• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2013

OP thanks for this thread. I refer to it often to see what is new. Any chance of including download sizes next to each title (especially the indie ones). There doesn't seem to be a good place on the net to get this info.

Guys, is Sonic 2 for Game Gear much better than the first one? I want to buy one of them, but I'm not sure which one.

Go with the first one. Sonic 2 on Game Gear is really terrible due to the cropped viewing area; it makes certain sections of the game a complete nightmare to play through. Master System's the best way to play 8-bit Sonic 2!

Could'a sworn Pilotwings was gonna be today. Oh well, looks like next week.

Is Mega Man X worth it? Never played it and I got a $5 coupon to use.

Absolutely. It's one of the cleanest. most well-designed 2D platformers of all time. And yes, I might be biased (for obvious reasons), but it's still true. Most would back me up on that whether they're hardcore Mega Man X fans or not!

Few weeks late, but I'm interested in trying out a Megaman Game.

In the few recent weeks, Nintendo has made many Megaman games easily available.

What is the best first impression I can get for the series?

NOT Mega Man 2. Seriously. It's great, but there are better games in the series and it's got these really random difficulty spikes (especially for the uninitiated) that just murder the game's momentum.

I'm going to put forth an unpopular opinion and suggest that you start with Mega Man 5. It's by far the easiest Classic series game (therefore making it the easiest to test the Mega Man waters with and see if the series is for you) and it's just really damn good and polished all around (though it's kind of lacking in the special weapon department). If you like 5, then move on to others like 2, 3, 6, etc. Ironically, you'll probably want to avoid 1 until you've really gotten a handle on the games and how they play, as it can be brutally tough at points.

EDIT: I just realized I'm assuming you're talking about/have access to the 3DS Virtual Console, for which Mega Man 5 is available. If you're talking about the Wii U Virtual Console (which only has 1-4 for now), then yeah, I'll recommend that you start with 2. Despite the random difficulty spikes, it's quite a bit easier on the whole than 3, and 4 is just kind of a good, but uneven experience for several reasons.

Maybe in August

Definitely not in July, though

You say this as if you're certain about it. Are you? Like, do you have an inside source? Or are you just hazarding a guess? I'm still trying to figure out why ONLY NoA is making us wait so fucking long for the new StreetPass content. It's so frustrating.

Seeing people giving Mega Man a try makes me happy as it's my #1 favorite gaming franchise. Out of curiosity, was it the Smash Bros reveal that got you interested in Mega Man?

Start with Mega Man 2!

It wasn't the Smash reveal, actually, as I've been cognizant of Megaman games getting released on both 3DS and Wii U VC for at least a few weeks longer than e3. A lot of what I've heard seems to push toward Mega Man X, but I have two direct recommendations toward Mega Man 2? Can I ask why 2 is better than X?

Edit: And one very much against Mega Man 2, as I posted this post. Would like to try but have limited time and tend to play lengthy games, so would like the best start possible to enjoy a very notable gaming mascot.

Drago

You say this as if you're certain about it. Are you? Like, do you have an inside source? Or are you just hazarding a guess? I'm still trying to figure out why ONLY NoA is making us wait so fucking long for the new StreetPass content. It's so frustrating.
Nah, just a joke about how NoA delayed everything that was releasing in July in Japan and Europe to August in North America. It wouldn't surprise me if they treated the Streetpass games the same way, as stupid as that seems. No idea why they were delayed in the first place.

zroid

Banned

He's just making a joke about how NoE and NCL are releasing a whole bunch of games in July, while NoA holds them back a month.

it's probably true though

edit: damn you, drago!

Nah, just a joke about how NoA delayed everything that was releasing in July in Japan and Europe to August in North America. It wouldn't surprise me if they treated the Streetpass games the same way, as stupid as that seems. No idea why they were delayed in the first place.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, NoA is so damn frustrating when it comes to stuff like this.

Hale-XF11

You just made me skip it :(

Kokuga made it to the Mexican eShop, yay! I'm probably grabbing it along with Spelunker.

