Pass but not in value (although I suppose that's arguable).

TAS

A 400€ machine makes me think this will be a 3rd pillar in the Switch family. They are not going to risk discontinuing the base Switch to replace it with a much more expensive upgrade--at least not in the immediate future. I'm remembering Iwata's words of a family of devices. Nintendo knows the hardcore base is loyal to a fault, so even at this price point at minimum 30-40% will buy the premium version without hesitation. That's enough to entice 3rd parties to bring over the big games that the base Switch cannot handle. Three different price points with the added 3rd party support for a premium model is a win-win scenario imo.

Elysion

Banned
At 399 this thing better be a monster; this is a hundred bucks more than the Switch launch price. Even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which were significant upgrades targeted at enthusiasts, didn‘t go above the original launch prices of their base models.

Esppiral

At 399 this thing better be a monster; this is a hundred bucks more than the Switch launch price. Even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which were significant upgrades targeted at enthusiasts, didn‘t go above the original launch prices of their base models.
I may live in an alternative reality.

Fbh

Rather expensive but hopefully the specs are worth it, Nintendo always maximizes profit so if it was anything under $399 there was little chance of the upgrade being substantial.

With that said no thx. Even if it launches with some cool enhanced games (BotW2, Bayonetta, etc). They already tricked me with the cool launch linup once with the OG switch

Dream-Knife

Banned
Why pay $400 for this when all the games will still work on the OG switch, and the real new console will come out in 2 years?

TwistedSyn

I sold my Switch late in the pandemic since there just was nothing to play and also the rumors of a pro switch were coming out. If Nintendo is selling this at that price, I better see no more frame dips in my games.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Funnily though they'll translate that to exactly $399. Fuck finance class. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

It works out right once you account for the included EU VAT ;)!

€399 - 25% vat = €299 converts to $366 US and add ~10% local tax = ~$399.

Edit. Saying that the US is a huge market (and less consumer protections) so will usually have a lower price than smaller markets.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
A switch already costs 299 so yeah, *buuuut* it might be a bridge too far. Resulting in another disappointing hardware generation.
Nintendo got away with poorly selling consoles like N64 & GC because they had crazy strong handheld products covering for them. The WiiU's failure really stung as the 3DS performed poorly as well and Nintendo suffered a real crisis. If this next generation hardware fails, they only have the mobile market as backup.
They are the market leader right now. They’re not really coming at this next SKU in a position of weakness

If the Pro model fails they will still be fine because the switch is a massive success, they still have a huge install base.

balt1kr1s

Front part of my brain is still thinking that even OLED screen from Nintendo is wishful… thinking lol let alone 4k docked.

But reptile one hopes for a reason to get Switch back again.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I like how everyone seems to believe the price is set while every other feature is anything but confirmed.

Considering Nintendo's usual pricing for their hardware, €399 is off every chart ever. 3DS and WiiU was when Nintendo went crazy with launch price, and not even those dared this much. So the possibilities are:
a) this thing is a beast, a true generational leap over current Switch (unlikely)
b) it has features beyond improvements on what the current Switch has (again, unlikely. Can't see Nintendo really trying 3D, dual screen or something like that again)
c) that price is nothing more than a placeholder (methinks this is the most likely one)
d) Nintendo is back to arrogant mode (always possible)

Tarin02543

I admit, the oled screen sounds too good to be true. I'd say at best we might get a switch xl, with large lcd screen with same soc and some reworked joycons. Absolutely no DLSS.

If this update does not even exist at all I would find it normal.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Does the rumour of an OLED screen and the higher than usual Nintendo price, indicate a possible VR/handheld/console hybrid device?

Astral Dog

Your putting too much faith in an old nvidia chip. It is going to be using DLSS for sure because there's no way natively they could achieve any local rendered 4k even if it was scaled.

I'm more bummed that the screen is 720p even though its a OLED. Kind of sad that screen spec wise it's getting what Vita had back in 2013.
Vita didn't even had 720p though

And Switch is too weak for 720p,there are so many sub native games, the resolution is low ish because the system is still pushing high end portable graphics.

OLED is a ny upgrade without pushing the system again, Switch 2 is were they will increase the screen resolution

Astral Dog

I admit, the oled screen sounds too good to be true. I'd say at best we might get a switch xl, with large lcd screen with same soc and some reworked joycons. Absolutely no DLSS.

If this update does not even exist at all I would find it normal.
Switch is higher than average tech for Nintendo, it sold very well at $300 so im not surprised they are trying something new for the premium model

Plus they teamed up with Nvidia wich is where the DLSS rumors come from, i think its gonna be interesting

Last edited:
I'm 95% sure it will be Xbone level, at least in docked mode. Nvidia flops > GCN flops, so something like 1 TF should be enough to beat Xbone. Also the CPU will be much better of course.
I think this will be the case too. Makes the most sense... I predict 8GB of LDDR4 and a custom Tegra based on the Parker architecture that is somewhat down clocked from base spec for power consumption.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Here Switch OG cost 350EUR (also EU location), so this shit is going to be rather expensive.

I am still worried about ban warning I have, so I would not add my opinion.

That's almost as much as a PS5 Digital Edition in the UK :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Don't care. Day-1 preoerder for me, while still on my long quest for a disc PS5.

Name wise? It's rumored to have an OLED screen, so there will probably be something in the name to reflex that.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I like how everyone seems to believe the price is set while every other feature is anything but confirmed.

Considering Nintendo's usual pricing for their hardware, €399 is off every chart ever. 3DS and WiiU was when Nintendo went crazy with launch price, and not even those dared this much. So the possibilities are:
a) this thing is a beast, a true generational leap over current Switch (unlikely)
b) it has features beyond improvements on what the current Switch has (again, unlikely. Can't see Nintendo really trying 3D, dual screen or something like that again)
c) that price is nothing more than a placeholder (methinks this is the most likely one)
d) Nintendo is back to arrogant mode (always possible)
D) is very likely.

Top Bottom