• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo really needs to step up their game as the biggest IP cross over...

levyjl1988

Banned
Nintendo has brought over one of the biggest IP crossovers with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, its roster is unprecedented. Spanning multiple video game franchises...
jcSgYMR.jpg

Rqj452y.png

but now they have some serious competition with Fortnite.
Fortnite is getting huge with many IP deals... and it's STILL growing.
PQjE4NB.jpg

(sorry I couldn't find an image on google with all the collaborations in one picture)

I'm just curious how will the next Super Smash Bros. top this?
To go beyond Ultimate?
If the newer Super Smash Bros. roster is smaller than Ultimate then we have an instant fail of a series successor. It's gonna be similar to Pokemon and Dexit and remove any type of positive fan reaction and just emit a lot of hate and backlash.
What franchises can Nintendo include to top this behemoth? Expectations are at an all-time high now.
What series should be represented in the next Super Smash Bros. game?

How will Super Smash Bros. as a franchise EVER top Fortnite?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Nintendo has brought over one of the biggest IP crossovers with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, its roster is unprecedented. Spanning multiple video game franchises...
jcSgYMR.jpg

Rqj452y.png

but now they have some serious competition with Fortnite.
Fortnite is getting huge with many IP deals... and it's STILL growing.
[/URL][/URL]
PQjE4NB.jpg

(sorry I couldn't find an image on google with all the collaborations in one picture)

I'm just curious how will the next Super Smash Bros. top this?
To go beyond Ultimate?
If the newer Super Smash Bros. roster is smaller than Ultimate then we have an instant fail of a series successor. It's gonna be similar to Pokemon and Dexit and remove any type of positive fan reaction and just emit a lot of hate and backlash.
What franchises can Nintendo include to top this behemoth? Expectations are at an all-time high now.
What series should be represented in the next Super Smash Bros. game?

How will Super Smash Bros. as a franchise EVER top Fortnite?
Comparing Smash to Fortnite is like comparing a Schwarzwälder in a deluxe restaurant to a Kinder delice in a garbage house.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

If Nintendo ever released Smash on all platforms (including PC) with online cross play, the sales numbers would be astronomical.

I love Smash, but I just simply don't like playing on Nintendo consoles and their shitty online service.

radewagon

I like Smash despite the pretty substandard gameplay. If Smash wants to stay relevant in an era where crossovers between brands are no longer a rarity, I suggest they focus on fixing the floaty imprecise controls/combat.

BlackTron

They never set out to have the biggest IP crossover. They just tried to make the best Smash and happened to become the biggest crossover along the way.

They won't be bothered if there's a bigger crossover somewhere else and they won't seek to rectify that situation...

MAtgS

If Nintendo ever released Smash on all platforms (including PC) with online cross play, the sales numbers would be astronomical.

I love Smash, but I just simply don't like playing on Nintendo consoles and their shitty online service.
Let me assure you: the online would still suck on every platform.

RCU005

They will never top Fornite in terms of crossovers but aren’t they just skins? (I don’t know, never played Fortnite)

Smash Bros has character with their own moves, stages and music (done beautifully I may say).

The next for Nintendo to top Smash Bros has to be Mario Kart. They need to turn it into an All stars Kart racing. They gave us a taste in Mario Kart 8 and there are so many characters and franchises too. Also, they can make items based on every franchise, and that would be amazing!

I’m playing Mario Kart Tour and there are new items that I like and new cool features such as the frenzy state, but those are still normal Mario Kart. We need character from every Nintendo franchise with their own tracks, items and karts. Also third party of course.

TexMex

Guys isn’t Capcom worried that Apex Legends is eclipsing Mega Man? Are they just going to sit back and let this happen??

The obvious difference is that you can still play as all those characters in Smash Bros, whereas most of those Fortnite crossover skins are now impossible to get if you're a newer player.

I hope Smash always stays gaming only. Fortnite is at the point of ridiculousness, and that’s it’s thing. The last thing I want is Smash to turn into some bizarro Shaq-Fu multiverse, even if the resulting soundtrack would be incredible.

I hope Smash always stays gaming only. Fortnite is at the point of ridiculousness, and that’s it’s thing. The last thing I want is Smash to turn into some bizarro Shaq-Fu multiverse, even if the resulting soundtrack would be incredible.
They totally should put Shaq-Fu into Multiverse. He'd beat the shit out LeBron.

Last edited:

Fbh

Smash is still by far the best crossover in that they actually put a lot of effort and care intro capturing the feel and style of each character.

Fortnite has a lot of characters but it's just not the same when you've got Kratos, Spiderman and Naruto shooting at eachother with machineguns.

Last edited:
Mario and All Stars Racing is the next step...yesterday, I played alot of Sonic and Sega all Stars Racing on Steam and it was hella good! Still got to get used to how the drifting works but I can tell the dev really loves Sega, so many Sega spanning characters available by default and unlockable too, never thought I'd be able to play as Billy Hatcher in a racing game XD that sensation from Mario Kart would be sublime

Last edited:

ManaByte

Smash bros tops every fighter out there in terms of sales and marketing, they don't need to top fortnite for shit. The one that should be doing that question is MS with COD and Halo.
BgTfJyC.png
Combine those 4 games and they don't come close to the Fortnite userbase.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Combine those 4 games and they don't come close to the Fortnite userbase.
That was not even the point of my post, I'm talking about smash sales compared to other fighting games. Since you are so smart, those 4 games alone are 142 million copies at $60 vs 80 million lifetime Fortnite players at "free to play"

ManaByte

That was not even the point of my post, I'm talking about smash sales compared to other fighting games. Since you are so smart, those 4 games alone are 142 million copies at $60 vs 80 million lifetime Fortnite players at "free to play"

Fortnite had 200M players in 2018, so they have even more now, and it makes more than $5-9 billion every year.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Fortnite had 200M players in 2018, so they have even more now, and it makes more than $5-9 billion every year.
No way in hell a game has that many players, Fortnite at most has 5 million concurrent players. Which is impressive, but not even close the 200m.

ManaByte

Last edited:
No way in hell a game has that many players, Fortnite at most has 5 million concurrent players. Which is impressive, but not even close the 200m.
I think they count anyone who has ever downloaded any version of Fortnite, even stuff where it comes pre-installed, etc

But, lol at ManaByte ManaByte being a Fortnite fanboy. Shocked. Not shocked.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
That's cool and all but I'm not even arguing about Fortnite's popularity, everyone knows Fortnite is a beast. My point is this thread makes no sense when smash is nothing like Fortnite, doesn't have the same business model or even player base and it's the most successful game of that genre.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I want to find all the people who said "Fortnite is a fad" and I want to touch their cheeks and forehead with my index finger while slowly, deeply, and repeatedly saying "You know nothing" to them.

Does anyone want to fess up and exchange contact information so we can do this in person?

Top Bottom