Despite my initial reaction to the game, I'm actually really enjoying it. The first set of tracks are a cakewalk, but I've gotten to the point now where the difficulty is really ramping up and the tracks are getting a lot more interesting. I'm no longer just holding forward and accelerating, but I'm having to perform nuanced jumps across gaps and having to fight momentum in areas that could potentially slow me down, make me wipe out or send me backwards. So, it's getting better and more nuanced the more I play.

Creating my own tracks is even more fun though and super easy to do with the stylus. I got a really good workflow going and created a challenging and fun track for myself. Just wish I could share it though.

RM8

^ I ended up buying it because it's on sale after all. I'm finding it quite fun, actually :p Don't regret my purchase.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The CN spreadsheet has been updated again... a month behind, but hey, who's counting? http://clubnintendo.potchgult.com

I've gotten a report that Rhythm Thief on the 3DS has a 20 coin post play survey still -- can anyone confirm that? Many 3DS titles did have 20 coin post plays, but Nintendo changed all that a while back -- it sounds like Rhythm Thief might have slipped their notice.
When it's on your to-do list on the CN home page, it says 20. When you go to take the survey, the standard intro text says it's worth 10 coins as usual, but you do receive the full 20 in the end.

Metroid: Other M is still giving 50 coins when registered.

------------------------
End of the CN Year Suggestions: If you need some more points to hit Gold/Platinum, here are some potential "deals" on the eShops. Note that all the coin values listed are registration values; you'll still get post play coins for these in a week or so, but these are the coins you'll get right away:

20 cents per coin (10 for $1.99) -- 3DS
Samurai G

30 cents per coin (10 for $2.99) -- 3DS
Pokemon Dream Radar

40 cents per coin (5 for $1.99) -- 3DS
Gunman Clive
Crazy Chicken Pirates 3D
Bird Mania 3D
Rising Board 3D

40 cents per coin (10 for $3.99) -- 3DS
Super Little Acorns (on sale)

50 cents per coin (20 for $9.99) -- 3DS
Farming Simulator 3D
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
Puzzler Brain Games
Tetris Axis
Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D
Mahjong 3D – Warriors of the Emperor
Cave Story
THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave
Planet Crashers

50 cents per coin (20 for $9.99) -- Wii U
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
Nano Assault Neo

50 Cents per Coin - (30 for $14.99)
Deer Drive Legends, 3DS

50 Cents per Coin - (40 for $19.99)
Resident Evil the Mercenaries 3D, 3DS
New Super Luigi U, Wii U

DonMigs85

CALLING ALL URBAN TRIAL BUYERS
I think I may have discovered a bug - if I'm at the main menu of Urban Trial and attempt to switch to a different game (in this case, Animal Crossing New Leaf digital version) it just goes to a black screen. Then I have to force the 3DS off and restart it.
I was able to reproduce it twice. Not sure if it's Urban Trial or the 3DS system software's fault. They DID just release a new update too.

zroid

Banned
New 3DS system update? I just got a prompt when I tried to access the eShop.

edit: i guess this is old news, lol. doesn't do shit. :(

---

anyway, just to follow-up a bit on Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove Mini -- I didn't buy it, but I read up on it a little. It appears to features four stages, each with multiple difficulty levels. Basically, it's a glorified demo which they're charging $3.99 for. Real shady, Natsume.

Xbudz

I almost got super pissed when I saw Sonic 2... I thought they had skipped the 3D Classic version of Sonic 1 that is out in Japan.

Sega needs to get those out over there.
I am waiting to give them my money.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, how come us murricans haven't gotten the option to buy those extra street pass plaza modes yet? I want to give you my money Nintendo!

DonMigs85

CALLING ALL URBAN TRIAL BUYERS
I think I may have discovered a bug - if I'm at the main menu of Urban Trial and attempt to switch to a different game (in this case, Animal Crossing New Leaf digital version) it just goes to a black screen. Then I have to force the 3DS off and restart it.
I was able to reproduce it twice. Not sure if it's Urban Trial or the 3DS system software's fault. They DID just release a new update too.

