• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Outsells PS1 Worldwide - Sales

Spacefish

Are you stating the Gamecube and/or the Wii U ever even came close to sniffing 100 million in sales?!? And then with a straight face suggest the software sales on the Switch haven't completely BONECRUSHED software sales for those systems?
Go Away GIF
I don't think you understand what I'm saying, GBA + gamecube was over 100mil, 3ds + wii u was 90+. These were times when people were talking about how Nintendo was going to go out of business or exit the hardware game. This is more an interesting look at how the consumer base has always been clueless about how successful Nintendo was.

Last edited:

Mozza

the market is any gamer from casual to hardcore, just between switch and PS4 they surpass your 180 million number, add to that xbox one, pc and mobile and you get an idea of the size of the industry
True enough, but my reply was bases on somebody suggesting selling 100 million consoles is not as big an feat as it was in he past, and I do not feel this is correct, as the core video game market is pretty much the same it was in the PS2 days.

The Switch has a potentially bigger market, but this is not without it's problems, as the more casual gamers are prone to be more fickle, so one generation you are at a 100 million or so with the Wii, then only 13 million with the Wii U, hopefully Nintendo will find the right balance with this going forward with the Switch 2, early indicators are good in the fact we are not seeing the sharp drop off in hardware sales as with the Wii U, although with the Switch there is little alternative like there was from cheaper tablets and smartphone devices for the Wii and DS.

It does if it's the same market, but it isn't the same type of product/market.

In an alternative timeline where the Switch doesn't exist and Nintendo quits the industry, where do you think the money goes? Soaring board game sales? Microwaves sold out everywhere? Huge increase in the sale of burritos?

If the answer is that it would mostly go towards other videogame hardware and software then it's the same market.

Neff

and 20 years later PlayStation Classic crashed and burned at retails, with huge amount of unsold units that no one wanted to buy just a couple weeks after launch...

It was a total piece of crap, that's why.

A PSone classic done right would have been an instant purchase for me. Sadly though we got poor emulation, a mediocre selection of titles, and PAL versions (!) in NTSC regions.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why do you think all the major video game market trackers around the word consider PS5, Switch and Xbox Series part of the same market?
Because the Nintendo brand fame started with consoles and Switch is all they currently make.
Other devices(Asus and Samsung phones for example)that do the same as Switch (even more actually)aren't included because they don't have a similar history as Nintendo.

Nothing more to say on this.

Woopah

Because the Nintendo brand fame started with consoles and Switch is all they currently make.
Other devices(Asus and Samsung phones for example)that do the same as Switch (even more actually)aren't included because they don't have a similar history as Nintendo.

It has nothing to do with brand. PS1 was tracked as a dedicated video game device because that's what it was. Didn't matter what products Sony before. Same with Microsoft and Xbox.

Switch is tracked as a dedicated video game device by NPD, Famitsu, GfK and others before it because that is what it is. Just like how the PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox One, DS, Wii U are all dedicated video game device too. IPhones and Google Pixels are not included in this list because they are not dedicated video game devices.

It was a total piece of crap, that's why.

A PSone classic done right would have been an instant purchase for me. Sadly though we got poor emulation, a mediocre selection of titles, and PAL versions (!) in NTSC regions.

The worst part is that it's not a total piece of shit. The device itself is well made with a good mold and detail, the controller is identical to my OG PS controller. Whoever was in charge of loading up the roms into the system though were a bunch of fuckwits though. Once cleaned out and loaded with proper games and not the 50fps PAL versions it's actually a pretty cool little retro console.

Neff

The worst part is that it's not a total piece of shit. The device itself is well made with a good mold and detail, the controller is identical to my OG PS controller.

Agreed, it's well constructed and looks great. And in fairness it did come to light that a lot of games got tested through it which either didn't happen in the final product due to emulation issues or licensing problems.

Marvel14

Banned

There's enough material in these here posts to run an ad explaining the value of taking economics and business courses...

I look forward to the Nintendo toaster oven duking it out with the PlayStation 7.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo Switch Art GIF by tobycooke

Being able to play great games on the go and continue them at home seamlessly is great.

I just wish the fabled 3DS teams got more Involved with software dev.

Last edited:

CobraAB

I am sort of shocked. Nintendo handhelds have never done well. 🙄

Yeah, i know ir can be used like a console but who are we really fooling here>

Its a handheld firstmost.

Last edited:

Woopah

I am sort of shocked. Nintendo handhelds have never done well. 🙄

Yeah, i know ir can be used like a console but who are we really fooling here>

Its a handheld firstmost.
I think trying to classify it as "stationary first" or "handheld first" is missing the point. Its a hybrid (or at least the two most popular models are).

Last edited:
Switch shipped 103.54m, 10.67m for the quarter. Vgchartz estimates were very close, they had Switch selling 10.60m in Q3, so just 0.07m out.

and 20 years later PlayStation Classic crashed and burned at retails, with huge amount of unsold units that no one wanted to buy just a couple weeks after launch...
Yep and to ignore the Japanese Third Party support the Switch has been getting makes me laugh. I played so many third parties on Switch. It has great third party support just not the western support these guys are looking for. I play lot of Indies too

Top Bottom