• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo job offer containing information about Next Generation hardware

mcjmetroid

Well DLSS if my understanding of the technology is correct should render resolution and image clarity issues an issue of the past which is my biggest issue with the Switch.

I don't care about the most detailed graphics or rendering the most things on screen but the blurry muddy screen puts me off playing Switch ports of other games and hell even Nintendo's Switch games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well DLSS if my understanding of the technology is correct should render resolution and image clarity issues an issue of the past which is my biggest issue with the Switch.

I don't care about the most detailed graphics or rendering the most things on screen but the blurry muddy screen puts me off playing Switch ports of other games and hell even Nintendo's Switch games.
Dunno, if feels with Nintendo it is always (in the end) a monkey paw’s wish:
Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

If developing “cross platform”. I think it men’s one of Two things.

1.) this is a NERD position so it is specifically talking about porting things to NSO…or…

2.) Nintendo Switch 2 is NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE because why would you need to develop for multiple platforms if BC?

Last edited:
Like PS5 vs PS4 version probably.
Which is what I kind of expect. PS5 is not fully BC with PS4.

I think this is best case scenario for Switch 2.

The other option is to not be BC and those games will re-release on Switch. I’m not sure the answer. Hopefully we get clarification soon.

ManaByte

My hype levels for new nintendo hardware is always through the roof and equally disappointing after reveal since the wii.
Keep thinking it's going to be different this time.
It’ll never be different. Iwata’s success with the Wii forever changed the company and they’ve never been more successful as a result. You won’t see a bleeding edge Nintendo console again. Accept it and enjoy the games.

It’ll never be different. Iwata’s success with the Wii forever changed the company and they’ve never been more successful as a result. You won’t see a bleeding edge Nintendo console again. Accept it and enjoy the games.
They definitely don't need to release bleeding edge hardware, but it's extremely disappointing that they're always so many years behind. Like, the Switch should at least have been able to pull off 1080p docked in all games. That would have been acceptable, at least.

Maybe the Switch successor will, but hoping for DLSS is borderline futile.

Last edited:

Lasha

Which is what I kind of expect. PS5 is not fully BC with PS4.

I think this is best case scenario for Switch 2.

The other option is to not be BC and those games will re-release on Switch. I’m not sure the answer. Hopefully we get clarification soon.

Which games arent?

Which games arent?
I don’t know. I don’t own a ps4/ps5. If you look it up. I believe it is the 400 most popular titles are bc.

Most people don’t remember this. During the reveal of ps5 it was only the top 100 or so. Good on Sony for expanding as time goes on.

I understand the financial reality of releasing games on Switch also as cross generation. My question is…If it was fully BC. Why would you not just release a Switch title with a software update for next gen?

You could argue that physical is very popular in Japan. This, Nintendo will make everything physical. It is, but that doesn’t stop Steam or ps5 sales being mostly digital.

The gaming industry is in some form of transition. (Again).

***So I’m not sure what to think here. My assumption is and has always been, this new Nintendo console is not fully BC. Do I expect many Switch titles to be on next gen, of course! Will it be free? No!!!***

Time will tell though.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
DLSS will be HUUUUUUUUGE.
Watch only 16% of games actually use it.
And of those 16% only 3% is actually 60fps. 1080p ps4 graphics, WOO!
Frankly, a PS4 Pro Switch would be perfectly fine, a new Zelda or Mario that can produce Last of Us 2 or Red Dead 2 quality of visuals would be pretty cool.

What I am most concerned about is the joystick and d-pad. They really need to upgrade those.

Woopah

1.) this is a NERD position so it is specifically talking about porting things to NSO…or…

2.) Nintendo Switch 2 is NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE because why would you need to develop for multiple platforms if BC?
I think it's just about making sure that the projects they work on are optimised for both platforms. I'm definitely expecting quite a few cross gen Nintendo games between Switch and Switch 2.
It won't.

If does have some form of DLSS I think that could be a game changer for the people who need POWA.
They definitely don't need to release bleeding edge hardware, but it's extremely disappointing that they're always so many years behind. Like, the Switch should at least have been able to pull off 1080p docked in all games. That would have been acceptable, at least.

Maybe the Switch successor will, but hoping for DLSS is borderline fufutile.
The leaked specs has Switch 2 being a significant bump and using DLSS.