It seems the bug may have something to do with Animal Crossing or the 3DS software... I tried loading Luigi's Mansion, then switched to Animal Crossing, and it got stuck on a blank screen again after the loading train

DonMigs85

Ok it seems that if I start Luigi first THEN switch to Animal Crossing, it loads fine.
Also I tried loading Urban Trial, then switched to Luigi, and it still loaded fine. Switching from Urban Trial to Animal Crossing ALWAYS freezes up for me.
But then if I switch from THAT Luigi (the session that was opened after Urban Trial) to Animal Crossing, it freezes again after the loading train!
Somehow it really seems that Urban Trial and Animal Crossing don't get along - maybe it's some sort of memory bug?

Man, how come us murricans haven't gotten the option to buy those extra street pass plaza modes yet? I want to give you my money Nintendo!
I have a US 3DS and have a huge convention thingo to go to today and tomorrow. All these Street Passes will mean nothing for my Plaza now :( No extra puzzle pieces to get because the PAL peoples don't have Dillions Rolling Western 2 or Brain Train Puzzles and those are the only 2 I have left to comp. Its just going to be stupid Find Mii 2 :(

I have a US 3DS and have a huge convention thingo to go to today and tomorrow. All these Street Passes will mean nothing for my Plaza now :( No extra puzzle pieces to get because the PAL peoples don't have Dillions Rolling Western 2 or Brain Train Puzzles and those are the only 2 I have left to comp. Its just going to be stupid Find Mii 2 :(

We do now.

PAL regions got the Dillon's Rolling Western puzzle a few days ago! =]

Edit: Beaten!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I know this doesn't add much to the ongoing conversation on this thread, but I have to ask for advice...

I'm torn between picking up Runner 2 and Nano Assault Neo.

Which of the two is the best in their respective genres? Help me, GAF.

I'd say Runner 2. (both good)

I stopped paying attention to the puzzles when they introduced the pink pieces. Made it pretty much impossible for those of us that scrounge maybe one or two passes a month to complete them when at least we could brute force it with Play Coins if we wanted in the past.

Guys, quick question. I've ordered an XL and want to download Animal Crossing, and was wondering if my Nintendo points on my Wii U can be accessed on my XL? If not, do I have to grab a new points card for my 3DS?

Thanks thread for reminding me that the Brain Training puzzle is also missing from Europe (I don't care about the game, hit me up with that puzzle though...)

Hmmm, new system update (EU). Have no idea what it changed.
I noticed the news post about the removed Fire Emblem demo is gone but the demo is not back on the shop. I'm not wasting a use that I'll never on my Fire Emblem demo to find out if it fixed that. The update seemed very quick in any case.

Galdelico

One question about 3DS downloads guys.

My niece dropped my 3DS on the floor and it got really weirdly broken... It got a crack on the top screen as well as on one joint. Point is, the console itself doesn't seem able to turn on again, the blue light bleeps for a sec then I hear a dying sound and the system - which is also out of warranty - turns off.
I was wondering, in case I'll ever get an XL, will I be able to recover all my eShop games (from the SD card which I saved) or are they lost?

redcrayon

It wasn't the Smash reveal, actually, as I've been cognizant of Megaman games getting released on both 3DS and Wii U VC for at least a few weeks longer than e3. A lot of what I've heard seems to push toward Mega Man X, but I have two direct recommendations toward Mega Man 2? Can I ask why 2 is better than X?

Edit: And one very much against Mega Man 2, as I posted this post. Would like to try but have limited time and tend to play lengthy games, so would like the best start possible to enjoy a very notable gaming mascot.

The original NES games are prime examples of awesome 8-bit games- simple but with tight controls. 2 is widely regarded as having great music and a more forgiving difficulty level than some of the others, in addition to the downsides of one of the weapons effectively making the standard arm cannon redundant for much of the game. Personally I think 3 is a better all-round MM title, but people have been arguing over that point for 20 years.

MMX is a different beast- the running speed, jump arc and tight controls are the same, but the addition of boosting and wall-kicks makes MMX far more manouverable, so you can really belt around the stages at speed and dodge the bosses attacks much more easily. Power-ups like health increases and armour pieces really make you notice X getting stronger which fits the plot really well, and the weapon set is awesome too, I love the flamethrower. Also beating some stages changes the environments in others, so it's worth going back to explore everything again before tackling the endgame.

Ultimately they are both awesome games, and the best MM games to start with as both are quite forgiving compared to some of the others. If you got into gaming more recently, I'd try X, it's much closer to modern 2D games than the NES games, there's more of a difference than the 5 years between MM2 and MMX would suggest. Also there's a bit of a difficulty spike in MM2 with Wily's castle, whereas MMX is a pretty smooth curve.

You really won't go wrong with either though, and the good thing is that if you like them, there's loads more where they came from!

I was wondering, in case I'll ever get an XL, will I be able to recover all my eShop games (from the SD card which I saved) or are they lost?
They're lost. SD card is encrypted and besides license to run to games is on system itself, SD card is just data. The only way to get the games back is to get Nintendo to repair the system.

However, if the system was stolen instead (and you had a police report verifying this and the serial number of the 3DS and/or Club Nintendo) Nintendo would reluctantly do the transfer.

That said in the past they have transferred Wii VC games over when people have sent in two systems but in those cases I believe both systems were working. It might be worth asking them. Of course if you to get the broken system able to work for 10 minutes you could do a system transfer.

Oh well, have a chance of finishing that, need 3 more pink pieces for it.
Dillon 2? Bear in mind the European distribution of the puzzle happened after the batch of 4 so that severely cuts down how many people have that puzzle and by extension the available pink pieces. On the plus side given how complete you are you'll help a lot of people* and the 5 pink Dillons pieces you have will massively improve circulation of those.

*-It really irks me when people are like "I got all the puzzle pieces so I've stopped streetpassing".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Out of warranty repairs for the 3DS aren't that much, you should give Nintendo a call or email and get your games back if the price is right.

Galdelico

They're lost. SD card is encrypted and besides license to run to games is on system itself, SD card is just data. The only way to get the games back is to get Nintendo to repair the system.

However, if the system was stolen instead (and you had a police report verifying this and the serial number of the 3DS and/or Club Nintendo) Nintendo would reluctantly do the transfer.

That said in the past they have transferred Wii VC games over when people have sent in two systems but in those cases I believe both systems were working. It might be worth asking them. Of course if you to get the broken system able to work for 10 minutes you could do a system transfer.

Thanks buddy.

Well, it doesn't seem able to stay on for more than 2 seconds... Really wonder how it could be so damaged by a drop. It's not even that banged, if you look at it. Warranty is expired too, so I don't know... I got 4-5 games from eShop, I wonder if getting a new console and forget about those games would be more or less expensive than getting this one repaired.

Out of warranty repairs for the 3DS aren't that much, you should give Nintendo a call or email and get your games back if the price is right.

Just read it.
Yeah, I'll surely see what they tell me about it. Thank you.

MarkusRJR

What are some good 500 point games on WiiWare? I have 500 points left over on my Wii U and was thinking about getting Muscle March, but I'm not sure what else there is that's good for that price point.

What are some good 500 point games on WiiWare? I have 500 points left over on my Wii U and was thinking about getting Muscle March, but I'm not sure what else there is that's good for that price point.
Tomena Sanner maybe? If it was 2 years ago I'd have said The Magic Obliesk but it's been delisted sadly.

OMG! DILLON 2 IS UP (presumably old news but I've had limited internet access lately)

and it's 30% off launch sale

*drives over to my old house to get proper internet to download it*

bbs

------------------------
End of the CN Year Suggestions: If you need some more points to hit Gold/Platinum, here are some potential "deals" on the eShops. Note that all the coin values listed are registration values; you'll still get post play coins for these in a week or so, but these are the coins you'll get right away:

20 cents per coin (10 for $1.99) -- 3DS
Samurai G....

50 Cents per Coin - (40 for $19.99)
Resident Evil the Mercenaries 3D, 3DS
New Super Luigi U, Wii U

Canadians, I bought Steel Diver for 2.99 new at EB. Bagged 50 coins (40 to register + 10 for post play survey). Which gives me 6 cents per coin.

Top Bottom