ReBurn

Gold Member

This job description makes no mention that the next Nintendo device will or won't be backward compatible. It's very vague. It only makes a glancing reference to current and next generation hardware and "other Nintendo platforms." Other platforms likely means things NSO. Cross-platform could mean current console hardware and centralized network services, not necessarily cross-gen. It really doesn't have enough info to read that far into it.

This job is clearly for someone who is working on core software and network tech across Nintendo's ecosystem and helping game development teams integrate with those services. That's about all the insight there is here.

Chronos24

DLSS will be HUUUUUUUUGE.
Watch only 16% of games actually use it.
And of those 16% only 3% is actually 60fps. 1080p ps4 graphics, WOO!
If Nintendo put out PS4 graphics I'd be totally fine with that even in 1080p honestly. Probably because I expect so little in that department

ZoukGalaxy

If it wasn't from an official website, I wouldn't believe the "NERD" thing or I would put it in a very late April fool joke.
The whole thing is pretty hilarious and definitely intentional.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I don’t know. I don’t own a ps4/ps5. If you look it up. I believe it is the 400 most popular titles are bc.

Most people don’t remember this. During the reveal of ps5 it was only the top 100 or so. Good on Sony for expanding as time goes on.

I understand the financial reality of releasing games on Switch also as cross generation. My question is…If it was fully BC. Why would you not just release a Switch title with a software update for next gen?
When the PS5 released, only a handful of games didnt work, and still dont. it's like 5 or something like that, and none of those games are a loss, they are basically stuff you would find on a sales bin for like 5 dollars.

Woopah

You could argue that physical is very popular in Japan. This, Nintendo will make everything physical. It is, but that doesn’t stop Steam or ps5 sales being mostly digital.

The gaming industry is in some form of transition. (Again).

***So I’m not sure what to think here. My assumption is and has always been, this new Nintendo console is not fully BC. Do I expect many Switch titles to be on next gen, of course! Will it be free? No!!!***

Time will tell though.
When people buy a Switch 2 they will want Switch 2 software. So developers will make a Switch 2 version and Switch version of their games, just like we saw with PS4 and PS5 versions of games.

Knightime_X

What's innovating on a machine that doesn't get portable in 2023?

See? We can all play the same game.

Let's not pretend Switch didn't move the ground of the industry by some big magnitude.
Portability was a thing long before the switch.
Nobody complained when psp and ps2 coexisted or gamecube x GameBoy Advance.
Best part about psp was games were designed for it, and not shoehorn ported.

Games like Doom 2016 look like ASS on switch as well as many MANY other titles.
I'd be ok with switch's power as long as games looked like they were designed for it.
1st party games get it, A good chunk look good with some being serviceable. sadly 3rd party does not.

Reminds me of this meme:
unzxK8G.jpg

Last edited:

Woopah

Who cares about the power of the next console, when they can't even match the first party output of WiiU + 3DS and they keep re-releasing old gen games
Switch games will take longer to make than 3DS games, but nevertheless their first party output is broadly comparable to Wii U + 3DS in term of releases. They still publish about a game per month on average.

cireza

So these are actually details on previous-gen, considering that Nintendo are lagging behind by two gens.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Portability was a thing long before the switch.
Nobody complained when psp and ps2 coexisted or gamecube x GameBoy Advance.
Best part about psp was games were designed for it, and not shoehorn ported.

Games like Doom 2016 look like ASS on switch as well as many MANY other titles.
I'd be ok with switch's power as long as games looked like they were designed for it.
1st party games get it, A good chunk look good with some being serviceable. sadly 3rd party does not.

Reminds me of this meme:
unzxK8G.jpg
And Cyberpunk 2077 looks like ass on PS4 and Xbone. And Smash, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 3, etc. Look amazing on Switch, you just have to properly use the system. Can't believe I responded to someone shitting on the system using games made for more powerful hardware y completely different architecture lol

BTW, many here mentioning DLSS but the only "curious" thing about the job proposal is the "multiplatform" thing and as it's NERD, it's most probably an emulation thing.

Last edited:
I like how nerd evolved from a derogatory comment to "smart person who knows tech" over the years, lol.

It's still derogatory. That's why people shun nerd hobbies and careers still. People aren't just as aggressive about it these days and won't steal your lunch money.

Last edited:
Frankly, a PS4 Pro Switch would be perfectly fine, a new Zelda or Mario that can produce Last of Us 2 or Red Dead 2 quality of visuals would be pretty cool.
I'll be honest I still don't think we have the battery tech to push that amount of power needed for that level of quality on a tablet like device.

Top Bottom